Vin Diesel reassembling Tigon Studios to create third Riddick game

Tuesday, 10th September 2013 14:07 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

Vin Diesel’s Tigon Studios has been reassembled, according to the actor, in order to deliver a third game in the Riddick series.

Speaking in two separate interviews, recently withScreencrush and with IGN back in July, Diesel said he has “reassembled” the Starbreeze team behind The Chronicles of Riddick: Escape from Butcher Bay “to create the third game.”

“There’s this huge concept [behind the game] which is more of a MMO game that would be centered around people being able to play mercs and it’s basically the merc trade,” he said to IGN. “There’s a very cool game concept behind that. So we got our guys in Sweden that were part of Starbreeze and we’re pulling them back together to make the next Riddick game that we’re really excited about.”

Diesel said the team made the two prior Riddick games as a way to “flesh out the mythology more,” without having to spend “tens of millions of dollars” by doing it through films.

“So it was kind of us being resourceful in some ways and using a less costly medium, the video game and the animatics and the cinematics in the video game, to, you know, expand the universe,” he said.

The latest Riddick film is now in theaters and it pulled in over $18.7 Million last weekend.

Thanks, OXM.

1. stealth

mmo? pass

#1 11 months ago
  2. VibraniumSpork

Someone really needs to tell Diesel that no-one really cares that much about the Riddick mythology. I’m sure that in his head this shit’s Gold and has the potential to be bigger than Star Wars, but yeah…only in his head.

#2 11 months ago
  3. Coldsnap

Hold your tongue. Riddick mythology is head and shoulders above most games. It’s no Dune but it’s damn good. Ghosting a dude to get Riddick’s shine job was legit.

#3 11 months ago
  4. gusalomao

@2 Disagree. The Riddick mythology may be not too popular, but the first game is one of the best games of all time! Amazing graphics, realistic animation, terrific atmosphere and solid script and characters. Riddick game is far best than the movies, but still is a great universe they’ve created. I ‘ll love to see a new game and Starbreeze is more than capable to make another one in this universe.

#4 11 months ago
  5. AngryConsumer

a third game?… this is getting riddickulous…

#5 11 months ago
  6. gusalomao

@5 +1

#6 11 months ago
  7. Bashtee

@2 Well, this might be your opinion. I actually really like the games.

#7 11 months ago
  8. VibraniumSpork

@3,4,7 It’s not so much the games (which I’ve nothing but good things about) as it is the character of Riddick, which Diesel seems intent on pushing on the world; I just think the character’s a bit of a generic, brooding badass, the kind of character that would have been a C-list X-Man in the 90′s. Perfect fodder for placing behind an FPS camera, sure, but too bland to set the world on fire, even if Diesel believes otherwise with every ounce of his star power.

#8 11 months ago
  9. xFidelCashflow

I’m all for it

#9 11 months ago
  10. fearmonkey

@8 – Someone needs to tell VibraniumSpook that his opinion isn’t shared by everyone and some of us LOVE the Riddick movies and games. It of course will never be bigger than Star wars, but who cares. I would much rather play a Riddick game than most Star Wars games anytime (KOTOR, Jedi Knight, Battlefront are notable exceptions)

When I saw this article headline I was like YES!!!

When I saw the MMO part I was like NO!!

Seriously, just make a single player game like the Original with the Dark Athena update but with the modern Next Gen graphics, and I am golden.

I am not sure how he managed to get that team back together though, most of the original Starbreeze guys left and are at MachineGames.
    They were acquired by Zenimax awhile back, maybe they left again?

#10 11 months ago
  11. Clupula

As someone who hates the Riddick movies, I have to say that the games were DAMN good.

#11 11 months ago
  12. zinc

A Riddick game, where no-one iss Riddick?

Genius.

#12 11 months ago
  13. Vice

Fuck mmos. Enough with fucking online, why does everything has to has multiplayer or be online only? Screw this shit.

#13 11 months ago