UPDATE: Microsoft has “exciting news” to share at Gamescom

Tuesday, 13th August 2013 19:18 GMT By Phil Owen

UPDATE: Phil Spencer said on Major Nelson’s podcast that they will have a “unique exclusive” for Xbox One at Gamescom, and also said they’ll have something to say about “Europe’s biggest franchise.” I’m not speculating.

Microsoft will be at Gamescom in force to showcase the Xbox One, with Phil Spencer delivering the keynote address and the company holding a pre-Gamescom event on Tuesday. We’ve heard before that they would be announcing a new title for the next-gen system, but now Microsoft has issued a statement to Gamespot declaring they will have “exciting news” to present. You’ll be able to judge for yourself just how exciting it is, because there will be livestreams of everything.

1. monkeygourmet

Well, it’s better than shitty news…

Subscription based model for Xbone?

#1 12 months ago
  2. Aullah

Kinectless xbone.

#2 12 months ago
  3. Doppleganger

But todays Tuesday… Give dates at least.

#3 12 months ago
  4. Ireland Michael

They’re releasing a Kinectless models.

I kid, I kid.

#4 12 months ago
  5. MCTJim

I hope its the return of Family Sharing :D

#5 12 months ago
  6. drewbles82

they quit?

#6 12 months ago
  7. Erthabutt

What kind of news are we seeing here lately jesus christ? Doppleganger is right, if you want to report on a news, report it completely or not at all.
    Seriously.

Tuesday, August 20 is the date.

#7 12 months ago
  8. fearmonkey

Exciting would be – $399 and no kinect.

#8 12 months ago
  9. MCTJim

399 with Kinect :D

that would free up the $100 and I could get two games extra

#9 12 months ago
  10. OlderGamer

I would love a kinecktless sku lol.

#10 12 months ago
  11. TonyRomo

“You’ll be able to judge for yourself just how exciting it is, because there will be livestreams of everything.”

Well yeah, but….ehm…no? “Microsoft won’t live stream their GamesCom 2013 media briefing next week as per the details revealed by Microsoft Studios boss Phil Spencer in a recent Major Nelson podcast.”

#11 12 months ago
  12. sebastien rivas

Haaaa I am excited just to hear how MS is excited to present us the next gen console!
    And I am serious!

#12 12 months ago
  13. Ireland Michael

I get the impression that the reveal of the “new” Xbox Live Rewards might be a part of thing, I keep getting the nagging feeling they’re going to start morphing Xbox Live into more of a PlayStation Plus experience.

It’s going to have to be big, whatever it is. This is their chance to gain back a bit of much needed momentum… which the console sorely needs.

#13 12 months ago
  14. sebastien rivas

@ 13

In your opinion and experience. What if MS does transform itself into PS4 live and/or PS4 transforms itself into Xbox live?

In other words what are PS4 live experience you disagree with that are better in Xbox live… vice and versa.

I do not own a Ps3 or Xbox 360 and I am interrested to know.

#14 12 months ago
  15. monkeygourmet

Really?

I feel the Xbone, although backtracking, has been gathering much more attention and lime light.

Sony needs to step up IMO.

All I heard at announce was: ‘PS4 is more powerful and easy to program for’. In reality, I’ve yet to see it best Xbone graphically, and devs have been struggling a little from reports on Watchdogs etc…

Also, Sony were supposed to be way ahead of MS in development, it seems ass backwards too me…

#15 12 months ago
  16. Ireland Michael

@14, 15 Competition forces companies to do better and try harder.

When someone steals such a huge portion of the market, its your aim to try and give the consumer the best value for money possible. The more you give, the more you offer, and at a more competitive price, the more chance you have of “winning”.

Consumers have been extremely negative towards the Xbox One, far more than the PS4 from my personal experience. I think they need to win consumer trust back. Why do you think they’ve been backtracking on everything? They’re trying to win people back.

It’s not about the hardware specs – the average consumer doesn’t give flying fuck about those. But the negativity towards Microsoft was so bad that it even spilled over into the casual (not heavy gamers) market. Everyone I knew was talking about it.

#16 12 months ago
  17. Tech-N9ne

349$/349€ with Kinect.

Remember who called it first. ;)

#17 12 months ago
  18. monkeygourmet

But in turn, the average joe wouldn’t understand DRM and Stuff like that either?

Those changes were for avid gamers IMO.

#18 12 months ago
  19. MCTJim

#19 12 months ago
  20. sebastien rivas

@ 16

I am all up for it and it looks like Microsoft is going to win the public’s heart back or at least me after this exciting news is revealed (for a start).

My question was more ported toward differences between Ps3 live/Xbox360 live.

@ 15 It is a wait and see situation, Sony cannot make decisions based on MS PR. Too many mistakes could be involved if you try to catch onto a train that does not yet exists but only on sole rumors, cryptic, and fractionned said sentences.

Beside, let’s be honest how can one says its machine can develop game more easily against competition when competition (as far as I know) does not have Dev kit at hand or only showed glimpses of what the finale could be and also while no real demo of its finalised console is.

#20 12 months ago
  21. Ireland Michael

@18 You’d be surprised.

This is purely anecdotal, but I had people I know in person who never even talked about video games coming to me and asking me all about crazy Microsoft’s DRM drama. Everyone knew about it. Based on some sources it seems like it has affected consumers interest in the hardware. Even now, the negativity toward the console is still.

I don’t have a side in the argument, I’m console neutral, but I do think they need to win a lot consumer interest and trust back. Most of the changes they’ve made had been positive.

#21 12 months ago
  22. G1GAHURTZ

Ooh, yippee!

How exciting!

#22 12 months ago
  23. monkeygourmet

That’s true, I also heard a few people mentioning it. Still, I’ve been nothing but happy with the changes, still think MS came over as assholes at the initial ‘TV TV TV’ launch.

#23 12 months ago
  24. _LarZen_

#21 Most people I have talked to that is X360 gamers either don’t know about all the mess MS started and the people that knew did not care and was getting a new Xbox regardless.

Personally I think MS have done a hell of a job turning the ship around and doing what the costumers want. But they should have some cards up their sleeves because there is no doubt Sony has.

And regarding Sony I think it’s been to quiet from them a while now. They should teas us more and keep the buzz up…

#24 12 months ago
  25. sebastien rivas

@ 21 and @ 23

I agree and am still open before purchase. Since Microsoft got me excited with this article, then I hold great hopes but I must say this may be the last attempt to remain neutral while defending consumers’ rights and privacy.
    After that, my wallet will slice the choice much like an axe thrown onto melted butter.

#25 12 months ago
  26. pcbros

Kinectless models would be like Microsoft saying, “We don’t really believe in the Kinect”. Sony made that mistake and now the PS Camera is doomed.

How many great Kinect or PS Move games came out this generation? Exactly.

#26 12 months ago
  27. sebastien rivas

Microsoft kinect “dilema” can be interpreted into a multitude of reasonning.
    As consumer I know that xbox1 does not ship with kinect may be cheaper but then adding the kinect will make the overall more expensive.
    Yet, I do not want 1 to start with. Beside for Just Dance franchise I truly do not feel its necessity even for online gaming and I would not like someone else to look at me on my coach while playing a FPS or anything of that sort.

Now what I hope is for MS to keep 2 methods, 1 xbox1 w/out kinect and second method xbox1 with kinect at price already stated.
    That way, everybody on earth is happy.

Choice to the gamers so power to the gamers.

#27 12 months ago
  28. Joe Musashi

@19 If you’re addressing “naysayers of Kinect” by talking about changes other than Kinect, why would you expect any different response?

You’re not changing the key thing that those people are taking issue with.

JM

#28 12 months ago
  29. Kreion

If you want choice, go buy a gaming PC. Consoles are not about choice, they are about being given a machine with certain capabilities and knowing that games will be optimized for that platform. I don’t want this to be a PC vs consoles argument so I’ll say now that I have and enjoy both.

As for your arguments, you have a point…kinda. Your point only stands if there is no conceivable application for the Kinect 2.0 in core games, and we don’t know if that’s the case or not. If it has functions like heart-rate monitoring, imagine how much more immersive horror games could be? We won’t know how well these functions can be used if the Kinect is not always sold with the console, because a fragmented userbase helps no-one. Core games developers won’t try and see what they can do with the device if they don’t think enough people will have one, but now: everyone will have one.

Before you completely disparage a peripheral, consider the new functions and actually try to think of how they could be used. Instead of assuming Kinect 2.0 will be a repeat of the first iteration.

But MS won’t sell the system cheaper right now (with the Kinect ofc) because it’ll likely mean too big of a loss. Everyone would be happy if the PS4 and X1 were selling for £1 on launch, ever wonder why they don’t?

With that said…I’m not overly excited for this. I like the X1 as it is right now, I was fine with it when it was 24 hour check in ( I don’t live in the middle of nowhere) and I’m a little worried MS might change what I like about the system…I just don’t know. As much as I don’t think a company should be hated for changing their minds, it does make me a little uneasy I have to say :)

#29 12 months ago
  30. zoopdeloop

anyone who believes that all of Microsoft’s backtracking comes directly from consumers negative feedback is delusional.As long as they had full support from developers/publishers and exclusivity deals they wouldn’t give a fuck what consumers think since they knew they eventually play along.
    Publishers were obviously turned a bit away seeing all this and Microsoft rushed to win them back first and foremost.

Anyhow Microsoft is like a clown nowadays.trying their best to amuse us
    What happened to their supposedly moving the industry forward,evolving the instustry and so on?If that was their goal they wouldn’t backtrack.They would support their vision.After all Microsoft is financially above many.A few loses wouldn’t hurt them for the “better good” of the industry.In the longrun they would have gained much more.
    so the question is.Did they really wanted to move the industry forward or plainly rip off consumers?

#30 12 months ago
  31. OmegaSlayer

Sony is silent because if they reveal something Microsoft will do another 180 to keep their track.

Come on, Spencer even copied Sony’s catchphrase for Gamescon

#31 12 months ago
  32. MCTJim

@28 I dont understand what you mean..if it was 399 with Kinect what would be the big deal then between the two systems? It seems the only sticking point is price at this point in time..So I asked for those who dont want Kinect at its current price would 399 with kinect still in the box make a difference?

#32 12 months ago
  33. Lengendaryboss

“who dont want Kinect” Thats where you should have stopped to answer your question and his response.

#33 12 months ago
  34. sebastien rivas

In my opinion as a buyer I don’t know.
    I would be glad MS aligns with Sony pricing and that would be the first pourachse option but then after the kinect would face a mirror but I don’t see the use and I really do not see the need for my experience in games so in some ways it would be like a sword of Damocles because I don;t see the use for it then MS could be cheaper than Sony and w/out Kinect.
    But that is being truthful with you because all I see kinect good for is for Just Dance franchises. I do not want anyone else in online games to see what I am doing on my coach.

#34 12 months ago
  35. Joe Musashi

@32 If someone doesn’t want Kinect forced into a bundle – for whatever reason – forcing it into a differently priced/specced bundle doesn’t change anything does it?

You appear to be having difficulty seeing around this particular tree.

“It seems the only sticking point is price at this point in time”

Not to many “naysayers”. Redundancy is the concern of many, for example. Either way, if you force it into a bundle, whatever you charge for the bundle – some of that is going towards the cost of the unwanted item. The practical perception is that the cost could always be reduced by removing the unwanted item. That’s what people will perceive – right there, in the first glance when they’re looking at the box on the shelf. That’s a poor message to broadcast to your potential customer.

JM

#35 12 months ago
  36. Madlink

I haven’t heard anything about this ‘exciting news’ but I did hear today that the unannounced game is Fable. This was from a pretty reliable source too (they’re directly involved in the promotion of the game).

They confirmed that the game has been ‘re-imagined’, so take from that what you will…

Fingers crossed the ‘exciting news’ is a pre-release price drop.

#36 12 months ago
  37. MCTJim

@35 so its just the Kinect..thank you.

#37 12 months ago
  38. sebastien rivas

You know guys and “gals” ;)

something I don’t understand is this console war in first place.
    I cannot spend that much money to afford two consoles at same time but it does mean I would not like to afford 2 consoles.
    Although I quickly loose interest for a console ( in a matter of months and up to a single year) I do not purchase meaning that I prefer to wait for next generation, much like for ps3 and Xbox 360 that I could not afford at that time and opening then I rebuked myself to PC while affording a wii for my kiddo.
    I assume I am part of the mass regarding buying next gen and I must not fall that far off regarding excitement if I don’t own it in first several months. Everybody could say look at the 1st party games being bevelopped, sure it is appealing but not as much as being part of the hype while thinking/dreaming of games that I am about to pre-order.

It’s my wallet fault, not me hehehehe :)

#38 12 months ago
  39. Joe Musashi

@35 You brought it up with your phrase “Naysayers of Kinect”. That’s what made Kinect the focus of my reply.

People’s negativity towards Xbox One may be more than “just the Kinect”. But if you ask a question solely focused on that one detail, then responses will be governed by it.

Either way, if people have an issue with an aspect of something and your ‘solution’ is to alter things other than those that people take issue with – you’re not addressing their concerns are you? If anything, it makes you look as though you’ve not listened to those concerns in the first place.

I can’t help but get the impression you’re trying to pigeon-hole a larger concern (the array of consumer criticism towards the Xbox One) into something that could be more easily dismissed as something smaller (Kinect / cost).

JM

#39 12 months ago
  40. Major Mayhem 70

Bringing back Family Sharing would be welcomed news for sure.

#40 12 months ago
  41. MCTJim

@39 and you answered my question in your last reply which is what I wanted in the first place. If they match the PS4′s price, which would be nice indeed, would it still matter if Kinect is in the box. The short answer is yes it would because people dont really care about the price it seems..more so its the Kinect.

I am not looking at starting crap/wars/nonsense, I was curious at why the Kinect is such a sticking point and wanted to know if it was just price, indeed its not price its the Kinect. All I wanted to do was understand why and your answer provided us with feedback that no matter the cut in price you still dont want the Kinect. I personally think that if the price was the same, there would be added value in choosing which console you would purchase. But alas, its just the added peripheral thats in the box.

#41 12 months ago
  42. Joe Musashi

@41 “..because people dont really care about the price it seems..more so its the Kinect.

Thats true of the specific people you chose to address – “Naysayers of Kinect”

If you asked a different bunch of people – let’s called them “Naysayers of the cost of the Xbox One” and asked them questions about what should be taken out of the bundle – and never addressed their concern (the price) then you’d get the same type of disaffected feedback.

Asking any group defined by their concerns (as you chose to do) and then offering changes that don’t address those concerns is never going to have a meaningful positive impact.

The issue here is that you created your own answer by the phrasing of your question. The issue isn’t ‘just Kinect’ or ‘just the price’ or ‘just the shape of the box’ or ‘just the fact it has an X in its name’. It could be all of those things.

But if you question only a subset of those concerns you’ll only ever get feedback on that subset. It would be a mistake to take that narrowly canvassed feedback and extrapolate it – which is what you appear to be doing.

To use your sort of analogy: you’ve asked about one particular tree and are applying the answer to the entire forest.

You’re also taking my hypothetical feedback to your question and mistaking it as my personal opinion. That’s another mis-step you should be wary of. All in all, I really don’t think you’re paying much attention to any details that don’t fit into your clearly pre-determined conclusions. Which makes me wonder why you’re asking questions in the first place.

JM

#42 12 months ago
  43. MCTJim

No, I see past the single tree and I am in the forest really. But I am addressing the naysayers and why they are naysayers and I now have an answer. If you browse other forums..say ign or gamespot, you get the same answers once you weed out the people that post for the sake of posting. I hope they just match Sony’s price myself and leave the Kinect in the box. I just cannot dismiss the peripheral because people, just some, dont want it.

#43 12 months ago
  44. therealjdj

Free game with every system!

#44 12 months ago
  45. Joe Musashi

@43 No. By your own words it’s evident you don’t see.

You originally asked a question to “Naysayers of Kinect

You’re now saying that the feedback is from “Naysayers”

You’re now also claiming you’re asking them “why they are naysayers” which is not the same question that you originally presented in #19 when you were addressing “Naysayers of Kinect”.

You’re extrapolating. Not only that, you’re extrapolating and changing the question once you’ve had some feedback. You’re guaranteed to draw skewed analysis with such methods.

This is how disjointed your thinking is:

I said:

You responded:
    No, I see past the single tree and I am in the forest really.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

JM

#45 12 months ago
  46. marijnlems

“Europe’s biggest franchise”? Isn’t that FIFA?

#46 12 months ago
  47. MCTJim

thats my original question ..so where did i skew the results, I am not seeing it really.

And you are a naysayer of Kinect? or price?

#47 12 months ago
  48. salarta

“Good news everyone! We’re bringing back our DRM policies, and YOU get to tell everyone all about it! Incidentally, this year Gamescom is expanding its territory into a video game AND a sharp objects convention.”

#48 12 months ago
  49. beast313

@41 Who is the “us” that feedback is being provided to? Do you mean for Microsoft.

#49 12 months ago
  50. MCTJim

@49 Typo..sry..trying to do this on my phone

#50 12 months ago
  51. OlderGamer

“I will ask this of all the naysayers of the Kinect..If it was $399 with Kinect would that change your minds about having the Kinect in the box?

And you are a naysayer of Kinect? or price?”

Myself, I don’t want Kinect. I don’t use the one I have, it sits in a box on my shelf. I don’t like NSA and Prism either. And I REALLY don’t like the idea that I could be in some indirect way supporting that, tho in truth I think resistance is futile.

But my problem with X1 was DRM/Online check ins and Kinect. The price is high, but it will come down. The other issue I have that others don’t seem to address is quality.

I mean to ask…will the jump in game quality and experience be worth the asking price of the hardware? At this point I have doubts. I haven’t seen anything that knocked my socks off(from either PS4 or X1). Hence my wait and see what happens pov.

#51 12 months ago
  52. Sethos

“Europe’s biggest franchise.”

I’m guessing Fifa?

#52 12 months ago
  53. Moonwalker1982

No way they got FIFA exclusive, as if EA would do that to such a huge franchise. But i do wonder what it could be.

#53 12 months ago
  54. Gheritt White

Exclusive content for FIFA; and probs a Fable announcement.

#54 12 months ago
  55. MCTJim

@51-54 I see more of a price match with Kinect more than anything. I agree that FIFA as an exclusive is not something EA would allow to happen.

#55 12 months ago
  56. noamlol2

“Europe’s biggest franchise”

well in their eyes

in my true european eyes only the witcher is the best franchise

but those guys said biggest so i’m guessing it’s fifa

#56 12 months ago
  57. Joe Musashi

Regarding FIFA: If it is FIFA related it won’t be outright exclusivity. There may be something in it for EA but what would be in it for FIFA? They’d lose huge amounts of money by keeping that product off of other platforms.

I’m pretty sure that EA already mentioned an ‘exclusive mode’ or something equally nebulous with respect to Xbox One at E3.

MCTJim: I’ve outlined it repeatedly in black and white but you still say you can’t see what goalposts (and teams!) you’re fond of moving. I think you’re focussing on the answer you want to hear and adapting the question to suit. Whatever your motives, your execution is flawed.

JM

#57 12 months ago
  58. backup

Ms exciting news all PC gamers are pirates,terriost,hackers….
    Xbot kinect games
    more kinect games
    more kinect games
    and more kinect games

#58 12 months ago
  59. monkeygourmet

Nice try but,

How many times can you be wrong?

PC games can’t be pirated because of CODEWHEEL:

Unlike, Geohot mod for Copy Station 3. Everyone knows Sony asked Acti to put in the ‘No Russian’ level into Modern Warfare 2 at the same time as Geohot backdoor PS3 copy mod so pirates could play the Sony terrorist training level:

All on Sony machines, thanks for all the terrorism. And they removed Linux so it makes it easier to pirate bay on Pirate Baystation 3 with removable hard drives and USB for adding keyboard and mouse for easy torrenting of Jersey Shore.

Fail again, Pirate Station fanboy terrorists.

#59 12 months ago
  60. backup

u mean MW2 most pirated games through PC

because torrents not on PS3

u have been owned

#60 12 months ago
  61. Djoenz

Nice terms for my beloved playstation. -__-

#61 12 months ago
  62. monkeygourmet

It was Sony that leaked the torrents! Learn to internet…

They are the only company that can bypass:

Then, Sony hacker not even content with ruining it for other players, they make this:

Pirate Bay Station 3 Aimbot, can’t even stop cheating on a pirated game…

#62 12 months ago
  63. backup

u r noob
    torrents only on PC not on PS3
    u failed again

#63 12 months ago
  64. Lv01

the ‘europes biggest franchise’ thing is bound to be FIFA, but theyve already said at E3 that it will be regarding ultimate team. so this isnt news…
    all they will be telling us is what extent of FUT is ‘exclusive’ to xbox one. FUT will still be on other platforms, im sure, but some part of it will be exclusive to x1.

#64 12 months ago
  65. Eregol

I notice it hasn’t been specified that this biggest franchise is gaming related?
    Could be the long rumoured sub based TV and box deal. Maybe a tie in with Sky, who are arguably a big franchise in Europe.

#65 12 months ago
  66. Professor Zoom

I bet it’s Left 4 Dead 3 in addition with some exclusive deals for Fifa 2014.

#66 11 months ago
  67. Christopher Jack

An exclusive dream team in Fifa for Xbone players. Oddly just after they axed launch support for so many European countries.

#67 11 months ago
  68. Vijay50

somebody says torrents are only for PC and not for PS3. Please visit any eye hospital nearby as soon as possible. How innocent!

torrents are available for PC/PS/XBOX/WII/ANDROID/IOS and so on.
    Learn to google some information before making a comment.

#68 11 months ago