“Wii U could be relegated to first-party only” – Pachter

Tuesday, 4th June 2013 10:07 GMT By Dave Cook

Nintendo needs to turn Wii U sales and publisher support around by year’s end or it risks becoming a first-party only platform, Wedbush Morgan analyst Michael Pachter has cautioned.

In a note to investors, Pachter stressed that Nintendo’s pre-E3 livestream of new titles could prove pivotal to the Wii U’s fortune. “We believe the Wii U release slate on display will be a key determinant of the console’s long-term staying power,” he said.

“With the more powerful PS4 and Xbox One launching later this year, Nintendo risks losing additional share to its console competitors if the quality and volume of content available for Wii U does not pick up markedly in the near-term.”

He added that unless more third-party publishers get on board, there is a real danger of Wii U becoming a Nintendo-only platform “If the Wii U’s popularity does not improve by the end of the year, many third-party publishers may pass on producing games for the console.

“EA recently announced that it had no Wii U games in development, and it remains a possibility that the publisher will abandon the platform entirely. Should other third parties follow EA’s lead, the Wii U could be relegated to a first party only platform.”

What do you make of Pachter’s prediction? Could Wii U become a first-party platform unless publisher and player support is regained? What do you think of EA’s lack of games on the format? Let us know below.

Thanks MCV.

1. Francis O

Pachter: “Fuse will sell 5 million units”

Pachter: “The PS4 will run games at 240 FPS”

Pachter: “The PSP will crush the DS”

Pachter: “The 3DS is doomed to smartphones and tablets”

Pachter: “The Wii won’t sell as much as the PS3 or 360″

Pachter: “Borderlands has been sent to die, it will not sell well”

Pachter: “The Vita will steal the 3DS’ market share”

Pachter: “The Xbox One will sell 100 million units”

Pachter: “I have to generate controversy otherwise my public existence is gone. I do have to admit that I enjoy the attention.”

- This guy is a clown and can’t be taken seriously.

#1 1 year ago
  2. dreamcastnews

#2 1 year ago
  3. G1GAHURTZ

Maybe they should focus on indies…

#3 1 year ago
  4. monkeygourmet

Everyone is gearing up for yearly iterations of franchises: Ubi, EA & Acti being prime culprits.

The Wii U clearly doesn’t fit into that business model at the moment, powerwise and online infrastructure. God forbid someone actually bothers to make something unique for it! :)

The Xbone, PS4 & PC are safe bets because they are almost identical to develop for and already have a strong line up of fans who are familiar with DLC and Subscription models.

The Wii U should see at least 20 quality exclusives in it’s life, and that to me is a good deal as the console will be £129 within a couple of years, maybe even £99 for a base model.

The consoles minimal focus on online and subscription models may be killing it, but to me it’s a huge plus point.

Those very features have completly put me off the Xbox 1 and am still on the fence over PS4 which I think will ultimatly turn out to be a very similar device.

If Nintendo scrap the Wii U and bring out a more powerful console with features from the PS4 / Xbox 1, well… It may attract the big companies but it also goes down the road of DRM etc…

Nintendo have been effectivaly shunned because of market greed.

#4 1 year ago
  5. viralshag

While I don’t agree with Pacther’s complete doom saying for the console, I think there is some truth in what he says. The WiiU is generating zero hype at the moment and it’s hardly been a stunning first year for the console.

I’m curious to see if Nintys non-attendance at E3 means it will get drowned out by the other consoles news.

@4, I disagree, it seems to me that the WiiU is being shunned for essentially releasing a last-gen console. Most people for the last year, gamers and devs, have been saying we need new consoles to boost sales up again.

Obviously that remains to be seen once the new consoles launch but I just don’t see the WiiU as a step forward. I don’t think many people do which is why they’re hesitant in buying it.

#5 1 year ago
  6. Francis O

@5 Viralshag

I think it’s just more of Nintendo hasn’t provided the games for it to sell better.

The problem is Pachter is generalizing, and is completely ignoring the Japanese market. Every single major Japanese publisher has multiple games in development for the Wii U.

And he even got the quote on EA wrong. EA said were not making as many games on Wii U as we are on PS4 and Xbox One.

Not only that, but he is ignoring the horrible reveal the Xbox One had, and how people are bashing the system left and right because of potential DRM, Kinect, and used game issues.

100 million Xbox One’s? With little to no sales in Japan? Please this guy is a joke.

#6 1 year ago
  7. Aretak

So… just like every other post-SNES Nintendo home console then?

#7 1 year ago
  8. monkeygourmet

I would agree with you if we were seeing better and more original games…

COD Ghosts, AC4, BF4 etc… Don’t really display any innovation what so ever..

Basically, no one wants to take a risk and design something from the ground up. Thats partly Nintendo’s fault for having a lower powered console, but the price will reflect that. It will be under half the price of a PS4 in a years time and hopefully with Zelda, Mario et all…

I hope that Nintendo has alot of stuff to show and then a steady stream after that.

#8 1 year ago
  9. viralshag

@6, Regarding the lack of games, I would agree with that too but like Pachter says they run the risk of losing market share the longer the console is out and doesn’t seem worth it.

If by year end the WiiU is still struggling to launch some of the big hitters and the new PS4/Xbox launch with (hopefully) strong launch titles, I could see a lot of people purchasing one of those and then delaying their WiiU purchase.

I’m sure the WiiU will sell eventually, the question is will that be at a time when the console is still relevant? If people just wait for a cheap WiiU option with some first party Ninty must-have games, do you think devs will still be bothered and consider it worth developing for? I’m not so sure myself.

@8, When has originality really ever been a major selling point though? Supposedly that’s what all gamers are after but often sales don’t reflect that at all in comparison to well known franchises.

Look at Nintendo for example, do you honestly think new Mario games sell because they have new gameplay mechanics or because they’re simply the new Mario game? I personally think it’s the latter for the most part.

#9 1 year ago
  10. Dragon246

Yup. Very probable. This holiday season will make or break Wii U sales, no doubt about it.
    And obviously, Ninty fans are again overestimating the Ninty games, they didn’t make GC a hit, same goes for Wii U. They needed a simple,efficient game like Wii Sports and a price point comparable to PS3/360. As it stands now, even deep price cuts which for a while brought WiiU pricing on level (or below) current gen didn’t raise its sales significantly.

Obviously ,Wii U contains lots of innovative games from 20-30 year franchises spanning more than 10-30 games , while 5-6 year old ones are apparently “milked”.

#10 1 year ago
  11. monkeygourmet

As long as it brings some good games to the table, whats your beef?

#11 1 year ago
  12. monkeygourmet

It’s the latter obviously, but also they generally carry a high level of quality, bar a few releases.

It seems like EA, Acti & Ubi are the real winners next gen…

#12 1 year ago
  13. Francis O

Dragon246

The Gamecube wasn’t a hit because Sony had too many 3rd party exclusives of Major Japanese games: Tekken, Monster Hunter, Dragon Quest, Final Fantasy, Devil May Cry, ect.

That’s not the case anymore. The market is completely different. Sony doesn’t have all the exclusives they had in the PS2 era.

Not to mention, Nintendo has more games like Xenoblade, Fire Emblem X Shin Megami, Monster Hunter, Dragon Quest, ect not just Nintendo stable games.

Sony and MS rehash the same shooters all the time. Killzone Shadow Fall is Killzone 3 with better graphics.

#13 1 year ago
  14. The_Red

It doesn’t matter how right or wrong Patcher usually is. This is a simple matter of fact:

- If Nintendo’s huge E3 push with games helps Wii U sales catch up, 3rd parties WILL return to it or at least give it a support on par with GameCube.
    - If Nintnedo’s push and bevy of exclusives for end of 2014 doesn’t help the Wii U’s sales, then the system WILL become a 1st party only system.

#14 1 year ago
  15. monkeygourmet

agreed

#15 1 year ago
  16. Dragon246

@Great monkey,
    I am on pure veg diet right now, no beef please, not even italian plumbers or tanookis.

@13,
    Would you not run away like yesterday and have a debate? I dont really want to waste my time pointing out your innumerable folies for the 3rd time, you already ran away twice.
    Funny you challenge people for a youtube shout match.

#16 1 year ago
  17. DrDamn

WiiU needs to release games which use the second in innovative ways. Something which means that experience can only be had on WiiU. Otherwise there is a danger they have stifled price with an expensive controller they don’t know how to fully exploit.

@Francis
    “Killzone Shadow Fall is Killzone 3 with better graphics.”

Do you know much about the game beyond the demo which has been shown?

#17 1 year ago
  18. monkeygourmet

A nice juicy (princess) Peach it is then! :)

#18 1 year ago
  19. monkeygourmet

Nintendo:

“Hey guys! Can you try and come up with something cool to do on the new pad?”

“We’ve got lots of idea’s, it’s a bit tricky as you have to get out of your comfort zone abit, but you joined this vocation because you are creative right?”

Every other Dev ever:

“It’s too hard! Don’t want too!”

#19 1 year ago
  20. Dragon246

Nintendo:
    Hey guys, we are cheapos. So we would be using 7 year old tech and a gimmick with it. You on for it?

Devs/Pubs/entire world expect hardcore ninty fans:
    Yeah whatever….When is PS4/Xbox One launching by the way?

#20 1 year ago
  21. The_Red

I think the graphical / hardware situation with Wii U has more to do with Gamepad’s cost and Wii’s specs than being cheapos. I do agree that Nintendo sometimes goes for the cheap parts but in this case, they had to compensate for the cost of GamePad.

Also, their previous system was Wii, something on par with a PS2. If they had made a system with PS4 specs, it would have meant a 2 generational leaps for them which would result in insane R&D costs, growing pains and other stuff.

In short, I blame everything on Wii, the one Nitnedo system that made me hate them for years.

#21 1 year ago
  22. Clupula

While I think Patcher is a clueless moron, I think what #14 said is absolutely true. Nintendo’s E3 Nintendo Direct has to blow everyone away with more than just the typical Mario, Zelda, Smash, Mario Kart nonsense, or they are done. Those games will guy them a slight bump in sales, but they will not make Nintendo a force. Neither will Wonderful 101 or Bayonetta 2, for that matter.

They need to have, somehow, have a BETTER lineup than the PS3, 360, PS4, and Xbone combined, in order to survive. That is a very tall order.

The Nintendo faithful will keep the system on life support, but in order for it to get up and dance again, they’re going to have to attract people like me to the system, and that’s something Nintendo hasn’t been able to do since the SNES days.

#22 1 year ago
  23. DrDamn

I’d like to see some evidence that Nintendo has lots of ideas personally. There own output thus far in terms of exploiting the thing they put into the machine themselves to distinguish it has been pretty poor.

There are a couple of nice ideas in Nintendoland, but not much as a compelling experience which helps define the use of the pad.

#23 1 year ago
  24. DrDamn

Are we actually expecting a brand new Zelda this year by the way? I thought the impending Wind Waker remake was more or less an admission ZeldaU wasn’t going to make this year.

#24 1 year ago
  25. Dragon246

@21,
    Oh sure. The reason why X1 is less powerful than PS4 in kinect, obviously.
    However in Wii U case, the trick is not working.
    They cant compete with Sony and MS in hardware grunt, a pure simple fact they learnt from GC, which not only faced a massive defeat from mighty PS2, but more tellingly, also lost from first time entrant MS.
    I am not sure how longer this “Gimmicks sell” thing will float Ninty, Wii U is a prime example for that.

@24,
    No release date, not even a trailer yet, just blabberings about “this is our philosophy for the game”.
    Given how launch window games are postponed by months (Pikmin3), I would be surprised if it even comes out before holiday 2014.

#25 1 year ago
  26. SplatteredHouse

True or false: Many of the Wii U games could be easily altered to run on 3DS instead? Why don’t Nintendo just do that, if they can’t get momentum started with Wii U? Do they need to be in the console space at all.

#26 1 year ago
  27. dreamcastnews

I’m pretty happy with my Wii U to be fair. It’s got some good games that interest me and some that are older games from 360/PS3 that can be had quite cheap if I hunt around enough. I’ll probably get an Xbox One if Banjo Kazooie is actually a platformer and get a PS4 for David Cage’s work and Uncharted. I don’t really want three consoles doing the same thing so Nintendo trying a gimmick works for me – I’d buy the powerhouse ones anyway.

#27 1 year ago
  28. polygem

you love games? support nintendo, they have some of the best, always had…that simple.

#28 1 year ago
  29. ps3fanboy

i tell you guys the wii-uboat is gone and the wii-utanic is back. nintendo will not survive as a first party only, that is a given…

#29 1 year ago
  30. polygem

if nintendo wont survive you are all just a bunch of scumbags

#30 1 year ago
  31. DrDamn

Alternatively the big slew of quality titles on 3DS could be adapted to WiiU couldn’t they? Seems the more sensible option at this point.

#31 1 year ago
  32. OmegaSlayer

#32 1 year ago
  33. Dragon246

If my favourite company doesn’t survive, the entire world is an asshole :)
    It doesn’t matter though that I sold my console, so technically I am also an asshole :)

@31,
    Depends. I doubt they had higher quality assets ready for such a conversion, given how quickly they are churning out 3ds games.

#33 1 year ago
  34. Sini

final fantasy versus is being renamed to FFXV and put exclusively on ps4, last guardian is a launch title;

no one is buying wii u anymore who didn’t buy it already.

#34 1 year ago
  35. polygem

b..b..b…u…t they are not my favourite company :( i don´t even have a favourite company.
    i also have a 3ds btw, but that´s something a sonyboy wont understand.
    are you taking everything serious btw…if that´s the case your “mighty ps2″ phrase is very telling…lighten up man, it´s about games not wars.

#35 1 year ago
  36. Dragon246

are you taking everything serious btw…if that´s the case your “scumbags″ phrase is very telling…lighten up man, it´s about games not wars.

#36 1 year ago
  37. polygem

@Dragon:

#37 1 year ago
  38. Clupula

Children, do not make me turn this car around!

#38 1 year ago
  39. Dragon246

@Porygon,
    Pfft, in a Ninty game? Not in million years.

This one is highly possible though-
    :D

@Clupula,
    Buy a smaller car, seriously. Its easier to turn around :D

#39 1 year ago
  40. ps3fanboy

its to late guys the wii-utanic is BACK at full force, doing its sinking.

#40 1 year ago
  41. viralshag

Doomtendo is much better than Wii-utanic.

#41 1 year ago
  42. backup

kiddy games sells on ninty and PC

#42 1 year ago
  43. livewired500

“What do you make of Pachter’s prediction?”

He’s not really talking to us (core gamers) is he? Just like the PR people for the Xbone. We are not the audience. The remarks are made for anchors for CNN and CNBC.

#43 1 year ago
  44. salarta

You know, I didn’t even know Pachter existed until I found VG247. If that sounds like I’m saying anything bad about this site, I’m definitely not. It’s just pointing out that I never saw anything about him outside here.

#44 1 year ago
  45. MadFlavour

I wish Pachter would die in an aids fire.

#45 1 year ago
  46. salarta

@45: I hope Pachter does not die in an AIDS fire as that sounds quite painful.

#46 1 year ago
  47. Samoan Spider

@46 Yeah, and I’m sure his family would miss him dearly so the whole suggestion seems kinda harsh!

#47 1 year ago
  48. polygem

@Dragon: Touche´

#48 1 year ago
  49. OlderGamer

All I can really add here is that most people just don’t know what they are missing.

If the future of gaming is all about graphics, pay walls, subscription models, online only then no thanks. The only real innovation is see in gaming is new clever ways to monetize.

I think Nintendo will always have a vital place in gaming, because they don’t do what everyone else does. Oh well it is what it is. The console market has turned into a bit of a joke anyways. Same old shit, over and over and over. Very VERY little innovation. And that goes for EVERYONE. At least Nintendo games mix up the gameplay and mechanics.

#49 1 year ago
  50. fearmonkey

@13 – The Gamecube wasnt a hit because it looked like a fisher price designed game console, and was competing with a sleek PS2 and a Monster looking Xbox, no one I knew ever bought a Gamecube, even when they sold for $50 at clearance sad to say…. Not saying the console was bad or had bad games, but the design was too kiddie for many.

Also, you said this “This fall when Nintendo releases a New Mario Kart, 3D Mario, Zelda, Pikmin, ect. The sales will go up.” – I think that is part of the problem, this could literally be sad about every Nintendo console. While I really love Mario games, Nintendo really needs to take more Ip chances, not just rehash Zelda, Mario, Mario Kart, etc. After Rare was sold, Nintendo really hasnt had any new franchises that really make me want to own the console. Pikimin isnt my kind of game, and its not as big as the others. Seriously, Nintendo’s own games are awesome, but they need to create new and exciting IP, instead of rehashing their IP and sticking with it.

Nintendo needs a jolt of red bull or something. I don’t want them to fall, i love them, but I havent been motivated to buy a Nintendo console since the 64. I want to want to own a Nintendo console again, the SNES is one of my favorite consoles ever.

#50 1 year ago
  51. polygem

i personally loved the gamecube and the controller. imho it was a very nice design at the time. i had the purple one…i mean these things are just toys, so why shouldn´t they look like that?

#51 1 year ago
  52. Maabren

Wii U are selling less than Wii at this point and need more third party games, and som good ones too.

#52 1 year ago
  53. Joe_Gamer

Good, keep the shovel-ware at bay, Me and my daughter will happily play Mario party, Mario kart, Smash bro’s, etc. Everyone seems to be under the mistaken impression that Nintendo NEEDS anyone else.

Mario kart sold more copies than ALL the halo games put together lol

That big doofy elephant is gonna roll along at it’s own pace, follow along or get out of the way.

Grown ups will play on PC, kids will want Nintendo, teenagers will play on their iphones(apparently), it’s the other consoles(especially the Nextbox) that seem to be struggling to find an audience of their own this gen.

#53 1 year ago