PS4 UK stock withheld to meet launch demand – report

Thursday, 8th August 2013 10:18 GMT By Dave Cook

Sony is said to be holding back PS4 stock following a halt on pre-orders to meet launch day demand, a new report has suggested.

Yesterday we reported that Sony has told European retailers to stop taking PS4 pre-orders, which sparked concerns over stock levels. It now seems that this measure is to pre-empt launch day shortages and to ensure Sony still has consoles left on shelves on day-one.

MCV reports that Sony has done this to make sure there are still consoles available in-store at launch. The site has quoted one unnamed source as saying Sony, “doesn’t want consumers who couldn’t buy PS4 to buy Xbox One instead”.

One senior retail exec is said to have told the site that PS4 orders are going strong, and added, “It’s a sign that we are at the start of a huge period for games – one unlike we’ve seen before with two consoles of this scale coming at the same time.”

When asked for comment on the matter, a Sony spokesperson replied, “Sony Computer Entertainment Europe does not comment on production and we have no further information to share at this time on our release strategy for PlayStation 4 which is scheduled for launch this holiday season.”

The site added that some retails sources have suggested that Microsoft could halt Xbox One pre-orders in a similar fashion soon, and that pre-orders for the console are ‘in-line’ with PS4. We’re yet to see actual stats on the volume of UK pre-orders for either side however.

What do you make of the above?

1. Bashtee

I don’t think that the xbox one preorders are on par with the ps4, not even close. This doesn’t mean anything as we saw with the Wii U, but I believe the ps4 might become the wii of next gen in sold units.

#1 1 year ago
  2. illuminatusv

@1: You know, this is a move for those that will not preordering but instead want to buy a console maybe as a gift from a retailer. Sony has fears if such people only seeing XBox Ones on the shelves they will buy them because they cannot wait because they need it then (as a gift). Has nothing to do with the amount of the preorders. In my opinion the battle will be important at retailers because there the PS4 has the price advantage when both consoles are side by side. Normal customers decide on price not on any specs. And besides on all that silly speculation on specs and which console has more power that is the real advantage the PS4 has against the XBox One.

#2 1 year ago
  3. Belazur

Both consoles neck on neck? XboxOne?
    Yeah…. not really!

#3 1 year ago
  4. Dave Cook

@3 Have you seen the figures? MCV’s sources supposedly have.

#4 1 year ago
  5. Rockin a Jack D

PR bullshit along with everything else concerning the PS4/X1.

#5 1 year ago
  6. DrDamn

@Dave
    neck-in-neck?
    neck-on-neck?

Neck and neck maybe? Though the wording in the MCV article was X1 pre-orders are “in-line” with PS4 pre-orders which means something slightly different to me.

#6 1 year ago
  7. Joe Musashi

@4 There are actual hard figures to go with this latest ‘unprecdented demand’ statement? Until they’re shared it remains hard to see these statements as little more than vacuous PR.

JM

#7 1 year ago
  8. DrDamn

@Dave
    Thanks for updating the article – you see how easily this was picked up by GAF? :)

#8 1 year ago
  9. Dave Cook

@8 I do indeed. We’re human after all, and I only ever want to give the best reports I can :)

#9 1 year ago
  10. Goffee

So, on the (presumably) same month these two launch, and the U.K. GDP and store sales rocket, will the games industry be thanked for driving the country away from recession?

Or will there be a stream of “Xbox street mugging,” “PS4 killed my budgie (the new peril of HD 60fps gaming)” and “eBay rip-off (I got an Xbox box)” stories in the papers?

#10 1 year ago
  11. Dave Cook

@10 Oh god yeah I never thought about eBay. I bet folk will try flogging both consoles for crazy money post-launch.

#11 1 year ago
  12. viralshag

@11, Let’s hope so! Bring on the desperate, more money than sense, silly people that didn’t pre-order!

CH-CHING! (Hopefully)

#12 1 year ago
  13. monkeygourmet

I didn’t pre-order!!!! :/

Mind you, I have an un-canny knack of walking into a store on launch day and managing to pick up a console.

I managed to get 2 Wii’s that way (one for a friend).

Im hoping on doing the same with PS4.

#13 1 year ago
  14. Abberjam

@Dave
    Your last paragraph is slightly misleading I thought. It reads as though other “sources” told the original author that the Xbox pre-orders are “in line” with PS4. He actually made no such statement. The only actual quote that he gave in his article was that both consoles’ preorders are “fantastic” which still leaves a fair amount of room for disparity between the figures. The term “in line” was completely his own interpretation of the situation.

#14 1 year ago
  15. Dave Cook

The MCV piece reads:

“Stores told MCV that pre-order numbers for Xbox One have been “fantastic” and in-line with PS4.”

So store sources have told MCV that the pre-orders are in-line with PS4. That’s what they’re saying.

Speaking sincerely, how is this misleading? If I’ve messed up here and I’ve missed the point, please do let me know and I’ll do my best to rectify.

Thanks,

#15 1 year ago
  16. Goffee

#11 Ignoring the insane prices real ones will get, also wonder how many folks will try and flog their original first Xbox console as an Xbox-1?

#16 1 year ago
  17. viralshag

@MG, If you really can’t get one and you need a PS4 on launch, hit me up on Steam and I’ll sort you out. I’m very sure I will be keeping the X1 over the PS4.

And obviously you’ll get it at the price I paid!

#17 1 year ago
  18. MCTJim

ebay is gonna be full of PS4′s for those that didnt get one during the initial buying period. To be honest, I see it on both sides..gonna be shortages of both consoles and ebayers are gonna cash in for the upcoming holiday season.

#18 1 year ago
  19. monkeygourmet

That would be awesome, thanks Viral. :)

My girlfriend is going back to th PS4 after the Xbone Kinect stuff, so that could be really helpful.

I still a little on the fence with Ps4 and especially Xbox, we’ll see how things pan out in the next couple of months.

#19 1 year ago