David Cage: focus on feedback and “you become a marketing person”

Monday, 23rd September 2013 13:08 GMT By Brenna Hillier

Quantic Dream boss David Cage doesn’t believe in design by metrics and committee, because he’s interested in creative acts, not filling out a checklist of features.

Speaking at a panel promoting Beyond: Two Souls in Sydney this evening, Cage said he hadn’t been strongly influenced by consumer feedback on Heavy Rain, Quantic Dream’s last release.

“The thing is, if Heavy Rain had been a complete disaster, then probably I would have changed my mind. But actually you try not to be too influenced by the feedback because otherwise you become a marketing person,” he said.

“It’s like, I get my list of things that people wanted or didn’t want and I’m just going to tick the boxes and try to make them happy.

“This is not how I work and I don’t think any creative person can work that way – you just do what you believe in, or you go where your instinct leads you. And hope it won’t turn out completely wrong.”

That said, Cage said he was “inspired” by his meetings with players who would relate their experience with Heavy Rain.

“Still today, three years after the game’s release, there are still people telling me about what happened to them in Heavy Rain, in a very personal way – as if was something that happened to them in their real life, which is brilliant, I think. This is great; I can feel this; I find this very inspiring,” he said.

“But at the same time, yeah, some people liked this, and some people liked that – okay, fair enough, now let me try something else. Let me try another direction, and see if I can do better this time.”

Cage is in Sydney on a promotional tour ahead of his appearance at Eurogamer Expo this weekend. Because we’re greedy, we’ll be speaking to him twice this week.

Beyond: Two Souls is a PlayStation 3 exclusive due on October 8 in North America; October 9 in Australia; and October 12 in Europe.

1. VibraniumSpork

Sure, a Marketing Person. Or this guy: http://stream1.gifsoup.com/view1/1297473/not-listening-dumb-and-dumber-o.gif

#1 1 year ago
  2. DSB

For once I actually agree with creepy-fucking-bastard David Cage.

#2 1 year ago
  3. wildBoar

It only SOUNDS like he’s making sense, he’s just being arrogant with subltey. To focus too much on feedback is bad, but in order for him to ignore the enourmous gaping problems with the games he creates, he would have to not even take it into consideration. Or evaluate his work at all.
    And that IS plain arrogant.

Still looking forward to seeing if Beyond will be a hilarious trainwreck or just ‘meh. Games media will propably be too forgiving on it as always but youtubers and such are gonna have a field day.

#3 1 year ago
  4. DuckOfDestiny

Focusing on feedback is a failure of the game designer.

#4 1 year ago
  5. sebastien rivas

Haaa finally 1 AAA guy with his head on his shoulders

@3 what arrogance is there when he prefers to be creative and disregard marketing research?
    In this case it is also true to say those who look at marketing research have nothing to do in game industry because they are not interested in game game that has depth and inspiration but instead relay on numbers which by the way too often erronous because researchs are led in small areas and specific community(ies). They relay on number to hide lack of creativity and/or lack of insurance in themself??

So where is the dam arrogance in saying, I know what I am doing, I want gamers to find my new inspiration and my new story?

All I can say is +1 to David, that is how you will demark yourself from the crowd who too often do the exact same with different colors.

#5 1 year ago