BioShock Infinite: Burial at Sea DLC goes back to Rapture

Tuesday, 30th July 2013 13:03 GMT By Dave Cook

BioShock Infinite: Burial at Sea is a two-part story campaign DLC set in Rapture on New Year’s Eve 1958. New challenge DLC Clash in the Clouds is out today. Trailers inside.

In a press release sent to VG247, publisher 2K Games confirmed that the first part of BioShock Infinite’s two-part story DLC is called Burial at Sea and it will arrive in the Fall. It takes Booker to Rapture and features a grown-up Elizabeth. You’ll play as both characters and encounter Big Daddies along the way.

Each part of the campaign will cost you £9.99 / 1200 Microsoft Points and are included in the game’s season pass.

In an interview with Eurogamer, Irrational Games’ creative director Ken Levine described the DLC as a detective story, where Booker is a private eye in Rapture who is approached by Elizabeth. The two don’t seem to know each other.

“At the very beginning, you’re Booker, private detective in Rapture,” Levine explained, “in your office and this woman comes in, and you two don’t seem to know each other, and we don’t explain that. We always like to put people in a place where there’s a story that ends up making sense, but we don’t want the obvious… We like people immediately having a sense of wondering what’s going on.”

He added, “The story takes place on New Year’s Eve, 1958, which is the night that the bombing happened in the original Rapture and the revolution started, and we were really excited, having done all the work on the population – a living, breathing population in Columbia – because Rapture was a tomb, y’know?

“Originally we wanted to show Rapture when it was fully alive, but do it in the context of an interesting story, not just to go back and talk about Midi-chlorians, you know? To do it in a sort of integrated way, but to tell a story we thought was important to tell with these characters as well.”

Also, Clash in the Clouds is a challenge mode that pits you against waves of Columbia’s guard. Each wave comes with Blue Ribbon Challenges’ that task players with defeating all foes within a set time limit and other objectives set across various arenas.

The Clash in the Clouds DLC is out today and will cost £3.69 / 400 Microsoft Points and is also included in the game’s season pass. It’s seen as a stop-gap to tide players over until Burial at Sea launches.

Levine said in a statement, “We are really excited to offer our fans the content that they have been asking for. With Clash in the Clouds, people get a pure action experience that takes BioShock Infinite combat to its highest challenge and intensity level. With the Burial at Sea episodes, we are bauilding a Rapture-based narrative experience that is almost entirely built from scratch.”

Polygon has posted a list of content you can unlock in the DLC. We won’t post the list here because it’s full of spoilers, really, so click at your own risk.

1. Biscuitpants

hahhahaa what a joke

#1 1 year ago
  2. Ali

I cant believe it…. Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeees more exciting than the original game.

#2 1 year ago
  3. Froseidon

Knew they’d go back to Rapture, glad they did :D

#3 1 year ago
  4. VibraniumSpork

That’s…unexpected. The combat was the *one* thing people seemed to dislike most about Infinite, and the first DLC just straight-up offers a horde/challenge hybrid based around shooting stuff. Levine has big, brass, Steampunk-stlyed balls, that’s for sure.

#4 1 year ago
  5. Max Payne

So second and third dlc will be in rapture ?

#5 1 year ago
  6. Beta

Clash in the Clouds, meh..

But that Rapture DLC, Give Me It Now! ;D

#6 1 year ago
  7. absolutezero

Man imagine if they went one step further and the next DLC is set on the Rickenbacker.

#7 1 year ago
  8. Dave Cook

@7 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#8 1 year ago
  9. wildBoar

“Rapture was a tomb y’know” And columbia wasn’t just a large combat arena? We’ve played the fucking game Levine, don’t try to reuse hyperbole on us. Columbia was about as living and interactive as a museum.

#9 1 year ago
  10. Edo

Good stuff.

#10 1 year ago
  11. Aullah

I think they just showed how they failed with infinite. They created a whole new world, but guess what. We dont gonna use it for the story dlc because we go back to rapture. THE RAPTURE STORY DLCs will costs 30 euros. Now thats the insult. The other in is the stupid challenge dlc. Who cares?

#11 1 year ago
  12. SameeR_Fisher

Story DLC looks so interesting.

@11: 30 ?!, more like 10.

Also I disagree, exploring a new/old world is pretty great.

#12 1 year ago
  13. Stephany Nunneley

A list of content which can be unlocked in the DLC has been linked to in the post. If you want to click it just be advised it may spoil things a bit for you, especially if you prefer to discover things on your own – which is why I didn’t add the list in – just the link.

#13 1 year ago
  14. TheBlackHole

What, for doing a horde mode that every other triple A shooter now has a derivative of?

No balls there, just dollar signs.

#14 1 year ago
  15. Mjorh

@ 11 Failed ?!!! u need 2 get ur cranium checked!

Can’t wait 2 get my hands on it!
    How come Booker didn’t recognize Elizabeth ?!

#15 1 year ago
  16. Linuxul19

not going to be buying this. bioshock infinit was the worst game this year.

#16 1 year ago
  17. Aullah

@12 It will be a 2 part dlc, each 15 dollars.

#17 1 year ago
  18. Clupula

I actually traded in Bioshock Infinite yesterday, towards Tales of Xillia.

I have no interest in the combat DLC, but when both parts of the story DLC are out, I may pick it up again used or something.

Personally, I loved the story of Bioshock Infinite, but my biggest problem with the game was, believe it or not, the geography of Columbia. In the beginning of the game, it felt like a place. You knew you’d get to one place if you went one direction and you’d go another if you went another. But then when the shooting started, it started to feel like levels. I think it was the skyway thing that just make it all feel pieced together in a very videogame-y manner. I don’t know if I’m explaining it properly, but, in Rapture, I knew the geography better the more I played. In this, for most of the game, it just felt like, “Okay, shoot up an area. Go to next area. Never revisit.”

@15 – As for why Booker doesn’t recognize her, it’s because it’s SPOILER not the same Elizabeth and Booker. Time lines changed. END-SPOILER

#18 1 year ago
  19. 2021vince

Man this first dlc alone makes me regret buying the season pass you know what I won’t do it no more I’ll just wait till all dlc comes out for a game then do the season pass bioshocks just pissed me off

#19 1 year ago
  20. Gheritt White

SO glad I bought a season pass now! And SO happy with the choice of DLC given by Irrational – great going, guys! Pleasantly surprised and CANNOT WAIT to return to Rapture.

@ everyone above… sheesh. Screw you guys, enthusiasm FTW.

#20 1 year ago
  21. karma

I loved BS1 and 2, and SS2 even more. But BSI was a complete downgrade from those older games. It looked pretty and the story was quite good, but the dumbed down gameplay just wasn’t interesting. I could play any number of games if I wanted a mere shooter. So unless the DLC can fix that, (I doubt it) then I have zero interest in this, no matter how tempting a return to Rapture is.

PS. Bring back the FPS/RPG hybrid Ken!

#21 1 year ago
  22. Hcw87

Infinite wasn’t any more dumbed down than BS1/2. You could play through those games with one gun, just like you can in Infinite. No difference.

#22 1 year ago
  23. Ireland Michael

@22 The point is, you had the *choice*. A good two thirds of Bioshock’s mechanics were removed in Infinite, and all you were left with was a glorified corridor shooter (and a weak shooter, at that) with a decent story.

This is why I’ll never buy Season Passes early. A horde mode made up of re-used assets? Seriously? That’s the best you can come up with?

#23 1 year ago
  24. Mjorh

@ 18 , Yeah that kinda makes sense,Thanks.
    What u mean by “Then when the shooting started, it started to feel like levels” ?
    @23 A good two thirds of mechanics such as?
    The story was too deeply mind-blowing n hard 2 grasp so in this kinda circumstances its better 2 have a fun gameplay with athentic mechanics rather than puzzle-like gameplay , so it makes a lot sense what we saw in Bioshock Infinite as a gameplay n i personally enjoyed it !

#24 1 year ago
  25. YoungZer0

I like the noir-ish look of the Rapture DLC trailer. Would love to have some sort of who-dun-it story, instead of just another shooting gallery.

#25 1 year ago
  26. revolting

Remember Citadel.

Except the rights to it are probably buried deep in the twentieth plane of legal hell.

#26 1 year ago
  27. TD_Monstrous69

I really don’t get some of the complaints about Infinite, it’s a finely crafted game, and this dlc makes me happy. Can’t wait for the Burial at Sea.

#27 1 year ago
  28. ArcticMonkey

Love the Bioshock franchise, cannot wait for Burial at Sea.

#28 1 year ago