Bethesda not interested in social, mobile, has nothing in development for Nintendo platforms

Friday, 21st June 2013 20:23 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

Bethesda VP of PR and marketing Pete Hines has said the company “knows what it’s good at,” and if that means staying out of the social and XBL and PSN space, or not releasing a game on Nintendo platforms, then so be it.

Speaking with Eurogamer, Hines said it’s not that the firm isn’t interested in those spaces, it just has to be the “right” project and “feel right” to begin with – not just pushing something out because everyone else is doing it.

“We have nothing announced in development for Wii U,” he said. “It’s not something that we’ve done anything for previously. I don’t even remember the last time we’ve done a Nintendo title. We don’t have anything now. Whether or not we would in the future is TBD. As for why, I guess I’d rather not go into that.

“A while ago it was social games that were all the rage and [people were asking] ‘why aren’t we doing Facebook?’ That’s not what we do, and now that’s no longer a big deal. So we didn’t run after it and now we’re not running away from it. We’re just going to kind of stick to what we feel is best.

“We don’t have Facebook stuff. We don’t have mobile stuff. We feel like we really know who we are and we know what we’re good at. That’s not to say that we wouldn’t do an iPhone game or an XBLA thing, but it would have to be at a certain time where it would feel right coming from us. If we’re not going to do that, then we’re just not going to bother.

“Those are cool markets and people are doing really well [in it], but that’s just not what we do. And that’s not to say we’re not branching out. We started a new studio out in Austin led by Rich Vogel called Battlecry, which is working on a free-to-play title, so we’re clearly not ‘oh, it only needs to be premium priced triple-A stuff on a disc.’

“We have other stuff in the works.”

Hines also reiterates the firm wasn’t too pleased with “where Prey 2 was” in terms of it’s development, but didn’t elaborate any further than he had previously.

You can read the full interview through the link.

1. DSB

Bethesda may be evil as all hell, but they’re absolutely right on this one.

#1 1 year ago
  2. Lord Gremlin

@1 They are evil as hell. Their horrible treatment of entire Eastern Europe and CIS made me stop buying their games completely.
    Plus, they made some horrible, unplayable messes of games on PS3.
    As for Prey 2, who knows. Pete Hines is a proven liar, so this statement means nothing really.

#2 1 year ago
  3. UuBuU

Is too bad they cannot say no to consoles in general and begin making good RPGs again

#3 1 year ago
  4. actuallyisnotafox

glad to hear, such a dissapointment when devs focus on mobile platforms :/

#4 1 year ago
  5. Blackened Halo

I have always been dreaming about Bethesda making open-world (or at least pseudo-open-world) for Nitendo 3DS since its release :(

#5 1 year ago
  6. yeoung

I bought Oblivion, Fallout 3 and Skyrim on PS3. Of the three Oblivion remained playable always, Fallout was terrible, and Skyrim was rendered unplayable after the fp/s dropped to powerpoint levels due to the save file.

I’ll keep on eye on their forums before I get anything from then on a Sony platform again, regardless of its architecture.

I do love their games though, lord have mercy

#6 1 year ago
  7. Edo

Oh shut up Hines.

#7 1 year ago
  8. ps3fanboy

even if i dont agree with Bethesda all the time. i must say this i agree with them on this one. mobile games are shit and have nothing to do with real games…

#8 1 year ago
  9. dkpunk

@6 I wouldn’t buy any of their ps3 ports. I had skyrim on ps3 and it was horrible. I had to disable autosaves clear my inv etc. Just it up on pc or xbox. Much better experience.

#9 1 year ago
  10. Atmey

Yes, just be more interested in reducing the number of bugs and CTDs.

#10 1 year ago
  11. TD_Monstrous69

@1&2 I find it so funny when idiots like you two throw around terms like “evil” when it comes to describing video game companies. Sure, they have some shitty business practices, but evil u say. How? Do they defraud financial markets? Do they use slave labor to manufacture discs? Are they outpolluting oil companies? Do they eat newborn babies? See, it’s things like this that would constitute an evil company in my eyes, though for you folks, it seems your definition of evil is much more petty than my thoughts. Now don’t get me wrong, I don’t see Bethesda as any angels, as I’ve said before, they have some shitty practices that quite frankly, with this new incoming generation of consoles, they shouldn’t have any excuses as to why it is they can’t get their shit together, and deliver a working game on all platforms. But none the less, I admire the philosophy that Pete Hines was talking about.

#11 1 year ago
  12. karma

Yeah but ES Online, thats kinda social. If they have success with that, then will they branch out further in that field in the future?

Guess I’ll cross my fingers that they don’t have success with it, since online / social gaming doesn’t interest me. I really like the large single player open world RPG’s they make. There is literally nothing else that can compete with those games in my book. They keep me entertained for years.

#12 1 year ago
  13. CaptPierce

So they’ll keep their amazing, glitchy and buggy messes where they belong? Way to stick to your guns Bethesda!

#13 1 year ago