New Xbox 360 update puts end to Microsoft Points, rolling out now

Tuesday, 27th August 2013 10:48 GMT By Dave Cook

Microsoft has begun rolling out a new Xbox 360 system update that sees the company’s Microsoft Points currency come to an end.

The update emerged in the UK yesterday and ensures that every marketplace item will now be priced using Pounds Sterling.

Your existing Microsoft Points balance will also be converted to your local currency and Eurogamer adds that 800 MSP translates to £6.80, while 1200 MSP is worth around £10.20.

Pat’s also just nudged me and said that the update is now live in France too.

Are you glad to see the back of Microsoft Points? Let us know what you think below.

1. ps3fanboy

hope it will put and end to this rrod infested failbox for good…

#1 11 months ago
  2. wamp

Sh*T I had 500 points for the new halo 4 maps. Am I screwed now?

#2 11 months ago
  3. MidlifeAxe

@2 From what I’ve heard, if you had any MSP remaining in your account, they’ll get converted to your local currency.

#3 11 months ago
  4. mistermogul

Yeah it’s much better to use real currency that way there is full transparency.

The points system is just a way to hide the inflated costs. Nintendo made the same move on eshop and it’s much better (though their prices are still high!)

#4 11 months ago
  5. FuntimeBen

Not better in New York where we are now charged sales on top of our purchases.

#5 11 months ago
  6. wamp

@3 Yeah I ask xbox support and they said that all remaining points in an account will be converted “soon” and can be used from your virtual wallet.

#6 11 months ago
  7. bradk825

I just hope you can still carry a balance if you want and don’t have to pay at the time of purchase. I don’t want to use my actual credit card, I prefer to load it with gift cards.

#7 11 months ago
  8. monkeygourmet

I have 1100 points (UK), how much £££ will that work out as?

Also, how much is 2 brothers in £££ on the MS store?

#8 11 months ago
  9. Cobra951

I think it was live here (USA) too as of yesterday. The reason I don’t know is that I refused the update the system wanted me to get as soon as I turned on the box. I didn’t feel like dealing with it. I play offline most of the time anyway.

#9 11 months ago