PS4: 500GB hard drive can be swapped-out by users

Tuesday, 11th June 2013 09:58 GMT By Dave Cook

PlayStation 4′s on-board 500 GB hard drive can be swapped-out by gamers, Sony’s Shuhei Yoshida has confirmed.

Yoshida confirmed the feature on Twitter this morning:

Shacknews spotted the tweet and added that like PS3, PS4 uses a notebook-style 500GB hard drive that can be replaced by users if need be. Xbox One however, does not allow hard-drive swapping.

What do you make of the above?

Also, consider these things:

Sony E3 2013: PS4 is $399, no changes to used games.
PS4 will be region-free for games, Yoshida confirms.

1. MidlifeAxe

They just keep giving!

#1 1 year ago
  2. KineticCalvaria

They really are listening to the fans, can’t fault Sony for that.

#2 1 year ago
  3. CyberMarco

Seriously now Sony, you already got me with, wait for it…

KINGDOM HEARTS 3!!!

Another +1 from Sony, good job!

#3 1 year ago
  4. redwood

hahah :) they are just having a ball with microsoft and their stupid decisions.. Sony didn’t even had to show too many exclusives like MS to win people over. And Ms is still in crap even after opening up their cheque books and taking on so many partnerships to bring exclusives.
    like it says on edge under Don’s pic “I am already a demon”

#4 1 year ago
  5. backup

Awesome news just can’t stop

PC beggars and xbots leave u shit system and join Master Race “Sony “

#5 1 year ago
  6. Hcw87

Why do we need to choose only one system? True gamers don’t stick with one system, fanboys does.

I’ll be getting both for sure, as both systems have titles i’m looking forward to. MS has way more exclusives i’m interested in at the moment though. The only thing left for me to figure out is which console to use for multiplat titles, only time will show. I do hate the Playstation controller though.

#6 1 year ago
  7. themadjock

More good news, just as I am upgrading my PS3 HDD to 1TB due to all the amazing PSN+ “Content”

#7 1 year ago
  8. backup

u need x1 for singing and dancing in front of camera which MS will be recording and farmville for PC
    i get that

#8 1 year ago
  9. KineticCalvaria

@8, or for Titanfall… still can’t decide which system, X1 first-party games are looking pretty awesome. :)

#9 1 year ago
  10. Hcw87

I need Xbox for Halo, Forza, Titanfall etc etc.

Just like i need the PS4 for Infamous, Killzone etc etc.

Anyone who has the means to do so, will get both consoles if they got games on both they want to play. Unless you’re a fanboy ofcourse. Which you are.

Sucks to be you.

#10 1 year ago
  11. jevonski

definitely gonna bump it up to a 1TB

#11 1 year ago
  12. polygem

this is cool. 500gb is great and all but i already worried about this a bit anyway because with ps+ the hd can fill up pretty fast. we all know the redesigns have larger hd´s too…but now that this concern has been put to rest as well, nothing stands between me and my preorder.

#12 1 year ago
  13. redwood

@9 dont expect titanfall to stay on x1.

#13 1 year ago
  14. jevonski

@13 isn’t it already confirmed for PC and 360?

#14 1 year ago
  15. Doomsayer

@10 good to see some intelligence around here these days. And yes any decent gamer will get both anyway but that whole fanboy shit is really making me sick….

#15 1 year ago
  16. Hcw87

Yes, we don’t know if it’s a 1 year exclusivity deal yet though. It MAY release on PS4 a year later.

#16 1 year ago
  17. KineticCalvaria

@13,

“Not to say we won’t go multi-platform in the future, but for our first game we wanted to focus on making the best game we could,” said the company.”

Sounds like Titanfall 2 might come to PS4 or whatever there next game is but not Titanfall, at least for a long while anyway. Pretty big reason to go X1, I thought it looked like good fun.

#17 1 year ago
  18. polygem

@15: usually would agree with you. this time things are a bit different though. 360 was my main platform current gen but i wont support the one if they stick to their vison. i stopped renewing my gold sub with the introduction of the ads and it only wnet downhill from there.

#18 1 year ago
  19. polygem

titanfall did nothing to me, looked like a scifi reskinned cod to me, while destiny blew me away…

#19 1 year ago
  20. Hcw87

Titanfall is an exclusive though, while Destiny is multiplat.

#20 1 year ago
  21. polygem

@20: sure, but an exclusive i am not even slightly interested in.

#21 1 year ago
  22. jevonski

@16 it’s just that I don’t see a game that’s released on two gaming platforms as exclusive that’s all, even if they’re the same company.

#22 1 year ago
  23. Llewelyn_MT

PS4 offer looks solid and reasonably priced (unlike MS’s). I would have consider it if I didn’t have a reasonably modern PC. The PC crowd should now get PhysX enabled graphics cards (I hope that technology takes off at last, now that it’s coming to consoles) and leave the XBone in the dust with PS4 tagging along.

#23 1 year ago
  24. undermyrules

buying console just to play exlusives?? rofl you all must be very rich..Id stick with PC unless if someone want to buy me ps4 and xbox1 for my birthday. :D

#24 1 year ago
  25. Doomsayer

@18 yeah i know what you mean. I also dont like the ads and i also canceled my gold account for this reason and since i play online with my pc these days. But still Forza 5 and some other games MS showed are just looking great so far and i dont spend that much time in the menu looking at ads anyway.

#25 1 year ago
  26. GwynbleiddiuM

The gift that keeps on giving, I like that.

#26 1 year ago
  27. OmegaSlayer

LOLOLOL
    People still believe in PR speeches and stuff.
    I think we had the biggest demonstration ever that contracts are toilet papers.
    In the court files between Infinity Ward/Respawn and Activision it was stated that the first Destiny would have been a 360 (and eventually NextBox) exclusive, or at least timed…what happened?
    Destiny has contemporary launch and exclusive content for PS3 and PS4.
    Open your eyes guy, don’t let the fanboysm allow you to gobble all the bullshits.
    If it’s not a first party title, don’t ever ever ever be sure it will stay exclusive.

It’s fun to wage this fanboys war, it’s part of being a passionate core gamer, it’s like supporting a sport team.
    It’s good, it’s ok.
    But being in denial is really sad, especially when we have been proved about the unreliability of publisher’s statements and contracts lots of times.

#27 1 year ago
  28. Bomba Luigi

Exclusiv = Exclusiv on one Plattform.

Titanfall is available for 3 Plattforms. Its not available for PS4, so thats an advantage over Sony, but its still not an Exclusiv. There is more out there than Sony.

#28 1 year ago
  29. mistermogul

@10 – I have the means to get both consoles but I will choose not to get Xbone due to the infamous anti-consumer policies they have decided upon.

Doubt I’ll miss it though as I’ll be more than busy on my Wii U, PS4, PC, iPad, 3DS and Vita. Yay!

#29 1 year ago
  30. GoingPostal13

” I have the means to get both consoles but I will choose not to get Xbone due to the infamous anti-consumer policies they have decided upon.”

^^ This – it’s nothing to do with brand loyalty and everything to do with Microsoft’s policies.

#30 1 year ago
  31. ps3fanboy

GO SONY! GO SONY! GO SONY! GO SONY! :D

#31 1 year ago
  32. sh4dow

So let me get this straight…

-) The PS4 is going to have better hardware than the Xbone
    -) won’t be region-locked
    -) the HDD can be swapped
    -) none (or little?) of that online crap

… AND it will actually cost 100 bucks less than the Xbone?!

You know… while I still won’t get one and Sony shall remain my sworn enemy forever, this is becoming quite amusing to observe.

#32 1 year ago
  33. Kieran

then you clearly have to much money or dont know right from wrong anyone with a brain will choose a ps4 far better value

#33 1 year ago
  34. backup

multiplatform game ? lol

at least u should have said Halo :P

#34 1 year ago
  35. JavelinX

THIS IS PERFECTION!!! OH MY GOOOOOOOOOOOOD!!!!

#35 1 year ago
  36. sh4dow

@33:

I said it before and I’ll say it again… I just got a graphics card for ~300€ that already has ~30% more power than the PS4 GPU.
    While the PS4 has a much better price/performance ratio than the Xbone but if you have a halfway decent PC already, a new graphics card will have an even better one. Especially if you only get one around the time the new consoles will be released.

#36 1 year ago
  37. salarta

Excellent. This hard drive swapping turned out to be a big plus for me this generation, my default hard drive was way too little space and buying a whole new PS3 was too costly at the time.

#37 1 year ago
  38. Rikki

Nice, I have a 1TB in my PS3, I’ll just swap that one out.

#38 1 year ago
  39. Cobra951

One more positive bullet point for the PS4. That’s like . . . all of them, right? Almost. I still prefer the Xbox controller layout, but I played through the PS1 and PS2 gens without my left thumb falling off. I can get used to it again.

#39 1 year ago
  40. DuckOfDestiny

The big question is, is it going to be reformatted each time I take it out and put it back in?

#40 1 year ago
  41. Ireland Michael

@10 “Anyone who has the means to do so, will get both consoles if they got games on both they want to play. Unless you’re a fanboy of course.”

I have been gaming for over 25 years now. My first machine was an Amstrad CPC 464. I’ve owned every major console and handheld in every generation since then. I have no format preferences. I enjoy them all equally, for the original titles and unique experiences they provide.

The Xbox One is the first console in my 25 years of gaming that I straight up *refuse* to buy.

I am not going to give up, hand over and throw away my rights as a consumer purely for the sake of a few exclusives, no matter how good they might be.

I honestly hope the X1 flops, purely in the hope that it serves Microsoft a wake-up call and gets rid of that giant stick lodged up their ass right now.

#41 1 year ago
  42. NightCrawler1970

Hell ya n*gga, gonna back up first than swap a Western Digital 1 TB VelociRaptor 3.5″ Internal HDD, let the pig squealing from his feeling LMAO!!!! offcourse make partitions :P cut the loading time in half specially with GTA 5….

#42 1 year ago