Epic CEO believes graphics will be “indistinguishable from reality” within 10 years

Thursday, 11th July 2013 21:46 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

Epic Games CEO Tim Sweeney believes gaming graphics will be “indistinguishable from reality” within 10 years, but to create such photo-realism, technological hurdles will have to be overcome.

Speaking at the Develop and reported by GI International, Sweeney said there are still a lot areas requiring research – “probably the rest of our lives” – before graphics will even come close to approaching reality.

Sweeney also touched on the ability of developers to write one game on PC, and have it run on any platform that is appropriate including mobile and console.

“That just moves the challenge of graphics to the problems we don’t know how to solve,” he said. “Like simulating human intelligence, animation, speech, lip-syncing. There are still a lot areas that will require ongoing research for probably the rest of our lives before we come close to approaching reality.

“It feels like we’re going through the last 25 years of game history at the rate of four years every year. We’ve always recognized that the industry is in a state of constant change, and those that react fastest are the survivors.

“It means that now, increasingly, we can think about building one game and shipping it on every platform that’s appropriate. It means we can potentially reach a much larger audience, and it will be increasingly important worldwide. Consoles are specific to the Western markets – North America, Europe – but they really don’t exist in Korea, China… I really think we can build one game that goes to all of those markets by supporting the appropriate platforms.”

You can hear snippets of his talk below, and a one-on-one at Develop below.

1. DSB

In the 80′s we thought we would have flying cars within 10 years.

#1 1 year ago
  2. Stephany Nunneley

@1 No kidding, I have been waiting on those for too damn long!

#2 1 year ago
  3. Ali

@1,2 I haven’t lost hope yet…

#3 1 year ago
  4. tezzer1985

Blah Blah…fuck graphics, that’s not what needs to improve.

Can we have vibrant living worlds as standard, maybe some improved AI, that don’t follow scripted paths, and maybe game design that isn’t about shooting or killing to progress.

How about that Epic, keep your shinny graphics, and make better games with emmersive gameplay, rant over…thanks

#4 1 year ago
  5. CPC_RedDawn

Yep ok EPIC keep making tech demos of demons and monsters and I am sure it will be indistinguisable from real life…. +1 fuck reality!

#5 1 year ago
  6. sh4dow

@1,2

And jet packs! And virtual reality!
    Everything was supposed to be “just a few years away”.
    Yeah right… unless I’m forgetting something there was no colossal invention in the last 10-20 years. Nothing like airplanes, TV or the internet.

Which is why whenever somebody says something stupid like this guy here, I put them into my Yerli corner. (Because obviously – he is the king of bullshitting when it comes to video games. Well… him or Molyneux. But Molyneux is a different kind of stupid that is easier to ignore for me…)

#6 1 year ago
  7. Ali

Your engine is called Unreal, that was done for a reason.

Funny thing is that the other engines mainly Frostbite and Crytek have show more realistic touches than Unreal 4.

#7 1 year ago
  8. Clupula

@2- I remember watching a program a couple years ago that said that they had been patented for years, but the problem with flying cars is that, in reality, they’re too much of an insurance/lawsuit risk, since everyone who drives one would pretty much have to be trained up jet pilot levels to avoid your standard accident. I mean, if there’s a collision between two cars on a street, that’s bad, but imagine two cars crashing in the air over a suburban neighborhood.

Basically, they could start making flying cars tomorrow, but no one wants to risk the lawsuits that could come from them.

#8 1 year ago
  9. sh4dow

Haha that actually makes a lot of sense!

Which reminds me that I would in fact much rather love to see an all-rail traffic system. Where rails lead to all houses and all cars drive on them. That way, everything could be controlled via autopilot – no more crashes (unless some system malfunctions, I suppose. But there would obviously have to be fail-safes and fail-safes for the fail-safes…) and better handling of traffic congestion.
    That would be so sweet… just lean back and play some games, watch a movie, while your car drives you home….

#9 1 year ago
  10. powerbuoy

Seeing as CGI in films isn’t “indistinguishable from reality” yet and they take like 40 hours to render one frame I doubt video games are gonna get closer any time soon.

#10 1 year ago
  11. DarkElfa

I believe ps3fanboy will be mature in 10 years.

See, we can all make up shit that won’t happen.

#11 1 year ago
  12. Madgame

​”No flying cars yet?”, he wrote from a 2 inch by 4 inch pocket computer instantaneously to subscribers worldwide using only his right thumb.

#12 1 year ago
  13. Metroid455

they’re assuming there will ACTUALLY BE a gaming industry in 10 years time, with the current obsession with photo-realism I think not,at least not for AAA Devs/Pubs.

#13 1 year ago
  14. zersus

I dont’t whant RL graphics !

#14 1 year ago
  15. Deadpoolfan

You’re an ignorant fool if you think “new” inventions means advancement. If you were to look at computer technology and how drastically it has changed (a la, smartphones) in just the last ten years you would think differently. I mean, there are tablets out there that can play freaking modern pc games on ultra. Microchip technology is bounding ahead at breakneck speed. THAT is the future not flying cars.

#15 1 year ago
  16. ps3fanboy

@15 Deadpoolfan, i couldn’t said it better my self. microchip technology is bounding ahead at breakneck speed and is the future for shure. and by the way deadpool is awesome :D

#16 1 year ago
  17. sh4dow

Says a guy who apparently can’t even comprehend simple statements and replies in a way that only deals with the original argument in so far as it represents that inability. “I don’t like football” – “What do you mean you don’t like hockey?! Your mom’s fat!”

#17 1 year ago