Call of Duty’s annual release has reached “pop-cultural inevitability”, says Hirshberg

Wednesday, 28th August 2013 10:22 GMT By Dave Cook

“Another year, another Call of Duty” does seem to have become a gaming culture staple, but Activision’s Eric Hirshberg has stressed that the series’ annual release schedule exists because fans demand it.

Speaking with Eurogamer, Hirshberg claims that yearly Call of Duty sequels – which began back in 2006 – exist because the appetite is there among fans.

He said, “The cadence of the releases seems to have found a nice equilibrium with people’s appetite. There’s demand and excitement each and every time out. Then people are playing throughout the year. We have our biggest community of players today.

“Right now there are more people playing Call of Duty today than ever, which is remarkable for a franchise that’s been around as long as Call of Duty has. But, we don’t take anything for granted.”

He added that Treyarch and Infinity Ward’s desire to out-do each other’s games, and the leapfrogging 18 month development cycles has resulted in a good system that makes yearly releases possible.

He continued, “Having alternating studios is one of the secrets to the franchise’s success. You have different creative people who are strong willed and have minds of their own. Everyone gets what makes a great Call of Duty game. Treyarch and IW are the masters, and have built this thing. So, there’s a lot of common DNA from year to year.

“But then people come in and want to top each other. There’s some healthy competition. There’s a desire within the creative team to not do the same thing and not be stagnant, the same way there is in the player community. Overall it seems to be a good system.”

Are you still pumped by yearly Call of Duty sequels or would you like to see the franchise take a break and return with something bigger? Let us know below.

1. VibraniumSpork

They can’t *not* release one every year now; it’d entirely screw dudebros internal clocks, causing them to wander the cold November streets aimlessly calling people “Fags” and “Douchebags” all hours of the day and night. I’m not putting up with that.

#1 1 year ago
  2. Aullah

“No no… we are not money grabbing douchebags who dont care about the game and still releasing every year. ITS BECAUSE OF YOU!”

“Oh… we are at the next gen already? I guess we could make a new, better engine, but then we could not release it every year… you know… BECAUSE OF YOU!”

#2 1 year ago
  3. _LarZen_

I like that they release a new Call of Duty every year. I get a new insane singleplayer experience and they tweak and improve the multiplayer each year.

If people thought the games was bad or it was to early with a new game each year. People would not buy it, yet millions buy it year after year.

That says allot about the quality and the insane big fanbase.

I know there probably will be some comments on this, all I have to say is to respect that other people have different criteria’s and taste in games then you.

#3 1 year ago
  4. Djoenz

Yeah ive bought the last three cod titles annually tbh :P
    They are just fun.

#4 1 year ago
  5. Max Payne

I only have problem that they used same old engine even now with next gen.But not even that but rather how Infinity Ward and Treyach are in endless loop with cod that they can’t add something that engine can support or is out of cod formula.

#5 1 year ago
  6. Professor Zoom

Call of duty along with Mario, Zelda and Wii fit is definitely some of the most overhyped franchises in the past 10 years.

#6 1 year ago
  7. DSB

I just think it’s a shame that CoD got so expensive. It’s like playing a subscription MMO nowadays.

I don’t see how Activision has any interest in splitting up their userbase.

#7 1 year ago
  8. Djoenz

Its not expensive for me tbh. 60 bucks for a game with countless hours of gaming which makes it definitely worth the 60 bucks. Free MP on PSN and just never buy DLC (instead get a share from a buddy) or other crap like cosmetics.

Not expensive at all.

#8 1 year ago
  9. DSB

@8 If you like something, it stands to reason that you want the full package. I couldn’t care less about the cosmetic stuff, but there’s still 45 bucks worth of map packs that you will want if you like the game.

That makes it a no go for me. Maybe if they dumped the price on the game itself, or made it a GOTY.

#9 1 year ago
  10. Djoenz

I agree with regular map packs I never buy those. Bought one once when it was halfprice, but zombie maps I always buy. Well I bought the zombie maps from Black Ops 1 and they were totally worth it. Map packs from black ops 2 I got from a buddy.

#10 1 year ago
  11. BrahManDude

I never heard of a fan wanting to milk a franchise to death

#11 1 year ago