PlayStation 4 retailing in Argentina for $6,499 AR, or approximately $1,137 USD

Wednesday, 11th September 2013 03:29 GMT By Ewan Miller

Moment of sympathy news: The PlayStation 4 is set to cost the equivalent of $1,137 US Dollars on launch day in Argentina. Argentina has been experiencing a massive inflation crisis over the last year, with the government reporting 10% month on month inflation for most of this year. By comparison, the PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 cost about $600 USD at their launches in the country and the average Argentinian makes $10,000 USD per year according to the government.

Thanks for making me sad, NeoGAF.

1. xxJPRACERxx

I’m sure they’ll sell a ton!

#1 1 year ago
  2. FuntimeBen

I can only imagine you would have to mortgage your house to buy an Xbox One.

#2 1 year ago
  3. Ewan Miller

It recalls the time Kaz Hirai? said people would want to get a second job to buy the PS3 in all the worst ways.

#3 1 year ago
  4. Dragon246

Not surprising eh?
    PS4 will probably cost around 1000 bucks here too. I bought a Vita at launch for 400 bucks.
    Damn you Europeans and Americans, getting things cheap than the rest of the world and still come across as most nagging gamers around :P

#4 1 year ago
  5. doa766

I’m from Argentina and I already preorder the ps4 and while the numbers on this article are correct the situation is a little more complicated and in the end the actual cost is around 750 dollars or so

What’s happening is that the official conversion rate is around 5,59 and that’s what gets you to around 1170 but no one can buy dollars ate that rate, it,s just a bogus rate that the government keeps artificially low in order to pay less of foreign debt but banks won’t sell to anyone at thAt rate

The dollar that can be bought is called blue and it’s like a black market and that,s what’s. used to calculated the cost of any imported goods and that one is around 9,30 right now, so 6500 divided by the real dollar rate is like 730 or so depending on the day, for me that’s like 3 weeks pay

#5 1 year ago
  6. Dragon246

^ Good to know :)

#6 1 year ago
  7. Ewan Miller

Fascinating Doa. When you liken “blue” to a black market, does that come with the implications of being illegal/uncommon or would that be the rate that most people buy currency at?

And if you don’t mind divulging, whereabouts are you socioeconomically? Is three words wages representative for a full time job in the middle/lower class, or is that like a student’s part time wages?

Thanks for the input :D

#7 1 year ago
  8. II-WAR-STEINER-II

Is this possible to preorder a ps4 by amazon.com in the US and shipping to Argentina?

#8 1 year ago
  9. doa766

The blue is technically illegal but it’s more like an under the counter thing, the government allows it, you can buy it in some shops, most of them have an excuse like a travel agency or long distance bus ticket shop but its just to sell dollars, it’s the only rate that people can actually buy dollars and keep them as savings

The official rate applies in very few instances for normal people, some good for us, if I buy stuff from amazon with my credit card I pay the official rate, but the the bank charges a 20 per cent tax for out of the country purchases, the only other possibility is that if you’re traveling you can get authorization to buy like 500 or so dollars for the trip

I buy stuff from amazon and playasia all the time but games and movies go through customs here with no charge, however electronic stuff has a 50 per cent tax over the value, so in the end it cost about the same if I buy the ps4 here, but here I get a guarantee

I have an above average pay level here, its full time and I make like 9000 pesos a month, which is blu dollars is like a 1000, and in the official rate like 1700 or so, luckily I don’t pay rent so about two thirds of my paycheck is disposable

I have the Ps3, 369 and vita, for the ps3 I have 67 disc games, and about 10 for my 360, as I’m writing this I’m waiting for kill zone mercenary to finish downloading for my vita

#9 1 year ago
  10. xxJPRACERxx

@3 I think it was Ken Kutaragi.

#10 1 year ago
  11. FeaturePreacher

You think things would be better for Argentina if they got the Falkland Islands?

#11 1 year ago
  12. wally10975

@10 That was the day that the “Father of PlayStation” became the grandfather that just sits in his chair and no one pays attention to LOL

#12 1 year ago
  13. Major Mayhem 70

I’ll sell them one for $800.

#13 1 year ago
  14. mistermogul

@doa – Look on the bright side. At least you’ve qualified for the World Cup!

#14 1 year ago
  15. rainer

This is where the VitaTV would make sense in countries that dont have the economies to support high end consoles.

#15 1 year ago
  16. juantonio86

well here in Colombia is about the same price, I will illegally bring mine from USA, already pre-ordered on amazon once the PS4 arrive to my friend house we will figured out a way to shipping it.

#16 1 year ago
  17. deathm00n

@16 I bet the VitaTV will be expensive here in latin america as well. And people complain about the $499 price of the XboxOne… the price for the Xbone pre-order here in Brazil is $958, PS4 was not given a price yet, I guess it will be said in Brasil Game Show. Everyone knows that gaming is a expensive hobby, down here it’s double expensive. This explains a lot of things in the whole market, from piracy to the brazilian invasion of free to play games.

#17 1 year ago
  18. branch92

@11 the Falkland Islands have nothing to do with our economy, even if they were under aour control. the only thing that would benefit us is if there were oil in the island, but then we would have to worry about the US coming after us.(when i say US i mean the goverment and greedy politicians, not their citizens)

#18 1 year ago
  19. Professor Zoom

Hahahahhahahahhaahhahaha, this is embarrassing for $ony and their jealous fanboys, who tell us that PS4 is better than XB1 because of all their bla bla bla bla bla, about the 180′s turns, when the consoles haven’t launched yet. Suck on that $ony boys.

#19 1 year ago
  20. Gheritt White

@14: 20. Um… The Xbox One will sell for a similarly inflated price. It’s an Argetinian legal thing, not a platform-specific thing.

The only thing to be ashamed about or embarrassed about is your appalling behaviour in these comments.

GROW.