PS4′s pre-orders outstrip those of PS2 and PS3

Wednesday, 21st August 2013 15:32 GMT By Dave Owen

Sony has confirmed that PlayStation 4 pre-orders are way ahead of its predecessors.

Speaking to VideoGamer, Sony Computer Entertainment UK chief Fergal Gara has said that PS4 pre-orders are “way over and above and beyond the pre-order number at launch day” of PS2 and PS3.

It was revealed at Sony’s Gamescom events last night that the current PS4 pre-order total has surpassed one million units. It’s expected to sell out at launch.

“We’re not disclosing the exact number [of PS4 units] that we’ll have on day one,” Gara said. “Clearly we’re working hard to satisfy a lot of countries. We mentioned 32 countries last night.

“The one comment I’ll make about the pre-order number is first of all, it’s greater than a million, and secondly, the UK represents a very healthy slug of that. We’re undeniably seeing a sea change.”

He added the high level demand is a problem in terms of availability, but that it’s a positive problem for Sony to have at this point.

The PlayStation 4 launches in North America on November 15 and in Europe November 29.

1. Lengendaryboss

I really hope that isn’t what i think it means:

#1 1 year ago
  2. Ekona

No great surprises here. No different to how CoD and FIFA beat sales figures year on year, or any other franchise come to that.

More people play games these days than did in previous years, so pre-orders were always going to be higher.

#2 1 year ago
  3. ps3fanboy

@1 my dear friend it is happening:

#3 1 year ago
  4. Lengendaryboss

#4 1 year ago
  5. VibraniumSpork

@2 Yep, I also think the age of those gamers is key to this. A lot of us who grew up with SNES and Megadrive’s are now of the age where these systems are much more affordable to us personally; no more relying on these things as Christmas presents and so on.

It also seems to me that the PS4 and XB1 herald the beginning of the end of the Console Age. Flash-forward another 10 years and I’ll pretty sure we’ll all be streaming everything…the idea of a disc drive will certainly seem obsolete. For me this is the last change to pick up an honest-to-goodness console on Launch day. Bah, humbug, I remember when everything was 8-Bit etc.

#5 1 year ago
  6. MCTJim

ummm back in the day..I dont think you could have pre-ordered a PS2 or XBox….You couldn’t start doing that until the 360 and PS3.

#6 1 year ago
  7. VibraniumSpork

@6 Oh no, you could definitely pre-order a PS2; I was working at John Lewis at the time. There were these Sony-headed triplicate paper forms that had to be completed in-store to confirm the pre-order, and then the consoles came in those awesome Blue PS2 bags.

#7 1 year ago
  8. MCTJim

@7 in the states? I dont think GS really did that until the 360 and PS3. If so I stand corrected :D…and those were really limited.

#8 1 year ago
  9. VibraniumSpork

@8 Sorry dude, that was in the UK ^_^ I remember being so jealous that I had no chance of affording one at launch…I’m making up for it this November though!

#9 1 year ago
  10. DrDamn

Well this is the SCE UK Chief perhaps some of his comments are UK specific. In the UK they had an official pre-order scheme for PS2. You had to fill in a Sony supplied form.

#10 1 year ago
  11. MCTJim

@9&10 understood :D

#11 1 year ago
  12. monkeygourmet

Also, having a crazy long generation has sure helped people save up! :)

#12 1 year ago
  13. luv1138

I can’t wait to get my hands on a PS4, as of last night, my PS3 broke down. BF3 really does not comply with the PS3, it sucks!

#13 1 year ago