Xbox One game “DVR” features available to Xbox Live Gold members only

Wednesday, 7th August 2013 17:45 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

Xbox One users who which to use the console’s new game DVR feature will need to have an Xbox Live Gold Account.

While expected and not really earth shattering news, the news was confirmed today to One Hit Pixel by a Microsoft spokesperson.

The DVR system in the console captures five minutes of gameplay which can be shared with friends online.

Microsoft also noted that its OneGuide feature, which outlines what’s on TV and trending in the Xbox Live community, will also be limited to Gold members.

More Gold only features are outlined by Microsoft here.

Xbox One is launching this fall.

Thanks, NeoGAF.

1. lookingglass

Who owns an Xbox without a Gold membership?

Oh wait, I forgot all the Xbox whining. Apparently there are BILLIONS of hardcore gamers with no Internet and no money who play alone in cabins powered via gasoline generators.

#1 12 months ago
  2. Rockin a Jack D

Gamers actually thought this was free?

#2 12 months ago
  3. Belmont

*the tone daniel craig said it in Skyfall*

Good question !

#3 12 months ago
  4. N7Caboose

Now waiting to hear Sony say that their DVR service is free to everyone……

#4 12 months ago
  5. SlayerGT

So it IS a cloud only feature.

#5 12 months ago
  6. Belmont

So we can have the same feelings we had before U-turn from Micro, good old days !

EDIT: You need plus for MP and this will be part of plus.

#6 12 months ago
  7. Robbins

#7 12 months ago
  8. sebastien rivas

I am one of these people.
    I like multiplayer games, do not get me wrong but I prefer to play solo offline if there is a story to the game I play.

And yes Xbox live is Expensive as much as Sony … how is it called…I do not know… anyway.

I am glad millions of people see the value versus cost fair or better and continue to support this system.

That does not mean I will never buy a sub for either platform but I think twice before jumping in and see if its value to my eyes hold true or not.

Though I am not in a cabine, I am in a cave powered by bats spinning the wheel hehehe, it’s more ecolo… :)

#8 12 months ago
  9. MCTJim

@1 LOL..so true

@4 I am waiting for the 1 upmanship

This really is not a surprise. I would have never expected this to be available for silver membership..since, if you want to share with your friends online..you need Gold membership to be ONLINE.

#9 12 months ago
  10. monkeygourmet

You should become a world famous Trance DJ, you have the perfect name for it! :D

#10 12 months ago
  11. Lengendaryboss

@1/9
    False look up Xbox360 systems sold and Xbox Live accounts:

46 million members have signed up for Xbox Live and 77.2 million sold: So a good amount of millions offline.

So please stop speaking out of your ass.

#11 12 months ago
  12. FuntimeBen

SONY has already confirmed that game recording is not behind the paywall of PS+ — as PS+ ONLY effects multiplayer access. And it makes sense. The more people who put clips of their PS4 games online, the better advertising it is for SONY.

For all the positive moves Microsoft make, there are these glaring reminders that nothing has changed in their fundamental operations. I’m glad to be finally leaving Microsoft’s ecosystem for SONYs. No hate to the Xbox One folks, I’ve just had enough of Microsoft.

#12 12 months ago
  13. Phoenixblight

@4 and @9

Sony said long time ago it wasn’t behind a paywall so MS just did a 1 downmanship. :P

#13 12 months ago
  14. actuallyisnotafox

cant something that good just not require xbox live gold i mean atleast give the guys who bought your console something -.-

#14 12 months ago
  15. sebastien rivas

As gamers and consoles users, do you guys feel there is a sense of milking the console users through what I can see as multiple internet access options in Xbox live.
    I heard silver, and gold so far. When is diamond and then platinum coming up and with what functions?
    Is “per functionality” relevant to price point knowing that no matter what the console is plugged in and logged into the cloud;therefore transmitting data regardless of what functionality you use (e.g: DVR, or watching TV, or Netflix, or multiplayer games?)

Btw same question goes toward Sony users if they have a same system as Microsoft does….

Sounds like a list of capabilities for each Xbox1 qnd Ps4 per internet access price point need to be elevated ;)

#15 12 months ago
  16. Lengendaryboss

But, but, but the benefits of getting your monies worth ;)

#16 12 months ago
  17. DrDamn

@1 & @9
    /raises hand
    Got told by a useful email from MS that I’d played a grand total of something under 10 hours online over the last year so let the renewal slip. Had been a gold member for 5 years+. I’m now Silver and I can download arcade games, see online leaderboards, send messages etc. So that makes me online still doesn’t it?

I would guess a difference between the two services which might justify some cost is that Sony have said they allow upload to Facebook and other social networks. I presume MS are hosting themselves in the cloud and that for me would give them better options for integration maybe.

#17 12 months ago
  18. TF_PtMaster

@11 i want do complete your post, 46 millions GOLD and SILVER have signed for Xbox Live. Yes because Silver members can still connect to Xbox Live, buy games, download demos, have a friends lists and they can even send messages to them. How many of you get messages from silver friends asking for 24, 48 hours Xbox Live codes? You can’t play online and join conversations, but if you have the console connected to the internet you are a member of Xbox Live Community.

You are one or two in these 46 millions, yes because you can have more than one account. I have friends with Japanese, Uk, American accounts.

Microsoft never told how many of those 46 millions are gold.

We can’t even know how many of those 46 millions accounts are connect to Xbox Live. Because you can use Xbox 360 without a internet connection.

#18 12 months ago
  19. OlderGamer

“46 million members have signed up for Xbox Live and 77.2 million sold: So a good amount of millions offline”

Or…the difference in system numbers = replacement systems people had to buy! Bada bing bada boom!

#19 12 months ago
  20. Lengendaryboss

@OlderGamer
    LOL :) :D

#20 12 months ago
  21. sebastien rivas

Still 46 millions members all combined betwen silver and gold multiplied by average cost between silver and gold.. I let you check the numbers according for a 5 years average in plan then per year.
    Numbers must be skyrocketting

Why did I not make Microsoft…. why….. ;)

#21 12 months ago
  22. Kreion

@19/20
    Ah dragging up an age old argument are we? Good to see idiots haven’t changed.

#22 12 months ago
  23. JB

#23 12 months ago
  24. seanpr92

should be free hardly takes a powerful pc to render while in game its pretty true ms will suck its consumers drie and only records 5 mins at 30fps at 720p and only on games that support games like BF4 arent supporting it as they want constant 60FPS

#24 12 months ago
  25. DrDamn

@seanpr92
    Both PS4 and X1 have dedicated chips to handle this stuff and 60fps output to the screen has no affect on the output of the saved video. BF4 will support it, everything will. It’s an OS feature.

#25 12 months ago
  26. laughing-gravy

Sony have already stated that sharing screenshots/videos won’t require a PS+ sub.

#26 12 months ago
  27. sebastien rivas

@ 23
    so what’s why all the complaints I hear about kkinect and interpretation about spying is all about? because it is mendatory?

You bring a point that needs to be emphasized when you state “If Microsoft cared about the discrepancy between Xbox Live users Vs. number of Xbox 360`s sold they wouldn`t have made Kinect mandatory.”
    Why kinect being mandatory for xbox 1 has to do with Microsoft choosing to care or not care for Xbox live user discrepencies?
    I am dumb because I dont own 360 nor ps3 but I see kinect as a gaming tool for offline gaming and/or sending a video of yourself playing a game on the cloud, does it have other use that imply the use of silver or better gold only?

#27 12 months ago
  28. deathm00n

@22 There is no arguments, there’s a lot of RROD. Simple as this. Go ask any eletronics repairer if you don’t believe it. I have 3 friends who had bought new consoles thanks to it, and they are the only friends who have a Xbox360, so 100% of people I know who have a X360 had to buy a new one.

@27 I explained to you the fuss about the kinect in this comment section http://www.vg247.com/2013/08/07/ps4-uk-pre-orders-cannot-be-guranteed-after-august-6/comment-page-1/#comment-520954

#28 12 months ago
  29. TF_PtMaster

@22 Actually i think is a valid argument. In the past 5/6 years i had 5 broken Xbox 360. Is true the last two they changed. But i had to bought 3 of them.

#29 12 months ago
  30. bradk825

I don’t really concern myself with whether something is gold-only or not, I don’t have any plans to let my membership expire.

#30 12 months ago
  31. sebastien rivas

@ 28

Yes thanks a bunch and sorry for the juggle between articles, I commented on it and still cannot believe it.

Seriously I cannot believe it, it just goes wayyy too far to not be made up by anti Xbox1 people. I am not Pepsi nor Coca: hence I am free.

In any case, thanks a bunch for your help,
    It is very appreciated ;)

#31 12 months ago
  32. Lengendaryboss

Ah living in ignorance and calls us idiots: i see irony somewhere in that statement.

#32 12 months ago
  33. DreadSabot

been a gold member since Xbox beta and could care less if I hardly play online anymore – same as on my Playstation Plus account. for 5 dollars a month I like the option to play online if i choose and the argument that it cost 1 game is lame. I can spend more on a single bottle of Honey Jack on any week day.

Same theory as paying for a little more cable tv than you use – so what. Are you telling me hardcore gamers care about a couple of dollars. You complainers should be ashamed – unless you are playing on a black and white CRT you paid money for your rig – a could extra bucks for a great service should not kill you..

#33 12 months ago
  34. zinc

^ Yes, but its fast approaching the point where your paying a couple of extra bucks a month for less choice, less content & same service.

Though to be fair, xbox live have more adverts… Thats a benfit of paying a premium, right?

#34 12 months ago
  35. JB

@27 No, it`s just that Microsoft sold roughly 25 million Kinects Vs. 77 million Xbox 360`s. It`s an even bigger discrepancy than the one that exist between Live subs and 360`s.

To me the numbers alone make a good case for not making Kinect mandatory on the Xbox-One. It has nothing to do with the adds-privacy issues with Kinect.

I`ve been a live-Gold customer for a little over 3 years, and only recently got PlayStation Plus, so I don´t see myself as a platform fanboy.

#35 12 months ago
  36. fearmonkey

MS is the most money grubbing bunch around. They keep making me glad I let my gold account expire.

I hate that I cannot use Netflix without a gold account on XBL. I have two Xbox’s, and I cannot play one online while my girlfriend uses the other watching netflix without buying another account. It’s ridiculous.

#36 12 months ago
  37. TF_PtMaster

@36 I don’t agree. If you have two Xbox 360 (i own two to) it makes sense if you use your login details in one of them you need another account to use other console.

But i agree with the Netflix situation, is so, so stupid that we can’t use a paid service without Live Gold.

#37 12 months ago
  38. SplatteredHouse

What the…! It’s acceptable because it’s “expected” (and, while we’re on the subject who determined it to be expected – roll over doggy, play dead?) Are you kidding me!…What? Is it acceptable, somehow, because it’s no more than should be expected from Microsoft.

No. Get on their case. Ask for better, expect better, or be prepared to settle for worse! I could hardly believe it when I read this in the news forum. The sheer nonchalance of the summary was downheartening – it intoned we should expect this crap, if crap standards are where we think the line should be set. Remember?

One of the features that managed to let them struggle and claw towards somewhere approaching a level of parity with the PS4 – and was only revealed well after Sony’s demonstration gained interest – and they’ve stuck it behind a paywall.

#38 12 months ago
  39. illuminatusv

To all the nay-sayers: Do you really believe a company is delivering a service with unlimited cloud space for free? Dream on! Of course they want that you pay for the service.

If DVR is your super feature buy a capture solution for example from elgato. Ah I forgot, you have to pay the capture solution and a big enough harddrive. A little investment of about $200. Nah to expensive. The same as a 3 years subscription of XBox Live ….. But no, it is Microsoft, they are evil….. I don’t pay for features, I want them for free… Aaarrggghhhh.

#39 12 months ago
  40. TF_PtMaster

@39 LOOOOOL

Compare a Elgato to DVR on Xbox 1 is top notch. LOOOL

Why Microsoft needs to charge for everything. Why they don’t let people understand the features. They could easily let Silver users to record 1 minute, with 10 free slots. i think for 500€, 10 minutes of video in the unlimited space of the cloud is enough, and who knows, may help decide if is worth Live Gold.

#40 12 months ago
  41. illuminatusv

@40:
    So they let you pay for it. They say it before they launch the console. So you can decide for yourself: To take it as it is or to purchase another game console that meets your requirements. I have gold anyway so the decision is easy to me! And in addition I have already elgato capture hd too.

#41 12 months ago
  42. MCTJim

@39..I just gave up with explaining stuff like that..most naysayers dont listen, they only heard xbox live gold and off on a tangent they went.

#42 12 months ago
  43. TF_PtMaster

@41 i’ am Xbox live subscriber for almost 7 years, this is not a problem for me to. Yes and i have a HDPVR.

#43 12 months ago
  44. illuminatusv

@43:
    Ok, whats the point for you then?

I can understand that you want the game PVR for free but I also understand MS that they need some fee to maintain the infrastructure.

#44 12 months ago
  45. alib88us10

Wonderful.
    Share a website with you ,
    Believe you will love it.
    We accept any form of payment.

#45 12 months ago
  46. Cobra951

@2: Of course I didn’t think it was free. The system costs $500 US. How is that in any way free? I did expect the DVR to be a feature of the $500 system. I did not expect it to be tied to the $60/year subscription service. One more point for Sony.

#46 12 months ago
  47. Dragon246

Putting everything behind a paywall – the MS way.

Sony must be happy though, all these unpopular MS policies allowed Sony to charge for multiplayer without facing any substantial backlash.

Looks like MS took one for Sony :D

#47 12 months ago
  48. Eregol

Edited for silliness.

#48 12 months ago
  49. Major Mayhem 70

None of this matters. Online gaming will continue to grow for both companies. Key word is “online”. Now obviously if your not online and you feel the need to DVR your games for your own personal viewing. PS4 is the console for you. But for those that are playing “online”, you have a choice if recording your gameplay is your thing.

#49 12 months ago