Firefly Online: Joss Whedon’s series will continue in official game adaptation

Thursday, 18th July 2013 09:23 GMT By Dave Cook

Firefly Online is coming in 2014, and it’s the official continuation of the universe seen in Joss Whedon’s cult sci-fi series. It should come as exciting news for fans who still long for a new season of the show.

Announced at San Diego Comic-Con, Firefly Online is being developed by QMXi and Spark Plug Games, and it will hit iOS and Android smartphones and tablets next summer.

In the game you play as a ship captain who can enlist a crew, embark on missions and trade goods with other players. There’s also ship customisation and cross-play.

Andy Gore, CEO of QMXi and Quantum Mechanix Inc. said of the announcement, “At QMx, we know firsthand how great and powerful a franchise Firefly is and how mighty the Browncoats are.

“It has always been our mission to bring the Verse to life for our customers in every way possible. The idea of creating an interactive experience where fans can have their own Firefly adventures — well, that’s just too shiny for words.”

Matt McMahon, VP of mobile for Fox Digital Entertainment added, “We are thrilled to be partnering with QMx on Firefly Online.

“QMx has a long and successful history with Firefly and we couldn’t think of a better partner to make a truly innovative game that will stand up in the Verse and to its passionate fans.”

What do you make of the above Firefly-fans? Let us know below.

Thanks Polygon and Eurogamer.

1. freedoms_stain

The fact that there is no mention of Joss Whedon’s involvement and it’s a smartphone product means it’s probably going to be a shit cash grab built on the Firefly name.

#1 1 year ago
  2. f1r3storm

“It should come as exciting news for fans who still long for a new season of the show.”

Yeah.

“and it will hit iOS and Android smartphones and tablets next summer.”

Well, no.

#2 1 year ago
  3. Dave Cook

@2 note the word ‘should’.

#3 1 year ago
  4. silkvg247

What the fuck is going on with games going to mobile only?

I have to assume it’s not a real “online” game then, just one of those micro-transaction milking facebook types.

What an utter disgrace, what a sham. What a waste of a good IP.

#4 1 year ago
  5. Digital Bamboo

1&2&4 +1

“The light that burns twice as bright burns for half as long – and you have burned so very, very brightly”

#5 1 year ago
  6. mojo

the excitement in the eyes of so many fans then shattered by this little piece: “it will hit iOS and Android smartphones and tablets next summer.”

You have to love it..

so cruel dave.. so cruel!

#6 1 year ago
  7. ran93r

The DarkCryo game they announced a few years ago would be better than this, who the hell wants a mobile game? Fucking Fox.

#7 1 year ago
  8. Sylrissa

Had me really excited until the ios and android part. *sighs as excitment deflates like a balloon*

#8 1 year ago
  9. Ireland Michael

Games are going mobile only because… shock surprise… the format isn’t a nightmare to earn profit on.

MMOs can sink a company. If this was a full scale MMO, it would cost millions of dollars and years of design to make, with absolutely no guarantee of success. The mobile market is simpler, more affordable, and less risk adverse.

I’m interested to see how this pans out, but the proclamation that there its an “official continuation” means nothing without the word from Joss Whedon.

#9 1 year ago
  10. Gekidami

I dont know much about FireFly, but -if i’m not mistaken- it was in fact a story-driven series following a set of characters? So if you really want an “official continuation” wouldnt it be logical to make it a story-driven game following those same characters rather than a loose MMO where everyone is out doing their own thing?

#10 1 year ago
  11. silkvg247

@9 Why does it have to be expensive? Even something like FTL in a firefly world would have been better than this shite.

#11 1 year ago
  12. Ireland Michael

@10 Most of them were dead by the end of the show. Not really a spoiler considering how long its been.

@11 MMOs are expensive. FTL is fun, but the reality is that mot fans would probably whine and complain if it wasn’t at least a high fidelity, 3D game of some description on the PC

You haven’t even seen the game yet. You complain about the mobile format, yet suggest a game (FTL) that would fit perfectly on the mobile format as a direction to take?

#12 1 year ago
  13. sh4dow

“It should come as exciting news”

How do you figure? I would absolutely love a continuation of the story.
    Which is why I hate those a-holes for putting it on f-ing iOS/Android!
    It’s obvious that it’s just going to be a cheap cash grab that will look like shit, play like shit and probably have a shitty story on top of it.

#13 1 year ago
  14. Dave Cook

@13 “obvious” how? I think many gamers are too quick to write things off these days. I like to have a little faith, it makes the world much brighter :)

Should come as exciting news for folk who want any form of continuation of the license, because a second season just doesn’t seem to be possible any more. Maybe if the game does well a second season will be commissioned.

Or am I an idiot for being positive? I’m not sure any more.

#14 1 year ago
  15. Ireland Michael

@14 Its because mobile gaming is evil, Dave! Didn’t you get the memo?

Now if you’ll excuse me, I need to go finish up this level in Angry Birds.

#15 1 year ago
  16. ArithonUK

@10 & @13 Firefly was all about the characters, but had a distinct visual style and lots of action. The series ended too soon and the film follow-up managed to at least finish the open story arcs. Two regular characters died in the film, but that still left seven major characters alive and the story on-going.

I cannot see a mobile version emulating the series’ visual style without heavy reliance on rendered cut-scenes which would gobble memory. So, mobile platform is bad news or at least a strong hint the game will be seriously watered down in terms of presentation and content.

Games of-the-film and of-the-tv-series also have a diabolical history. Almost without exception they have been mishandled, sub-standard and blatant IP cash-ins. Not what “fans of the series” would want at all.

I’ll reserve judgement, but my hopes are not high.

#16 1 year ago
  17. sh4dow

@ Dave

Because that applied to all of the more complex mobile games that I have tried. Which is why I only play variations of Puzzle Bobble on my phone any more.

It just doesn’t make sense to me to play games that look and play inferior on a microscopic screen when I can play games that are better in every aspect in a more comfortable manner on my PC. (and that would go for consoles too, obviously)

As for being positive in the context you mentioned – how often has it happened in the past that a TV/movie game with virtually no budget turned out great? Never mind causing a continuation of the original thing.

I would never call you an idiot (Hell, you’re the ONLY game journalist whose name is stuck in my head in a positive way. Yes, I said it – “journalist”. Usually, I don’t use that word in the gaming world other than to bitch about the fact that most really just seem to be advertisers. Trying to put every piece of crap into a positive light, getting people hyped about bullshit. But whenever I see a critical article around here, I can already guess who wrote it :) ) but you may know what they say about doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results? ;)

#17 1 year ago
  18. Clupula

@12 – 2 characters is “most of them?!?”

#18 1 year ago
  19. Clupula

Anyway, the fact that it’s a mobile game means I have no interest in it, even if I am a Firefly fan.

#19 1 year ago
  20. Digital Bamboo

I just noticed the FOX tag at the end. So, the network that was responsible for clusterfucking and subsequently cancelling Firefly prematurely is trying to cash in now that it has a huge following. What a slap in the face.

@12 None of them were dead by the end of the show.

I’d be psyched if Joss & crew got together to make a proper console or PC game that followed up after the original series and ignored everything that happened in the movie (which I felt wasn’t as strong), but this? Just an insult.

#20 1 year ago
  21. Clupula

@20 – Well, Fox do own the rights to it, so ANYTHING officially related to Firefly is going to be a Fox product.

And if anything does happen in the future, ignoring the movie would be an awful idea. Movie is canon. People die. Get used to it.

Personally, I loved the movie and I loved that one character did die before…well, I don’t want to spoil anything for those who didn’t see the movie, because I don’t think there’s a way to word this sentence without hinting as to who it is.

#21 1 year ago
  22. Clupula

@14 – I’m not excited because, honestly, I see mobile gaming as…well, the only time I ever, ever play games on my phone is when I don’t have something to read on the toilet. Firefly deserves better than that.

#22 1 year ago
  23. Digital Bamboo

@21 I didn’t think the movie was weaker because some characters died (though I didn’t feel those deaths were necessary, or added much to the story). I thought the movie wasn’t as strong because it lacked the spark of the original series. It felt like the actors had been apart for too long and didn’t have quite the same chemistry. The writing wasn’t as snappy. It was too big budget/Hollywood.

I don’t have any issues with fictional characters being killed off, I just like there to be a good reason for it.

I really liked the movie, but I fucking loved the series.

#23 1 year ago
  24. Clupula

@23 – I can understand preferring the tv show to the movie. I do, as well, even if I did love the movie.

But to just disregard it as canon as you had suggested would be very pointless is all I’m trying to say.

#24 1 year ago