Green Man Gaming’s ’666 sale’ starts today, ends July 6

Monday, 1st July 2013 16:46 GMT By Dave Cook

Green Man Gaming has launched a ’666 sale’, so called because it offers six discounted games, every six hours for six days. The savings are none too shabby either.

You can find the initial savings over on the GMG homepage, but if you check back every six hours they should be updated with new offers.

At the time of writing, you can get the following discounts:

• Killing Floor – was £14.99, now £3.74
  • Star Trek: The Video Game – was £39.99, now £13.59
  • Guns of Icarus Online – was £9.99, now £1.99
  • Lucius – was £19.99, now £4.99
  • Resident Evil 6 – was £19.99, now £9.99
  • Borderlands 2 + Season Pass – Was £39.98, now £9.99

See anything you like? Let us know below.

1. TheWulf

And this is why I love open platforms. You have so many marketplaces that they all tend to fall over each other trying to give you the best price. Yay competition!

Be it Steam, Good Old Games, Green Man Gaming, ShopTo, Amazon, indie bundles, or what have you… it’s pretty great. This is why I keep wishing that there was an open platform console, because with a console you’re screwed both ways — you don’t get these sales, plus you have to pay royalties on top of a box price.

One point I made before with closed platforms is that you can trade in a game and still have paid more for it even with the money back from a trade than someone did on an open platform (plus the person on the open platform gets to keep the game).

There’s just no competition on closed platforms.

Look at Apple versus Android, it’s the same deal there. On Android you have various marketplaces, all of whom are competing with each other, and Google actually actively encourages this (the same way that Valve encourage competition), but on an Apple device you have just the Apple store and that’s that.

Is the lure of a store that has everything but sells everything for twice as much as shops just a short walk away really that great?

I think this is a ‘more money than sense’ thing.

But yes, people should demand open platforms. It’s really about time that consoles became open. Not only would consumers benefit from sales and not having to pay royalties, but they’d also benefit from being able to use mods and being able to customise their system.

And it’s not like those closed platforms are any cheaper than a PC any more. It’s turning into a bit of a con.

So yeah, I look forward to a future when everything is an open platform.

#1 10 months ago
  2. silkvg247

I want the season pass but not borderlands 2 – anyone want borderlands 2 for a fiver if I grab the bundle? Assuming they can be split that is (one would hope so otherwise how do I apply the season pass to my existing BL2)

#2 10 months ago
  3. Arkorvo

@ #2 Yeah they come as separate codes.

#3 10 months ago
  4. TheBlackHole

@1 The competition is fiction. GMG sell steam codes. Amazon sell steam codes. Gamersgate sell steam codes.

the competition is an illusion. Steam DOMINATES this market, make no mistake.

#4 10 months ago
  5. spartan1192

I’ve waited this long to try boarderlands 2. Can’t wait.

#5 10 months ago
  6. silkvg247

So yeah.. BL2 for a fiver or trade for something on my wishlsit.

Any takers? :)

#6 10 months ago
  7. GK

Borderlands 2+S pass,15E,you make a sin if you dont buy it!

#7 10 months ago
  8. sh4dow

@1: It’s not really open as long as many games use Steamworks for DRM.

@4: Well, he did mention GOG though and they don’t sell Steam codes. And that’s at least something.

#8 10 months ago
  9. CyberMarco

Hey silkvg247, currently these are my spare games atm.

Plus HiB 7+8, non BTA with bonus games.

#9 10 months ago
  10. DSB

Awesome concept.

@4 How is the competition an “illusion”, exactly? Steam sold Bioshock Infinite for something like 59 Euro. GreenManGaming sold it for 39 or some such.

That’s a pretty convincing illusion. 10-20 euros convincing.

I’d say that Steam’s dominating position is the very reason why Amazon and GreenManGaming are willing to sell brand new games at a loss in order to gain some traffic.

I don’t recall seeing anything like that in traditional retail.

#10 10 months ago
  11. TheBlackHole

It’s not competition because GMG are having to sell at a significant loss to reach that price point, just to get traffic, whereas Steam will get a fixed cut of the RRP, not sale price (likely 20-30%) regardless of what GMG charge.

Steam are more than willing to let other people make money for them by trying to undercut them, because they know those companies will never make the profit Steam is making, and will be giving Valve a new customer with almost every copy they sell.

It’s like a Mafia boss sending ten street thugs out to sell drugs on the same street. They all try and undercut eachother to get the most sales, but in their race to the bottom they’ve not left themselves with any profit. Doesn’t matter to the boss – he gets paid whatever happens.

It’s an immensely strong monopoly.

#11 10 months ago
  12. CyberMarco

“It’s an immensely strong monopoly.”

Which favors the consumer in the end. You still have an option to chose from what market you are going to buy your game.

#12 10 months ago
  13. DSB

@11 I think that’s a fair analysis, but whether there’s a “mafia boss” or not, the end result is still a competitive market, which – as long as it remains sustainable – will benefit the consumer.

I’d be very interested to see a rundown as to how that economy actually works though. I think there’s very little probability of a game sold on GreenManGaming profiting Valve as much as a game sold on their own platform.

They get something, obviously, but I think it’s less. I think they assume the role as a sub-contracting distributor, taking a smaller cut for simply distributing keys and providing the infrastructure, but of course that’s still a piece of the pie that the eventual retailer won’t be getting.

50% of sales is neither a figurative or a literal monopoly by any stretch of the imagination, and as long as Steams primary influence on the market is that competition is fierce, I see little reason to complain.

#13 10 months ago
  14. TheWulf

That’s exactly what the apologist glosses over, isn’t it?

Won’t somebody please think of the poor companies?

No, no I won’t. It’s up to each company to provide a service that I want, and if they can do that sensibly then they’ll stay in business. There are many marketplaces on the PC which are financially well off, and this is because they provide a good deal without putting themselves out of business. It’s all about undercutting the competition, which can be done whilst still making a profit.

Many consumers however don’t actually realise the benefit of this. They’ll pay $60-80 for a game that costs $40 on the PC, or $20 (or less) in a sale, not so far down the road. With each game you buy, along with all of the DLC, this mounts up. And as I’ve mentioned, even if you trade-in, you don’t get to keep your games. The true monopoly is when there can only be one marketplace, as is the case with closed platforms.

A closed platform doesn’t need to offer you a better deal. They see to it that you pay $60-80 for a new game because there’s no one to provide competition to stop them from doing that. This is what the second-hand market was a workaround for, and you’ve seen how desperate Microsoft almost was to shut that down, in order to keep a stranglehold on expensive first sales.

None of that is a problem with an open platform, as there are no royalties, and there’s no one company (Microsoft, Apple, or Sony) pulling the strings. You don’t have to pay anyone for royalties, and games can be sold at whatever price they’re sold at.

As a responsible consumer, I favour the open platforms, because they allow me to be smarter with my money. When you choose a closed platform, you pay through it through the nose in the long run.

Closed platforms just aren’t responsible consumerism.

#14 10 months ago
  15. TheWulf

Okay, let me break this down.

It’s not competition because GMG are having to sell at a significant loss to reach that price point [...]

Proof?

You’re also being intellectually dishonest as you’re ignoring the fact that GMG don’t solely sell Steam codes, they very often sell games served from their own servers, too.

[...] just to get traffic [...]

Proof?

And frankly, Steam has the same problem. When GMG and other marketplaces are advertised as selling things more cheaply, it raises awareness of them which takes sales away from Steam.

This is why Steam has so many sales.

[...] whereas Steam will get a fixed cut of the RRP, not sale price (likely 20-30%) regardless of what GMG charge.

1.) Your arse is not a valid form of citation. If you don’t have factual figures, don’t invent them. You don’t actually know how much of a cut Steam takes.

2.) You’re again assuming that all games GMG sells are Steam codes, which simply isn’t the case. It shows your ignorance of the market environment.

The rest of the post is just rambling based upon the above fallacies, so I don’t really need to go any further than that.

#15 10 months ago
  16. TheWulf

This comment thread really does smack of apologism and strongly of ‘a fool and his money are soon parted.’ That people aren’t responsible consumers is why we tend to get taken for a ride, and that’s why Microsoft thought they could get away with the XBox One stuff. Often we’ll roll over and take it if it’s convenient enough.

#16 10 months ago
  17. absolutezero

GMG also sell full boxed PC and console games alongside the codes normally thought of when they are brought up.

Alot like Amazon and Shopto and a tonne of other stores operating within in the PC space.

Its all fucking fake though.

#17 10 months ago
  18. DSB

It should be pretty obvious to anyone with even the slightest familiarity with business that a company selling at 25% below RRP is either selling at a loss, or close enough that it makes no difference.

And the only motivation for doing that is to increase traffic, which would be a huge benefit to a smaller retailer like GreenManGaming.

It’s long been assumed that Steam offers the same revenue split as Apple, which is 30/70, and which is pretty great compared to the 50-60% loss (covering manufacture, delivery and revenue split) that a publisher takes on physical distribution.

GreenManGaming is unlikely to recieve much more than 25% considering that Steam (in the case of games like Bioshock Infinite or Tomb Raider) also takes a cut for distribution.

I think it’s NDA’d in the case of digital distributors, but Phil Fish recently confirmed it for Steam and GOG:

Valve themselves say that their revenue split isn’t fixed

But in the case of large publishers, it’s very unlikely that you would see any major deviations.

#18 10 months ago
  19. TheBlackHole

Wow. You are a very angry person.

And you’re also making a very uninformed assumption that I have no knowledge of videogame retail.

But since arguing pointlessly on the internet is rather amusing…

I don’t need to prove anything to an anonymous voice on the internet, but I’ll feel free to share my informed opinion with whoever might want to listen. Thanks for the vitriolic feedback though – Made guessing your age a little easier.

Here’s some facts for you, whether you care to believe them or not.

GMG sells far more Steam codes than Capsule ones. Why? Because a HUGE portion of GMG’s audience are Steam users looking for ‘cheaper than Steam’ prices.

GMG use the lure of a cheap deal to bring traffic in, under the assumption that a buying user will more likely spend with them again, thus justifying the initial loss (protip: they don’t)

Steam’s cut depends on the retailer, but it sits around the 20-25% mark (as they’ve publicly stated, it varies), while their own store split (with publishers) is a standard 70/30 deal. So yes, they get 5-10% less through third party sales, but every one of those sales is to either an existing, or soon to be new Steam user.

“Your arse is not a valid form of citation”
    I don’t believe you’ve been close enough to my arse to know how valid it is.

“If you don’t have factual figures, don’t invent them”
    You do know that just because I’m not showing you a link with someone else saying the same thing, that doesn’t automatically make it untrue, right?

“You don’t actually know how much of a cut Steam takes.”
    Actually, I do. Perhaps you shouldn’t assume everyone who writes something on the internet is uninformed, or not from this industry.

“It shows your ignorance of the market environment.”
    Or more likely, your lack of knowledge about it.

“I don’t really need to go any further than that.”
    With that, I agree.

#19 10 months ago
  20. spartan1192

@6 hey silk ill buy it for a 5. I missed the sale because of work.

#20 10 months ago
  21. silkvg247

@20 Sure thing, add me on steam and we’ll chat tonight (I am rageysteam).

#21 10 months ago
  22. CyberMarco

So what’s the problem with other marketplaces that sale Steam games cheaper than Steam?

Bitching on the Internet just for the sake of it? In the end I don’t care how much revenue GMG/Amazon and co. make as long as I can get the better deal, that’s the notion of the “open market”.

Also GMG is just another middle man, like retail stores are between publishers and consumers. If they gain 10-20% from every Steam game sold and still be in the business I don’t see what’s wrong, win-win situation.

#22 10 months ago
  23. TheBlackHole

I don’t think anyone has a problem with the retailers, the issue being discussed was Steam’s monopoly on the market.

#23 10 months ago