New Microsoft OS boss wants to create unified app interface across all devices

Saturday, 21st September 2013 22:38 GMT By Phil Owen

In the wake of the recent Microsoft corporate restructuring, all of the company’s operating systems, including Windows 8, Windows Phone, the Xbox Dashboard, and so on, are all under the purview of Terry Myerson, who has plans for bringing them together.

“We really should have one silicon interface for all of our devices,” Myerson said at an internal analyst meeting this week. “We should have one set of developer APIs on all of our devices. And all of the apps we bring to end users should be available on all of our devices.”

He also noted the apps should be tailored for each platform, so they won’t be terrible.

This could be interesting. What does MS have on any one of their devices that you’d like to see on a different one?

1. pcbros

“What does MS have on any one of their devices that you’d like to see on a different one?”

The games.

If I buy Spelunky on the Xbox One, it should be available on my Windows 8 PC. If not, I could care less about a unified interface.

#1 12 months ago
  2. Demigod

I agree. They need a single market not one for every device. I have Spartan ops on my phone but they want me to buy it again on my pc. When xone is out and it inevitable gets released there am I meant to buy it again? From a financial standpoint it might sound good for MS to do this but from a not peeing off the consumer stand point a single account multiple device approach would be better.

#2 12 months ago
  3. FatalTee

#1 #2
    But it is the sort of vision Gabe Newell fears of becoming reality. Imagine that MS Windows is stripped of other APIs and have only NET and VS for Desktop Apps and Metro for Metro. If you want to play you would have to buy XBOX OS (extension) which would make your Windows compatible with gaming APIs. If you buy an XBOX you would have only gaming APIs and METRO.

The trouble is all the games not for XBOX or not distributed on LIVE, which would depend on desktop DX/XLNA APIs, but your windows would have to be extended of XBOX. Nice thing would that sort of compatiblity be, but where it leaves Steam and purely PC devs?

I know that reality nowadays is far form this scenario, but if you look at it, groundwork has already been put in place. All that is left is some new api, like DirectX 12 or equivalent.

But extending Windows 8.1 with XBOX one os APIs, which would bring XBOX compatiblity? Having Steam, Origin and XBOX? Overkill? Yes, but I would at least be able to play GTA5 already…

#3 12 months ago
  4. Sanwiches

@3 Man what you wrote is incomprehensible.

And there’s nothing to be afraid of, one interface for all MS applications can only be a good thing for consumers.

#4 11 months ago
  5. Samurai

I agree, Xbox One games were running on Windows 7 at E3, so there is no reason why they can’t.

#5 11 months ago
  6. Kreion

But that’s exactly the problem – your last point “I’d like to play GTA 5 already…” they haven’t made a port for GTA yet. You can’t just run the Xbox version off any PC and expect it to work fine – that’s one of the reasons PC ports have to be properly done.

#6 11 months ago
  7. fuchikoma

Really? They want to do what made Win8 so unpopular it threatens to torpedo the PC industry? Brilliant.

#7 11 months ago