Xbox One & PS4: hardcore gamers will buy both consoles in the end – Désilets

Monday, 1st July 2013 09:25 GMT By Dave Cook

Xbox One and PS4 will both be bought by hardcore gamers despite the differences between each format, according to former Ubisoft employee Patrice Désilets. The developer has given a new interview, in which he discusses the Xbox One reveal, the switch to a digital-only landscape and more.

Speaking with GI.biz, Désilets said that he perhaps needed to explain himself a little better, following last week’s statement that no one cares about the loss of physical media.

“I probably need to explain myself a bit more, because there was a big reaction about the digital part,” he began, and added that he was having a “little wink” at Microsoft’s DRM policy reversal in the process.

“I was having a wink at that,” he continued. “But, honestly, I never actually put a date on the future. I didn’t say, ‘in two years it’s all going to be digital, or in five years.’ I just think, ‘come on, guys, the future is going to be digital.’ And maybe right now we don’t fully understand it, so we don’t know how to communicate what digital is and how it will actually work.

“But I was a bit like, ‘Really?’ It’s all going to be digital, and we’re already halfway through it. That’s why I took the CD as an example. I know some people still buy CDs and vinyl, but nobody’s yelling at Apple because of iTunes. I just find that a bit hypocritical. Just a little bit.

“Because Microsoft was trying to do something [different], and yes the message wasn’t the best one, and it wasn’t delivered the best way, but in the end I think people will buy most games on PSN on PlayStation 4 and Xbox Live on Xbox One.”

Désilets added that Microsoft’s 24-hour check-in policy was communicated poorly, and stated, “The problem is the message, and how to deliver the message. They focused on the wrong stuff. They didn’t have to mention that you needed an internet connection every 24 hours. They didn’t have to do that.”

In the end however, now that Microsoft has reversed its policies Désilets believes that hardcore gamers will pick up both PS4 and Xbox One regardless, and added, “And a lot of those people – the hardcore gamers – will buy both consoles in the end anyway.”

Are you what Désilets refers to as a ‘hardcore gamer’? Will you buy both consoles? Let us know below.

1. Pytox

nope

#1 10 months ago
  2. Ge0force

Nope. PS4 + PC is the way to go!

#2 10 months ago
  3. DGOJG

That’s nice, is he paying?

#3 10 months ago
  4. Erthazus

Hardcore

The land of AUTO-AIM, bullet magnetism, health regeneration, avoid button, kinect and casual games.

#4 10 months ago
  5. Bam007

Yep and that’s what I intend on doing.

Xbox One at launch > PS4 between 6 to 12 months after launch

Also planning on spending a few hundred dollars on upgrading the PC.

Best of “both” worlds. Got console gaming on lock and the PC thing wrapped up for another 4-5 years.

#5 10 months ago
  6. DeyDoDoughDontDeyDough

Wrong. PS4 only, thank you.

#6 10 months ago
  7. Myth

This guy completely gets it. :)

#7 10 months ago
  8. melonbuster1

I preordered both of them. With all of the xbox1 games and 3 of the ps4 games..paid them off and just waiting for the dates to enjoy them. . Btw I want a steambox if its good as well

#8 10 months ago
  9. Kyle Jackson

Neither for me, PC all the way.

#9 10 months ago
  10. Soul696m

I am buy both as well. but Xbox One is first. Then secondly PS4 some time down the road.

#10 10 months ago
  11. CyberMarco

” I know some people still buy CDs and vinyl, but nobody’s yelling at Apple because of iTunes.”

You dump f*ck, people didn’t criticize Apple for iTunes because Apple wasn’t the one to distribute CDs/vinyls in the first place. There are still retailers that sell CDs and vinyls. Apple offered just another service without killing retail.

With consoles on the other hand (Xbone in this case), MS’s intention was to force us the digital distribution, something that the music industry (and iTunes) didn’t.

On topic, nope. I’m only going to buy a PS4 when KH3/FF-XV/MGS5 release, probably in 2015 or something.

I don’t know for those “hardcore” gamers that buy all the console, but personally even if I wanted to play all those games I don’t have the time (and money) to do it. With this gen there are a PS3/360/Wii/PC and PSP in my household and I only spent my time gaming primarily on PC/PSP and as of September 2012 on PS3.

To clarify, my older brother bought the Wii in 2006 and the 360 in 2007 I think, because the PS3 was expensive as f*ck.

So, I’ll try to clear my PC and PS3 backlog and get the PS4 later. I’m also interested in the Wii U, but probably wont buy it as I can’t spare the time for it too.

#11 10 months ago
  12. Fin

He’s right.

If they ever release some decent games (ie a decent Zelda), I would consider picking up Wii U too.

#12 10 months ago
  13. Soul696m

You can keep your no good laggy sloppy PC garbage lol. No offense lol. I just do not like PC gaming lol. I like PC games like wow, minecraft that’s it lol.

#13 10 months ago
  14. OwnedWhenStoned

Lobotomies are a terrible thing.

#14 10 months ago
  15. Digital Bamboo

What’s the gestation period for trolls? They appear to be multiplying.

#15 10 months ago
  16. polygem

i wont go full force multiplat next gen as i did this gen. for me it looks like it´s gonna be 3ds, vita and ps4. i could easily be a very happy gamer with 3ds and ps4 only. fuck this hardcore/casual gamer marketing bullshit anyway. i don´t have the time anymore to play all the games on all the systems and i really feel like most of them are just more of the same stuff over and over again anyway.
    take a look at the last of us. great game. enjoying it. mp has huge potential (never fully delivers but the potential is there. wow). it get´s all the praise but in the end it´s just an uncharted game with some survival horror elements lazily added on top of it, with great acting. it´s a movie game. that´s where the industry is heading to. it´s nice. my girlfriend can watch me playing a game and it feels like watching a movie to her while it kind of feels like playing a game to me. it´s fun and all but that´s not exactly what made me fall in love with gaming in the first place. it feels like i am just consuming stuff, suck it up and unwrap the next package. exactly what the industry wants me to do. i get that.
    but i also like other things than gaming. regarding that i feel like cyber marco- i just don´t have the time. this gen i had all the systems and it was fun but it can also be stress. there´s the risk to just consume game xyz, move on to the next, suck it up, next…for the next gen i will really try to focus on the games that seem worth it and those that i will keep playing and enjoying for longer. i will buy into the destiny, diablo, dark souls, fallout, mario kart type of games more than into the assasins creed 15´s.
    i feel like the wii u is a great console….if i only had the time.

#16 10 months ago
  17. sgjones

Itunes killed the cd market! Before the iphone came out everyone had sony discman or some sort of cd player now we just download it! Why crusify Microsoft because your to simple to realize that Game Stop is robbing us without a gun! We buy games for $60 and might get $25 on a trade in if lucky! I didnt mind the drm or always on, because i never play offline anyway and most gamers are the same! But this is a dead arguement because none of those policies are gonna happen this gen anyway! Maybe we’ll be ready for all digital next next gen!

#17 10 months ago
  18. DrDamn

Kind of agree with him. The MS approach was poorly communicated and badly thought out in some areas. The systems are transitioning to digital only and in order to get there you need more of a carrot and less of a stick approach. I’m going PS4 first but I’ll get an X1 one day. The complete change in policy for the X1 has actually made me less likely to pick one up for now. They should have found a better middle ground than simply ditching everything and reverting to standard.

#18 10 months ago
  19. Lord Gremlin

Nope. I’ve spend this gen with PC+PS3+PS2 (and later Vita) and I sure as hell not supporting microsoft.
    I’m considering Wii U. Well, TBH I’d bought it already but space around TV is a concern to me…

#19 10 months ago
  20. silkvg247

Nope.

#20 10 months ago
  21. dkpunk

Definitely agree with him. X1 then ps4 a few months after.

#21 10 months ago
  22. LordDjinn

Looks like the fools forgave Microsoft sooner than i expected, oh well PS4 for me.
    “Taffy Francis – if someone held you at gunpoint and told you to hand him your wallet, and then just before you do it, he puts his gun down an apologises. He then invites you back to his house for dinner by way of an apology, would you accept? Same thing here, the mugger is microsoft, and the victim is the gaming community”

Also

#22 10 months ago
  23. super3001

xbone and wiiu only. ps4 has no interest games and sony will remove feature from console over time like ps3 but xbone will gain feature like 360

#23 10 months ago
  24. OmegaSlayer

Everyone supporting Microsoft on the net is either idiot or an astroturfer.

#24 10 months ago
  25. Kanok

I’ll get both. So, why do you hate XBox One?

#25 10 months ago
  26. karma

Not so much, no. Been gaming for over 30 years, and owned most of the major platforms at one time or another until about last gen, with the original Xbox and and PS2. I ended up choosing Xbox because gaming just became too expensive to be able to go with more than one platform, and at the time, they had a lot of PC-esque games on the platform. I didn’t regret that decision at first, but then MS changed their priorities during the course of the 360′s lifespan and have forgot about their gamer audience.
    So next gen I’ll be jumping ship back to PC, since Sony have decided to charge for online MP. And i’ve realised there is no other platform more future proof than PC. I can still play the majority of old games on any new PC.

Otherwise I probably would have gone with Sony. But I can say right now, that I won’t be jumping in bed with Xbox ever again.

#26 10 months ago
  27. manamana

Well “in the end” he might be right – I just can not see myself buying an Xbox180 in the next couple of years …

#27 10 months ago
  28. manamana

One thing that bothers me, is when they try to pull the Apple/iTunes card. It’s non-comparable bullshite. Especially considering the music section, where you have vinyl, CD and mp3 still selling alongside of each other. Where you have Vinyl with mp3 download codes.

When talking about Apps from the Appstore, we are talking about realtively inexpensive, fast to download and easy to access games. It’s kind of a different thing with 60€ and 50GB downloads, isn’t it? And it is, buy all means, no PC with Steam as an optional service.

#28 10 months ago
  29. POOP CRUSTY

He’s right. This is my plan and has been all along. It was my plan last gen, 2 gens ago and it is now.

#29 10 months ago
  30. zersus

I just logged in to say: no.

PS4, PC and WiiU for getting drunk whith friends. No Xbone, no, never ever!
    @19 I sure as hell not supporting Microsoft as well, they did some fuckups, and I claim to know now how they think about me as a consumer.

#30 10 months ago
  31. xBASSxMONSTAx

Patrice is a douche. I’m getting PS4 and Wii-U only. M$ can kiss my money good bye.

Anyone that even supports MS after all they have done or tried to do needs there heads examined.

Oh and for idiots that buy Xbone, NSA will enjoy spying on you through the mandatory kinect. ;)

#31 10 months ago
  32. Djoenz

Im not a hardcore gamer so it seems. I have to accept that. I never buy at launch and Xbox1 is a no no and PS4 unfortunately as well. I wont pay for basic online features.

I’ll stick to current gen.

#32 10 months ago
  33. Bowser

I have no interest in paying 500 dollars to put a PRISMBox in my house, thanks.

#33 10 months ago
  34. Clupula

I will never buy a 180. If someone gave me one for free, I would probably sell it because I will not support Microsoft’s policies, even if they have since changed them. The fact that they were arrogant enough to think that they could have gotten away with all that speaks volumes.

I will get a PS4, maybe two years from now, when there’s a lot of good Japanese exclusives.

And if the Wii U ever starts getting third party support again and somehow manages to scratch up 20 amazing exclusives, then I might pick one up when the system is about $150. I’m not holding my breath on this one.

#34 10 months ago
  35. Sini

Nope, no desire to get xbone, but ps4 complements my pc nicely.

#35 10 months ago
  36. tCruzin

X1 at launch and PS4 next year. Hopefully MS can implement some of the policies they reversed in a few years.

#36 10 months ago
  37. fengato

PS4 is a no-brainer, though both for me. Reversing what I did last gen, the PS4 will be for everything bar M$ exclusives (I’ll let XBL lapse periodically). Not a huge fan of Halo 4, though I’m too invested to simply not play Halo 5. Will also be nice to get my hands on Titan Fall next year, and to play Forza 5 whilst Kazunori and co get a PS4 version of GT out. Can’t wait!

#37 10 months ago
  38. Digital Bamboo

Nope. Plenty to play in the current gen still.

Will pick up a 3DS next, U in a year or so, & PS4 3+ years down the line.

No time for an Xbox One.

#38 10 months ago
  39. Gheritt White

Astroturfing. Astroturfing EVERYWHERE.

Looking like PS4 for me, but not buying either until Xmas 2014.

#39 10 months ago
  40. laughing-gravy

Yeah there does seem to be a lot of artificial grass around nowadays! Reputation management I think it’s called.

#40 10 months ago
  41. Lengendaryboss

Everybody gets one, then two.

#41 10 months ago
  42. Cobra951

@41: Very possibly. I certainly won’t be getting both at once. I’m not getting either one at launch. I’ll wait to see how the whole DRM thing plays out, and for a solid library of titles to be released. What I have now will do fine until then.

#42 10 months ago
  43. TheDarkWeapon

Silent Hill 1 Remake… do it, don’t f*ck it up, and let it be awesome.

#43 10 months ago
  44. sh4dow

“In the end”, yes. When they’re like $150 on ebay. Then I will think about it, depending on how great the exclusives really are.

#44 10 months ago
  45. zoopdeloop

At some point Ps4 and WiiU.
    I’m amazed that some people keep saying that Ps4 has no games(just like with the ps3).while One does?they both have mediocre exclusive titles for now.

The thing is Xbox360 had some pretty good exclusives on it’s early years but after a while nothing.While Ps3 started off slow and then year after year they had an avalanche of exclusive titles that some surpassed 360′s in terms of quality,quantity.The whole catch with ps3 was those multiplatform titles that were poorly ported over…which isn’t an issue now with One and Ps4

#45 10 months ago
  46. ps3fanboy

WRONG! this hardcore gamer will only buy the PS4 because it is the better one…

#46 10 months ago