Xbox One could support Windows 8 apps thanks to “common core”, suggests Microsoft exec

Monday, 1st July 2013 15:30 GMT By Dave Cook

Xbox One consists of two ‘engines’, according to Microsoft’s vice president of developer and platform evangelism Steve Guggenheimer. The first is for all things Xbox One, while the other looks after Windows 8 processes. He has suggested that anyone looking into Xbox One development should take a look at Windows 8 apps first, hinting at a deeper cross-over between the two.

The Verge reports that during Guggenheimer’s discussion session at Build last week, the exec showed a basic Windows 8 web app running on Xbox One, and said, “Xbox One has two engines, it’s got a gaming engine and it essentially has a Windows 8 engine.

“Nothing to announce today, but when I talk about that common core you’re seeing that common core in action, being able to target other devices over time that run the Windows 8 engine. If you want to know about how to get a head start about thinking about developing for Xbox One, the logical thing to do is go build Windows 8 applications.”

That’s it for now. It’s a short nod to some sort of Windows 8 convergence on all supporting platforms, but we’ll keep our ears to the ground for further insight.

Would you like to see a cross-over between Windows 8 apps and Xbox One? Let us know below.

Thanks GI.biz.

1. TheDarkWeapon

Nobody wants this, thank you I already have a PC………

#1 1 year ago
  2. xBASSxMONSTAx

I also have a PC. No thanks Microshaft.

#2 1 year ago
  3. shikamaru317

This isn’t the first time a Microsoft employee has hinted at the possibility of Windows 8 aps on the Xbox One. Shotly after the Xbox One unveiling, someone from Microsoft said that while Windows 8 aps won’t be supported out of the box, Windows 8 ap store developers would be able to port Windows 8 aps over easily due to the similarities between the Xbox One OS and Windows 8. A big deal has been made about how much indie support the PS4 has, but I think it’s fair to say that Xbox One could easily be a dark horse on the indie front, assuming a decent number of Windows 8 ap store game developers decide to port their games over to the Xbox One.

#3 1 year ago
  4. Zeydlitz

Noadays Windows 8 has 2 APIs: old WinAPI and new WinRT. It seems that Xbox One would support last API, not older one.

#4 1 year ago
  5. Gheritt White

I just think it’s a bit funny we have all these new handles popping up with words of support for the Xbox One. Microsoft may not know “community”, but they do know how to spend, and you can buy comments. FACT.

#5 1 year ago
  6. Cobra951

There are plenty of fanboys blindly rooting for their one true love. Yeah, it’s possible that we have paid trolls on board, but I think that would be a waste of money. Opinions on the internet cancel out with or without additional payroll.

#6 1 year ago
  7. machy

(Y)

#7 1 year ago
  8. G1GAHURTZ

@5:

So you agree with this guy: http://www.vg247.com/forum/topic.php?id=14944#post-55767

But anyone who speaks well of the X1 must be doing it for money…?

#8 1 year ago
  9. Roxor

Damn it! F them for giving us more options, F#&$ them to hell, I don’t want options, it is too hard for my head to understand. I already own a PC so why do I need a console that has Netflix or can watch videos? Come to think of it I have a pretty good gaming rig, why do I even need a console?

Why is this so hard to understand. Just because YOU like things a specific way doesn’t mean others feel the same way. But if anyone doesn’t suck Sony’s dick then they are an MS employee right?

I’m not a MS employee, I like both console (and will get both consoles). However the more I read comments from these fanboys, the more embarrassed I am to be called a gamer. These comments are pathetic, and reek of desperation. Instead of discussing what kind of options this could bring to the table, you would rather talk shit, as if you know what the billions of people on this earth think. Once you get past all the hate, and learn to see differences in things as a good thing life is a lot better. I’m glad to see these two consoles going in different directions, if gives me more different experiences. I don’t want the same thing.

@1 You are here by decreeing yourself God and saying that “Nobody wants this”,because you know everything? Count me as someone who is interested, and wants more features (even if I don’t use it, I want the option). And given the fact that MS is targeting more of the non-traditional gamer, I am sure there is more interest in using Win8 apps that what you think “nobody”.

I don’t own a WiiU, don’t see the point in owning one personally but I know there are plenty who do, but I’m not going to talk shit about it because it’s not to my liking.

#9 1 year ago