Xbox One’s seven day head start over PS4 in Europe is a “moot point,” says Sony

Thursday, 26th September 2013 16:51 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

Sony has said it isn’t concerned over Xbox One getting a week’s head start in the UK, with Sony UK MD Fergal Gara calling the launch timings a “moot point” as both are effectively within the same launch window.

Speaking with CVG during the Eurogamer Expo today, Gara said seven days isn’t enough to to provide an advantage or disadvantage at that especially considering the current gen rivals launched sixteen months apart – with Xbox 360 having the advantage.

“Would you rather have seven days or sixteen months?,” asked Gara. “I think it’s a moot point really, we’re effectively launching at the same time. I don’t think seven days is going to have an advantage or disadvantage.

“[Our price] is an advantage, but it can move over time. Value to the consumer is everything, which is price and quality of content for that price. We feel in very good shape on that front. We’re really pleased.”

Gara also reiterated that pre-order numbers have grown “substantially” since Sony announced at gamescom that one million systems had been reserved in both Europe and North America.

However, he still wouldn’t be drawn on an exact figure.

“What I will say is that it has continued to march ahead strongly, and there’s no signs of it slowing down either,” he said. “That’s hugely encouraging, we know there is a huge desire out there for new consoles, and that people want a PlayStation 4.

“At gamescom the global number was over one million units, that’s ‘over’, and the number has grown substantially since then.”

PlayStation 4 hits the US on November 15, and Europe November 29.

1. Sethos

SONY AM CRY, SONY R SALTY AS FUCK, #FlatEarthSociety

#1 10 months ago
  2. gomersoul

yeah one week won’t make me change my pre order to xbox, patience is a virtue and there won’t be any xboxs on the shelf after pre orders have been fulfilled anyway. so even if you were so easily swayed by a week then you would be stuck, 360 had a year, that mattered. This does not

#2 10 months ago
  3. Lounds

People would be dumb to buy one with out a good library of games… let people who are dumb to spend there money first.

#3 10 months ago
  4. fearmonkey

One week is no big deal. I would wait months for whatever console I chose, i wouldnt grab one over the other just because its available sooner.

#4 10 months ago
  5. lookingglass

I’d say the point is pretty moot. But there will be people who go with XBO over the PS4 because of it. Mostly people with disposable income.

A friend will buy the XBO and his friends will come watch on launch day. The games will look awesome. The console and interface will look awesome. And some people will be like, damn there’s not much difference, I’m just gonna buy one now. /shrug

#5 10 months ago
  6. CyberMarco

All I have to say regarding day-1 console purchases is this:

#6 10 months ago
  7. pcbros

PS3 launched months after the Xbox 360 and it didn’t hurt Sony in the end.

One week? Insignificat.

#7 10 months ago
  8. NiceFellow

I can’t believe anyone would think otherwise. The PS3 launched around 16 months after 360 in Europe at a higher price and still outsold it.

Anyone thinking the PS4 launching one week later at a cheaper price is anything other than moot is delusional.

#8 10 months ago
  9. Lengendaryboss

Well you have one mindless puppet at 5.

#9 10 months ago
  10. yeoung

We’ll be waiting a hell of a lot longer than a week for a satisfactory game library anyway, so yeah… moot point.

PS4 has some F2P stuff ready straight out of the gate with Warframe, Planetside, and that other thing. Surely there’s enough to play on both consoles initially, I’m just not sure they’re worth switching over. Hell we still have South Park and dare I say Yakuza 5 to look forward to.

#10 10 months ago