Xbox One has the best launch line-up ‘in console history,’ believes Harrison

Wednesday, 21st August 2013 16:15 GMT By Dave Owen

Microsoft’s Phil Harrison has stated that he believes Xbox One’s launch line-up of 23 games is the best “in the history of consoles.”

First party titles Forza 5, Killer Instinct, and Ryse: Son of Rome will be available from day one. They’ll share shelf space with major releases such as Watch Dogs, Call of Duty: Ghosts, and Battlefield 4. Everyone who picks up an Xbox One on launch day will get a digital copy of FIFA 14 packed in.

Harrison spoke to CVG and said that he wants to “make sure the best games are on Xbox. Ultimately it’s the games that make Xbox One stand out, and we have the best line-up of games – we think – in the history of consoles.”

Although not a launch title, Microsoft has also secured the highly-anticipated Titanfall as a console exclusive.

Harrison also told CVG his thoughts on the new Kinect that Microsoft says will be included with every console, even though it will no longer be required for the console to work.

“”What we have shown really well at Gamescom is the magic of games that use Kinect,” Harrison said.

“We have shown the power of voice control. I’m probably going to piss off your readers unintentionally when I say this; I have an Xbox One at home, and being able to walk in and say ‘Xbox on’, and for the system to recognise me, launch and load my profile, and put my choices of content on the font page is a very magical experience.”

Do you agree that Xbox One’s launch line-up is the strongest of all time?

1. Telepathic.Geometry

Hyperbole.

#1 1 year ago
  2. VibraniumSpork

No. But if Titanfall had been ready for launch they’d have that ish on lockdown.

#2 1 year ago
  3. lexph3re

Phil you confuse me…. A 360 game that migrated over to XBONE and 2 games that are technically incomplete on release to the public with games on not just your direct competitions console but also the previous gens make’s for a best line up ever?

I just…don’t understand….

#3 1 year ago
  4. sebastien rivas

I cannot say it is the strongest of all time but they certainly have decent if not strong line up.
    What is sure is that it surely is not the best Phil Arrison’s picture of all time ;)

#4 1 year ago
  5. darthroseman

Will any of these games make an impact like Mario 64? Are any of these games things no one has seen before? No and no.

#5 1 year ago
  6. DrDamn

Polygem look ^^^^ “a very magical experience”!!!!

#6 1 year ago
  7. Joe Anderson

He would say that. Marketing speak nothing more, he’s hardly going to say it’s the worst line up ever is he? What else would be say except our console is the best?

#7 1 year ago
  8. Cleaderwoo

OF COURSE a microsoft executive is going to say the things he’s saying. It would be impressive if a group of ‘neutral’ developers said that, but since it’s coming from a microsoft executive there’s no merit behind what he’s saying.

What company would announce publicly “hey we think our product is just OK.”

#8 1 year ago
  9. sebastien rivas

humm I must disagree to some extent. Titanfall ready or not for day luanch still has assymetrical game mechanics that so far I have not seen before.
    Though if it is like for BF3 and people whine about physics, effective weaponry and alikethen the game will certainly fall down in no time.

#9 1 year ago
  10. Lengendaryboss

@DrDamn @Polygem

#10 1 year ago
  11. sebastien rivas

+1 too.
    Don’t look at the console I want you to have, I talk about games that at least for most we did not developped ;)

It’s ok Phil, you can talk about Xbox 1, we all still have a heart to it… just beware to not take gamers for what they are not.

#11 1 year ago
  12. sebastien rivas

Ho man you just cracked me up on those 2. too bad I had a dam skip Ads on youtube or I would have peed in my pants.

#12 1 year ago
  13. silkvg247

If they add the option for me to walk in and say “Fuck OFF Xbox!” and have it explode or even just walk out of the room with a dejected look, I’ll actually consider buying one!

#13 1 year ago

Speed Devils
    Tokyo Highway Challenge
    TrickStyle
    Virtua Fighter 3tb

#14 1 year ago
  15. VibraniumSpork

@14 Dynamite Cop, Power Stone, Ready 2 Rumble Boxing, Sega Rally 2…great games all. The fact they hit in ’99 makes me feel old though ^_^

#15 1 year ago
  16. mightyhokie

anyone using ‘XBONE’ shows their true colors. You’re not a gamer, you are a Sony fanboy. The Xbox One looks incredible and anyone saying otherwise is fooling themselves. The PS4 looks awesome too. If I could afford both I would…because I’M A GAMER! Not someone who hates one over the other.

#16 1 year ago
  17. VibraniumSpork

@16 http://s10.postimg.org/k9a9dr82h/yeah_ok.gif

#17 1 year ago
  18. polygem

@6:

i teached that guy when he was at sony’s. FINALLY he understands.

#18 1 year ago
  19. fearmonkey

Sorry Phil, I would argue that the original Xbox had a much better launch lineup. It launched with Halo, Dead or Alive 3, and Oddworld:Munch’s Odyssey. It might have had less launch titles, but those three titles were better than anything I can see out for the Xbone (or PS4) on Day 1.

Dreamcast launched with Sonic Adventure, Soul Calibur, Hydro Thunder, and house of the dead 2, which was also a very strong lineup.

Forza is a strong title, Ryse looks nice but meh gameplay wise. Dead Rising 3 looks decent, but the rest are mostly third party titles also available on PS4.

PS4 has Killzone (I have never played the series before so the jury is out on that but it looks good), Knack, and Driveclub. I’m on the fence about Killzone and Driveclub, Knack I want, it looks like an animated movie. All the other great launch titles on PS4 are also available on Xbone.

If you dont have a decent PC, then this launch might be amazing, as it has Battlefield 4 and Watch dogs, and other decent third party titles.

If MS would have made Fable:Anniversary for Xbone at launch, A remastered Halo2, and a decent RPG or platformer, then I might have given the nod to the Xbone

@16 – Using Xbone means your a Sony Fanboy? No, it could also mean you were a Long time Xbox owner who disliked MS’s actions with the Xbox One and thus went to PS4 (As I did), it could be that its funny so you use it, and it could be that you simply dont like writing Xbox One (stupid name),

#19 1 year ago
  20. mistermogul

@1 said everything that needs to be said imo…

#20 1 year ago
  21. TF_PtMaster

I’m getting Xbox One with no games, because of FIFA 14.

But in PS4 i’m spending a lot of money: Killzone, Knack, Assassin’s Creed 4, Watch Dogs and Battlefield 4.

Racing games, i will stick with Driveclub PS+ and GT6 in december. NFS: Rivals looks meh.

Edit: Maybe i will get Dead Rising 3, and Ryse needs to show me more

#21 1 year ago
  22. harr0w

@14 absolutely

#22 1 year ago
  23. MCTJim

The Xbox One has a great launch line up. I will be cherry picking what titles to purchase day one and my genre of preference. I will of course be purchasing mine digitally.

#23 1 year ago
  24. Doppleganger

I agree with the line up on day one. Ever since SNES I bought system day one and I never witnessed such a great lineup. BUT You can’t beat Super Mario bros and Mario 64 doesn’t matter how many other games there are. :)
    Forza 5, Battlefield 4 and Killer Instinct are on my list and Ryse Im still on the fence with its latest gladiator trailer as Im not a fan of that fighting mechanics.

#24 1 year ago
  25. DSB

It just wouldn’t be Phil Harrison if he wasn’t making ridiculous claims.

#25 1 year ago
  26. absolutezero

Why does a title being multi-platform discount it from being taken into consideration with regards to being part of a launch line up?

If you are only buying one console then they have just as much influence as everything else surely?

#26 1 year ago
  27. Joe Musashi

@26 Excellent point.

JM

#27 1 year ago
  28. budoshi

A 26 : excalty.

#28 1 year ago
  29. jcp234

Nope. N64 – Mario 64! Still the best launch title of all time. The only X box one launch title I’m interested in is Lego Marvel Superheroes. Honestly, both the XOne and PS4 have pretty substandard launch titles. I may just skip this generation and stick to PC gaming.

If the PS4 somehow manages to produce Demon Souls 2…everything changes.

-_-

#29 1 year ago
  30. super3001

it is best launch line up ever no doubt

#30 1 year ago
  31. NiceFellow

@26 pretty obvious – if two devices both have the same title then they’re equal. To claim you have a better launch lineup the comparison has to be where the consoles aren’t equal.

Both PS4 and XB1 will have Battlefield, CoD, Watch Dogs, etc. so that aspect of their libraries is a draw.

Therefore the difference is down to Forza vs Driveclub, Ryse vs Knack, etc.

Personally I think they look about equal – XB1 has slightly more retail games and PS4 seems to have slightly more digital/indie games.

It’s a matter of taste which is better.

Now if XB1 was launching with Titanfall or Halo I’d argue it was clearly better. Conversely if PS4 was launching with GT6 then it would easily have stronger lineup (and I’m still amazed they put it on PS3 and not PS4 – good for current customers but and odd choice in terms of supporting PS4).

#31 1 year ago
  32. lookingglass

He’s right. However, VG247 and objectivity do not get along.

#32 1 year ago
  33. Kreion

There are a lot of big hitters coming out on the current gen which will slow the adoption rates I think. I think that GT should have gone up against Forza, since Driveclub is not as good from what I’ve seen. But back to my point, games like GT6 and GTA V will keep people on the current gen for a while.

I’d say the same thing when looking at things like Project Spark, which I don’t think needed to be on the 360 at all. Whilst I can understand they want to get the largest audience, I want them to make the best use of the tech they have, rather than continue using tech as old as the PS3 and the 360′s.

As for who has the better launch line-up, it’s hard to say. I would always say that you really should take franchises out of the equation when looking at launch line-up’s objectively. At least that’s true when talking about people who only get one system; someone who bought a 360 only last gen isn’t going to care about Killzone, just as PS3 owners won’t care about Halo.

Based on that I’d say there are good new IP on both fronts, it’ll just come down to which ones really make people think ‘Next-gen’.

#33 1 year ago
  34. Dave Cook

@15 DYNAMITE COP.

Hero! Loved that game.

#34 1 year ago
  35. zoopdeloop

launch line up is weak on both sides.
    Rehashed franchises for 100th time isn’t exactly a strong launch line up for a next gen console.They both have a new Ip or two but that’s that.Very weak

#35 1 year ago
  36. TF_PtMaster

If anyone ask me, witch one has the system seller at launch, i would say… none. Forza can be a fantastic game, but it doesn’t have Gran Turismo pedigree.

And in the other hand, Shadow Falls can look great, but is no Halo.

The best games, are multi platform and they will be available in current gen consoles.

but i’m buying both consoles ehheheehehe.

#36 1 year ago
  37. zinc

Pfft, The Wii had the best launch titles ever.

Never before has such a small collection of games, sold a console to such a large group of people.

Wii Sports was PERFECT.

#37 1 year ago
  38. salarta

Xbox One has the best Phil Harrison ‘in console history,’ believes Phil Harrison

#38 1 year ago
  39. Keivz

I agree with him notwithstanding the multiplats. Lineup for lineup, it’s the best ever.

My question is, why do people keep trying to compare Forza with Driveclub? Forza 5 is a followup to arguably the greatest racing game of all time. They shouldn’t even be in the same ballpark let alone the same sentence!

#39 1 year ago
  40. DarkElfa

I have the biggest dick in history.

See, we can all make shit up.

#40 1 year ago
  41. pcbros

Don’t forget Killer Instinct!

Xbox One is launching with two fighting games (KI and Fighter Within), two racing game (Forza 5, which beats DriveClub hands down IMHO and NFS:R), two first person shooters (BF4 and COD:G), action games (Ryse, Dead Rising, AC4:BF and Watch Dogs), sport games (FIFA, Madden, etc), and even casual games (Just Dance 2014).

The PS4′s line-up is pretty similar but I prefer Xbox One’s exclusives at the moment.

But how can anyone criticize this launch line-up? There is something for every gamer. This has to be one of the best launch line-ups in my book.

Too many haters out there…

#41 1 year ago
  42. MadFlavour

This is like a fighter saying he’s in the best shape of his life before a big fight. Or a band saying their new album is their best ever. Or someone who’s trying to sell you something telling you whatever they think you want to hear that will make you buy whatever it is they’re selling.

#42 1 year ago
  43. Lengendaryboss

What do you expect? now if this were coming from the customers it would be more trustworthy not completely though.

#43 1 year ago
  44. Djoenz

Titanfall impressed the shit out of me. Is it a launch title?

#44 1 year ago
  45. Lengendaryboss

If your part of the delayed countries yes, if not Spring 2014.

Ok seriously no it isn’t.

#45 1 year ago
  46. Djoenz

Im in the Netherlands :( and yeah I just read its not.. bloody tits I got double analized as in anal btw.

#46 1 year ago
  47. Javinator

Where are the AAA PS4 games?… With all these Indy games, i think PS4 isn’t competing with the Xbox One, instead it’s competing against the Ouya which is pretty sad lol.
    $400 for PS4 or $100 for Ouya…

#47 1 year ago
  48. machy

@47 KZ:SF / Knack / driveclub / shadow beast

and what are U playing on ur x360? NOTHING exclusive

meanwhile on ps3 im done with TLOU getting the tale of xilia then FFVIX and then
    i’ll getting beyond 2 soul followed by rain and maybe FFX/x-2 HD and finally GT6
    2014 so far we have Tale of Xillia 2 LBP

that’s sony for U

#48 1 year ago
  49. pcbros

@47 – lol

@48 – The Xbox 360 has it’s own exclusives (Halo 4, Gears of War: Judgement, Forza Horizon, Minecraft which was the PS4′s big announcement, and soon World of Tanks). So not sure where you got NOTHING, unless that’s what your inner ps3fanboy told you to say.

Besides Killzone, the rest are pretty poor games. Knack looks like a Wii U game and DriveClub is probably going to be worse that GT6 for the PS3.

#49 1 year ago
  50. machy

^^ let me help u

#50 1 year ago
  51. Djoenz

There are more recent exclusives for ps3 than for xbox360 and upcoming. I wont mention the quality of those exclusives either cause thats debatable, but your comeback is quite hilarious.

#51 1 year ago
  52. pcbros

There might be more *recent* exclusives for the PS3 but that’s probably because Microsoft is moving on to the Xbox One. Maybe Sony should have worried more about bringing AAA exclusives to the PS4?

The PS3 and Xbox 360 are like 10 years old. Was it really wise of Sony to bring GT6 to the PS3 and not the PS4 as a launch title? Would the Last of Us not have been a potential PS4 system seller? Instead, they are still focusing on the PS3 and hoping 16-bit indie games sell their PS4.

#52 1 year ago
  53. sebastien rivas

@ 52

Yes and no. Yes, they would definitely be sellers but I heard there was a game draught for 360 in recent months perhaps if not longer. Who says draught may also say comparison with other competitor(s).
    It was just a choice for Sony to not forget about their ps3′ers. That does not mean each title mentioned will not be lifted up to next gen current 2014 and same goes for Xbox1. Titles that sold very well in 2012-13 may be lifted up to next gen while waiting for next sequels.

All i can say is that it is for best of gamers in general.

#53 1 year ago
  54. beast313

@52 That just fits in with Sony’s philosophy for supporting a console with first party offerings, while also launching a new console. Seems to keep to their word of ten year support at least. Microsoft said they would support the 360 for ten years as well, but they may well just mean multiplatform offerings and not first party. They seem to differ on their commitments to customers.

#54 1 year ago
  55. CPC_RedDawn

Considering that BOTH Microsoft and Sony took massive losses on the current consoles when released and only really started making money on the boxes around two/three years ago I would think its still likely we will see games released for the PS3 for another good two years after PS4 is released. They supported the PS1 through majority of the PS2′s lifespan and the same with the PS2 which I believe they only just stopped making a few months back and its still the best selling home console ever made. The PS3 was and still is a flop for Sony, the PS1 and PS2 had the larger install base over its competitors, they sold more third party content than anyone else, they had all the exclusive deals and games, and first party games too. But they seriously dropped the ball with the PS3 for its first two/three years. Then the console came into its own and third party games started to improve a lot, and their first party games have completely blown Microsoft out of the water even if your a hardcore Xbox fanboy you have to admit the games Sony’s studios make are pretty top notch stuff. By Sony releasing games for the PS3 people who don’t want to splash out £399 on a PS4 at launch can buy a 500GB PS3 Super Slim for £150 (if not cheaper) and be happy with the choice of 793 games (thanks wiki).

So you see if your console is still technically on paper a failure then you wouldn’t want to potentially hurt sales by dropping support for the console altogether. The PS3 with a LONG LONG awaited OS UI upgrade and a price cut to £99 for say a 250-320GB Super Slim with one month of PS+ membership thrown in for good measure, it could potentially be a good seller as a games/media console device for the casual/non gamer.

#55 1 year ago
  56. pcbros

@55 – I get it but don’t you want to show your big guns for a system that is about to launch? You don’t have to forget the PS3. It just seems like a semi-weak launch.

For example, if I’m considering trading in my PS3 for a PS4 and I see games like GT6 coming out only for the PS3… I’d think twice about doing the trade. I’d be likely to stick with my PS3 and wait it out. That just means less PS4 sales. Plus by having me wait it out… Sony is now giving Microsoft a chance at convincing me they got the better goods. To each his own, but I don’t fully agree with Sony’s strategy.

Also, isn’t the price cut a $200 12GB PS3? Now, if they had a $150-$200 PS3 with a +200GB HDD and maybe even a downloadable game like Uncharted 3… then I’d be interested.

#56 1 year ago
  57. eXite85

Although the Nintendo 64 just had two launch titles,

Super Mario 64 begs a pardon…….

#57 1 year ago