Forza 5′s Xbox One tech explained by Turn 10 – video

Friday, 28th June 2013 17:03 GMT By Sam Clay

Forza 5 will be the sexiest racer ever. Dan Greenawalt explains to VG247′s Sam Clay where all of the tech wizardry comes from, and how Xbox One’s clout makes the racer gleam.

VG247 caught up with Dan Greenawalt after his Xbox One E3 media briefing skit to discuss all of the latest details on the next-gen racer. Greenawalt was so excited by the upcoming title that he let out a cheeky swear just to show how enthralled he gets by cars. He loves cars, you see?

1. ps3fanboy

so how sexy is it gonna be when it cant be run at 4k and will have anti-aliasing issue. not much sexy if you ask me…

#1 1 year ago
  2. Kyle Jackson

Project Cars.

#2 1 year ago
  3. super3001

at least it will be at 60 frames unlike drive club lol

#3 1 year ago
  4. ps3fanboy

@4 only in your wet dreams buddy…

#4 1 year ago
  5. Kabby

Trolling yourself. That’s some next level shit.

#5 1 year ago
  6. monkeygourmet

I know, right?! ;)

#6 1 year ago
  7. machy

it’s a car game there isnt that many loads .. GT on ps3 it’s 60FPS/1080p #dealwithit

and next year around this time everyone whom payed 500$ for the x1 will realize the fact that x1 is way under ps4 ”cheaper”, just wait for the dev to starts optimizing the tools

#7 1 year ago
  8. pcbros

@7 So PS3 is capable of a racer that runs at 60FPS/1080p, yet Driver Club for the next-gen PS4 isn’t running 60fps? lol Wow…

PS4 fanboys are just mad they aren’t getting a true next-gen racer until GT6.5 comes out in two years :P

#8 1 year ago
  9. monkeygourmet

Yeah baby!!!!

This!!!

#9 1 year ago
  10. Lengendaryboss

@8+9
    Thought i read somewhere that Evolution Studios were targeting 60FPS.

#10 1 year ago
  11. Lengendaryboss

@8+9
    Edit: http://www.videogamer.com/ps4/driveclub/news/driveclub_targeting_60fps_1080p_2.html
    Yeah they are targeting it, but its just a promise.

#11 1 year ago
  12. monkeygourmet

Motorstorm would have been a MUCH better showcase! With GAt 6.5 to come…

Oh how I miss Motorstorm… :(

#12 1 year ago
  13. pcbros

@10 I went to E3 (played both Driver Club and Forza 5) and even if they reach 60fps, the graphics just didn’t look that good. Tracks, car models and interior views didn’t look that impressive. I highly recommend no one buy it until they play the limited free version first. Just in case…

I think the battle will be between Forza and Gran Turismo as usual.

@12 True, Motorstorm would have been a much better title. Is Motorstorm still in production or has the series died out?

#13 1 year ago
  14. monkeygourmet

It better not have! :)

My fav Sony game… And a perfect showcase for TEH GRAFZiX! ;)

#14 1 year ago
  15. CPC_RedDawn

@8 & 9

Frame rate really does not matter in racing games. As long as its consistent and does not drop below 30fps your fine. Also targeting a lower frame rate allows the developers to push the hardware further in terms of graphics. For example if I enable Vsync on my PC in a game my GPU usage goes right down as it only needs to render 60fps but this means I can turn on AA and other things as well to improve the graphics whilst still getting perfectly playable frame rates.

Its the exact thing Guerrilla are targeting with Killzone Shadow Fall, they are aiming for 30fps to see just how far they can push the hardware. Then for their next title they might make the trade off of graphics for a faster frame rate. It all depends on the game your playing, killzone has never been a twitch shooter so 30fps is fine. Racing games just need a consistent frame rate for making turns. No need to get bitchy about whos hardware is better than others because you know full well that the PS4 has the more efficient, and more powerful iGPU with more raw shader performance. Launch titles are NEVER a good way to judge the power and efficiency of a console. Wait two-three more years and then we shall see their limitations and how devs get around them.

#15 1 year ago
  16. monkeygourmet

If that’s a thing, then a it’s all cooll! :)

The Wii U got an absolute slagging (and still is), based on launch title performance…

Shmohawks everywhere.

#16 1 year ago
  17. xxJPRACERxx

@15 I don’t agree with you at all on this. For me frame rate in a racing sims is the most important above everything else and I need a locked 60 fps.

It’s much more natural to feel how’s the car behaving at 60 fps.

#17 1 year ago
  18. BrahManDude

this is the only game i’m regretting for not buying the Xbox 1 this year

#18 1 year ago
  19. tatsujin

1.24 TFLOPs for X1. Can’t go any higher than that.

#19 1 year ago
  20. pcbros

@18 – It’s my main reason for thinking of getting an XB1. Infamous 3 is the only PS4 title tugging at me.

The other half is expecting a big Wii U price drop. A $250 Wii U with a game would be perfect :) Smash Bros!

#20 1 year ago
  21. SlayerGT

@15 “Frame rate really does not matter in racing games. As long as its consistent and does not drop below 30fps your fine.”

You need 60fps to have a sense of speed. At 30 it’ll never look as though you’re going any faster than 100 mph. Its one of the reasons I play GT5 over Forza. Once I got use to GT I couldn’t go back to Forza. Drive the X1 in GT5..you see what I mean in a big way.

#21 1 year ago
  22. DrDamn

Are you talking about all car games or just those on the sim side of car games? DC isn’t a sim car game.

But all Forza’s are 60Hz bar Horizon. It’s a lot more consistent than GT too. It just needs some more variety in what it does in my opinion. Bar the re-implementation of drivatar they haven’t said or shown anything which says this is anything more than Forza 4 + prettiness. DC may not be hitting the frame rate target yet, but it’s new IP doing something a little different. I’m more interested in playing it over Forza 5 for those reasons.

#22 1 year ago
  23. SlayerGT

@22 Yeah I think people are gonna be a little disappointed in Forza 5′s feature set. I think Forza 4 + prettiness is wishful thinking. They keep saying “hundreds” of cars, I’m gonna bet it somewhere in the 250-350 range. And like Horizon (and DriveClub) there will be Dlc cars. Its to be a graphical show piece. Vinny I think it was, from GiantBomb, said he thought he heard it was to be “pretty stripped down”, and Jeff cut him off in such a way I got the feeling they weren’t supposed to be discussing that. Then I watch this video and Greenawalt is dropping ef bombs? Smells disingenuous. Just a feeling I get. Idk we’ll see.

#23 1 year ago
  24. pcbros

@23 My issue with GT’s # of cars was that a lot of them were the same car but just a different year (ex. 1995 Nissan Silvia, 1996 Nissan Silvia, etc).

I’ve played GT since it was first released on Playstation and was my favorite racing sim game for years. But when Forza 4 came out, I felt it was better for my taste. I like that all the cars had interior views (not just “premium” cars), the physics were spot on, the tracks looked better and autovista mode was a nice touch for car fans.

And now the competition is between Forza 5 (XB1) and GT6 (PS3). Doesn’t seem too fair. I think Sony should have seriously thought of bringing GT to PS4 as a launch title.

#24 1 year ago
  25. SlayerGT

@24 They spent so much time getting GT to run on PS3, there was no way they were only getting one Gran Turismo out on it.

#25 1 year ago
  26. Cobra951

@21: Forza 4 gameplay is 60 fps at 720p. Replays are 30 fps. It should be no big deal to achieve full frame rate on the next-gen hardware, even at 1080p. Yes, it is important for anything featuring fast motion. It’s desirable in any action gaming.

#26 1 year ago
  27. SlayerGT

@26 Really!? Wow you’re right. Just feels slower I guess. I’m only aware of the model swaps they do for replays and photos. Which never really bothered me. But that probably explains why its only 30fps in replays. Makes sense.

#27 1 year ago
  28. SlayerGT

@26 Shit now you’ve me excited to see Forza 5. The 30fps replays of a 60fps race is probably what makes them look efed up.

#28 1 year ago