LEGO Marvel Super Heroes Gamescom trailer stacks up the story

Wednesday, 21st August 2013 13:11 GMT By Dave Owen

A new trailer for LEGO Marvel Super Heroes has emerged from Gamescom. It offers the building bricks of the game’s story, which seems to be that very Marvel villain ever is doing bad things, and every Marvel hero ever must band together to stop them. It’s epic.

The trailer shows villains including Doctor Doom, Loki, and Venom. Fighting against them will be Hulk, Spiderman, Wolverine, The Fantastic Four, and pretty much any other Marvel hero you can think of. There’s no gameplay footage, but by now we know what to expect from a LEGO game. There’s a strong streak of humour right through the trailer.

Make sure you stay until the end. There’s a reveal of a villain just a little bit bigger than the rest…

1. VibraniumSpork

They got the Jim Lee Cyclops’ uniform? Win.

#1 1 year ago
  2. viralshag

This has become a day one for me to fufill all of my Lego/Marvel nostalgia dreams.

You had me at “Dr Dooms Doom Ray of Doom!”

#2 1 year ago
  3. actuallyisnotafox

nolan norths deadpool! ^0^

#3 1 year ago
  4. TheWulf

You forgot to tag this one with PC, Mr. Owen! I almost missed it, so I’m glad I was browsing around other tags.

But yes, Traveller’s Tales always release their games for PC. They’re very big on not leaving platforms out. (They view that as dickery of the highest order, and I’m inclined to agree with them.)

Anyway!

I’m looking forward to this. I’ve loved every damn LEGO game thus far, even LEGO Batman 2 (despite not liking DC) which was one of the few open world games I’ve actually enjoyed. And with this, it’s more of what I love but with the Hulkbuster! The Hulkbuster, of course, being all the car-throwing, environment crushing fun of The Hulk, but with flying and lasers too!

My lady friend is equally excited about this because she too loves the LEGO games. She’s said that the problem with the LEGO games is that they’re so engagingly fun that she often forgets to stop playing them, because she’s having such a good time, and then makes the point about how rare this is. So she sees them as slightly dangerous and uses them sparingly, because she just wants to play more because they’re actually just really, really fun.

She’s looking forward to Squirrel Girl as much as I’m looking forward to the Hulkbuster.

Looking at the trailer, I see Tony Snark (notatypo) is on top form. This is good! I was hoping for such. Also, ‘I’m going to spangle you until you see stars.‘ I love you, Traveller’s Tales.

They can’t release this soon enough.

Edit: Wait, that’s not the Mk VI. Wait wait… they have LEGO Extremis? Seriously?

It’s hard to tell because it’s lacking the legs, which were the most prominent differences between them. But it’s also lacking the grey bits on the chest area. For those not in the know, the Mk VI is–shall we say–heavily inspired by Iron Man’s Extremis armour.

Of course, with things being that blocky, I can understand why they hadn’t gone with Tony’s sexiest and sleekest armour. I can but hope that turns up in Marvel Heroes, though.

Still. Huh. Is that the Mk VI or LEGO Extremis? Curious, now.

#4 1 year ago
  5. VibraniumSpork

@5 Wait wait wait…you have a girfriend who’s excited about playing as Squirrel Girl? Why aren’t there more girls in the world like that? ^_^

You were down with the Heroic Age armor though? Blech! On that we’ll have to disagree! ;)

#5 1 year ago
  6. TheWulf

Not sure how to parse that one. She is a lady who is a friend, but girlfriend has connotations.

Anyway, yes, she’s terribly amused by Squirrel Girl. It’s my fault really because I piqued her interest by telling her that SG threw-down with Thanos and actually won, unaided as I recall. Which is absolutely hilarious. I actually believe that one group named her She-Who-Will-End-All-Things or something like that because she’s so tremendously powerful.

I’ll let that sit for a moment. >_>

But yes, Squirrel Girl is one of those characters that needs more time in the limelight. My Squirrel Girl is Rocket Raccoon, whom I love dearly. I’m glad he’s coming out of obscurity.

Edit: It’s also worth noting that we both dig superheroines who aren’t crazy-sexualised and one-dimensional. Squirrel Girl really doesn’t fall into that category. This is also why we’ve been binging on X-Men: Evolution of late, though. Jean Grey and Rogue are handled in very, very respectful ways. Frankly, Evolution has my favourite version of Rogue.

#6 1 year ago