Microsoft’s Cortana app will rival iPhone’s Siri on Windows Phone – report

Friday, 13th September 2013 09:42 GMT By Dave Cook

Microsoft is said to be creating a Halo-themed Cortana app that will offer voice control input on Windows Phone, challenge iPhone’s Siri format, reports claim.

ZDnet reports that back in June, screens of an early Windows Phone OS version were leaked, showing an app called ‘zCortana’. The ‘z’ suggests it was a test build.

The site claims that this is in fact a personal assistant app on Windows Phone featuring Halo’s very own AI guide to all things technical, Cortana. It is believed that the app will launch early 2014 and will replace Microsoft’s current ‘TellMe’ service.

Cortana is said to use Bing learning technology ‘Satori’ to learn and adapt to your persoal habits and offer the best assistance possible.

The article author writes, “Cortana will be more than just an app that lets users interact with their phones more naturally using voice commands. Cortana is core to the makeover of the entire “shell” — the core services and experience — of the future versions of Windows Phone, Windows and the Xbox One operating systems, from what I’ve heard from my contacts.”

Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer issued a company restructure memo in July, and one possibly connected paragraph reads, “Our UI will be deeply personalized, based on the advanced, almost magical, intelligence in our cloud that learns more and more over time about people and the world. Our shell will natively support all of our essential services, and will be great at responding seamlessly to what people ask for, and even anticipating what they need before they ask for it.”

Is he talking about the Cortana tech here? Let us know what you think below.

Via Eurogamer.

1. Belmont

I think it’s stupid.

The first microsoft branded phone will be named chief ? Or Prophet of regret ?

#1 1 year ago
  2. TheBlackHole

I think it’s a brilliant idea. Cortana’s voice will be miles better than the dull, computerised voices of Siri (m/f depending on territory).

Why not leverage something that has reasonably sizable pop culture resonance?

#2 1 year ago
  3. wamp

aaaaand just like that I wanna buy now a Windows Phone :)

#3 1 year ago
  4. viralshag

Throw in a little AR Cortana application on the phones and I think that would be great. I’ll never need friends again…

#4 1 year ago
  5. Mike W

I don’t think it’s a good idea, how often do people really use Siri on IPhones?

#5 1 year ago
  6. viralshag

I don’t think it’s a bad idea though. All they’re really doing is offering a pretty standard feature that most smartphones have these days with, like #2 says, a pop culture reference thrown in.

I don’t think it would hurt to have it.

#6 1 year ago
  7. NiceFellow

People use Siri?

#7 1 year ago
  8. Tech-N9ne

I guess that means Kinect on XB1 will talk back to you as Cortana. I remember reading a rumor that XB1 Kinect can talk back to you.

That’s pretty neat, it gonna be interesting to watch how this interaction evolves over the life span of the XB1. This reminds me of this new Joaquin Phoenix movie, Her; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rS8zOLOcPMQ

#8 1 year ago
  9. CyberMarco

Am I the only one concerned that this kind of technology (not the Cortana voice) will lead to the increase one’s “befuddlement”.

As technology evolves all the new gadgets and gizmos are trying to replace out human interactions with things/activities etc.

e.g. The more we depend on a gadget to do/think/remember/tell a thing for us the less we are using our intellect. I don’t know for you but the less you use the brain the more “addicted” you are with those electronic devices.

#9 1 year ago
  10. someone

in reply to CyberMarco: Socrates on writing

for this discovery of yours will create forgetfulness in the learners’ souls, because they will not use their memories; they will trust to the external written characters and not remember of themselves

#10 1 year ago
  11. fengato

Don’t really use Siri, though I’d be more tempted to hit it up if Jen Taylor was present on my iphone. ❤

#11 1 year ago
  12. CyberMarco

Yeah, I know his point-of-view.

In that story Theuth (a divine being presenting technology) and the King of Egypt Thamus have a discussion about writing’s impact on the mind:

It’s said that Thamus presented many points both for and against each art, which would have a long speech to report, but when it came to letters, Theuth said, “This branch of learning, your majesty, will make Egyptians wiser and improve their memories, for I’ve discovered a magic potion for memory and wisdom. But Thamus replied, “Most artful Theuth, while one person is able to create the products of art, another is able to judge what harm or benefit they hold for those who intend to use them. Now you, father of letters, as a result of your affection for them, are stating the opposite of what their effect will be. If people learn them it will make their soul forgetful through lack of exercising their memory. They’ll put trust in the external marks of writing instead of using their own internal capacity for remembering on their own. You’ve discovered a magic potion not for memory, but for reminding, and you offer your pupils apparent, not true, wisdom. After they have heard many things from you, but without instruction, they will seem to be very knowledgeable when they are for the most part ignorant, and they will be hard to get along with, since they will have only the appearance of wisdom instead of being really wise.”

#12 1 year ago
  13. unacomn

I wonder of it will have better jiggle physics and another boob job.

#13 1 year ago
  14. fengato

^ Nah, she was perfect in 4. ;-)

#14 1 year ago
  15. hitnrun

Bwahaha! OK, I’ve been increasingly sour on Microsoft products ever since they turned XBL into a psychological warfare theater against the customer, but I have to admit this is pretty damn clever synergy.

#15 1 year ago
  16. Citrus raptor

And then make a movie about some guy who gets shipwrecked on an Island with ancient ruins and all he’s got that’s intact is his phone…

#16 1 year ago
  17. Pitts

I’m iffy on if this can compete with Siri or Google Now, but the idea to wrap it in a Cortana skin is frankly awesome and completely unique territory to MS. Great idea!

#17 1 year ago
  18. Vice

It won’t rival it, it will absolutely annihilate it. Cortana… I’d murder 50 people to have her in my phone.

#18 1 year ago