MAG and SOCOM: Confrontation shutting down, SOCOM 4 losing online features in January

Wednesday, 17th July 2013 00:21 GMT By Phil Owen

Come January 28, 2014, the SOCOM series will essentially be over as Sony will be shutting down online functionality for Slant Six’s SOCOM Confrontation and Zipper’s SOCOM 4, both of which were PS3 games and the last of the series to have servers running. Furthermore, Zipper’s MAG, the online FPS that supported 256-player battles, is also going offline that day. Of those three games, SOCOM 4 is the only one with any sort of offline play. Zipper Interactive was closed by Sony last year after they finished their Vita shooter Unit 13, and Slant Six, an independent studio, is in flux since they launched Operaction Raccoon City. RIP.

1. JimFear-666

mag was awesome! but i guess the game must be basicly dead at this point if they close the game servers.

#1 1 year ago
  2. ChunkyLover112

About time…

#2 1 year ago
  3. DZAKAS

THE BEST GAME SONY HAS EVER PRODUCED.THERE WILL NEVER BE A GAME LIKE THIS #1,NEVER AGAIN.MAG HAS A SPIRIT.SPIRIT 2 UNITE ITS PEOPLE. FIRE ,FIRE,FIRE!!!

#3 1 year ago
  4. NeoSquall

I can almost hear the sound of ps3fanboy (or was it backup?) imploding, it’s glorious.

Still, I’m sad to see the SOCOM games and MAG go down before I ever managed to play them :\

#4 1 year ago
  5. noamlol2

meh, those games are pretty shit

#5 1 year ago
  6. melonbuster1

They sucked. . Because sony does great single player stuff. . Not multi player

#6 1 year ago
  7. Major Mayhem 70

Wow, so you mean to tell me that if you own MAG that that game is now useless. But you own the disc and everything!!!

#7 1 year ago
  8. Tyrantsoul

It had to happen sometime,Sad to see it happen though.I feel your pain Socom and MAG fans….Chromehounds*sniff*

#8 1 year ago
  9. Legion

That is just wrong. Basically shutting down a game completely seeing that it has no offline capability. That is why I don’t purchase online only games anymore. I want at least something when they choose to not support the gamers any more.

#9 1 year ago
  10. tezzer1985

I see MAG as the game that set the foundation for these massive player online games on a console, it was the first of it’s kind on consoles.

I enjoyed it when it came out, it had a lot going for it, just wasn’t executed good enough, I feel a squeal would have been much better.

#10 1 year ago
  11. NeoSquall

@7 And you will still “own” the disc, you just never “owned” the game itself.

@9 Dude, that’s the gamble of online games, they may and will eventually be closed.
    The developers and publishers make you agree with a EULA prior to logging into the game, and that contract specifically states that they can interrupt the online services at any time, after giving a due notice.
    Sony has done just that, they said that the game services will be shut down on January 28, 2014, that’s more than 6 months before.

After that, all that remains will be your memories.

#11 1 year ago
  12. Major Mayhem 70

Good luck trying to pawn that game off at GameStop.

#12 1 year ago