EverQuest Next has more than 40 classes; five listed

Monday, 5th August 2013 00:59 GMT By Brenna Hillier

EverQuest Next blew up at SoE Live in Las Vegas this weekend, and we’re still sorting through the fallout. Today’s best rubble find is the first five revealed classes.

Massively reports that players start with a choice of eight classes before gaining the ability to multi-class with over 40 options.

Five of the classes have been revealed so far: Rogue, Warrior, Tempest, Blademaster and Wizard.

The playable races are Dwarf, Human, Ogre, Elf, Dark Elf and Kerran.

Players will be able tell what class another player is by the way the character stands and holds their weapon. With 40 classes to choose form when multi-classing, it’s going to be pretty easy to hit on an uncommon combination, but builds can also be customised with items.

Everything we hear about EverQuest Next makes it sound pretty damn sweet. For one thing, Sony Online Entertainment will release a robust creation kit called Landmark before the game launches, outsourcing some development to its player base.

No date has been set for the new MMO, but you can register for the beta. It’s coming to PC, and will scale to older models, and no PlayStation 4 release is planned – yet.

1. Luciferous

I’ll probably start as a Rogue, mainly because I always go for the stealthy archer/ dagger wielding bugger that steals all your things… including that fine tavern wench on your knee…

#1 12 months ago
  2. sebastien rivas

Thanks for the link for the beta, unfortunately it does not work at the time I post. I hope it is only a Sony Web maintenance but I doubt :/

REGISTRATION FAILED

Sorry, there was an error in the registration process

Warrior to end up sort of dark knight. Always liked the mixture of blade and spells.

#2 12 months ago
  3. GwynbleiddiuM

It has two Elfven race, but no Undeads. Render me displeased. I hope at least it has necromancy so I can mix it up with a warrior or blademaster in order to have something that is bit similar to Death Knight because where I go an army of the dead should follow.

#3 12 months ago
  4. Phoenixblight

Yeah I am pretty disappointed with the races. I understand that they have lore and all that but why are they the most generic looking of what the game offers.

#4 12 months ago
  5. Dragon246

@Gwyn,
    Are you able to play MMOs now?

#5 12 months ago
  6. GwynbleiddiuM

@Dragon well, some new tunneling stuff is out there that makes it possible for the moment. But yeah currently back on WoW, since Blizzard have lifted the restrictions on Iran, even managed to zerg Diablo on Inferno difficulty a couple of days ago. That might change though, since again there are talks of even heavier trade embargo on Iran.

I wish I could set a proxy on my PS3 too. There’s a problem there I wish I could fix as well.

#6 12 months ago
  7. Vice

Bullshit. Can I have pure classes finally not some half mage half warrior crap?!

#7 12 months ago
  8. Erthazus

@7, you can. You can forget about other classes and be just a pure mage. you can research a new class or just forget about it.
    Classes here are just to make your strategy even better. There are going to be other mages so you can research mage classes too and just make your “spells” be more badass. Let’s just say you are a Wizard and you just discovered Necromancy. you can choose some abilities from Necro to your Wizard and etc.

@Gwyn, there are no undeads because of the previous Everquest lore. Basically there is no Alliance/Horde (Evil/Good) so more like everyone is together fighting against orcs, undead and blah blah blah. (!) BUT (!) There are other interesting races like Rotanga (giant rats. Believe me they are funny as hell :D) and a lot of other really interesting races like Ikshar and so on.

and i’m glad that you finally finished Inferno mode and can play WoW. :D we should play again, seriously.

#8 12 months ago
  9. GwynbleiddiuM

@Erth Looking forward to it. My Barb is in a good place right now, she passes by people and they fall hard like they never existed. :D

Still, I look at this EQN optimistically since having environmental destruction in an MMORPG is one of my fantasies. Just want to know how that affects the gameplay and lore. I don’t wanna wake up one day and see my hero is falling into nothingness just because there used to be an environment around him/her but it’s gone now because people went overboard with destroying the world. :D

#9 12 months ago
  10. Erthazus

@8, Developers said that the world will heal at some point in the game. So destruction is not permament

and what was in the demo was just a show. they showed us the technology from the characters that have high level abilities. you won’t destroy everything so fast in the game.

#10 12 months ago
  11. Hcw87

Hearing rumors that they’re ditching the Holy Trinity for the game. Sad if true.

#11 12 months ago
  12. GwynbleiddiuM

@11 What is that? I’m a complete stranger with the lore of EQ.

#12 12 months ago
  13. Erthazus

@11, holy Trinity is not a lore. It is Tank/healer/DPS. It’s called holy trinity :D

Everquest was a first game that created that thing that is now common in (WoW and other MMO’s) and they want that idea to go away.

@11, It’s not sad. They said that they don’t want to have specific roles but that does not mean that everything will go Zerg route. I’m not sure what they want but they promised to explain the combat in the future.

#13 12 months ago
  14. GwynbleiddiuM

So, they have like 50 classes but they’re gonna be absolutely meaningless? Some of us actually prefer to play tanks or healers, that’s why I have 6 fucking death knights. And 2 paladins :|

:D

#14 12 months ago
  15. Erthazus

@14, A lot of people at the “question panel at SOE Live” had the same question as you right now. Here is the answer:

While the final outcome remains to be seen, SOE creative director Jeff Butler replied to these concerns by stating:

“I think one thing that you’ll see from us and we’ll demonstrate this as we get deeper into combat, is that we have a very detailed and intricate plan for moving around and fighting. The NPCs are capable of executing strategy and tactics and you’ll require your own intricate tactics to overcome them. We are saying that no one specific role or pair of roles is required in unlocking the strategy to defeating an encounter. It’s not to say that we are walking away from roles and it’s certainly not to say we are walking away from responsibility, both personal strategic and tactical responsibility…
    Effectively we want every single person playing the game to have fun, I refuse to have my guild fall apart because one member doesn’t want to play anymore and he is our primary healer. This is a responsibility that we created as game developer and we are abandoning it, we are not going to put players through that, we have seen the damage it has caused over the past 15 years and we are moving past it with this design.”

#15 12 months ago
  16. TheWulf

From what they’re describing, it sounds like my kind of game. They’re taking cues from The Secret World about how to do stuff. What do I mean by that? Yes, you have unlockable ‘classes’ which are basically decks, you can learn damn near all of the abilities eventually, and…

Everquest Next has NO LEVELS.

I was elated by that news. I’m sorry to say it, vertical progression fans, but it seems like MMOs are finally starting to move away from that. There are no levels in Everquest Next. This explains why there are no raids in EQ:N either.

I’m very much looking forward to this one.

#16 12 months ago
  17. TheWulf

On the topic of the removal of the trinity, I find it disingenuous to assume that the removal of the trinity results in zerging. The reason that zerging became a tactic in GW2 is because the AI didn’t improve over time.

You cannot zerg ME3′s multiplayer, for example. Go and try that, I’ll wait. Especially if you’re playing it on gold or platinum. You have to employ strategy, quick reflexes, and decision making on the fly in order to actually survive. Zerging in ME3′s multiplayer will get you killed, very quickly. This is because the AI actually isn’t bad.

Similarly, try taking a character who isn’t kitted out with all purples into Serpent Lantern in CO with the difficulty set to Elite and try zerging. Good luck with that. Again, the way VIPER Work together to create a united front, each compensating for each other’s weaknesses makes that difficult.

And whilst you can play Guild Wars 1 easily without a healer, try zerging. You actually need to use placement, strategy, and you have to do the right thing at the right time to survive. All having a healer does is make it easier.

It’s AI that doesn’t actually provide enough challenge that results in zerging, not the removal of the trinity. You’re seeing a faux correlation, which is not a causation. If the removal of the trinity really resulted in zerging, it would in ME3′s multiplayer as well.

Good or bad AI makes all the difference.

I remember when it was standard for enemies to flank in games, for archers to attack from high points/cover, or for enemies to set traps. People don’t seem to understand the value of these factors, these days. But that’s exactly what makes ME3′s multiplayer so special — the AI actually does do those things.

The holy trinity is just a cover for bad AI.

#17 12 months ago