Sony keen on indies, Microsoft “focused elsewhere”, says Schafer

Friday, 31st May 2013 06:50 GMT By Brenna Hillier

Double Fine boss Tim Schafer has said that Sony has been proactive in reaching out to the indie community, and he’s still hopeful that Microsoft will do the same.

“Sony has reached out to us and asked us our opinions about what we’d like to see with new platforms and they’ve been really good with indies – allowing them self-publish and entering into partnerships and stuff like that,” Schafer told Edge.

“Microsoft has been focused elsewhere up until now, I’ve kind of had my fingers crossed that hopefully they’ll change their minds about that because I think it’s really critical.”

Schafer didn’t seem to mean it’s critical for Double Fine that Microsoft make it easy to get onto the Xbox One – quite the opposite.

“There are just too many options right now for indies as far as publishing goes,” he said.

“Steam is huge, mobile and all of those things are really profitable for indies so there’s too many reasonable and successful alternatives for indies to look towards – we don’t really need to go through the arduous process of acquiring a publisher that we don’t need just to be on a certain platform. I hope [Microsoft] figure it out.”

Schafer is currently hard at work on Broken Age, the adventure funded by Kickstarter, but a second team has launched its own crowdfunding campaign for Massive Chalice, a fantasy strategy and tactics game.

Thanks, CVG.

1. loveaya

Moneycost focuses on spending dollars.

#1 1 year ago
  2. manamana

Microsoft too arrogant to talk to indies or consider their knowledge. They’ll change that standpoint after a year or two.

#2 1 year ago
  3. melonbuster1

@2 after a year they will have sold millions of systems and games.. then they won’t care what hoops they need to jump threw because Microsoft will be the industry leader again. . Right now no one is and they want to believe Sony will be. Sony is broken. . Never to lead again. . Just look at the tv division. . It was the strongest now if you own a Sony hdtv you must be old as hell or dumb.. they are cooked

#3 1 year ago
  4. polygem

their presentation was sooo mainstream and only mainstream i couldn´t even believe it. disgusting really is the appropriate word. at this point there´s nothing left for me on xbox. they killed it. i don´t want to be a part of their shit idea of gaming. screw them. i thought i would feel a little more generous about all that after a week or so but no, it really got even worse. i bought tons of 360 retail games, payed xbl gold for years, bought xbla games and rented movies, changed my gamertag several times during the gen (and payed for it of course) because the platform was important to me, bought three 360´s (or was it even 4?)…then they revealed xbox one. what a joke. it´s kind of funny.

#4 1 year ago
  5. TrickyAudio

@3 Ironic you call Sony a TV division when Microsoft are pointing the Xbone towards being a TV hub.

I think you’re overreacting like most people on this website when people say Sony is dead. Still a massive company with one of the best brands in the world. Just needs a restructure to get competitive again. Which seems to be happening under a new boss.

#5 1 year ago
  6. Clupula

@5 – Nah, he’s just a giant Microsoft fanboy. In the other thread, where Microsoft promised they were still going to have some indie games, he posted, “What indies support? ? Your in big trouble Sony”

Whatever that actually means. I only speak English, so it’s not quite clear, except that he anything Sony/Nintendo = bad to him and anything Microsoft = good.

He’s really a ridiculous child, on the same level as Francis and PS3Fanboy, just on a different team.

#6 1 year ago
  7. Irani

Shame to Sony

#7 1 year ago
  8. The_Red

@melonbuster1

Of course, when your system sells a lot, all the indies will flock to it like they are doing now for 360 arcade. That is why all these indie games like Thomas Was Alone, Hotline Miami and such are on going PS3 and even the FREAKING VITA.

#8 1 year ago
  9. melonbuster1

@6 I love games .. u have had and still have every system made.. period. .. from neo-geo to super graphx. But you made me out to be only about xbox.. no . I see the biases on this site in favor of Sony and I stand up for what’s right. I love my wiiu and my vita.. hell I’m playing god of war now and waiting for the last of us.. I reserved my ps4 and my xbox One. . So please know your facts before declaring my affiliation. . I love games and game systems. Now if you will excuse me I’m gonna play batman returns for my sega CD

#9 1 year ago
  10. viralshag

I can’t imagine the indie scene changing that much from the 360 to the One. Although indie games and XBLA is not my cup of tea, it seems to do just as well as on the 360 as it does on the PS3 – which I could be wrong about but that’s the impression I got.

And focus is elsewhere, it’s a lot broader and aimed at a wider audience. How that changes anything for gamers, I have no idea. If people are smart and look at the industry now, for this hobby of ours to survive on the consoles, these machine need to offer more than just games.

How many of us walk into a phone store and ask for a smartphone that only makes calls? In almost all other tech products, we seem to be more than happy with more features and ideas. But nope, lets stamp our feet and cry that consoles can do more than just games.

#10 1 year ago
  11. MidlifeAxe

‘Sony has been proactive in reaching out to the indie community, and he’s still hopeful that Microsoft will do the same.’

So, Microsoft are touting they’re doing all this great stuff for indies but actually haven’t reached out to them?

@7 Why shame to Sony?

#11 1 year ago
  12. polygem

@10: sure but it´s all about the focus really. ms just pissed over all their loyal xbox customers with the one reveal and imho it was a huge mistake. it would have been so easy to avoid it by being a little more focused on games…or other games than fifa, madden, cod. the way they presented the xbox brand was wrong. i don´t mind some extra features on the consoles but the focus should be games. at least that´s me.

to me the presentation felt like this: ok you´ve been a loyal customer the last few years, thanks for watching our xbox one reveal, but this isn´t for you anymore so would you please fuck off now.

#12 1 year ago
  13. ps3fanboy

you can dream Tim Schafer but this gen micro$haft are not gonna support indie, ever. micro$haft is all about tv, brown shooters, sports and cod now days…

#13 1 year ago