Retro Studios high on list of candidates to develop a new Metroid game, says Miyamoto

Friday, 20th September 2013 20:52 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

Nintendo’s Shigeru Miyamoto has said Retro Studios is high on the list of candidates to develop a Metroid title should Nintendo decide to create another entry in the series.

Speaking in the 100th issue of Official Nintendo Magazine, Miyamoto said it was an important franchise for the firm, and one it “values.”

“I definitely think it’s a franchise that we value and we certainly want to see what we can do with it in the future,” he said. “And, obviously, Retro is a very high priority in terms of the potential team that would be considered for working on a Metroid game.”

Miyamoto went on to say Retro Studios was extremely capable of working on multiple projects at once, and that he admires its work very much.

The latest from Retro is Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze which is out in November for Wii U.

Thanks, Nintendo Life.

1. Sini

hopes to see fatal frame u @ tgs
    gets shown wii fit u

#1 11 months ago
  2. xino

2013 is almost over. 8th gen is here.
    and no metroid.

wii u is DEAD.

STOP publishing stories about wii u or it’s relating games.
    the console died for lack of games to nourish it:/

#2 11 months ago
  3. Professor Zoom

They should go third party and also make it to Xbox, PC and PS4…

#3 11 months ago
  4. Telepathic.Geometry

As usual, it’s a statement from Nintendo stating nothing but the absolutely patently fucking obvious.

We value Metroid.
    We might make another game.
    We think Retro would be a good candidate to make the next one
    (as they’ve already created great Metroid games possibly?)

All of this is extremely fucking obvious. I knew, not thought, KNEW all of this years ago.

Not having a go at you Steph, I want the news however small the morsels, but statements from other games companies always have some new information or surprising elements. From Ninty? It’s always some incredibly obvious bullshit that anyone would know. They are SOOOOO Japanese… They don’t directly tell you ANY information, they just allow you to fill in what information there might be with your imagination. /grumpy

#4 11 months ago
  5. pcbros

I think it’s Nintendo’s way of saying they are planning a Metroid for Wii U.

I’d love to see this :)

#5 11 months ago
  6. TheWulf

This is good news. I wanted to dropkick Other M into the nearest volcano, frankly. It took hands down one of the best heroines of gaming and fucked her right up. Before Other M, Samus was an example. To show that to make a character strong and independent, you don’t also have to make her vindictive, sadistic, manipulative, and batshit insane.

She was right up there with the likes of Jade, Shepard, and April Ryan. And it was mostly Retro Studios that put her there, on that plinth, because they didn’t treat her like she was a special case. They didn’t act as though having boobs made her less able to do her job, in fact, they rarely ever brought it up at all. They tossed aside the bullshit and went with the strengths of such a character.

I want to see Samus’ pride restored. I want a continuation of the Metroid PRime series, and I want Other M struck from continuity, as though it were a bad dream that never really happened.

If Retro Studios get the job and they can do this, then I might actually have a reason to buy a Nintendo console.

#6 11 months ago
  7. Telepathic.Geometry

If Retro do a HD version of Metroid, I’m sure they could find slick ways to use the pad display as a visor interface and I have faith in them making a pretty metroid with tight controls, but…

I also think that they have earned the right to bring a completely new franchise to the table. Much as I would love a retro designed Zelda or Metroid, I feel like they would be able to make something sublime off their own backs…

#7 11 months ago
  8. Froseidon

@7 – There is a new IP in the works at Nintendo I’m pretty sure. Shigeru Miyamoto said he was working on it before he retired.

I’d love to see a new Metroid. Past the Prime trilogy and the side scrolling ones, I never picked another one (probably because it was Other M)

#8 11 months ago