Kinect Sports Rivals dev diary shows off likeness capture, other new features.

Wednesday, 21st August 2013 02:52 GMT By Brenna Hillier

Kinect Sports Rivals uses Kinect to capture the player’s likeness and use that in-game instead of an Xbox Live avatar. It’s just one of a number of new features Rare has developed using the grunt of Xbox one and the new Kinect sensor.

According to Microsoft, the use of new tech means “skill matters”, “precision is rewarded”, and “small movements make big impacts”, which is a far cry from the failathon of most motion games to date. This talk of precision is important because Rare is championing the mini-games collection as a competitive experience with online tournaments – hence the subtitle.

Initially expected as an Xbox One launch title, Kinect Sports Rivals has been delayed to northern autumn 2014. It’s Rare’s first Xbox One title, not to mention likely to become a showcase for the new Kienct, so Microsoft’s delay for further polishing seems like a solid move.

1. FeaturePreacher

Microsoft seems to be making the same softcore mistake that the Nintendo did with the Wii U. That mistake is thinking that softcore gamers are actually gamers. Since they’re not, they’re going to look at this, $500 dollar thing and think there’s no difference between it and what they already have and played on the 360. Hence that softcore use isn’t going to buy it unless MS forces the purchase by discontinuing kinect for the 360. This seems likely with the way they enjoy forcing things now. But even then that softcore user has probably gotten sick of the kinect gimmick and still won’t buy it.

#1 1 year ago
  2. FeaturePreacher

Why is it that vg247 hasn’t moved to a comment system like disqus yet? There really is no reason I should need to reload the page to see updated comments.

#2 1 year ago
  3. Dragon246

^Because Disqus is shit?
    It really is imo. I like VG247 system better.

#3 1 year ago
  4. Liberty Cabbage

Yeah because we all sit here waiting for people’s replies. That’s what VG247 is all about. It’s totally worth installing Disqus just for that. That’s a great case you’ve made.

#4 1 year ago
  5. pcbros

@1 – It sure beats the PS Camera though. Who the heck wants to see themselves on a couch while watching a flying orb shoot you, which leads to a low budget explosion?

Sony doomed the PS Camera, pretty much saying, “we know it sucks, so we will not be standing by it”.

The Kinect is very powerful. I’m sure AAA and indie developers will show us just how cool it can be.

Example, I can just imagine a fighting game where there is no roster but you and your friends become the roster. You are all scanned into 3D fighters and you can customize your attacks and abilities.

Microsoft is sticking by the Kinect.

#5 1 year ago
  6. Tyrantsoul

Not in anyway into motion control.This looks good if you are into that sort of thing.

#6 1 year ago
  7. FeaturePreacher

How does allowing someone to completely disconnect the kinect and still use the XBone show the dedication MS has for the kinect? Hopefully they stick to this gimmick like the Wii U stuck to its gimmicky touchscreen controller. Maybe they’ll find the same success Nintendo has been experiencing lately.

#7 1 year ago
  8. pcbros

@7 – “How does allowing someone to completely disconnect the kinect and still use the XBone show the dedication MS has for the kinect?”

Who cares if you can disconnect it? You can disconnect your PS4 from the internet, right? Does that mean Sony is not dedicated to online?

The important thing is that EVERY Xbox One owner will have a Kinect 2. Developers will not have to decide on whether to cater to a small group that owns it. So they can make use of it with out taking a risk. This is a win win for developers. Sony screwed any developers that wanted to make a PS Camera game.

Remember Kinect 2 is way more powerful than Kinect. It can scan your face, pick up finger, lip and even eye movement. I think people will be impressed once they try it.

“Wii U stuck to its gimmicky touchscreen controller”

Doesn’t the PS4 controller include a touchscreen? Wasn’t remote play (a la Wii U’s gamepad) a big feature discussed at Sony’s conference (even though you need WiFi to use it, where the Wii U does not require WiFi)?

Let’s face it, Sony is only offering a PS3 with upgraded graphics. You are not getting much else. Their big “gimmick” is indie games. Really? You are going to base your next-gen powerhouse console on games that can be bought on Steam for $3-$5 and could probably be played on a PS3.

#8 1 year ago
  9. super3001

ps3.5 is lazy attempt at next gen. sony did nothing special ms built the only true next gen

#9 1 year ago
  10. FeaturePreacher

So what would you think of MS if they dropped kinect like they dropped other things they required.

#10 1 year ago
  11. VibraniumSpork

@8 Where exactly are all these fantastic, world-changing Kinect 2.0 games? Honestly, please point ‘em out – if you get past 5 I’ll post those nude Don Mattrick photos I’ve been hiding these last few months.

#11 1 year ago
  12. viralshag

@11, I’m not getting involved in the argument but I will say that a Kinect with every XB1, plus the indie and self-publishing crowd will probably encourage more people/devs/indies to experiment with the tech.

Are you saying if you did have a XB1 and there was a nifty indie Kinect game that might use it in a way other than arm flailing, you wouldn’t try it just because it was using the Kinect?

I think the first Kinect was pretty useless, underutilised and unsupported but there were some cool uses for it. Off the top of my head GR: Future Soldier used it in the Guncraft part of the game and while not amazing, for things like that I would probably use it. Based on much improving that is.

I’m not saying it’s worth owning but I think it’s a little early to completely write the tech off.

#12 1 year ago
  13. VibraniumSpork

@12 Not at all, I’m very much in favor of the cameras for both systems to be honest. The Kinect improvements are exciting and (though I might catch some derision for this) I’ve pre-ordered the PS4 Eyecamera for launch day. Either in their offerings for stand-alone games, or for the voice/gesture command augmentations they offer on other titles – it’s all good. It’s a breeding ground for interesting (if not always fully realised) ideas.

I was mainly poking fun at ‘pcbros’ – his fanboyism was so aggressive that I couldn’t resist a l’il jab ^_^

#13 1 year ago
  14. viralshag

@13, Ah ok. ;)

I’m bit of a fanboy of MS too, I guess. Just not a rabid one that can’t see the value of other consoles.

In some ways I kinda agree with pcbros in regards to the dropped backing of Sony’s camera. I’ve said it before, I think both companies wanted their cameras to be a big part of their systems and Sony cutting it out of the package runs a slight risk of devs not offering as much support for their camera. Which in turn could mean a wasted investment in the tech. That’s just opinion and prediction though, not anything more than that.

Of course it could be like this gen where devs don’t make much effort for either of the cameras in which case XB1 buyers are paying a higher price for nothing. I hope that isn’t the case because when it’s used to support a game rather than be the main gimmick, it can work quite nicely.

#14 1 year ago
  15. Lengendaryboss

@Viral
    What i find sad is that people keep insinuating Sony dropped the camera just because of a denied rumour.

I don’t know where Sony said the camera was bundled.

#15 1 year ago
  16. VibraniumSpork

@14 “Of course it could be like this gen where devs don’t make much effort for either of the cameras in which case XB1 buyers are paying a higher price for nothing….when it’s used to support a game rather than be the main gimmick, it can work quite nicely.”

Exactly. I just think it’s weird how, as you (and pcbros) says, Microsoft have the advantage of shipping the camera with the system, and the more experience with the platform…and yet it seems to be quite a way down on their list of priorities. There’s been what, 2 games officially announced/trumpeted for it so far? Sony’s has even less with the admittedly fun but shallow-looking Playroom…I guess both have Just Dance?

It’s the ‘support’ bits that I’m also surprised hasn’t been made more of, especially from EA and Activision. You can’t call “Time Out” on NBA 14 with a voice command, or “Attack/Heel” for COD’s Dog? C’mon, surely that stuff’s a no brainer!

#16 1 year ago
  17. viralshag

@15, Fine, does that really change the context of the comment though?

@16, Well at least you get what I was saying. Some games did have stuff like that. You can call out tactics in FIFA 13, like the offside trap. And of course there was the integration with Mass Effect 3, using voice commands to use squad commands. There was more use of it towards the end of this gen but nothing that really made it a must-use feature.

This is all stuff you could really do with a standard mic though, so really the camera is less important even in those situations.

#17 1 year ago
  18. DrDamn

I’d never really considered the Vita remote play angle of the camera included/not included debate. I agree with viralshag that the likely outcome is that it won’t be very well supported, but on the other hand it’s not had the system designed around it either. It’s not as fully featured or advanced as Kinect either, so uses are more limited. It’s been a considered choice to not include it from base price reasons.

I can see why Sony haven’t included it – and I can how Vita remote will have played a part in that decisions. I can see why MS have included Kinect too. I think both are the right decision for each company too.

#18 1 year ago
  19. Lengendaryboss

@Viral
    It does, for something to be dropped/cut out of the package it has to exist.

Its similar to saying MS dropped Kinect because of a denied rumour but people think it isn’t true.

#19 1 year ago
  20. DrDamn

I don’t think Sony wanted Playstation Camera to be a anywhere near as big a part of the system as MS do with Kinect. It was a natural evolution of what they had done before and links in with the system, but a big part of it? No. It was always going to come second to Kinect and I think they realised that.

#20 1 year ago
  21. viralshag

@19, You’re really just nit-picking on a sentence that really wasn’t integral at all to the point I was even making. If I was talking about pricing of the consoles then sure but I’m talking about the support and potential of each tech. Please carry on if you want to though, DrD and VSpork seem to get the nuts and bolts of it.

@20, I’m not sure. Granted we haven’t seen much of the PS4 camera but the tech doesn’t seem that far off the Kinect. The impression I get now is almost as if they’d be happy if it didn’t even exist but then maybe that’s just because of the whirlwind that surrounds the Kinect, positive and negative.

I’m not saying they’re wrong not to include it or that they should even bother putting any focus on it. Personally, I think the integration of tablets and/or Vita looks much more interesting than motion control.

#21 1 year ago
  22. Lengendaryboss

No never mind.

#22 1 year ago
  23. MCTJim

this^^^^^

That is the reason it is and shall be included with every XBox One. Low risk to develop for. Quite a few devs have said it is very powerful and easy to work with thanks to the software that supports it.

I want the Kinect not only for in game use, but for out of game use too…xbox..family guy..xbox fantasy football..etc

#23 1 year ago
  24. VibraniumSpork

Did anyone see that little video face in the top-right-corner of the Sony Killzone demo yesterday ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NCkC6NGkS0Y @ about the 22:00 mark)? Looks to me like they could be including non-intrusive video chat into MP games and stuff? And War Thunder has ‘head-tracking’.

Neat little features both. Not game-changing, but welcome all the same.

#24 1 year ago
  25. Phoenixblight

Thats great except you watch all the games for the Xbox One and the only thing the kinect is used for is menu navigation and voice commands. Hardly worth the piece of hardware. MS still has yet to prove why the Kinect comes with the system which validates why its 100$ more than its competitor. Its pretty much the same issue Nintendo is having with the Wii U.

#25 1 year ago
  26. pcbros

@10 – If they drop it, then I would feel the same way I feel about Sony dropping the camera. They didn’t believe in it.

@11 – It’s going to take time to see the true potential of the Kinect 2. But no matter how you see it, PS Camera is DOA and Kinect 2 atleast has chance at success. You take which you prefer.

I’m not paying $400 for a PS3.5 that can play Minecraft, Isaac Rebirth or other arcade/indie games.

I have no loyality to ANY company (I was SNES in the 16-bit era, then it was Playstation / N64, then Playstation 2, then I went with the Xbox 360 and now I’m waiting to see which way I go) but besides inFamous 3, there is nothing else that would pull me towards a PS4.

When Sony said at the end of the conference, “And now I’m proud to announce another game coming to the PS4…”, I thought they were going to show Uncharted 4. But when they announced MINECRAFT, I felt they just failed. It’s like Microsoft announcing “Wolfenstein” as their big game.

I’m excited to see what developers will do with the Kinect 2. Atleast there is hope for that… while the PS Camera has no chance of survival.

#26 1 year ago