PS4: Gara explains new PS Plus subs, cross-game chat & more

Monday, 17th June 2013 13:12 GMT By Dave Cook

PlayStation 4 users will be required to pay for a PS Plus subscription if they wish to use multiplayer gaming on Sony’s new console, and Sony Computer Entertainment UK chief Fergal Gara has shed light on what the next-gen service will offer gamers.

Speaking with OPM, Gara recalled Sony’s aims when considering paid-for multiplayer subscriptions, and said it was something the company would, “agonise over for a very long time,” before coming to a decision.

Gara added that the paid tier has helped Sony price PS4 consoles at a reasonable cost, as the subscriptions will help the company recoup its spend in bringing the console to market. He also said that the money will help Sony establish and maintain a world-class online network that is both resilient and full of social tools.

The new PS Plus subscriptions will not apply to PS4 alone, as Gara said, “it applies across three consoles, includes content across all three consoles,” suggesting your monthly payment will grant access to multiplayer and extras on both PS3 and PS Vita as well.

Gara reiterates that subcribers will get a free version of DriveClub at PS4′s launch, along with other, unannounced bonuses similar to those enjoyed by current PS Plus subscribers.

Finally, Gara confirmed that cross-game chat is now a thing in PS4.

What do you make of the above? Let us know below

1. Bam007

Considering cross-game chat has been possible since the launch of the Xbox 360, it is about damn time Sony have implemented something similar for their own console.

PS Plus, in terms of value, makes up for itself. ~$50 and you get access to over $400 worth of content. Sure enough, you must remain a PS Plus member for the content to be accessible, but then for an extra ~$50, you get a further $400 to the already $400 worth of content you have access to.

Microsoft finally realised that free games are a good thing for premium members, but it’s not good when you are offering games more than 3 years old.

#1 10 months ago
  2. Bloobat

Interested to see what the limit is for amount of people in Cross game chat… I would guess more than ample but would be good to get a figure.

Also want some clarification on if our PS3 Headsets will work on PS4, the controller has a 3.5mm audio jack so I guess wired headsets are fine but would love for my official PS3 bluetooth mic to work with the PS4!

#2 10 months ago
  3. karma

I’m going PC if I cant play online without a charge.

I don’t care about premium online services, I just want basic access to the content on my game disk. Not all of us are frequent MP gamers.

I have no problem if Sony wants to offer premium with extra online perks, but don’t block me out of the most basic functionality my games offer. I already pay my ISP for internet connection, I’ve already paid the game makers for the software, and if I buy a PS4, I would have already paid Sony for the machine to play it on. Its not fair to erect a tollbooth on a road that I have already paid to have access to.

#3 10 months ago
  4. CyberMarco

I still can’t understand why everyone was going nuts regarding cross-game chat. Personally I find it a bit annoying, as when I’m playing a game on Steam, I don’t want anyone to bother.

#4 10 months ago
  5. CycloneFox

“it applies across three consoles, includes content across all three consoles,”

@Dave: That doesn’t say anything about PS3 and Vitas MP. Those will stay sub-free, as they are today.

Also: It’s not only three consoles, it applies to four consoles. There are PSP games and discounts in your plus-sub, too and you use your SEN account on the PSP (Where you might have purchased PSP games discounted or freely from the Plus sub).

#5 10 months ago
  6. machy

since a lot of psn users are plus i think no one is complaining .. and also this will mean better online … it’s more then welcomed

#6 10 months ago
  7. mickey2002

@1 BAM

“Party” chat can NOT be done on the PS3 because of a issue with the amount/how the RAM is placed. Xbox has 512mb overall shared ram. The PS3 has 256 MB system and 256 MB video. So can’t be done no ram open to it.

You do get to keep the games, Microsoft are giving you thou even if your sub goes but like you say who hasn’t got all of them already, 6 more games to come after AC2 and Halo3 in July. Bet I have every one

#7 10 months ago
  8. backup

Pee ceee is dead

#8 10 months ago
  9. DrDamn

Interesting that the XO has dropped pack-in headsets and PS4 has picked them up. I thought pack-in headsets for the 360 was a really important thing for online gaming on the platform. Will 360 headsets work on the XO?

@Dave
    “suggesting your monthly payment will grant access to multiplayer and extras on both PS3 and PS Vita as well.”

For clarity. I think they already clarified PS3 and Vita MP will remain free, and a single PS+ sub does already get you PS3 and PSV goodies.

Have Sony ever released PS+ take-up figures? Just going off my friends list I did a quick spot check on friends who have logged in in the last month. Over 50% had the + symbol next to their name indicating subs.

#9 10 months ago
  10. grizzlycake

I feel the same way. I’m intrigued by the PS4 and I’ll probably get when it’s had its price drop and a shitload of games out. But I won’t be buying PS+. The free games and shit don’t matter at all to me, I barely get around playing the games I’ve already bought.

It’ll be a singleplayer only experience for me.

#10 10 months ago
  11. spartan1192

@ 3
    You do realize toll booths provide revenue to maintain those highways you use on a daily basis. Same thing goes for paying for online service through PS. Pay 50$ and the extra revenue generated will allow them to finally create something that will rival what MS has with Live.

#11 10 months ago
  12. karma

#11 My ISP maintains my connection, they are the tollbooth. Thats what I pay them for. I go online and my games provide the software I need to connect. My PC runs the games. I don’t need or want extras with a second tollbooth thrown in my way that has nothing to do with providing me an actual connection to the internet.

#12 10 months ago
  13. DrDamn

“Its not fair to erect a tollbooth on a road that I have already paid to have access to.”

I understand the sentiment, but I also think we as gamers need to recognise the infrastructure behind what we play and the costs of it. It’s not a tollboth on the road but the destination at the end you are being asked to pay for.

On a related point Sony have been experimental in separating out SP and MP elements of games. UC3, Starhawk and KZ3 for example can all be bought as SP, MP or combined packages. The recent PS4 UI demo/advert thing also hinted at this as the guy who “don’t got” Killzone Shadow Fall goes to download it and there were SP and MP versions there.

#13 10 months ago
  14. DrDamn

It’s a lonely multiplayer world without any servers …

#14 10 months ago
  15. Hybridpsycho

PC Master Race gamer here, but you’re wrong.

You payed for the console to play on it, you never payed anything when you bought it for the online service that they will keep updated and open for over 10 years.

Just cause you buy a car doesn’t mean you won’t have to pay tax to be able to drive on the roads.

Complaining about the 50$ a year for PS+ subscription is moronic. I guess they could’ve skipped it and instead charged 100-150$ more for the console. I prefer paying that sum over a few months.

#15 10 months ago
  16. karma

#14 /15: Your ISP provides the infrastructure, and your purchased games provides the software. Your platform maker only provides the machine to run the software. Its no different than a PC.

They’re asking us to pay extra for additional services that many of us don’t want or care about.

#16 10 months ago
  17. backup

PC Master beggar is suits better

#17 10 months ago
  18. DrDamn

#18 10 months ago
  19. gamereck36

I just signed up for PS+ and love every bit of downloading games for free that I can enjoy. Besides Sony has given me enough free online play that I am happy. Now give me some cross game chat.

#19 10 months ago
  20. karma

@16: “They provide a server network which supports interaction with your friends, chat, cloud saves, game streaming etc.”

These are services that are non essential. And in fact some games include in the software anyway.

Again, if frequent MP gamers want these extras then by all means, let Sony offer premium for you guys. But I don’t play online very often and I don’t need those things. I just want basic access to all of the content on my game disk, the same as I get on PC.

I don’t see why I should have to pay the bill for other peoples gaming habits.

#20 10 months ago
  21. Belmont

The guy has a point, we heard it a billion times that XBL was better than PSN without noticing that XBL is backed up by money that comes for online play. I think paying for MP as part of PS Plus is quite fair. One PS Plus sub will net free games (on up to 3 platforms !) on monthly basis and discounts and more.

#21 10 months ago
  22. Keivz

@20 Agree 100%. It’s free on the PC and has been since time immemorial. If you believe you are getting something extra by suddenly being charged for it, you’re placing too much trust in profit driven corporations.

Oh, and the following is a moronic statement: Complaining about the 50$ a year for PS+ subscription is moronic.

#22 10 months ago
  23. DrDamn

Haven’t SP only gamers been subsidising your basic MP gaming habits for years already? Were you as pissed off for them?

At least this puts the cost on the people who want to play MP and gives them some extra tangible benefits in the other features of PS+.

#23 10 months ago
  24. Kieran

some ppl are saying that the ps plus version of drive club has less track & cars as the retail version is this true ?

#24 10 months ago
  25. DrDamn

I think it is yet to be clarified. There is an implication the free version is cut down in some way, but that’s not been detailed yet.

#25 10 months ago
  26. Kieran

@25 cheers lad :) i hope it isint the case looks good

#26 10 months ago
  27. MasterMiller

@ Karma
    for the 50$ you pay for a whole year they give you a 60$ game(drive club PS+ edition) right at the start then every month a free game(about 10$)
    and many discounts and paying for the servers means better servers(like Microsoft).so to sum it up you get about 180$ worth of content for 50$.
    I personally think that’s a sweet deal comparing to Microsoft.

#27 10 months ago
  28. Kieran

and microsoft doesnt allow you to purchase a second hand game without paying an xtra fee microsoft is using the X1 for one purpose there using it to squeeze as much money as they can out of people who buy it

#28 10 months ago
  29. mojo

You dont buy plus for the MP.
    You buy it for the free games and the discounts.

single best service ever.

#29 10 months ago
  30. ps3fanboy

peecee master beggar = hot topic clown *flush toilets*

#30 10 months ago
  31. Kieran

@29 still bit weird why there charging for mp if their handing free games for it to i wonder if they make much of a profit from it

#31 10 months ago
  32. Old MacDonald

It is annoying, though, for those of us who don’t play multiplayer very often. PS Plus might not be expensive, but the end result is still that I either have to pay for something I don’t need 90% of the time, or not have the chance to play multiplayer at all. Which does diminish the value of the console somewhat.

#32 10 months ago
  33. NightCrawler1970

So playing GTA multiplayer i have to get PS+?

#33 10 months ago
  34. Lengendaryboss

Playing any Multiplayer game on PS4 requires PS+ barring F2P games (Publisher Decision) , So yes.

#34 10 months ago
  35. DuckOfDestiny

I noticed on the demonstration for how the new UI works, you can choose to download the singleplayer or multiplayer content separately.

It would be great if for those of us that do not want to pay for a PS+ subscription if we could just buy the sinplayer section for cheaper and if we ever do subscribe and want to play multiplayer, then we could just go ahead and buy that part later.

#35 10 months ago
  36. DrDamn

Yep (see my comment @13). Sony have done this post release with quite a few titles. I reckon we’ll see it day of release on PS4 (digital only though I think).

#36 10 months ago
  37. Phoenixblight

No as GTA is on the Ps3 and MP on the PS3 is free.

#37 10 months ago
  38. fearmonkey

Does the PS3 allow bluetooth headsets for games? Does anyone know if you can use a (Non Sony or PS4 branded) bluetooth headset with the PS4?

#38 10 months ago
  39. Phoenixblight

#38

“Does the PS3 allow bluetooth headsets for games?”

“Does anyone know if you can use a (Non Sony or PS4 branded) bluetooth headset ”

You can with the PS3 so I don’t see why not for the Ps4.

#39 10 months ago
  40. fearmonkey

@Phoenix – Thank you :) I was wondering about that. Nice feature.

#40 10 months ago
  41. Sang2

#41 10 months ago
  42. Lengendaryboss

Oh you didn’t clarify which platform, so i assumed PS4.

#42 10 months ago
  43. Phoenixblight

GTAV is not announced for next gen so I wasn’t going to comment on rumors.

#43 10 months ago
  44. Lengendaryboss

@Phoenix
    Well what he said at @33 is confusing as hell.

#44 10 months ago
  45. Phoenixblight

His fault for not specifying. :P

#45 10 months ago
  46. OwningXylophone

@ DrDamn

On the headset thing, I thought that too. I assume MS has dropped them as you will be able to use Kinect as a mic, as on the 360. A bit sucky though as I often plug the headset in and don’t wear it just to silence the whiny kids, now I’ll actually have to mute them!

#46 10 months ago
  47. karma

#41Sang2 “@Karma, don’t worry their are free to play games on PS4 that won’t require you to pay for PS Plus and you can use online free on PSN like always, you just can’t play multiplayer but can enjoy netflix(hulu,etc…), Single player games, free to play games, online browser and anything envolving an internet connection.”

I’m not worrying, since I don’t actually have to put up with it. I’m just not interested unless I get basic access to content that I own on my game disks, like I can on PC. Also I hate F2P games too, but I wont get into that. I’m going PC next gen, and that is all I have to say on the matter.

#47 10 months ago
  48. DrDamn

@OwningXylophone
    Yeah not keen on using Kinect as voice comms. I like to be able to easily mute my own voice when I’m playing too. Besides think of all hilarious the people shouting ‘Xbox Go Home!’ down their mics trying to disrupt yours.

#48 10 months ago
  49. positiveemotions

Best article yet :)

#49 10 months ago
  50. NeutralBlade

As a person who’s never paid online subs, (free online gaming on the PC, or on console at a friend’s house), I think it’s a good thing to support Sony in this particular case. Such support will only bring more value to Sony’s network.

Xbox converts surely won’t have an issue with it, and while some Sony fans may not like it, it was kind of obvious this was going to occur. And besides, the PSN sub will likely go on sale in the future was well, so it’ll be worth it.

When I do get a PS4, (within the next 2 years), I’ll support the PSN if it suits my tastes at that particular moment. Overall, I don’t have an issue with it personally. I’m sure I’ll purchase a sub, rather than not.

#50 10 months ago