Sony to release PS4 below $400 at retail – analyst

Friday, 7th June 2013 20:12 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

Sterne Agee analyst Arvind Bhatia has stated in an investors note that Sony will release PlayStation 4 at retail below $400 later this year. He said Sony learned its lesson after launching PS3 for the “extremely high” price of $600 in 2006. Bhatia said the firm will release PS4 below $400 even if it loses money on it. He also added that a sub-$400 price point would be a “pleasant surprise,” from Microsoft. Via Gamespot.

1. ps3fanboy

yes… finally… 359 or 399 something like that :D

#1 1 year ago
  2. Sylrissa

If this gets confirmed, then day one purchase for me, under 400 is a good price.

#2 1 year ago
  3. OlderGamer

Believe it when I see it. I am guessing 500usd for PS4 and 600usd for X1. Ofc, could be multi skus, contract commitment plans and more fun stuff. However, if the PS4 is 400usd, and isn’t the same type of system as X1, call me a happy gamer.

#3 1 year ago
  4. The_Red

If Sony follows MS in terms of DRM and used-games, even $1 will be too much for PS4.

However, if Sony does make a normal, gaming console like PS3 and all the other game consoles before it, then I’d be OK with even 450 to 500.

#4 1 year ago
  5. Phoenixblight

Only a few more days and we will find out what prices MS and SOny will be going for at least if they are smart.

#5 1 year ago
  6. Djoenz

Totally agreed :D

Playstation 4 can still be enjoyed old school without an Internet connection at all

#6 1 year ago
  7. The_Red

That depends. If either of one of them is close to 350, then yes, they will announce the price as a positive surprise. Sadly, I’m pretty sure both are around 450 which means that both will play coy for probably 2-3 more months before even addressing the price.

#7 1 year ago
  8. Phoenixblight

THere is no reason that they would be 450. Sony and MS know that 400$ is the sweat spot and that is why they went with hardware that is already in the market and didn’t invest into specialized hardware. They will probably be tiered just like the 360 was at launch with subscription to offset the initial price.

#8 1 year ago
  9. spazman

Built in china, shipping, promotion, plus VAT, plus retailer’s slice all adds up to – it dosen’t fucking matter. We need to see how this fucker is made, is it using a Ps3 chassis and will it go down the MS route?

#9 1 year ago
  10. The_Red

@Djoenz
    I don’t know. Even considering stuff like that, Sony is still undecided in my book. They say it’s not “always-online” and it allows “used-games” but technically, so does MS. It’s HOW the online and used-games work.

@Phoenixblight
    I would have agreed with you a few years ago but over time, I’ve come to realize that gaming companies are dumber and less predictable than any other non-gaming company.

#10 1 year ago
  11. ps3fanboy

the ps4 is gonna be 399 dollars… so suck it up you 599 dollars xbone! LMAO!

#11 1 year ago
  12. Phoenixblight

“If 400 is now considered to be the sweet spot, 6 years ago it was 300 which had that distinction and yet, Sony still went for the whole “599 US dollars”.”

That was the ivory tower syndrome. SOny nor MS can think their brand name is enough to sell anything at a higher price especially with how the market is still struggling.

#12 1 year ago
  13. Lengendaryboss

@PS3fanboy
    Yeah i am just gonna leave this here:

#13 1 year ago
  14. Hcw87

It’s an analyst you dumbass. Nothing is official until E3. And please be here then, so we can all laugh at your misfortune when PS4 is essentially announced as an Xbone with another name, and vice versa.

#14 1 year ago
  15. ps3fanboy

@13 Lengendaryboss, i know the video that xboxfanboys teased us with for years… but this time it is the other way around… karma is a bitch microsofts, haha!.

#15 1 year ago
  16. ps3fanboy

@14 Hcw87, oh, are we a little butthurt here, LOL!

#16 1 year ago
  17. Lengendaryboss

@PS3fanboy
    The difference is Sony launched at that price with PS3 while MS or Sony hasn’t announced pricing for PS4 And Xbone, wait until E3 to make your lovely judgments.

#17 1 year ago
  18. Djoenz

If you are gonna reply to ps3fanboy I cant take you seriously.
    Its common sense he is a fanboy and gets over exited, but also Im pretty sure he doesnt really believe it but he’s just triggering responses you are so foolishly falling for.

I admire him cause unlike most fanboys wether xbox fanboys,ps3 or nintendo he has the balls to show it in his username.

The fact you even reply to his comments is hilarious. I wont take him serious but I cant take you serious as well. Quite fun.

#18 1 year ago
  19. Lengendaryboss

@Djoenz
    Its mainly the emotion pity which causes me to reply him :) But you should remain to take me serious, you have been warned :D

#19 1 year ago
  20. Djoenz

@LB

You stand out on VG247 most definitely bro, but sometimes Im like dude stop giving ps3fanboy and especially Francis the attention.

Man you busting their balls :P

#20 1 year ago
  21. Hcw87

How is he ever getting banned if people don’t voice their opinion about his nonsense illogical posts? He has nothing useful to contribute, ever.

If more people react to him, maybe someone will finally shut him up for good.

#21 1 year ago
  22. Djoenz

Its up to the mods so in the meantime just deal with it.

#22 1 year ago
  23. Lengendaryboss

@Djoenz
    Well now what i plan to try is provoke Francis less but sometimes we clash on opinions (but thats usually his fault) and with PS3fanboy he’s a recent case: like i said its pity is whats causing me to reply to him. I give attention where its due or needed, those two just sadly seem to be at the centre ATM.

#23 1 year ago
  24. Djoenz

Well do it with a comedic twist and then its all good in my book. :D
    I wont do the same it gives me headaches lol.

#24 1 year ago
  25. ps3fanboy

ban the hot topic troll Hcw87!… he is on his high horse with the nose in the sky again, i demand it noaw!

#25 1 year ago
  26. Lengendaryboss

@PS3fanboy

In fact this suits you better:

#26 1 year ago
  27. Digital Bamboo

$399US seems a bit low, but if Sony can pull it off that would sure move a lot of systems (& perhaps force Nintendo to drop the price of a deluxe Wii U to $299 with 2 pack-ins–Nintendo Land + NSMBU or 3D Mario, when it launches.)

EDIT: before taxes.

#27 1 year ago
  28. powerbuoy

It’s funny how people are willing to spend roughly ~$500 a year on phones but a console that’s released every 7 years mustn’t cost more than $400?! I’d actually prefer to pay more and get a more powerful console.

#28 1 year ago
  29. backup

Sony winning straight 4th time killing PC x1 and Wiiu

#29 1 year ago
  30. Clupula

That’s a very good price, if true. I wouldn’t be buying first day anyway (only ever did that once, and that was with the Dreamcast), but I think a price in this range would definitely attract the general public this holiday season.

That is, of course, if it’s true.

#30 1 year ago
  31. monkeygourmet

Did you have House of the Dead 2?!

Man, that game was sweet…

#31 1 year ago
  32. Clupula

@31 – I did not, because, in America, they didn’t have any gun peripheral for the Dreamcast. I can’t play light-gun games with a controller. On the PS3, I bought a Move solely for the House of the Dead games/Dead Space: Extraction.

#32 1 year ago
  33. monkeygourmet

Are you shitting me?

Thats weird as hell. I got a Dreamcast after it tanked. £49.99 (about $60), brand new with Sega Rally 2, Ready 2 Rumble & HOTD 2 and the gun!

Massive bargain! :)

You’ll be able to do that with the Wii U in a few months! ;)

#33 1 year ago
  34. Clupula

Yeah, they were really afraid of parent’s groups at the time, in the States, who were just starting to blame videogames for everything. There had already been a news report on Lethal Enforcers and Time Crisis a few months before the Dreamcast released, so I guess that might have something to do with their decision to not bring the gun over.

#34 1 year ago
  35. monkeygourmet

Ah… Lethal Enforcers big gay pink gun! :) I remember that!

#35 1 year ago