Carmack feels there won’t be a “push for another generation” after PS4, Xbox One for a long while

Friday, 2nd August 2013 16:01 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

John Carmack said during is QuakeCon 2013 keynote that he doesn’t think that after PS4 and Xbox One are released, that there will be a “push for another generation” for quite some time.

“I don’t think there’s going to be much of a push for another generation for a long time,” Carmack said per Joystiq. “Really, we could be doing great, innovative work even on the current generation for many more years yet. It’s not like anybody’s seen everything that you could do.

“I’ll be surprised if we see radically better games enabled because of the new capabilities on the consoles, and, I’ve thought for a while we’re now past the knee of the curve of the payoff benefit, so we’re going to be definitely on the gradual sloping part of it going forward.

“Whether we get something like cloud gaming owning large shares of the market before [next-next-gen], or people using both systems or you just play on your mobile phone and it shows up on whatever screen’s near you, that could become [the] dominant gaming platform.

“But, a traditional next Xbox? Yeah, I think that’s a long ways off, and there’s a credible argument to be made that there may not be another console generation as we know it now.”

During his three-hour speech, Carmack also said he would “love to develop for 3DS, Wii U, and Vita,” but that it is “extremely unlikely to happen.”

“I always thought the Wii U and the Vita would be great targets for Doom 3: BFG,” he said via tweets from The Dallas Morning News’ Britton Peele. “But there’s not enough interest.”

QuakeCon 2013 is going on all this weekend.

1. OnionPowder

Hah quakercon.

#1 9 months ago
  2. Stephany Nunneley

@1 HAHAHA! :D That was a pretty awesome typo actually.

#2 9 months ago
  3. bradk825

@1 I hear they only serv oatmeal at the food court.

I doubt his claim that there may never be another console generation. Eventually even if the games can’t be made better, features can be added and there will be a reason to build new hardware.

Those who think console gaming will just go away and be replaced by cell phones: Get real. I’m not going to put away from HD, now sometimes 3D, graphics heavy, masterful storytelling, community building console so I can play farmville and Angry Birds for the rest of my life.

Edit: just adding this point: It’s now arguable whether this came from Duell or Ellsworth, but the quote “Everything that can be invented has been invented” was made in 1902. A few things have been invented since then. Just because we can’t imagine something now, doesn’t mean it can’t be imagined by someone else, down the road.

#3 9 months ago
  4. laughing-gravy

Unfortunately the man is a dinosaur that hasn’t shipped anything good for at least ten years. His time is over.

#4 9 months ago
  5. MrWaffles

His just answering a question there:
    It’s unlikely you will see another AAA gaming box released in 15 year.

Gaming is diversifying, it will only become more platform agnostic over the years, so you’ll play whenever the hell you want (screen-wise).

What you’ll see is, Steam, Live, PSN, etc becoming HUGE and multi-platform. Microsoft could care less where you play their games as long as you pay for their monthly service (a bit like the mobile market now).

So, whoevers builds the most robust, player friendly, TV friendly, box will be winning the GAAS (gaming as a service) game in the future.

-Waffles

#5 9 months ago
  6. sebastien rivas

@ 5

This is out of the ordinary idea but I must say it makes sense.
    Sounds like the war of next gen console or “box” is far from being over which I would assume could be based of an APU 8 cores with a Graphic capabilities of a GTX850 or ATI 9770.

Hopefully by then, game editing engine and 3D DCC will developped to a such degree that AAA will be able to perform better and release for less cost, and that shall make the indie industry too!!!

Cheer,

#6 9 months ago
  7. CPC_RedDawn

WHERE CAN I WATCH THE VIDEO OF HIS KEYNOTE PLEASE!!??

#7 9 months ago
  8. Smart Apps

I believe the next push for systems will be when 4K TV’s become mainstream in peoples homes. And 4K gaming will be many many years away given the bandwidth needed to effectively do it.

#8 9 months ago
  9. mikey3k

@4 Well said sir. Well said.

#9 9 months ago