EVE Online: record-breaking battle in progress, watch live

Monday, 29th July 2013 01:13 GMT By Brenna Hillier

The largest battle in EVE Online’s history has drawn over 4,000 warriors to the front lines.

According to the latest update from CCP staff, 4,070 pilots are involved.

The new conflict has more than 1,000 more participants than the last record-setting confrontation.

The higher numbers aren’t unexpected; unlike the last mass battle, which broke out organically, this one was planned in advance.

CCP is supporting the event by slowing game time to help servers cope with the unusual load.

Check out a livestream below; The Verge is running updates on the battle for those of us unable to parse.

Watch live video from drew_qt on www.twitch.tv

Thanks, GameInformer. Image courtesy of NeoGAF.

1. loci

Ahhh It’s the annual “Something has finally happened in EVE” article.

#1 1 year ago
  2. Brenna Hillier

We post about EVE all the time.

#2 1 year ago
  3. GwynbleiddiuM

@1 Need to open your eyes more often.

#3 1 year ago
  4. NocturnalB

WOW what a personal coincidence, I was literally JUST reading over one of my GI issues from about 3 months ago and they had a mini article about the 2,800 player war that happened back in January.

Crazy when that kind of thing happens right? Wild.

#4 1 year ago
  5. Brenna Hillier

@4 yeah, it’s super neat. There are people doing PhD research about EVE. It’s really interesting in a sort of “I don’t actually have the patience to play” way.

#5 1 year ago
  6. NocturnalB

That’s a good thing, because I’ve played EVE, and actually don’t have the patience for it lol, way too technical and detailed for me, which is a crazy thing to say when it comes to games.

#6 1 year ago
  7. GrimRita

This kind of stuff used to happen all the time in non generic MMOs. I remember in Star Wars Galaxies the huge battles we had between the Rebel city of Anchorhead and Bestine on Tatooine.

ok, it wasn’t thousands but hundreds and I do mean hundreds – all with AT-STs, pets, etc engaged in some of the best, enjoyable pvp yet to be beaten by any generic MMO today.

Rewards? Fun! No xp, no stupid valour boost, or medal gains, we did it for fun and it bloody was. Ah the days of the sandbox MMO. Shame they arrived before their time

#7 1 year ago
  8. Uncontested

I’ve never seen “thousands” in legit combat in one area.. most games simply cant handle it. I remember after Darkfall released we were having battles on the regular with 200+ people; it was lag and crash city.. lol.

Shadowbane was the same thing, there’d be several hundred players in a siege and the game just became unplayable.

I don’t have the time or patience for EVE but it would be interesting to see how exactly this “4000 player battle” is handled exactly..

#8 1 year ago
  9. evecorp

Interested in joining Eve Online and getting in on the action? Get your FREE 21 Day Eve Online Trial here
    Want to join a corporation in an alliance that was at the center of this battle? Check out our website here

#9 1 year ago