PS4 interface & gamescom demonstration discussed by Sony’s Yoshida

Monday, 2nd September 2013 17:00 GMT By Dave Cook

PlayStation 4′s interface was shown running live at gamescom last month by Sony’s Worldwide Studios president Shuhei Yoshida. He’s now discussed the interface in greater detail in a new interview.

Writing on PS Blog US, Yoshida reflected on the gamescom demo, but stressed that it only scratched the surface of what PS4′s interface can do.

“What I showed was only a small portion of the UI,” he explained. “Obviously the system software is still in development. We really wanted to show off the social aspect of the UI. The minute you boot up, you’ll see all the information about games you own, what your friends are doing, whether there’s any new DLC coming out, or if your friends have shared a video or screenshot. And you can also spectate anyone playing PS4.

“The demonstration was to show that my friend Eric was playing Killzone. I was able to spectate, but also join the game. All PS4 games allow you to take screenshots, so I pressed the share button to automatically take one. And PS4 also records the last 15 minutes of gameplay, so I had the choice of either uploading the screenshot or the video. So I tweeted out the screenshot to my actual Twitter account. And if I chose to, I could have posted the video to my Facebook. It’s very easy to do.”

He added that discoverability is his favourite aspect of the new UI, “It’s like checking your social media every day. I really like that people can find out about new games, information, and what their friends are doing, without even booting the game. For example, you can check out whether you have had new challenges from friends from the home screen of every game. All the important information is presented to you immediately. The same game might come out on PS3 and PS4, but playing the game on PS4 will be much more fun, I would expect.”

What do you make of the PS4′s UI so far? Let us know below.

Via Kotaku.

1. loci

Possibly the best opening to a conference ever.

#1 1 year ago
  2. Dimaco

I have to admit I am not into the whole “social” thing, still I really liked it!

#2 1 year ago
  3. Tr0n

Looks a lot like PS3′s UI. I was hoping for something completely different.

#3 1 year ago
  4. Erthazus

How can you expect something different from a company that has a shitty history of bad interface and software? Lol

UI looks decent enough for a console. They made it look like a console UI which is ok.

I only hope that it will not be the same thing like with horrible PS3 UI. When you launch the game UI is freezing to death because the majority of memory and processing power are for games.

For the PC it is much easier. I have like 16 Gb Of Ram right now. I can launch multiple games and software on my PC and still UI will work as it should be and I can surf the net (just right now for example.)

My previous PC with 8 gigs worked very well too.

#4 1 year ago
  5. monkeygourmet

Where have you been Erth?!

To busy with your Wii U probably! ;)

#5 1 year ago
  6. deathm00n

@3 You never used a PS3 before have you? This has almost nothing to do with the PS3 UI.

@4 You are right my PC with 1gb does very well UI wise! What sorcery is this??? º_º

Sorry erth, had to do it, your comment makes no sense to me… Comparing a PC UI with a console UI is like comparing a potato and an egg.

#6 1 year ago
  7. KAP

The XMB won a Emmy for it. Just saying.
    I think the XMB was and still is amazing personally.

#7 1 year ago
  8. yeoung

well if you plant a potato it becomes a potatoplant and if you plant an egg it turns purple and becomes an eggplant.

biology 101

On a serious note, I don’t have any problems with the PS3 XMB personally. I’ve only ever felt discomfort by a clunky and poorly indexed Store interface. Given the significant RAM upgrade, the only mistake that could be made would be the infrastructure on Sony’s end. Optimistic they’ll deliver, but then again, in no way does this represent a dealbreaker for me even if they fumble the Store again.

#8 1 year ago
  9. SuperGamerDude

I want that chair!

#9 1 year ago
  10. deathm00n

@8 +1 hahaha amazing

#10 1 year ago
  11. monkeygourmet

I love the fact that Sony have pretty much done a complete UTurn on the PS3. All those things have been corrected for the PS4.

Great for people wanting to change over, and also high lights all the idiots defending the PS3′s crappy decisions for all this time… Even Sony thought they sucked. LOL.

#11 1 year ago
  12. polygem

looks smooth and very functional but these sony interfaces always are so cold and lifeless. same with the ps3 and also the vita. it works but it’s not fun to use. the wiiu and 360 interface is just so much more fun to use and navigate through.
    sony tries too hard to be highend-tech and “cool”.
    might appeal to some. personally it is my main problem with their consoles.

@9. that chair is indeed nice!

#12 1 year ago
  13. monkeygourmet

The PS3 interface is awful if You’ve used anything else.

As you said, pseudo ‘high tech’ but ultimately shit.

#13 1 year ago
  14. Djoenz

Sorry the xbox360 ui is lame as hell. Dumb avatar and I think the update shows tiles already on dashboard? I wanted to play fifa13 on xbox of a buddy f mine and to select the game it had the tiniest square/tile while other nonsense were bigger. I dont know if it was his settings or whatever, but ps3 has xmb, you can switch themes and is just simple but ace.

#14 1 year ago
  15. Dragon246

“sony interfaces always are so cold and lifeless”
    *facepalm*
    For the first time on the internet I have heard someone complaining about a UI being “so cold and lifeless”.
    I don’t know how to respond to that, seriously.
    Its like thinking certain games have “magic”.
    :D

And comparing it to clunky and slow wiiu interface, lol. I dont know in which world these people are living.

As KAP said, XMB won an Emmy.

#15 1 year ago
  16. Djoenz

3d avatars it makes me sick to my stomach to see tht nosense. Lame as hell.
    I also tried to hook up 360 live gold for buddy of a buddy they didnt know how to. Well me neither. Microsoft makes one for you and you can only change it once. Its outside your regular account and we gave him a standard tag, but what a hassle tht was man. Unbelievable.

#16 1 year ago
  17. Lengendaryboss

I was almost going to go video/gif crazy on that comment, but no.

#17 1 year ago
  18. Dragon246

@17,
    Man, I am speechless. UI being cold and lifeless? Seriously?
    Maybe they should sprinkle some “magic” on it :D

#18 1 year ago
  19. deathm00n

@18 If everytime you open something it shows this gif as an overlay effect it would be awesome

#19 1 year ago
  20. Lengendaryboss

HAHAHA LOL :) That was one of the gifs i would link, in addition to a video.

#20 1 year ago
  21. Dragon246

@deathm00n,
    THAT IS THE MAGIC!

#21 1 year ago
  22. Lengendaryboss

I’m sorry i had to

:P :D

#22 1 year ago
  23. polygem

@15. whoopi goldberg won an oscar…

i meant exactly what i said there and some games can be described as magical experiences. yep. some books too. art sometimes as well…has nothing to do with longbearded grandpas and witches though kid. it’s a term, to describe something is very special.

#23 1 year ago
  24. Erthazus

Selena Gomez?? oh.. fuck you… Really. =/ plz stop posting her or Justin beaver.

#24 1 year ago
  25. absolutezero

So its just the Steam Community tab split into multiple different sections.

The XMB was always nicer to use and navigate because everything you need is easily accessible and you never really leave the Main over arching menu system, so it needs to load little to get the maximum amount of information across.

The 360 UI however is a cluster fuck of buttons and menus and loading pages and that fucking spinning circle and screenshots not loading shit buried miles behind a wall confusing nonsense.

#25 1 year ago
  26. Lv01

@25 completely agree.
    @14 had the same experience trying to play into a game of fifa 13 on a mates 360. the disc was inserted… how can it possibly have been that hard to get into playing the game!?!

the PS3′s XMB is the simplest menu system ever created. the fact that it was the staple of their bravia TV range for so long is testament to that. i used to work as technical support for TVs and navigating menus was literally the staple of the job. i was sooooo relieved to hear when a customer had a Sony TV. all the options are in the same place, off of one menu, not scattered around and hidden behind sub menus that need to be opened first… so much quicker.

the PS4 UI does look like its fun to play around with, but i am a little sad to see the XMB missing. although, it does look like when he selected something, the rest of the menu just minimized to the top of the screen, and then there was a further ‘bar’ of menu options above those… could work in a similar way to the XMB, just moving up and down between menus to see all the options…

cant wait to get my hands on it and see how it works in real life!

#26 1 year ago