PlanetSide 2′s PS4 players will have their own servers, cross-play uncertain

Monday, 8th July 2013 14:26 GMT By Dave Cook

PlanetSide 2 is heading to PS4 and developer Sony Online Entertainment has confirmed that those playing on Sony’s console will be bandied together on PS4-specific servers. The studio seems to be ruling out the possibility of PC versus PS4 cross-play at this time.

Speaking with News10, SOE’s Adam Clegg said, “[PS4 players] are going to be on separate servers right now. PC players will still have their servers that we have up and running right now and then we’ll create PlayStation 4 servers for the PlanetSide 2 players.”

This means that cross-play won’t be possible when PlanetSide 2 launches on PS4, and may stem from the old ‘PC players are better because they have mouse and keyboard’ complaint. Regardless, both versions of the game are said to be near-identical, so it’s a confusing decision at this time.

“We really want players to have the same experience. We don’t want the PS4 players to have something different than the PC players,” Clegg continued.

What do you think? Should PlanetSide 2 offer cross-play between PS4 and PC players? Let us know below.

Thanks PCGamesN.

1. machy

K/M vs DS … hell NO

#1 1 year ago
  2. Tavarish

Kinda not-news that PS 4 and PC will be on separate server. KB&M players would kick living shit out of pad gamers. No offence intended.

#2 1 year ago
  3. Dave Cook

@2 PS4 supports mouse and keyboard. The Warframe team at Digital Extremes said that it’s possible when I interviewed them last week :)

#3 1 year ago
  4. TheWulf

I wish cross-play was more of a thing with this, but I suppose the differences in control methods make sense and all that.

Also, I’d be so into this if it had a more interesting story. I dig the gameplay mechanics, but it’s just not engaging to me without something to fire up my imagination. I respect it for what it is, though. At least it’s not another operant conditioning box.

#4 1 year ago
  5. Tavarish

@3 Yeah, platform supports it. Still devs need enable them to theirs game. I can imagine that insane amount of QQ in Battletroll forums if DICE enables KB&M for PS 4′s Bf 4 and pad gamers get utterly destroyed.

Edit: Same goes for PlanetSide 2.

#5 1 year ago
  6. MFBB

PS3 also supports M/K but no gamer has ever used it cause no one wants to.

So developers often dont include it anymore.

I wouldnt mind playing games with PC players or when I am on PC with Playstation guys.

I always have bad players on my side and the enemy team has them aswell.

Adding some people with gamepads wouldnt change much.

Its not like M/K in one team and gamepads in the other, always mixed.

#6 1 year ago
  7. Sciva

#7 1 year ago
  8. bitsnark

“Keyboard or mouse, it doesn’t matter. If you’re going to defend a position and chase them while another faction swoops in from the other side it doesn’t matter, a person using a potato as a controller will be more help than people that mindlessly zerg.”

Absolutely spot-on.

If you forsake basic tactics and team co-ordination you might as well spend your time scooping out your eyes with a rusty spoon for all the good you’ll do.

#8 1 year ago
  9. Rezuro

Why not have it so that the cross-play is optional?

Perhaps certain servers could be PS4 only and some could be cross-play.

#9 1 year ago
  10. Engi

I really hope that there is cross play it would really be cool to play with my friends who Will not get a PS4.

#10 1 year ago
  11. justinlisisinski

Its simple add mouse and keyboard support for it and separate the MKB players and the controller players in different servers. Ill be using a XIM4 for planetside 2 so if they add MBK support or not i will still be using a mbk:)

#11 5 months ago
  12. justinlisisinski

Its simple add mouse and keyboard support for it and separate the MKB players and the controller players in different servers. Ill be using a XIM4 for planetside 2 so if they add MBK support or not i will still be using a mbk :)

#12 5 months ago