Diablo 3: Reaper of Souls expansion revealed, detailed – videos, screenshots

Wednesday, 21st August 2013 10:55 GMT By Dave Owen

Today at its Gamescom press conference Blizzard announced Reaper of Souls, an expansion pack for Diablo 3. It’ll contain a new class, act, and endgame options. The cinematic trailer is posted below, along with a gameplay clip.

Here’s the story synopsis:

“The defeat of Diablo, Lord of Terror, should have given rise to an age of hope. Instead, it has drawn out a shadowy being of immense power, whose malevolent purpose is yet to be revealed.”

Reaper of Souls marks the return of Malthael, the fallen Archangel of Wisdom, but he has returned as the Angel of Death and seizes the Black Soulstone, which contains the essence of the Prime Evil.

It now falls to the players to track down Malthael and stop him before he unleashes irreversible havoc on the world. Fortunately, a new hero is ready to join the cause and bring Malthael to justice—the Crusader.

“Driven by a centuries-long quest to cleanse the corruption blighting their beloved Zakarum faith, Crusaders are warriors of righteousness who have been hardened through relentless, brutal combat with the foul evils plaguing eastern Sanctuary,” said Blizzard. “In addition to wearing immensely heavy armor and wielding a wide range of cruel and punishing weapons, this new playable class in Reaper of Souls uses battle magic to strengthen allies and weaken foes.

“A natural walking tank, the Crusader adds power and versatility to any party of adventurers.”

Reaper of Souls increases the game’s level cap to 70 as well, and players continuing on with their existing characters can collect new spells and abilities as they advance in level.

The expansion also “accentuates the key features of the Diablo franchise,” with a greater emphasis on randomized environments to explore; new quests; new monsters; and substantial updates to the loot experience, enabling players to further customize their characters with new and improved multilevel Legendary items, new Blacksmith and Jeweler item-crafting options, and more.

Diablo 3′s Paragon progression system is also being majorly upgraded for the expansion, adding even more end-game character advancement and replayability.

Two new game modes—Loot Runs and Nephalem Trials—are being added as well.

Further details about the expansion will be revealed at BlizzCon and beyond as development progresses.

1. Hcw87

Awesome.

#1 1 year ago
  2. hives

Guess I’m gonna reinstall D3 after beating in once on Normal. Nice change would be throwing AH out :P

#2 1 year ago
  3. Erthazus

^ If you played on normal. It does not affect you in any way.

I played through Inferno and beat all bosses in Inferno. AH only affects That difficulty.

#3 1 year ago
  4. Hcw87

Being updated constantly.

Loot runs confirmed.

”New Feature! Loot Runs!
    15-20 minute completely random dungeons!

Comparison between original Diablo 3 and the expansion:
    In the original’s Act 3 you can find 256 white, 399 blue, 275 yellow and one legendary items.
    In Reaper of Souls, the numbers are different: 73 white items, 266 items and 83 rare items, but with a much better individualization for the character you’re playing! ”

#4 1 year ago
  5. hives

@3 – What do you mean? I didn’t even bother to play harder levels, because… why should I? I can buy stuff on AH, so why the hell play? I played D2 for long time for this nice feeling of getting an item I wanted to get etc. That’s what I mean.

And now – Loot Runs… How this will work with AH I wonder.

#5 1 year ago
  6. Hcw87

Well, they’re making legendaries less rare, and items that drop are actually good now, so the AH will have far less of a use.

Currently, you can play for a day and vendor everything you find, because the stats are so crap on the items you find. This is going to change.

#6 1 year ago
  7. Max Payne

This is not standalone right ?

#7 1 year ago
  8. Talkar

Nope, this is a good old fashioned expansion pack :)

#8 1 year ago
  9. backup

looks garbage like all PC game

#9 1 year ago
  10. fightclubdoll

Any indication that this will be part of the console version?

#10 1 year ago
  11. Erthazus

@hives, Normal and Hard difficulties give you good items like in D2 and etc.

AH only affects Inferno dofficulty.

#11 1 year ago
  12. Gheritt White

Bah, a Paladian-alike? Suppose I’ll have to wait *again* for something to be on par with D2′s Druid class.

#12 1 year ago
  13. Stephany Nunneley

I just added all the information from the PR and screenshots and artwork in there. There’s also the gameplay trailer in case you hadn’t checked back in there as well.

#13 1 year ago
  14. Obernox

Oooh nice, hopefully it’ll reach consoles as well.

#14 1 year ago
  15. Patrick Garratt

That looks awesome. Crusader looks wicked.

#15 1 year ago
  16. monkeygourmet

Always play as Paladin / Crusader if poss. I hope this class comes to console versions, any news on that?

I may get it for PC when I finish it, but don’t like the look of the mouse click control, looks like a RSI nightmare…

#16 1 year ago
  17. Zero187

Good trailer, but I fear that’ll be about all we can expect from Blizzard. They are going for a money grab with the expansion just like with original D3. Unless AH is removed, I won’t support this scam. And this is coming from a die-hard D2 fan and once-upon-a-time WoW player. Oh yea, I also put about 1300 hours into my D3 char. I loved Blizzard but they’ve pushed it too far with their scams. 1.08 Gold Dupe with no rollback was the last straw. Boycott the thieves!

#17 1 year ago
  18. GwynbleiddiuM

Looks wicked I hope they add offline + LAN mode so I can play it with my brothers without experiencing lag and DCs. I want my Necromancer, why only one new class? LoD added 2 as far as I remember, assassin and druid. Why just Crusader?

#18 1 year ago
  19. Rafa_L

No way I’m giving this franchise any more money. The Diablo 3 experience I had at launch won’t be forgotten so soon.

#19 1 year ago
  20. redwood

What’s gungrave doing in diablo :P
    but seriously man, the last part of that vid was just awesome. where he breaks those metal things and frees the black soule stone stone. WICKED!!!

#20 1 year ago