Mighty No. 9 looks like Mega Man because that’s Inafune’s “style”

Wednesday, 4th September 2013 04:07 GMT By Brenna Hillier

Mega man creator Keiji Inafune has said new property Mighty No. 9 looks a lot like its famous progenitor because they share his particular aesthetic.

“That character – Beck – may look similar to Mega-Man at a precursory glance, but it’s because I created it. Artists have their own style and they get comfortable in that style, so the things they make look very similar,” Inafune told Joystiq.

“Picasso paintings look like Picasso paintings, so that’s my style – I can’t help it, that can’t be changed, it is what it is.”

Inafune then mentioned a few ways in which the star of Mighty No. 9 is different from mega Man – he’s mostly grey, not blue; he doesn’t have a cannon on his arm; his eyes are a different size; and his helmet is different.

“It’s very different,” he insisted.

Inafune said he doesn’t expect Capcom to mind the similarity, noting that “there was no ill will” in his decision to pursue the project.

“For me, it was merely, one hundred percent, I heard the voice of the fans and I’ve always been somebody who likes listening to them and that’s what I’m trying to do with this project,” he said.

Mighty No. 9 blew through its initial and first stretch goals with ease and at time of writing had over $1.4 million. As a result, it will release on Linux, Mac and PC with game pad support, with console ports possible at higher funding tiers. the next stretch goal is New Game Plus and Turbo modes at $1.5 million.

1. wildBoar

“so the things they make look very similar” yeaaaaaaaaaah…

“It’s very different,” suuure, Inafune. It’s so borderline plagiarism I’m a bit concerned Capcom will take legal action. Not that we would want it any other way, but yeah, even a Mega Man redesign would’ve propably been a bigger departure than this. Actually scratch that, this is a Mega Man redesign. Inafune’s denying it is pretty hilarious. I guess he kinda has to.

#1 8 months ago
  2. yeoung

@1: Plagiarising one’s own work, eh? The audacity!

#2 8 months ago
  3. Elrohon

As much as I wish to see this game released, I wouldn’t be surprised if Capcom attempted legal action against Inafune and his team.

@2: Plagiarizing ones is illegal if the Intellectual Property and related material do not belong to the creator his/herself. In this case, Inafune doesn’t hold the rights to Megaman, so he can, if a technicality is shown in the court of law, be sued for plagiarizing his work… it’s sad, and not something I wish, but a possibility nonetheless.

#3 8 months ago
  4. Hirmetrium

@3: But at the same time, you can’t ask him to change how he draws his pictures. I’m sure, a Megaman drawn by somebody else would look nothing like Megaman that Inafune’ has drawn.

I’ll be honest, No.9 looks like a cyberpunk kid more than a robot from the future. Complete with headphones.

#4 8 months ago
  5. sh4dow

Depending on how quick Japan’s court system works, that may actually be a sweet thing – would love to see Capcom getting stomped into the ground.
    Because claims of plagiarism would be ridiculous, for the reasons Inafune mentioned (and even more than just that… I find Hirmetrium’s (#4) argument closer than Inafune’s).

#5 8 months ago
  6. The_Red

Capcom killed Mega Man so what’s the problem here? Seriously, they canned EVERY freaking MM game they could while also insulting him via UMVC3.

#6 8 months ago
  7. JerrodStorm

From my artistic education and experience (which I’ll openly admit is likely nowhere near Mr. Inafune’s), one’s drawing style actually has little to do with how close two of your own characters are to one another in appearance. For example, does Danny Phantom have a similar silhouette to Timmy Turner, or the characters from T.U.F.F. Puppy? No. A similar style, yes, but not a similar appearance, or at least definitely not as similar as Beck is to Megaman. My thought is that Beck and Megaman’s similarity in both style and appearance is what makes people think of Beck as just a Megaman clone, even though the two are fairly distinct in plenty of other aspects.

Even if Beck was indeed just a recolored version of the Blue Bomber, though, Capcom would need way more than “Your guy looks like our guy” to win a legal battle.

Speaking of legal battles, does any of this remind you of the King Kong v. Donkey Kong case?

#7 8 months ago