Xbox One was designed to have the power turned on for 10 years – report

Wednesday, 31st July 2013 15:27 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

Xbox One was designed to have the power turned on for 10 years, according to the latest Digital Foundry report, which doesn’t state how much your electric bill would go up should you decide to leave the thing running for that long of a period.

All joking aside, the report states that Microsoft’s priority with the hardware was to create something with total reliability: in other words, it is able to stay turned on for the entirety of Microsoft’s planned 10-year lifecycle.

The console is also large and the reason for such a relatively large machine is so it will supposedly be “near-silent” with more heat dispersion.

Hopefully, this means that when the fan goes off it won’t sound like a jet engine like my Xbox 360 does, apparently.

According to the report, Microsoft will provide more information on the console’s benefits during its gamescom conference: a source told Eurogamer that the “message about instant access never got across,” regarding games and it plans to rectify this next month in Cologne.

1. Kieran

aw il miss reading articles & watching videos of people complaining their 360s breaking down youtube was full of it years ago lol !!

#1 9 months ago
  2. DSB

How old is your 360 though Steph? Only my first gen did that.

#2 9 months ago
  3. Stephany Nunneley

@2 It’s about three or four years old, and my 5th and has stopped reading discs. I have bad luck with tech. It hates me.

#3 9 months ago
  4. DSB

So it’s an Elite I’m guessing. I never tried one of those. I had an original white Xbox 360 (that didn’t break!) and now I have a slim.

It’s actually reasonably quiet except for DVD play.

#4 9 months ago
  5. Fin

My 360 too sounds like a jet engine, circa late 2008.

I love this though – X1 supposed to be on for 10 years.
    Bet the NSA love the idea.

#5 9 months ago
  6. fearmonkey

@5 exactly what I was thinking. This type of reliability must have the NSA salivating…

#6 9 months ago
  7. orakaa

Yeah… talking is one thing. Let’s wait for the feedback of users once the consoles arrive.

It’s just like the “power of the clouds”. You can talk all you want but so far no one has seen the Cloud addition in action (on/off). So saying your console will withstand 10 years of use when it’s not even released yet? Come on.

It’s really bold for them to make such a statement, especially after their track record on Xbox and 360…

#7 9 months ago
  8. DuckOfDestiny

So how about a five year warranty if you’re so confident about that Microsoft?

#8 9 months ago
  9. sg1974

This is silly. Nobody designs hardware to last ten years. You design it properly to work (well, usually…). And if it works and is rarely fully powered off, it will easily last ten years and longer.

You see, electronics are heavily degraded by the heat cycles that come with switching between powered off and powered on states. It is why the physical on/off switch is disappearing fast, leaving you with standby/on instead (unless you pull the plug). That standby mode keeps a little bit of heat in the components.

Little known fact: if you leave an old filament light bulb permanently switched on in one room, and in another room have a bulb which is on for 12 hours, off for twelve hours, on for…. etc etc, the one permanently switched on will last longer in number of days days (and, obviously, with more than double the on-time).

#9 9 months ago
  10. bradk825

@5 and 6 you just need to make sure your tinfoil hat is tight enough and then guv-ment won’t read your mind.

Steph, tech does hate you, the likelihood of 5 of anything breaking down on you is lottery-ticket worthy. Speaking of which, you should buy a lottery ticket, long odds love you. Don’t fly in a plane, I fucking mean it. Don’t. I like your writing, I’d hate for you to end up a flaming stain on the ground. If you’re going to Gamescom, go by boat and car, or teleport.

I am glad to hear it’s built with reliability in mind. I did pretty good. I upgraded my old one and was able to trade it in because it was still working, and I have a slim now that is a little faster and much MUCH quieter.

#10 9 months ago
  11. Fin

I didn’t have any problem with Kinect being always-on until NSA/Prism, showing Microsoft gives the contents of Skype’s audio and video to the US govt, seemingly at a base level, before any encryption.

If they do it for Skype, presumably they’ll do it for Kinect too?
    At least with Skype, I know when it’s using the camera. X1 on 24/7 in my bedroom?
    Nah, thanks.

#11 9 months ago
  12. sebastien rivas

sweet but that is a bold claim that could only piss consumers with defective console.

In any case, it would be nice to have a console that lasts 10 years non stop but we can say whatever we want, dance all we want. We can only know for sure through the warranty .

Hope it is real….

Cheer,

#12 9 months ago
  13. Stephany Nunneley

@10 I won the lottery once. $100. I think that’s all the luck I’ll get. :) The whole thing is a sad tale, really. First one stopped reading discs. Second one, the disc tray stopped working. Third one RRoD. Fourth one bad disc tray again. Fifth one stopped reading discs.

PS3: First one stopped reading discs within a week. The Second one is still going along okay, but on the rare occasion doesn’t want to pop a disc out, but I found a work around for when that happens.

#13 9 months ago
  14. sebastien rivas

@ 13
    you went through 5 Xbox 360?
    I would be so pissed on second console break.
    I really hope you were able to exchange with Microsoft through warranty terms on each occasion or at least found good prices.

#14 9 months ago
  15. bradk825

@13 Good heavens, that’s awful, lol. At least with the PS3 you know a huge chunk of the early ones broke down in the first week, most of which on the first day, so that’s not a random thing that just happened to you. And there are some broken xbox stories out there, but I certainly never heard 5 before, lol.

I have had issues with disk drives on various things. Do you prefer the butterknife, tap-the-top, or swear at it until it obeys method?

#15 9 months ago
  16. Kreion

So what you’re saying is that until this point you believed that the government would never do somethings nefarious as force cooperation from big businesses to they could ‘spy on you’ :o That’s just you being ignorant.

You should never trust the government. Realistically, they will always want to know what their populus is doing and remove elements they deem radical. You gave them the easiest way to do that by going on the internet and practically throwing your data at them, don’t bitch at companies now. If you really want to throw a hissy fit then turn the damn thing off at the plug or keep it always disconnected from the internet.

Better yet, disconnect your PC and phone too. Never know, the might see your comments and come getcha :o Have fun living in the dark ages.

Ignoring that, I actually agree that 10 years seems a bit…ambitions. Then again the PS2 seems to be soldiering on, but I haven’t played mine since I took apart the controllers so I couldn’t say it it still works…

#16 9 months ago
  17. OlderGamer

I am on my personal fourth system. My kids each have had broken systems as well, oldest is on his third, youngest on his second. If you use them, they will break. Prolly a general rule for most things today, tbh.

#17 9 months ago
  18. tezzer1985

@Stephany you are on you 2nd PS4…Whaat!! Loool

#18 9 months ago
  19. lookingglass

@FIN

If you didn’t already know the government was filtering every bit of data that travelled through the air or on a wire, then you’re just not that smart. ECHELON has been around for decades even before the Internet, look it up.

More than likely you’re a Sony fanboy using the NSA stuff to try to scare people away from the Xbox One.

And here we are, with you not knowing the government filters all communication and data and with you thinking that somehow Sony, its voice chat, and everything you do on PS4 is immune to government oversight. You really are not very smart at all.

#19 9 months ago
  20. Maguire82

@9 It doesn’t say its designed to last 10 years it says its designed to be constantly on for 10 years. And your fact about the filament light bulb is well out of context.

#20 9 months ago
  21. sg1974

@20 Then you didn’t read properly. Even though I said “last”, I was clearly saying that most electronics can be left on permanently and last an extremely long time. The One wasn’t designed to do this, nothing is – it’s how things work (if built properly – don’t expect a £20 DVD player to be able to do it). It’s just that MS are the only one’s saying you can leave it on for ten years.

No, the bulb is not out of context. The life of the metal filament is degraded by the heat cycles. The same applies to the components in your electronic devices.

#21 9 months ago
  22. Beersup

Government agent: “all the data collected indicates that 90% of PS4 users are talking about the Xbox.”

Nintendo Of America: “Damn!”

Can’t wait

#22 9 months ago
  23. Stephany Nunneley

@18 Yeah. Force of habit. Seems to be all I type lately. Damn brain. :D

#23 9 months ago
  24. Dragon246

Very good indeed. However its probably just a hypothetical guess. Looks like next-gen consoles wont suffer from hardware failures which screws their most loyal consumers : day one buyers.

#24 9 months ago
  25. machy

I know how to treat consoles right I never brought a second console ever in my life starting with PSone, ps2 and ps3 (40 GB) all still rocking

and I’m one of those guys whom ply around 5-8 hours on one set :D and sometime hit the 10+

#25 9 months ago
  26. MrWaffles

This, again, is Microsoft setting themselves for failure and publice shame.

As mentioned, the first RROD equivalent will go viral and you’ll see this exact headline getting quoted all over the netwubs.

Also, a class-action suit over this ain’t too far-fetched if you think about it.

Disclaimer: I kinda want the Xbox one to fail miserably, loved the console on the pre-announcement, hated it when the actual facts started to surface.

-Waffles

#26 9 months ago
  27. Lengendaryboss

So… you liked what you didn’t know about it at the time? :?

#27 9 months ago
  28. MrWaffles

@LegendaryBoss

The first details thay emerged about the Xbox One had me 100% sure I was getting one, then all the restrictions and small-letter details began to surface and then the love was gone.

Yes, they backtracked on many of the restrictions, but it just makes me think “what else is there?” and “what are they replacing those with?”.

Just sayin’, Kinect 2 seemed wonderful at first, they were talking about how to measure emotion, facial expressions, gestures, position… but behind all that, there’s the intend of restricting usage, which frankly, sucks balls.

#28 9 months ago