Sony “can’t afford to ignore SteamOS”, says Gara

Tuesday, 1st October 2013 23:23 GMT By Brenna Hillier

PlayStation UK boss Fergal Gara is keeping a very close eye on Valve’s plans to conquer the living room.

Gara told Eurogamer that Steam boxes are a potential threat to consoles, although he’s not worried just yet.

“In this market you’ve always got to expect some broadside disruptive technologies to come along, and it seems like a potentially good example of that,” he said.

“I haven’t had a chance to study it in much detail. What I would say is, I don’t think anything about it is significantly rattling our confidence at this point in time and what we’re doing as PlayStation.

“We have to keep an eye on Valve and many other competitors. We can’t afford to ignore it. Steam is arguably the pre-eminent digital download service for gaming. So we’ll watch it.”

Gara’s comments arose in the same interview in which he said that this console war is a marathon, not a sprint.

Thanks, CVG.

1. Erthazus

Oh yeah. Go Steam. Fuck em. Fuck em all.

Valve. Do it. announce Half-Life 3 too please! :D

#1 9 months ago
  2. daytripper

Valve really are a great company. I’ve been very impressed with what I tried with Steam and I can’t wait to see what games they have planned for this new generation. For the price, The Orange Box was the bargain of this generation imo, sublime.

We need Half Life 3 for fuck sake

#2 9 months ago
  3. fearmonkey

It would be sweet if valve would work with Sony and vice versa rather than try and compete.

(I know it will never happen..but one can dream)

#3 9 months ago
  4. DSB

Fergal Gara seems like a smart guy. Are you sure he’s an executive?

#4 9 months ago
  5. Xbone

PS4 and Xbone… more of the same.
    Steam… next-gen. Just look at that fuckin controller.

#5 9 months ago
  6. monkeygourmet

Just incase some people missed this:

#6 9 months ago
  7. Belazur

#5
    Dumb comment is dumb.
    And the controller looks dumb, too.
    “Look, look, I’m different” Meh controller.

#7 9 months ago
  8. dizzygear

@3 Well there was that Portal 2 crossplay thing for PS3 and Steam…

#8 9 months ago
  9. DSB

@8 That was a different Sony though.

Back then they were pretty open to third parties and they weren’t charging for online, so Valve thought there was a small chance that Sony might open their platform up.

But that’s dead and buried with their plans for this gen. They’d rather milk the online than open it.

I think that’s why Valve really started upping their efforts towards SteamOS and hardware.

#9 9 months ago
  10. pcbros

Nice to see Valve getting respect. Sony and Microsoft are being wise in not disregarding the Steam Machine.

Even the Ouya had potential… and technically still does.

#10 9 months ago
  11. Atmey

If the Kazekage says, it is true.

#11 9 months ago
  12. gomersoul

Am I the only one that thinks steam is not that great? It’s Xbox ones drm mixed with overpriced digital games, they might have good sales but never on things like cod, I hope this steam box thing works out for them but it seems way too complicated, why not have one machine to start with? The controller is interesting but if it isn’t better then it’s a waste of time. I think they’ll struggle to reach Sony and Ms. There is enough hardware to choose from as it is, and you can already have your pc in the living room, they aren’t doing anything revolutionary despite what the gamers with rose tinted glasses say

#12 9 months ago
  13. pcbros

@12 – More machines = more options. More options = better chance of owning a system that fits your needs and price range.

“they aren’t doing anything revolutionary despite what the gamers with rose tinted glasses say”

Who knows but then again, Microsoft and Sony are not really doing anything revolutionary either. I personally think we will surprised by Valve.

#13 9 months ago
  14. Maabren

I guess Sony and MS have to implement VR-glasses in 2014 or else Valve and Steam Machine would get an easy match. Free online and even better game-OS will give us much better games with 1080p and smooth 60 fps all over. And maybe 4k as well for those building or buying top notch hardware.

#14 9 months ago
  15. Joe Musashi

I think this is a much better approach to competition than dismissing it by saying “We don’t regard ourselves in competition with X or Y”. The point being, it’s not whether you see yourself that way, but whether your customers do.

I’m utterly unsold on SteamOS and the other announcements from Valve. My PC gaming setup does everything I need it to, with plenty of versatility, convenience and comfort so I won’t see any benefit in Valve’s offering.

The Steam controller is an interesting looking beast but I’ve never felt thumb/trackpads offer the precision of control more conventional sticks do. I can’t really judge until I’ve tried it for myself.

JM

#15 9 months ago
  16. fearmonkey

I got a chromecast yesterday and was playing around with it. IT’s a shame something that small can’t be used to stream PC games locally. The onlive micro console does it so it could happen.

#16 9 months ago
  17. DSB

@12 Valve works fine offline, you just need to authenticate your game. Otherwise you’d be giving people infinite copies of each game, and that doesn’t really serve anyone.

The games are a lot cheaper than they’re likely to ever get on consoles, and unlike consoles, you’re free to modify them as much as you want. Steam even has it’s own mod overlay.

So if we’re comparing the freedom of the user, it’s pretty obvious who wins out there.

What I don’t get is why Valve haven’t really improved their functionality and their design over the years. It’s not the fastest or the prettiest client in the world.

#17 9 months ago