Call of Duty: Ghosts and female soldiers – what took so long?

Saturday, 17th August 2013 15:48 GMT By Catherine Cai

Catherine Cai got to grips with Call of Duty: Ghosts’ multiplayer last night, including the infamous new female soldiers, and asked senior producer Yale Miller what took Infinity Ward so bloody long.

Call of Duty: Ghosts Multiplayer reveal

Lots of news came out of Activision’s big LA event last night. Here’s our recap of the Ghosts multiplayer reveal as it happened.

Two special editions were unveiled.

Two new gameplay modes were announced, Cranked and Search & Rescue.

If you pick up Call of Duty: Ghosts on a current-gen console, you’ll be able to transfer to next-gen hardware by importing your profile.

Finally, check out a bunch of Call of Duty: Ghosts trailers, gameplay footage and screens.

I got a hands-on demo with the Call of Duty: Ghosts multiplayer and interviewed an Activision representative last night. Yes, pretty explosions showed off the game’s dynamic lighting and new game modes were discussed in vague, “we’re clearly milking this for hype” fashion, but I’m not going to write about any of that. Quite frankly, the rest of the internet has me covered on that front.

As a lapsed and rather disinterested CoD player, I’m less keen on the new gameplay modes Infinity Ward unveiled and much more intrigued by what is regarded by most CoD fans as a superficial addition to the series: women soldiers.

No, I’m not decrying Infinity Ward and Activision’s attempt at being more inclusive in any way. I’m all about the increasing prevalence of women characters in games. Really, my only thought when I saw a female soldier at the end of the multiplayer reveal trailer was: “What bloody took so long?”

Call of Duty’s been around for a long while, and for that entire time, a majority of its audience has comprised of 18-35 white heterosexual males. Naturally, Activision’s always catered to this market. As a war shooter, Call of Duty contains generally the things that one would expect of the genre—guns, violence, blood—essentially a lot of the stuff traditionally thought to appeal to those of the masculine persuasion.

Since women were left out of the equation, Activision saw no need to include a female avatar, because, of course, the 18-35 white males playing would only identify with male soldiers. In recent years, CoD fans have been clamoring for female soldiers to be added to the franchise. They were, for one reason or another, ignored, and, on the gender equality front, CoD fell behind Halo and even the testosterone-laden Gears of War series.

I sat down with Activision senior producer Yale Miller and asked him why, after all these years, Activision had finally decided to add women soldiers.

“Well I think it all started with the character customization stuff and it made sense, right?”

For those unfamiliar, Miller is referring to the beefed up character customization options in Ghosts. Previously, players could only customize the load outs of their characters. To make their characters unique and special snowflakes for Ghosts, Infinity Ward decided to open up the option for players to change the way their characters look.

“There are female soldiers in combat,” said Miller. “Why shouldn’t there be? It’s one of those – and I know it’s a story beat for this, but it’s like, it just makes sense. That’s the way it is. There are women in combat, so it’s kind of a no-brainer. Why shouldn’t they be? We get asked that question by girl gamers all the time, like, ‘When are you going to put a female character in?’ There should be.”

The multiplayer reveal trailer.

Actually, there are currently no female US soldiers in combat roles as we would see in Call of Duty’s multiplayer. Though American women have been allowed to serve in the military since the 1940s, women have pretty much been shepherded out of direct combat roles. Only recently has the US government finally lifted the 1994 ban on women in direct combat roles, with female soldiers expected to begin serving in 2016. “Realism” can’t be used to explain why women are present now; and therefore, it’s a bit silly to suggest it could be used to explain their absence either. So: why didn’t Activision bother throwing in a female character model or two in past Call of Duty games?

I tried to make myself a little clearer. “Why did it take this long?” I asked him. Miller’s response was on par with the one that Ghosts executive producer Mark Rubin gave Kotaku: “I think the character customization added that,” Miller explained. “There’s so much work.

“Character customization is not as easy as, ‘Oh, we just did character customization.’ There’s a ton of engine and backend work to be done. If you think about it, you have the same texture in the game over and over again, if you had that and the game was all these walls made of the same texture. You only need that texture once, right? But when you’ve got all these different textures, all these different models, it’s a whole lot of back end work that’s needed to be done.”

Essentially, Infinity Ward and Activision have tried to explain away the fact that female characters haven’t existed in the Call of Duty games due to technical limitations. But really, the unsaid statement there is rather clear: adding a female character is a lot of work, and we didn’t think it was worth our time until gamers were knocking down our doors to make it happen. I’d rather that Infinity Ward and Activision been straight with their audience about the reason why it took so long to add women into its multiplayer rather than trying to make themselves look blameless by offloading the issue on a technical problem.

1. Hcw87

Seeing as female soldiers are both smaller and thinner than your average male soldier, pretty much everyone should pick a female avatar in this game.

Why? Smaller hitbox.

So i’m sure that the vast majority of female avatars running around will still be your average 14 year old CoD player.

But implementing female avatars is a plus for sure, aslong as they get it right when it comes to the hitboxes.

#1 8 months ago
  2. G1GAHURTZ

This won’t end well…

#2 8 months ago
  3. OlderGamer

I wonder if the hit box is smaller? I know in the past in certain games, I have opted to create shorter and thinner toons for that very reason. Gave me a tactical advantage.

As for gender/war/video game…I personaly don’t see the big deal. My wife served in the US armed forces. It is a none issue in my book.

#3 8 months ago
  4. FeaturePreacher

I guess chicks don’t understand game engines or will always look for some reason to be a victim. Can’t wait to see all the complaints from these chicks about the guys playing as ladies simulating sexual acts.

#4 8 months ago
  5. Froseidon

@4 – I’m not a woman and I can say your comment seems somewhat sexist. “Chicks don’t understand game engines” is a really poor choice of words. There are women in the industry who can be just as talented as men, just there aren’t as many in the industry, it is a bit of sausage fest. The same can be said for gamers out of the industry.

#5 8 months ago
  6. Ireland Michael

What took so long? Well, the (unfortunate) reality is that women weren’t even allowed to fight on the front lines in the US Army until earlier this year. It would have actually been unrealistic to put them there if you’re going for an air of authenticity.

Not to say that Call of Duty is a testament to authenticity or anything, but since the laws have changed no game going forward really has an excuse not to put in a female model from now on.

The hitboxes are going to be the exact same size. It’s not going to be difficult to make a female model the same stature as the male one, especially with all that gear on them.

#6 8 months ago
  7. For Blood

Mark my words, starting now and ending in 1 year, time there will be stories saying Call of Duty promotes violence against women.

#7 8 months ago
  8. Ireland Michael

@7 Highly doubt that.

#8 8 months ago
  9. zinc

Money & expected audience demographics kept female avatars out.

A cynical move to regain lost relevance got them in.

Be interesting what ethnic options are available for customization.

#9 8 months ago
  10. For Blood

#10 8 months ago
  11. Ireland Michael

@8 “You don’t know American sensationalist liberal media then. They still say there is a link between video games and school shootings, even though studies prove otherwise.”

I’m fully aware of “American sensationalist liberal media”. I’m also aware that most people can tell the difference between reality and fiction, and the vast majority of people laugh at it.

@9 I highly doubt that too. People read into stuff way too much sometimes.

Half the time you can’t even see the soilders faces.

It’s easy to find excuses to insult the games to justify your own personal bias against it, but there’s such things as clutching at too many straws.

#11 8 months ago
  12. zinc

Oh I’m with For Blood on this one.

I can definitely see some media news service getting outraged over female avatars being knifed & t-bagged, in vids all over youtube.

I’d say 6 months after launch.

#12 8 months ago
  13. BrahManDude

COD looks good for the 1st two weeks then when the Honeymoon phase is gone the game gets boring that’s why the franchise is yearly

#13 8 months ago
  14. zinc

@11, Are you fucking kidding me Micheal?

I’m not insulting a franchise I’ve loved, something you of all people cannot claim.

#14 8 months ago
  15. Ireland Michael

@12 Yes, and nobody except a handful of conservatives who actually watch the likes of Fox News or read the Daily Mail would give a crap. Everyone else will point, laugh, and get on with their lives.

Most people don’t care what the tabloid media says. Like I said, they’re smart enough to tell the difference between reality and fiction… and I’m not just referring to the games.

@14 “But I do believe the addition of female avatars is a simple marketing push by Activision, at a time when perception is that CoD brings nothing new.”

Yet its still one of the best selling franchises on the market.

You can’t complain that it brings nothing new… than complain when it does.

It’s only a marketing ploy insofar as it gives more options to female players, which regardless of the circumstances can only be considered a good thing for the players themselves. Some women like to blow shit up. Now they can do it with an avatar that actually represents them somewhat.

I think the funniest thing about this is the fact that its CoD that’s doing it first. It’s not going to convince me to play the games if the gameplay hasn’t improved, but I’m not going to let my own personal biases cloud my judgement when they actually do something *good*.

#15 8 months ago
  16. redwood

call it what ever you want.. but this should have happend long time ago. good work activision.

#16 8 months ago
  17. For Blood

Right now the NAACP is wanting the DOJ to investigate a rodeo clown who wore an Obama mask and asked if they wanted to see him runover as a hate crime. If there is a story like that, you can bet your bottom dollar there will be a story on COD and violence against women.

#17 8 months ago
  18. DeVitowned

The reason this too long is because of engine limitations. Now, with the update, they can handle extra boobie pixels and jiggle physics.

#18 8 months ago
  19. zinc

@15, Er, I’m not complaining? And CoD isn’t the first MP shooter to have female avatars.

It’s marketing, no big deal. Maybe you should read the last sentence of the story again.

#19 8 months ago
  20. YoungZer0

@6: “Well, the (unfortunate) reality is that women weren’t even allowed to fight on the front lines in the US Army until earlier this year.”

Really, they were not allowed to? If women wanted to fight on the front line, they could’ve done so years ago. That here is the sad reality:

Only 2 women voluteered and they both failed the test.

@10: “You don’t know American sensationalist liberal media then.”

Right, the liberal media.

@11: “I’m also aware that most people can tell the difference between reality and fiction, and the vast majority of people laugh at it.”

@18: Engines limitations? Are you fucking kidding me? Do you know how ridiculous that sounds? “I’m sorry sir, we couldn’t create female avatars, the engines just too limited for that.”

#20 8 months ago
  21. DeVitowned

#20

Is your sarcasmometer broken?

#21 8 months ago
  22. zinc

@18, I hear Team Ninja lent a helping hand.

#22 8 months ago
  23. Ireland Michael

@20 “Really, they were not allowed to? If women wanted to fight on the front line, they could’ve done so years ago.”"

As infantry, they most certainly were *not* able to do so. Only in support roles. That rule was scraped this year. Whether those women failed the test is irrelevant – the option is now there.

“Right, that explains the entire series by Anita Sarkessian or whatever her name is. And yep, she mentions violence against women in her videos too.”

I fail to see the relevance of this.

#23 8 months ago
  24. monkeygourmet

They better not be ugly female avatars…

#24 8 months ago
  25. aaron_avelino

Wow, before there are no women in CoD games you complain now that they included women you still complain. Maybe that’s the reason why devs don’t include women cuz they always b*tch about everything.

#25 8 months ago
  26. Mjorh

Considering the age interval of most players in CoD servers …man this ain’t gonna end up well!

#26 8 months ago
  27. RocknRolla

I´ll tell you what happened.. Battlefield 4 happened :) Ofcourse they had to do it for COD as well :) now it is COD that takes from Battlefield :) even the knifing is copied ffs COD is dying very fast, especially with the exact same engine. There is just no possibility that I will buy Ghosts… Ok maybe just for the story :D

#27 8 months ago
  28. zinc

^ Female avatars are NOT playable in BF4 MP…

Which is more of a reason for CoD to include them.

Classic willy waving (ironic!)

#28 8 months ago
  29. Christopher Jack

Am I the only one who doesn’t give a shit either way? Even if I gave a shit about CoD the inclusion of woman wouldn’t phase me the slightest. Of course as mentioned above woman in games tend to have a smaller frame hence a smaller hitbox so that could provide a slight advantage.

#29 8 months ago
  30. Knight Of Justice

Is there any other game which has female playable character in multiplayer?
    A shooter I mean?

#30 8 months ago
  31. Major Mayhem 70

I know a lot of women that play COD and are glad to see that a female soldier is now an option for them to select. I think it’s funny how conservatives want to control the options that a woman has even down to what type of charecter she could select.
    As far as the rodeo clown wearing an Obama mask. There were plenty of people that attended the rodeo and were offended by it. All of whomever were Caucasian. But of course Fox News wouldn’t tell that part of the story to their viewers. That wouldn’t sit right with the birthers and hate mongers that they try to appeal to.

#31 8 months ago
  32. Phil Owen

@30 Ever heard of Gears of War?

#32 8 months ago
  33. bradk825

I look forward to building my squad of mixed race and sex for squads mode. I think that part will be kind of fun. Since part of that includes who your friends will fight if they take on your squad while offline, I hope you get to name them all too. We’ll get to put a little of who we are into the squad.

#33 8 months ago
  34. bradk825

@30 Also Halo.

#34 8 months ago
  35. Erthazus

yeah btw. I see a lot of people picking female soldier. Smaller hit boxes + BOOBS.

#35 8 months ago
  36. Djoenz

Mmmm I luv boobz

Edit: and big booty! !

#36 8 months ago
  37. Lengendaryboss

I’m starting to think certain people will be playing female soldiers for all the wrong reasons.

But seriously its a good way for female gamers to feel comfortable with their soldier online.

#37 8 months ago
  38. CaptPierce

This thread should be a lesson: Politics and video games never mix well.

On topic, this is great to hear nonetheless. I know plenty of girls that play this game, so this should be good news for them.

#38 8 months ago
  39. Imperius

Girls don’t fight wars on the front lines. They do it in the office and the hospitals. That said NO FEMALE AVATARS should be in this game. Keep it real. I don’t care what your thoughts on the matter are. It’s the facts.

#39 8 months ago
  40. Fin

“Keep it real”

Have you ever played a Call of Duty game bro? It’s just about the furthest you can get from “real” war as is possible.

This is a good thing. Anyone who says otherwise is sexist tbh.

#40 8 months ago
  41. YungBroccoli

@30 Female Avatars in Rainbow Six Vegas 2006 With Full Gear Customization

Also Lean and Peek Multiplayer in Metal of Honor Warfighter 2012, Killzone 2 singleplayer 2009

#41 8 months ago
  42. Lengendaryboss

Please stop it with sexist/stereotypical comments and condescending attitude.

Next you will be saying women belong in the kitchen, this ain’t the 19 century.

#42 8 months ago
  43. powerVIOLENCE

Merp.

Lots of dudes seem to be offering a lot of opinion on women being anywhere near combat roles without much fact backing it up.

Also, Delta’s “Funny Platoon”.

That’s just off the top of my head.

#43 8 months ago
  44. fengato

“Own up to your shortcomings, Infinity Ward, Activision. While bringing women to the multiplayer is something of a step forward for the series, I won’t be applauding. Let’s all think about this for a minute: should we really be celebrating the fact that women were added into the game after dogs?”

Fact is Catherine, at this phase of the current gen, COD devs fight incredibly hard for texture resources (this is why every game in the series has used duplicate rather than bespoke avatars.) Indeed the very number of weapons is constrained by the limited texture budget. Prior to Ghosts, using texture budget for female avatars would have compelled all to play as women for some classes, which really doesn’t make demographic/business sense.

No need for consternation – a male dominated industry has just made a positive step forward. COD may be late, though it was technically easier for Halo to get there earlier due to the lack of avatar faces and hair.

#44 8 months ago
  45. Zohar

I guess I should preface this statement by saying I’m 100% for the inclusion of female character models. I think it’s great, and if it adds something to the game for some players, then I’m all for it. More options=better. That said, I guess I’m about to go on a big rant about the issue in general and the arguments I’ve seen thrown around.

I think this is a classic example of people with serious political/social agendas latching on to and applying them to completely inane topics (such as female character models in videogame multiplayer, not actual women in combat or woman’s role in modern society).

The absence of female soldiers in CoD and BF games has nothing to do with games being designed for “white heterosexual males between the ages of 19-35.” I reject that argument outright in every context in which it is used. You can’t just repeat that mantra about *insert whatever you don’t like and want to change here* and expect to not have to defend your position with actual fact.

CoD is played by tens of millions of people all across the world of different races, religions, cultures, creeds, economic situations, and political persuasions. You can’t just drop the “this is designed for white males and therefore is bullshit, and if you disagree with me you’re a bigot” argument. The article is unbalanced and one-sided.

I fit that demographic role and I don’t give a shit what my character model looks like when I’m playing. Main characters in story driven games are absolutely designed for a demographic in many games (and movies). Women are generally under represented in that sense and male characters are almost always stereotypical attractive, cool, highly skilled, strong-willed, brave, physically perfect heroic super-men. Hardly a respectful or realistic image of actual men so it’s not like it’s just women who are inaccurately portrayed in popular media.

I’m not buying the “girl gamers want to identify with their characters” argument. OK I can’t say it’s not true, because I’m sure it is. it’s a valid argument, but let me point out that in no CoD game or BF game to my knowledge do you ever actually see your own character model (unless it’s on a kill-cam). Other than that, the player’s perspective of the world is through the eyes of a floating gun. There is no character customization or any opportunity to admire what your soldier looks like in CoD as far as I know. IIRC in CoD your character model is randomly chosen at the start of the every game, and in BF, your character model is class-based with some random elements and you can set the color of your camo. So I question how anyone, male or female, is going to identify with their MP character’s identity or if it’s even possible. To me the only thing I’m thinking about is the gameplay during a MP match. Players in MP aren’t “characters” like in SP.

I’m sure the only concern of the developers is to have enough character models to make sure you’re not fighting an army of clones and that the gameplay is actually good. These people are making games first and foremost, not social engineering.

The author doesn’t attempt to explore the validity of IW’s technical issues claim. I don’t know the authors technical background but is she really in a position to call bullshit on that claim? If not, ask someone who is and do your due diligence as an author.

You only have so much time and resources to develop assets, even if your name is Infinity Ward. If your 2 factions in the game are the US Marines where up until recently 0% female combatants, and the RU army which only 10% or so of their entire military being female and only a % of that % being in combat roles, it’s very obvious to me that this issue likely never even crossed the designers minds, and if it had, the idea of putting extra work into it would have been rejected on economic issues alone.

The technical aspect is not a total cop-out by IW if you think about it. You’re talking about 5-10 new character models (multiple variations for each team), new animations, voice samples, textures, etc. That’s a LOT of extra work (for development as well as processing power in-game). A lot of work, especially considering, as this author exemplifies, you’re not going to impress or assuage the people that have been evangelizing the issue.

Everything in the game needs to fit on 512Mb of RAM up until next gen. Sounds, animations, textures, every single weapon, gadget, kill streak, vehicles, the world, the objects that are in the world and it all needs to run at 60FPS. With no character customization to speak of, it just doesn’t make sense to devote the effort to cram even more stuff in.

It’s kind of a damned if you do, damned if you don’t position. You either ignore the problem and get accused of being knuckle dragging, sexist, tone deaf reprobates, or you give in and you’re accused of either pandering for good will or being unwillingly forced to capitulate.

Any of the WWII based games – no female combatants makes sense.

Black Ops, Vietnam era – no female combatants makes sense.

Modern Warfare 1, 2 and 3 – US side no female combatants makes sense, and RU side as I said before females only represent 10% of the RU military and only a % of that as ground combatants.

Now that they are putting in a full character customization system where you really can create and identify with your actual in-game persona it makes all the sense in the world to have female characters and good on them for putting the effort in to make it work on current-gen consoles.

#45 8 months ago
  46. silkvg247

@43 Shhh this isn’t the place for actual facts! ;) Great articles btw, wish people would take the time to read them.

@Catherine – I don’t really think we should be complaining at all now that somebody has finally taken the time and effort to include us. Sadly, given our treatment by pretty much all other PC shooters, we should probably be grateful to be included in at least one of the big ones. TF2 won’t happen, the excuses are laughable on that one too, and BF? Maybe one day, but only in response to this (which is why it’s a good thing, hoping for a domino effect).

#46 8 months ago
  47. Sylrissa

Planetside 2, Natural selection 2.

#47 8 months ago
  48. Fin

“Prior to Ghosts, using texture budget for female avatars would have compelled all to play as women for some classes, which really doesn’t make demographic/business sense.”

God you’ve no idea how games are made do you?

“The absence of female soldiers in CoD and BF games has nothing to do with games being designed for “white heterosexual males between the ages of 19-35.”

Occam’s razor bro.

“If you look at the games in the series it makes sense that there were previously no female combatants in most of them since they were striving for, not realism, but a degree of authenticity.”

/eyeroll

Yeah because Russia launching a massive sneak attack (MW2) is totally authentic.
    Don’t even try to say they were trying to make MP authentic.

#48 8 months ago
  49. Erthazus

“Is there any other game which has female playable character in multiplayer?
    A shooter I mean?”

Unreal tournament games, Planetside 2, firefall, Gears Of war 3, Natural selection 2.

there are A LOT.

#49 8 months ago
  50. Faceless

Yet another article that proves that the feminist movement within the gaming industry consists of individuals (regardless of gender) who are simply impossible to please. They will rationalise and wrongly interpret every attempt to please them as condescending and/or insufficient.

The same website that produces an incoherent ramble of an article about how gamers shouldn’t feel entitled about Dante’s change of hair, is the same website that then publishes an article wherein the writer childishly complains the developers took too long to please them.

That is an extraordinarily self-entitled and toxic attitude. It’s nothing to do with equality. You’ve been given equality, and yet you choose to nitpick. That is where demand for equality ends and demand for favouritism begins. Never mind the fact that the presence or absence of either gender should never influence your decision to play a game – that’s insane.

Eventually, developers will grow weary of your bipolar bollocks and simply stop including female characters altogether to avoid articles like these.

#50 8 months ago
  51. Ireland Michael

@50 Those articles were written by different people, far as I recall.

There’s no “bipolar bollocks”. Different gaming groups are going to have different opinions. You know the old saying. “You can please some people some of the time, but you can’t please all people all of the time,”

There’s nothing wrong with being critical, to a point. It’s how you gain developed opinions.

#51 8 months ago
  52. hives

I guess we have to wait till 2014 for next-gen modern military shooters. BF4 looks like DLC for BF3, Ghosts looks like Blops 2 with some additions :P

Unless someone played BF3 on console and want to play BF4 on next-gen, that’s quite a leap I guess.

Multi in this CoD looks fun, but… It’s just the same. Maybe some time later I’ll want to try it, but definitely not at launch.

#52 8 months ago
  53. Faceless

@51 Different writers, same website. Integrity arguably matters more in journalism than almost anywhere else. It’s not just a fancy PR word.

And there’s nothing wrong being critical, no. ‘To a point’ is what I was arguing, something you may have missed while rushing to quote profanity, instead. Being critical for the sake of being critical is juvenile and little else.

#53 8 months ago
  54. kylenjess

I’m not sure where this guy gets his information about female soldiers in combat. He is so totally wrong. We may not be allowed to have MOS’s like Infantry or Tanker but that doesn’t mean we don’t go into combat. The most closely related MOS for 1st line combat females is an MP (Military Police). Women also serve as truck drivers, which is another constantly overrun situation. What about woman pilots? If choppers go down, the pilot has to get thru wherever they are and get somewhere safe. There are also specialized Military Intel MOS’s that women are allowed to have and they do include going into town, capturing people and interrogating them. I think it was stupid of him to say that women aren’t in combat like men are. You just don’t hear about it as often, that doesn’t mean it doesn’t happen.

#54 7 months ago