Plants vs Zombies 2 has been downloaded nearly 25 million times

Friday, 30th August 2013 20:43 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

Plants vs Zombies 2 has been downloaded close to 25 million times since it was released. This is a major uptick since August 22 when it was announced it had been downloaded 16 million times. The figure exceeds lifetime downloads figures of the original Plants vs Zombies. The game is currently available on iOS and will be released on other platforms later this year. Head below for a look at the infographic.

1. domnage

#1 1 year ago
  2. DSB

Easily the most disappointing sequel since Mass Effect 2 in my book.

#2 1 year ago
  3. GrimRita

@2 well EA did fire all those who created the original in traditional EA fashion – then churn out a sequel thats utterly shit

#3 1 year ago
  4. sh4dow

@2:

Really? I’m not the only one with internet access who thinks that ME2 was total crap and so is this?
    That is stunning ;) (at least the ME2-thing… I think for those 25M downloads, there are like 5M who didn’t download it and are upset that they didn’t get a proper sequel)

#4 1 year ago
  5. DSB

@4 Dude, I was shocked to come online and see how much people actually liked that crap.

Me and my friends all hated it. I think I was the only one in my immediate circle who actually bothered to finish it, the others just left it to rot.

To me Mass Effect 2 is really just Rainbow Six Vegas (without the FPS) in space. And the story was so incredibly dumb. It was Monty Python, without the funny.

“And now for something completely different – An intermezzo of aliens you don’t care about, kidnapping random people, to help build their unintentionally hilarious robot”

I have been playing PvZ 2 though. You don’t really know if you hate something unless you’ve played it. I just think it’s a total rehash. Everything about it is so forced, and the charm just isn’t there.

#5 1 year ago
  6. absolutezero

F2P Mobile as a primary platform. Steered welllll clear of that one.

and hey ME2 was great you had all that planet scanning and Calibrations! :D

#6 1 year ago
  7. sh4dow

Really? That’s interesting.
    I didn’t play it long enough to really learn much about the story, I only remember that it felt like they injected Gears of War into it. Running from one battle to the next, with a lot less “RPG-ing” or decision-making compared to the first.

And as for PvZ 2 – I disagree about that. If I e.g. hate the concept of soccer as a whole, why on earth would I need to play Fifa in order to realize “Guess what? I also hate this instance of soccer.”?
    And I simply don’t like to play “complex” (as in anything more complex than Puzzle Bobble or Bejeweled clones) games on my phone. Which is an Android. I don’t even own an iDevice. And probably never will ever again.

#7 1 year ago
  8. DSB

@6 I did feel like I got about 5 euros worth of entertainment when I went to probe Uranus. And the characters weren’t completely hopeless, they were just stuck in a game full of hopeless ideas.

@7 I was probably too broad there, but obviously, if you hate a genre already, you’re not gonna go for it.

Either way. Playing a game means you can formulate an informed critique on it, instead of just calling it bad because you’ve seen some stuff that seemed questionable.

That was pretty much my sole reason for finishing something like Mass Effect 2. I wanted to see just how bad it would get. And I wasn’t disappointed… That last boss fight completely rid it of any claim it ever had to being taken seriously.

To this day it still blows my fricken mind that people didn’t feel robbed by that ending, but somehow went apeshit when they did something slightly ambiguous in the third one.

#8 1 year ago
  9. Blackened Halo

If it costed at least 1$, they would already have 25 milions

#9 1 year ago
  10. Blackened Halo

@4 This what you are mumbling about is total bullshit. ME2 was a great game, an awesome continuous of a superb ME1. Only thing what is really bad about ME series is the explanation in the end of ME3. Stupid and childlish reason why all the stuff has been happening..

#10 1 year ago
  11. smartalves

My god didn´t knew that they fire 50 guys and the creator of PvZ.
    To quote a guy from the Web:
    “Par for the course with an EA business strategy.

1- Have wildly successful original IP
    2- Announce sequal
    3- Fire everyone who had something to do with the great first one
    4- Dice up core gameplay in to tiny monetized bits
    ????
    5- Profit
    6- Rinse and repeat until IP is dead and studio is bankrupt.
    7- Repeat process as necessary to appease eldrich gods that feed on the souls of dead game studios.”
    My prediction: when it comes to PC, it will be 20 milion´s of downloads from Reloaded or Skidrow version. Thank you for this one EA!

#11 1 year ago