Rayman Legends Wii U was delayed over poor sales projections

Wednesday, 19th June 2013 10:49 GMT By Dave Cook

Rayman Legends suffered a well-documented delay earlier this year, and Ubisoft has come forward to say that the Wii U build was postponed following poor sales projections of the title.

Speaking with GamesBeat, Ubisoft CEO Yves Guillemot explained the delay. “What happened was that we saw the Wii U was not going to sell enough of those games,” he confirmed.

“The game is going to be fantastic, and we didn’t want those creators to wind up in a position where even after making a fantastic game, they didn’t sell well enough. We decided that we had to come out on enough machines that players can try it out on any one that they have, and give more time to both improve the game on the Wii U and create versions for the other consoles.

“I think it was the right decision for gamers and for the team. My role is to make sure that the team is happy with the quality of the work they do and the reach they can have. The quality is there now, because they had more time. They’ve expanded the possibilities of the game. It’s much bigger content-wise. We have new bosses in key levels and so on. The experience is much more complete.

“I think it will be one of the best games we’ve ever done. Sometimes we have to go against the urge to get to market too fast. We have to make sure we give enough time and resources to our creators to they can reach the potential in their games. This time, they were very close to excellence, but not quite there.”

The discussion echoes statements from Ubisoft that said it wants Nintendo to sell more Wii U consoles before it commits to any more console-exclusive releases.

Do you think Ubisoft made the right move here? Let us know what you think below.

Thanks Nintendo Life.

1. Francis O

I hope it all works out for Ubisoft.

#1 10 months ago
  2. tezzer1985

UbiSoft are shaping up to be the next dominate 3rd party publisher, they have excellent games in most genres that are big AAA titles…only area they don’t have that is sports and FPS besides FarCry

#2 10 months ago
  3. elem187

As much fun as this game is going to be, there is way too many games I want this year and this title just doesn’t rise to that level that makes it a day 1 purchase for me… The only Ubi game I will day 2 (I always wait for reviews first) this year is watch dogs barring the reviews go above 8.5 avg… Everything else I may hold off until we get sales… They are releasing directly in competition with Nintendos first party buzz saw (Pikmin 3, WW HD, SM3DW)

#3 10 months ago
  4. Hirmetrium

I love this statement. Poor sales projections? How about projecting NONE? Because you DIDN’T RELEASE THE GAME? Even fewer people will buy it now because of the delay, so they have only shot themselves in the foot.

The logic of publishers I quite honestly find baffling.

#4 10 months ago
  5. Clupula

In other news, water is wet.

#5 10 months ago
  6. OlderGamer

Sometimes games come along that drive and increase system sales. This could be one of those games. Because taken to the extreme, why do a next gen game at all(PS4/X1)? Neither of them have sold anything and have zero install base. Yet the games coming out for those system will drive system sales.

A universal appealing game to sell the system beyond core buyers at launch was one of the systems major problems. There was no Wii Sports.

I think Rayman would have helped, but totally understand where ubi is coming from. Their job is to sell software, not move hardware.

#6 10 months ago
  7. DrDamn

I think Nintendo should have pushed for this at launch but then it would have shown up NSMBWU in my opinion. It’s a much better game from what I have played of it.

#7 10 months ago
  8. OlderGamer

I agree Doc. I wonder what would have happened if Nintendo held onto NSMBWU and made a bid to either publish Rayman or make it console exclusive(aka MS treatment), and then later, as games slowed down fill in the gap with Mario?

#8 10 months ago
  9. DrDamn

That would have been a cunning plan if Rayman was ready. They could have done with the extra time on Mario too.

#9 10 months ago
  10. The_Red

Glad to see an honest reply regarding the situation instead of usual sugarcoating, PR spinning or downright lying.

#10 10 months ago