Nintendo announces new 2DS model that plays 3DS and DS games in 2D

Wednesday, 28th August 2013 16:24 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

Nintendo will introduce the Nintendo 2DS, an entry-level dedicated portable gaming system that plays all Nintendo 3DS and Nintendo DS games in 2D in October.

A “surprise” announcement

The system will launch on October 12, the same day as Pokémon X and Pokémon Y, at a suggested retail price of $129.99.

It is designed specifically as an affordable entry point and will made available in Red or Blue.

Nintendo 2DS plays the entire library of packaged and downloadable games for Nintendo 3DS – only in 2D and is a slate-type form factor.

Nintendo said that 2DS maintains “many of the same hardware features as Nintendo 3DS” such as dual screens, game-play controls and touch-screen features.

It is also backward compatible with the existing library of more than 2,000 Nintendo DS games, as well as access to wireless connectivity features like multiplayer, Nintendo Video and digital games listed in the eShop.

Nintendo still standing behind 3D

Just because Nintendo has introduced a new handheld model focusing on the 2D aspect, doesn’t mean it is ditching 3D.

Speaking with GI International, the company’s executive vice president of sales and marketing Scott Moffitt said the firm is only trying to address the “value barrier” with the handheld, aimed specifically at those who’ve yet to upgrade to 3DS because they are still enjoying their DS device.

It is also aimed at children just entering the video game market, and for parents who don’t want to drop $200 on a gaming system for them.

“Now we’re much closer to $100, which makes it much more affordable for them,” said Moffitt. “I think that was probably the audience we expected or intended to design the unit for.

“The ($99) DS still exists, so it’s really four [items in the lineup]. Certainly our emphasis and our priority is on the 3DS platform. That’s where we’ve made our commitment. That’s our future. So we are not developing gaming content for DS at this point. Our resources are focused on 3DS. But that’ll still be in the lineup.

“Clearly our development efforts all include 3D games. Our installed base, we have eight million units installed. If 3D wasn’t selling and wasn’t part of our future, we wouldn’t be seeing and enjoying the robust sales we have on 3DS right now. The 3DS is the number one gaming platform on the market. We’re having a very good year with 3DS. Our games continue to sell extremely well. Our forecast for pretty much everything we’ve launched this year has surprised us on the positive side.

“We’ve been very happy with the 3DS part of our business. This is really all about addressing that next opportunity in the US market.”

Moffitt went on to say that gamer feedback suggests they enjoy 3D as a feature and Nintendo doesn’t “want to walk away from that at all,” but the games created for 3DS also play well in 2D, which has allowed Nintendo to create a system with a price point it couldn’t get to with a 3D screen.

“If we can get to that in another way… get to a price point of $129 with 3D functionality, it didn’t look like it was possible,” he said. “That’s the reason. It’s less about wanting to have 3D in and it’s more about trying to get to the value price point that’s going to allow us to open up that next part of the market.”

An official information site for the UK is through here.

1. monkeygourmet

WT Actual F?!

Hahahaha! What is the point?! This has got to be a joke?! :D

Why not just make a model with a high def screen instead?!

#1 12 months ago
  2. Dragon246

REALLY?
    If it helps the cutting the price even more, then it could be awesome.

WIIU PRICE DROP! 50$ SHAVED.

#2 12 months ago
  3. Madlink

Oofftt… that thing is ugly. Not really sure who this is supposed to appeal to. Kids will still want the regular 3DS and this…thing…is only $40 cheaper.

#3 12 months ago
  4. matirishhh

1st of April?

#4 12 months ago
  5. MCTJim

well, I cant say that this surprises me really. If you dont want the game in 3d on the newest system you can just slide it to off..matter solved…waste of money really to make another system just for this.

#5 12 months ago
  6. Madlink

I can only assume that it’s ridiculously cheap to manufacture and Nintendo are just like ‘fuck it!’.

#6 12 months ago
  7. matirishhh

oh shit, I saw a photo on IGN…. IT WON THE UGLIEST LOOKING CONSOLE AWARD OF ALL TIMES TOO…..WAAAA TAAAAAA FAAAAAAA?

#7 12 months ago
  8. Dragon246

ONLY $130!

Very good move by Ninty to say the least. I hope Sony does something like that by removing the OLED, just to offer a basic version.

#8 12 months ago
  9. Madlink

@Dragon246 The price is great, but…look at it.

#9 12 months ago
  10. EdNorton

Trailer here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S7AnC9jcIGQ

#10 12 months ago
  11. Dragon246

@Madlink,
    Its ugly. Just like 3ds…. nope, even more ugly.

But the price looks good. I am talking purely from an analytic standpoint. I wouldn’t be caught dead with such an ugly console :P

#11 12 months ago
  12. Professor Zoom

As always they need to update their systems to boost their sales, something they couldn’t already have been capable of 5 years ago.

#12 12 months ago
  13. Lloytron

Words fail me….

#13 12 months ago
  14. Lloytron

They should make a One Direction branded version called the 1DS

#14 12 months ago
  15. Christopher Jack

OMG, still no right stick, dafuq!?

#15 12 months ago
  16. Blackened Halo

DS games in 2D? wow! a must insta mediately buy!!!!

#16 12 months ago
  17. Erthazus

Can we have 1DS?

where like 1D games?

#17 12 months ago
  18. diego-rbb-93

FUUUUUCK!!!!

I SAW NEWS IN KOTAKU AND I THOUGH IT WAS THE BEST JOKE EVER!

HOLY SHIT! I SWEAR TO GOD AND MY MOM THAT I THOUGH IT WAS A DAMN APRIL FOOLS DAY JOKE!

#18 12 months ago
  19. OmegaSlayer

*throws up*
    WDAFUQ!!!

#19 12 months ago
  20. Lengendaryboss

2DS? I don’t know what to say :?

The 2DS looks weird, i not sure how to explain it but its just weird.

#20 12 months ago
  21. diego-rbb-93

So Nintendo makes official they really screwed it up with the 3D stuff and its leaving it.

No 3D in next handheld gen i guess… Meh, I liked it after all…

#21 12 months ago
  22. Obernox

HOLE. LEE. CHIT. THAT THING IS HIDEOUS, IT BURNS

#22 12 months ago
  23. Lengendaryboss

So Nintendo names their remodel of 3DS = 2DS
    MS names their Xbox 360 successor = Xbox One
    Sony names their PSP successor = PS Vita

#23 12 months ago
  24. Fin

Not a looker is it.

#24 12 months ago
  25. SplatteredHouse

Does that red/blue block underneath illuminate and pulse in a pleasing manner? They might be onto something, if it did.

#25 12 months ago
  26. zinc

The fold up design of the DS’s are great, this new cheese slice design…?

Not so great.

#26 12 months ago
  27. Belmont

Next price drop, 3DS will be called 1DS, or DS and it will only play DS games !!

It is a sound strategy, but that is the ugliest piece of thing out there.

#27 12 months ago
  28. Razor

What in God’s name :lol :lol

#28 12 months ago
  29. G-Sama

I … love it :D
    -said no one ever

actually .. the price is somewhat good , and maaaaaybe someone might pick it up for their children or something .. i don’t know about it though ..

#29 12 months ago
  30. Obernox

That 2DS would go great with my Polystation http://www.designer-notes.com/PolyStation.JPG

#30 12 months ago
  31. polygem

it’s cheap. people might consider buying it at that price, maybe they like some games and think, hey, maybe i should check out this wiiu thing as well. i think it’s a pretty clever move.

#31 12 months ago
  32. dizzygear

@8 The OLED screen is one of the most praised features of the Vita. Replacing it to save a few bucks seems like a horrible idea.

We will prolly see a cheaper slim version sooner or later.

This 2DS is… a strange move. Its like Nintendo admits the 3D is a failure.

#32 12 months ago
  33. SplatteredHouse

http://guyism.com/wp-content/uploads/neon-car-lights.jpg <- Artist's inspiration of LIT2DS

#33 12 months ago
  34. Jet Black

Where do I plug my “Circle Pad Pro”? ;-)

#34 12 months ago
  35. Obernox

#35 12 months ago
  36. polygem

shit, i think it looks great. i want one now. will probably buy one for my girlfriend at some point, plus her own copy of animal crossing.

#36 12 months ago
  37. Jet Black

I did wonder why Neogaf was down this afternoon…

#37 12 months ago
  38. Belmont

Generations behind its time …

#38 12 months ago
  39. Bomba Luigi

Oh… this is…. strange. I don’t know what to say, its just strange.

#39 12 months ago
  40. mistermogul

I am speechless…

#40 12 months ago
  41. Christopher Jack

Who does Nintendo hire to design their consoles?

#41 12 months ago
  42. Jet Black

Dutch from Predator said it best…

#42 12 months ago
  43. Dragon246

I am sure some ninty hardcore will lap up any shit ninty produces, including this 2DamnStupid.

@41,
    Good question.
    They should fire him now.

@32,
    Just a choice, nothing more. ANYTHING will be better than this :D

#43 12 months ago
  44. polygem

it has a kaossilator feel to it, or looks like a weird vintage synth. i totally love that vintage look. seriously. nintendo aren’t ashamed of making stuff look like toys, isn’t that great? i think it is.

#44 12 months ago
  45. Gekidami

So its just a DS 2, then. At least Nintendo are finally acknowledging how useless their 3D gimmick was; “Look! Its so pointless, we’ve made a version without it”!

#45 12 months ago
  46. polygem

who says it is pointless??? i for one enjoy that feature a lot.
    it’s just another option. a cheaper way to play great games. wtf is not to like about that?

#46 12 months ago
  47. deathm00n

I think I’m the only one around here who doesn’t see this as a bad idea? For this price I may even finally go back to nintendo games…

#47 12 months ago
  48. polygem

@deathmoon. there really are many great games on the system. it’s probably my favourite system atm really.

#48 12 months ago
  49. Gekidami

“who says it is pointless???”
    Nintendo are. Its not key to the system, because they can easily release a version with the whole gimmick cut out. Therefore Nintendo obviously see 3D as unimportant to the 3DS experience.

“i for one enjoy that feature a lot.”
    Gettouta town! You? You love something Nintendo does?! Truly this is an outcome no one could have foreseen.

#49 12 months ago
  50. deathm00n

@48 I know! But I’m one cheap guy, and I never saw the need for a handheld system, my android phone covered my need this recent years… but now the Play Store is so full of shit I don’t even care anymore. I will see how much it will cost here and then maybe I will be back to Nintendo so many years after my SNES.

Edit: Oh yeah poly, I still owe you that TLOU multiplayer match, let’s see if I have the time this weekend.

#50 12 months ago
  51. CPC_RedDawn

REALLY!!???

WTF? How the hell can that fit into your pocket like the PSVita or 3DS does?

They should of made this with the same flip design or even better just released this IN THE FIRST PLACE!

Or even better released the same design as the PSP GO! With its slide up function. Then allowed it to use a version of Android and licensed it out to mobile ISP’s like EE, THREE, VODAPHONE, etc. And allowed full control of it in a vertical way much like a smartphone. Include an SD or MicroSD slot upto 64GB. Added in 2GB RAM 1GB for Android OS and 1GB for 3DS OS which could of booted up once the phone is horizontal and the screen is pushed up so that Android OS does not get in the way! Slap in a decent 8MP camera. Imagine playing Mario or Zelda on the device and then you get a phone call and you can skype with your friends/family on the go whilst playing games on the top screen and a smaller bottom screen inbetween the controls could be used for touch screen item/maps in game or skyping whilst gaming!!

THIS THING WOULD OF SOLD LIKE HOTCAKES!!

Imagine having a Nintendo DS Phone where there is a market place that you can download and emulate NES, SNES, N64 games for a VERY small monthly fee or included in your phone data plan!!!

Nintendo would of been on top with a device like this! Screw the 3D aspect of it, a Nintendo DS Phone with a HD (min 720p) screen. Unlimited access to past Nintendo games and newer games too both as digital downloads or retail boxed copies! WHILST STILL having access to the full Android Google Market place for Android games as well!

Nintendo missed the boat with this idea and now Samsung, HTC and Apple dominate in this market and soon Nintendo will be making games for them which makes me said… very sad :(

#51 12 months ago
  52. polygem

@geki. it still doesn’t mean it’s pointless. it doesn’t make or break the machine but many games really use that feature in a clever way (mario 3d, layton, pushmo…many more) and it makes those games a better experience. you can play them without that feature though. but isn’t that great. you were able to turn 3d off from day 1. it never was designed for being an essential thing.

also, it’s not that i blindly like everything nintendo man, that’s just not the case. sick of you guys giving me that shit. i just like what i like and nintendo often really nail my taste in games. their games are good, i enjoy them. i enjoy their current systems too but i did not buy a wii before 2011 or so. atm, i think they are doing an amazing job, yeah, i enjoy the hell out of their current games and systems. that’s a problem for you or what are you trying to say?

#52 12 months ago
  53. polygem

@cpc.red.
    that’s not nintendo. they are not about tech. they are about videogameTOYS and that’s a good thing in my book.
    this device clearly speaks that language again and i am impressed by the statement they made with it.

#53 12 months ago
  54. polygem

@moon…i wont be playing online for a while. my dog is very sick. i have to look for her all the time. only bite sized gaming and some posting here and there is possible atm. no time for a dedicated mp match unfortunately.

#54 12 months ago
  55. Cobra951

I think this very much has a place in the market, and Nintendo should give it the grownup treatment. Playing 3DS games on a non-lenticular, non-dodgy, non-eyestrain screen appeals to me, and I suspect many others. And it’s cheaper to boot. Make this in the clamshell form factor even if you have to charge a bit more for it, Big N. Please?

#55 12 months ago
  56. CPC_RedDawn

Yes they are about Videogames and toys but they need to understand the market has moved on, whilst the 3DS still enjoys pretty resonable sales it is nowhere near the sales on the original DS and probably never will be as people are now gaming FOR FREE on their smartphones and tablets with quick, easy, controls, and tons of reply value. Or they game for a VERY VERY little price. Sure if Nintendo entered this market with a device like I said they would be up against some strong competition but I am 1 billion percent sure they would have unrivaled success and the quality of their games would shine through the crap shovelware people lap up every day on Android and iOS.

Instead Nintendo stand firmly in the dark ages, trying new gimmicks every chance they get in order to try and attract new people. I think they were seriously not prepared for the success of the Wii and just sat back and thought to themselves “we’ve done it, we can just sit back a reap the rewards” they released basically a handful of first party games for the Wii in its last three years on the shelves.

Making a device like I said they could release smaller games quicker and cheaper but sell them to a wider audience. I mean, really, how long does it take Nintendo to throw together a 2D side scrolling mario game?? I bet they could make a great 2D Mario with at least 30-50 levels in less than 6 months! Release one of those with a decent marketing campaign for $10/£10 and their servers would get destroyed with downloads. Then license their other IP’s out to other companies like Starfox to Ubisoft, or imagine a CAPCOM Smash Bros! (obviously under the watchful eye of Nintendo!).

Even a device like this could be used a SECOND CONTROLLER for the Wii U. Meaning if I had one of these I could pop round my friends house who has a WiiU and wirelessly sync/connect it and game away!

If you can’t see the potential in a Nintendo DS Phone hybrid device then you are blind!

#56 12 months ago
  57. mistermogul

Even though this is obviously aimed at kids under 10, Nintendo still need to fire their entire design team…

Wii U Gamepad, Wii Mini and now this all look freakin terrible.

#57 12 months ago
  58. xFidelCashflow

Okay…what?

#58 12 months ago
  59. deathm00n

@poly My bad. I know how it is, hope she gets better.

#59 12 months ago
  60. polygem

@moon. thanks man.

@cpc. i know what you mean and i definitely see the potential but i think nintendo don’t WANT to do that. i don’t think they don’t see the (short term) potential in something like that. but i believe their strategy mainly is to be different really. to offer something that’s not really a tablet, that’s not your standard high end home console…but still fun. they now focus on ‘gimmicks’ like some people call it, to maintain a special-status in the gaming world. they then design software around that tech to make it work, to deliver new gaming experiences. they totally focus on that and only that. imo they’re doing a good job with that and for the most part it works. if they would release a device like you described, it might work for them but at the same time it would kill their unique factor. nintendo plays that card, it works and it’s enjoyable for the consumer. i don’t want that to change tbh. i wouldn’t want a high end nintendo branded tablet phone. it would fit to sony much more and i might even be interested in a vita phone hybrid. but from nintendo, i really prefer weird designs like this 2ds right there.

#60 12 months ago
  61. polygem

@57. seriously, i could not disagree more. do you know the kaossilator? i love that thing designwise. compare it to the wii mini. so cool. tbh, i do not like the vita design much, i also prefered the oiriginal 360 design. i just don’t like this ‘high end cool tech this is very expensive electronics’ look.
    not my cup of tea in gaming equippment.
    totally loving the wiiu pad as well…needs a finish like the wii mini though.

#61 12 months ago
  62. monkeygourmet

After the initial shock and reading Eurogamers ‘hands on’, this device makes more sense.

As much as I would love a 3DS XL with a slightly sharper screen, this product is clearly aimed at young children and families who don’t want to break the bank on a kids first handheld.

What with Pokemon arriving, this thing can sell well at that price point. It looks made for some rough and tumble, to be thrown into a rucksack and played on the school bus.

#62 12 months ago
  63. fearmonkey

One day Nintendo will release a Dual stick device and there will be much rejoicing…. and I might actually buy one then.

#63 12 months ago
  64. Logion

Where I live most kids play games on their parents ipads or their own smartphones. I do have to wonder if parents really want to buy these for their kids.

#64 12 months ago
  65. polygem

never ever missed a second stick on the 3ds but i haven’t played many games that would probably benefit from it.
    i played re revelations though. it worked ok but a second stick would’ve helped, but tbh it’s just not a game that i want to play on a handheld. and tbh i did not enjoy the dual stick games on the vita either. there are some nice ones but they mostly feel clunky, especially the shooters. you can design games with the hardware in mind and they will work well if you focus on that. nintendos first party games do that very well but many others suceeded in that regard as well. like the layton games or many many others.
    i really don’t need that second analog, in fact i prefer that it’s not there. devs must come up with other solutions and what that means is, they are forced not to just copy paste their home console concepts onto the handheld. limitations can actually be a good thing. same for music and food. simple but solid wins for me.

#65 12 months ago
  66. MrWaffles

Whay Nintendo is really trying to say:

“We don’t mind folks feeling deceived, but guys, we seriously don’t want to lose money on hardware, and our software sales are shitty at the moment…”

Let’s not forget about this:
    Kid: Mom I want a 3ds SO much!
    Mom: I’ll thing about it sweety
    Walmart: Hey moms! Your kid will enjoy the 2ds JUST as much, it basically the same thing!
    Mom: I guess so…?
    Kid: What the fuck is this shit?
    Nintendo: moneeeey yeah!!!!

The scenario also applies to best-buy, gamestop, and Game stores worldwide.
    Thanks Nintendo…

#66 12 months ago
  67. Professor Zoom

Nintendo 2DS? What about HDS or 3DS? I don’t see how this is new or innovative like the Gameboy Micro that was truly innovative, but Nintendo is not the same comapany anymore, I want a new system that can fit in my pocket not a system that fits your hands like you’re holding a god damn sandwhich.

#67 12 months ago
  68. pcbros

More price options = better. Stop complaining…

#68 12 months ago
  69. rusty_shackleford

All that surface space and only 1 thumb stick? will there be a new iteration of the circle pad pro? this is so poorly designed its a joke.

game boy SP was their best design, followed by the ds lite.

3d is a joke, 2 screens is a joke.

i own all the nintendo handhelds cause i am a gamer and like the huge game library, but the hardware has been clueless.

#69 12 months ago
  70. manamana

This looks so bizarre! Whats up with Ninty?! Is this all they got? Come on, show your WiiU some respect Nintendo and make some proper games for your home console! This is defo a gimmick for Japan as I simply cannot see this selling a lot in western countries.

#70 12 months ago
  71. Biscuitpants

doesnt even look that bad

#71 12 months ago
  72. TheWulf

What?

They doubled the carrying space used to make it less convenient for travelling, they made it more difficult to hold, and… they didn’t even join the screens to make it look swanky?

That’s atrocious.

Go home, Nintendo. You’re drunk.

#72 12 months ago
  73. Digital Bamboo

Nice price.

Might of actually considered buying one, if it folded in half. But not being able to tilt the upper screen to find that optimal viewing angle is a deal breaker for me.

However, these may find a whole new market among kids from less wealthy families. Not everyone can afford to drop $200 on a dedicated portable gaming device like the XL. But $129? Far more reasonable.

#73 12 months ago