Dark Souls: Ornstein & Smough RIP

Thursday, 30th May 2013 08:09 GMT By Dave Cook

Dark Souls 2 approaches, so VG247′s Dave Cook took it upon himself to try and get the original game finished before launch. He hit a two-pronged problem, however.

“Fuck Ornstein and Smough, seriously”.

That was my thought process after Dark Souls’ most notorious pair of bosses slaughtered me for about the tenth time. Although I grabbed a copy of From Software’s opus at launch I put off facing Ornstein and Smough for over a year.

My character was a level 70-something melee class, wearing the Eastern armour set, Pyromancy hand and the Drake’s Sword. I genuinely thought I was going to walk all over them the first time I sauntered through that dreadful white fog.

Nope. I got absolutely spanked and received a brutal reality check. I wasn’t ready at all, even after all of those hours spent exploiting the Darkroot Garden glitch to level up.

At this point my game clock was sitting at around 40 hours, and the thought of spending more evenings and weekends running around that bastard forest and grinding knights for Titanite Chunks just felt like an impossibility. As Pat often tells us during our shift, “Life’s just too short”.

But I love Dark Souls and Demon’s Souls too much to abandon my quest. So I decided to consult Wiki guides and YouTube runs of the boss fight. I don’t think it’s classed as cheating, given how ambiguous Dark Souls is. In fact, I firmly believe that From Software intended for this helpful community to flourish. It’s a natural extension of the game, a meta-game in itself.

Did you know how to kindle bonfires with Humanity without seeking advice first?

So off I went, farming Humanity off those pesky rats in the Depths, sprinting the Darkroot glitch ad nauseum and ascending weapons over the course of almost another ten hours. I tried facing Ornstein and Smough intermittently to see if I was ready, and they kept on fucking me over.

The problem – I learned – was that I was trying to take down Smough first, and found myself humiliated by mega-Ornstein each time. I found out that you could glitch him into a never-ending cycle of ranged lightning attacks while returning fire with a bow. I saw it done on YouTube many times, but I never got it to work.

Filtering through the wiki guide I found out that the key to winning the battle was to boost your poise and shield strength, as well as using the Lightning Spear – which I had at that point – and Queelag’s Furysword. I didn’t have the latter.

I just kept on thinking that ascending weapons in this fashion was going to take weeks. It was insanely intimidating, but I just decided to shut up, sit down and grind it out, and you know what? One you understand how ascension works it’s really not that big a deal. It can be quick if you know how.

My point is that I wouldn’t have known this had it not been for the player-created wiki guides and YouTube runs, as well as the sheer generosity of my Twitter and Facebook followers who spent a lot of time asking me questions, and racking their brains for a solution to my woe.

I honestly don’t think I’ve been a part of anything like this before. Sure, people can give you pointers, but in Dark Souls it’s an active part of the game. The only other games where I’ve seen this first-hand are Minecraft and Klei’s Don’t Starve.

It’s testament to the fact that gamers aren’t all foul-mouthed, trash talking wankers online, as we well know of course. Instead, we often come together for the love of our hobby and to help each other achieve victory, or to collaborate on mods, charity gaming drives and more. We’re a powerful, influential group of people when you think about it.

Personally, this is a genuinely refreshing thing to see. Not once was I told sarcastically to ‘be better’ or to ‘stop being shit’ when I asked for advice. My floundering, probably stupid questions were never met with any sort of scorn, and I got locked into many long discussions about the intricacies of Dark Souls.

So now, with 50+ hours on my clock Ornstein and Smough are well behind me, and after grinding apathetically for many hours I ended up battering them after about five minutes. I felt like a colossus, and the feeling of jubilation as I saw mega-Smough fall under Queelag’s Furysword is currently unmatched in all my years as a gamer – currently sitting at about 23 years.

I always knew that both Dark Souls and Demon’s Souls held this kind of power, and that every victory truly is earned through perseverance, discipline and true grit. But felling those two monsters really knocked me for six.

My only hope is that Dark Souls 2 can deliver the same, tangible feeling of reward and although they’ve caused gamers a lot of grief since Dark Souls launched, I genuinely hope there’s a boss in there as brutal as Ornstein and Smough to really test our resolve and help us grow stronger as a result.

Do you have any lingering memories of your attempts to slay Ornstein and Smough, or tales of perseverance in Dark Souls at large? Share them with us below and let’s get chatting.

1. Dave Cook

Praise the sun!

#1 1 year ago
  2. salarta

Ornstein and Smough were always a complete bitch to beat. Technically that battle, like nearly all Dark Souls battles, was one where the enemies don’t have cheap tricks. It’s just that you have to be so perfect every step of the way.

I think a lot of the reason that the community didn’t say things like “stop being shit” is because unlike a lot of games these days, Dark Souls is actually difficult. Nothing is handed on a silver platter, it requires skill, intellect, a bit of luck, and in many cases advice from other players so you’re not wasting time using setups that simply don’t work. The difficulty of the game is sort of like a mutual calling card for other hardcore gamers, and at the same time it’s a barrier to entry for people that act like assholes. Either they don’t manage to get that far, or telling other people to “stop being shit” will earn them a public reaming by everyone else that had trouble in that section.

I don’t think I’m going to bother with Dark Souls 2 though. Initial impressions of the game seem like it’s going to be dumbed down and lose a lot of the charm that made Dark Souls and Demon’s Souls enjoyable and immersive.

All that said, congrats on beating Ornstein and Smough! Welcome to the “I beat their asses” club, Mr. Cook. :)

#2 1 year ago
  3. jevonski

ah gotta love dark souls ^^

I didn’t have trouble with these two but the final boss was a tricky one, this has to be the most rewarding game though bosses that are hard to defeat unless you figure it out or look at a guide, not to mention that sense of wonder each new area delivers :D

#3 1 year ago
  4. Dave Cook

@2 “as one where the enemies don’t have cheap tricks” Spot on, you nailed it. The amount of discipline needed during that fight is incredible. Only hit them once if it’s all you can manage, get that shield up at the right time, roll when needed.

It’s just a real lesson in determination and patience.

I’m now currently in the Duke’s Archives as a level 99 character. I killed Gravelord Nito on Monday so I only have three of the four left to beat.

I hear Seath is a bastard though.

#4 1 year ago
  5. Dave Cook

@3 how intimidating is the final boss on a scale of 1-11?

#5 1 year ago
  6. ps3fanboy

@1 Dave Cook, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kJXR280wbEg

#6 1 year ago
  7. salarta

@4: For some reason I don’t recall Seath being too difficult, but then maybe my brain doesn’t think of anything other than Smough & Ornstein and Priscilla as being exceptionally difficult. I know I died a few times to him, but I don’t think it was very many. I also think that my experience with Demon’s Souls got me acclimated to the difficulty of Dark Souls, because I found playing through Dark Souls to be much easier than Demon’s Souls.

I always ended up cutting off Seath’s tail first. It hurts him, and it gets rid of some of his attacks.

@5: Gwyn was the fight where for me at least, if you didn’t know how to parry/riposte, it was time to learn. That was the only way I managed to beat him. He took a LOT of time for me to beat, but I don’t think of him as “difficult” because for me, unlike other bosses where you needed to think through a strategy, you basically watched for the right signs and hit the button at the right time.

I hope this stuff helps! And if I’m spoiling things for you in any way then sorry and I’ll stop.

#7 1 year ago
  8. frostface

Well done on beating Ornstein and Smough. For me the hardest to beat is The Four Kings. I went through crap loads of Humanity just so I could keep recruiting more people to come into my game and help me beat them on NG+++. In the end I think I beat them on my own but it wasn’t without a lot of frustration. But not frustration at the game, but rather at my own failure to learn from my mistakes. It was truly the definition of insanity.

#8 1 year ago
  9. BraveArse

I managed them okay on my first play through when DS first launched. I levelled up through being summoned lots there and then summoned people myself when I was ready to have a crack at them.

But my second play through ( not ng+, different character ), well… I’m stuck there. I don’t know if it’s because it’s less well populated now or what, but getting summoned seems harder. I’ve left it for a couple of months now while I take on Dark Arisen and MH3U. Hoping that when I get back, I’ll hit some kind of lucky streak when there are lots of people summoning.

We’ll see.

I found Seath difficult initially, but ended up farming him as a phantom. He’s actually fairly easy as long as you can dodge. Iirc.

Fave boss of the lot is Sif. /nice doggie/

#9 1 year ago
  10. locus2k1

Grats Dave! Have you got to four kings yet? after the troublesome duo that was the next boss that took a number of attempts for me. Seath is tough, but be sure to have a ring that resists his curse attacks and you’ll beat him in no time

#10 1 year ago
  11. soqquatto

you could also have farmed a couple of humanity… from the rats in the depths, mainly. yeld rate is pretty high.

#11 1 year ago
  12. orakaa

Oh boy… Smough and Ornstein… what a pain…
    I found it was a HUGE spike increase in difficulty on the game’s pace, like a wall, telling you to go back and come back later when you’re ready. Not saying it was a bad thing, but it REALLY felt like the first minutes of Demon’s Souls, when you get confident… only to get crushed like a bug (either by the first monster, or the Dragon God)

To me Smough and Ornstein were the only boss with which I had a real problem, along with the 4 kings (quite a nightmare as well).
    Gwyn was the easiest fight of all for me… but it’s all a matter of playstyle. It was easy because the way I played fit, and I didn’t have to change it, which is why I’ve never died against him.
    Seath can be quite hard… if you have no idea on what to do. If you read the wiki and/or the Youtube videos, Seath is really easy. It’s different than Smough and Ornstein, where, even if you have good advices, you’re still (very) likely to end up crushed. Honestly, nothing come as close as this boss.

Anyway, congratulations and welcome to the club. It almost make me want to play the game again to do the Artorias of the Abyss extension (haven’t done it yet) and to get my platinum trophy (only needed some weapons to farm/ascend)

#12 1 year ago
  13. Dave Cook

@7 Can you cut the tail off with any weapon or is ranged better thanks to those crystal attacks?

@8 Thanks :D Four Kings was a bit of a shock when you first try them.

@9 Is there any stats on how much harder O & S are non new game+ Sounds quite frightening.

#13 1 year ago
  14. orakaa

@13: I think you can’t cut off the tail of any boss with a ranged weapon/attack. You’ll have to give the beast a hug

#14 1 year ago
  15. heroes159

For Ornstein & Smough , I remember i summoned someone to play with me. I felt like cheating though. I beaten most of the bosses alone. The Hardest boss i found is Black Dragon Kalameet( DLC boss). he is so damn hard to beat.gave me a really bad time. Four Kings is very easy to beat. I beat them with one shot.Trick for beating 4Kings is that You just have to be very quick to kill them.Nito is also not that hard.Never gave me a Trouble. also For the final Boss , I tried like 10 times. I got very very close to Beaten him, But he alwas seem to hit me in the end. After that I remember I had something in my Inventory to Regenerate Health when eat.Im sure i got them From the DLC location.. I used one of it when i Face the Gwyn, & killed him.

#15 1 year ago
  16. EvilMonk

Hey everyone…

I’m on playthrough 7. S&O actually seem to get easier, but I STRONGLY recommend having at least an increase of 50 lvls per playthrough. Grinding gets utterly retarded after a while, but at my lvl, the Darkroot 4 are actually worth farming again. (Roughly 8Ksouls each and 4Ksouls for the “Axeman”)

The first NG+, S&O and well, everyone else too increases in difficulty by a factor of 3. Your rewards do too, but it is a…ahem…noticable difference in how hard everything is. At my lvl (301), I am starting to notice that certain “easy” enemies are no longer 1-hits to kill.

You’ll start with rare weapons (OMG, this is AWESOME!!!eleventy!!11!) then discover that they outlive their usefulness as you lvl-up your stats. It was a sad day when I retired my +5 Black Knight’s Halberd, but the Occult halberd worked beautifully with my high flat stats. (50 in all 4 attack mods, STR, DEX, INT, and FAITH). Then I discovered my new mainstay, the Greatsword of Artorious! Awesome weapon…

Congratulations on your win! If you need a summon and you get high-ish lvls, look for me BAKLTHEEVILMONK. I’m usually around. Higher lvls, look for “Frederick III”. Extreme high lvl who loves playing for the sake of the game.

And yes. I want to truly “Beat the Game” all 15 times. Just like Kirito in SAO, I’m a “Beater”…

#16 1 year ago
  17. jevonski

@dave the last boss is about an 8 or 9 I’d say till you figure out the timing and when to dodge his grab attack but he’s fast has a really long range and slaps you all over the place xD

really fun battle though :D

#17 1 year ago
  18. polygem

…i feel some real fear creeping up on me now. i am only 30+ hours in and just arrived at anor londo and got rid of those gargoyles (walk in the park now:), farming the knights for a while now before i want to progress. the Boss fight you mentioned here is still ahead of me. seriously, i fear it now. i want to finish this game no matter the cost. screw all the other games. this is top priority. this is why this game is so great (and the best survival horror game ever made despite it´s fantasy Setting btw). i am a meleepyro too in dark souls. i hope i will be able to finish this game before dark 2 arrives. i love the souls games. while i only used the wiki once or twice for demons, i think in dark souls it is almost essential to use it sometimes. These games are such gems really. you cannot describe to non gamers how awesome these games are.
    they are so deep, so challenging, so satisfying, so much fun. i hesitated picking them up because i thought they are too hard and frustrating – i just finished demons two weeks ago. best game experience i had in ages.
    i want to play dark 2…but i hope, i really hope it wont arrive before the end of the year or early next year.
    Praise the sun indeed!

#18 1 year ago
  19. redwood

oh man same here.. took me alot of time too..there are 3 bosses that i got stuck on, the bell-gargoyles, OnS and the last-boss.
    but beting these 2 was never frustrating.. it was rather challenging because almost always i found something wrong with my own tack ticks.. i think i beat them with lightning spear, and pyromancy, also i was at level 40 something back than. it took my around 15 tries to kill em. but after that the rest of the bosses felt rather quick except for the 4 kings.
    @dave have you defeated nito?

#19 1 year ago
  20. jevonski

here’s the new game+ details anyway :D

NG+ 6 and up is always the same.

#20 1 year ago
  21. Dave Cook

@17 he doesn’t level ypu down when he grabs you does he? I hated that guy in Demon’s Souls. Reduced me to a shit club and pants by the end.

#21 1 year ago
  22. jevonski

@dave nah just hurls you across the area doing quite a bit of damage, you’ll need a good lvl on the estus flask I think I had 25 charges at the time.

#22 1 year ago
  23. EvilMonk

OH!

One more thing: An easy-ish method of farming souls…

Hosting!

Go to the bonfire in the Undead Burg that’s in a shelter with the dropping ladder that leads to the Red Dragon’s Bridge. DO NOT KILL THE TAURUS DEMON!!!

This allows you to be invaded and invite Red Summons into your world. Eventually, you will get someone who knows what you are doing and will “Team-up” with you. (Dropping them humanity helps…) The idea is that they will fight all comers and you both make souls for their troubles. My roommate made 36 MILLION SOULS in one day doing this.

The rest of the game can be played through without ever killing the demon on the ramparts because you can beat Havel, go up the back of the forest (comes out at Andre the blacksmith after the Titanite Demon)and continue your journey from there.

Happy Farming!

#23 1 year ago
  24. Dave Cook

@23 that’s brilliant :D Thanks.

#24 1 year ago
  25. Dave Cook

@22 phew, good to know :) I’m on my way to fight Seath at the moment.

#25 1 year ago
  26. jevonski

ah that fight is fun too ^^

#26 1 year ago
  27. EvilMonk

@25 Gwyn is easy actually. Just get behind one of the nearest pillars of burnt rock and keep him on the other side. Hit him with polearms, magic, or miracles, keep healing when he does hit, and you’ll beat him once you get the hang of it. He can also be backstabbed and parried, but I have never been brave enough to try it.

Seath the Scaleless is a pain. Just because of the crap you must endure to get to him. Try running from the bonfire you unlock (Known as The Duke’s Archives in the warp menu). They can all be avoided if you try…

#27 1 year ago
  28. jevonski

@dave oh btw Seath curses you with his attacks so try not to get hit ^^

#28 1 year ago
  29. polygem

i hope i can finish the game by using the morning star most of the time i love that weapon for my melee build. two handed morning star is just so so brutal. run towards a foe and smack it in da face. great times.
    just found the lightning spear, yeah it might be helpful and all but nothing beats the skullcrushing sound of the morning star.

#29 1 year ago

@31 I Can’t take this.

#32 1 year ago
  33. Dave Cook

@32 Beware fatty.

#33 1 year ago
  34. bitsnark

@33 :D My other half always loses a rib when she sees the various connotations of that!

#34 1 year ago
  35. bitsnark

@28 Curses in Dark Souls are the worst.

#35 1 year ago
  36. Clupula

I don’t remember where I am in Dark Souls. It’s definitely a game that you have to be in the mood to play. I’m…let’s see…

Just opened up the castle with those snake headed guys, I think. The last boss I beat, I wasn’t sure if it was a boss or not, but it was a hydra and there’s crystal guys all around it. There’s also the garden with the ghosts that keep killing me. I found a nice spot for farming and I’ve just been doing that for a bit.

#36 1 year ago
  37. polygem

@clupula:

“Just opened up the castle with those snake headed guys, I think.”

…you´re almost in anor lando now! (you´ll get one of those rear trophies lol).freaking love the black iron armour set i found there…

#37 1 year ago
  38. Dave Cook

@37 Sen’s Fortress, it’s not such a bad place, once you figure out how to get around the boulders. Oh, and attack every single treasure chest before you open it from now on. Some of them can kill you instantly.

#38 1 year ago
  39. polygem

“rare trophies” i mean. cannot edit here. partly blocked page this vg247 porn.

#39 1 year ago
  40. redwood

@36 i couldn’t kill the hydra.. but if you have killed him than go past that lake on to the other side, and there is another crystal golem, after you defeat him their will be a new merchant there.

#40 1 year ago
  41. Dave Cook

What’s the best way to deal with curses? Anywhere good to farm the cure items to heal it? What about upping curse resistance? Is that just a case of upping your endurance or faith stat?

#41 1 year ago
  42. redwood

someone has been messing around with a scele-less dragon :P ..u need a purging stone.. upping curse resistance works but it’s resistance, it doesn’t remove the curse once it’s inflicted..

#42 1 year ago
  43. redwood

or u can go to the healer in new-londo ruins,

#43 1 year ago
  44. Dave Cook

@42 I’m about to fight Seath yeah. Haven’t tried him yet :P

Any idea where I can farm purging stones?

#44 1 year ago
  45. MadFlavour

You need a great shield and the strength to wield it to beat them.It completely negates any melee damage they do, but runs your strength down quick you need to only block when they’re swinging and let it fill up when they aren’t. Run around the room use the pillars for cover from the fat one and pick apart the smaller one with shielded attacks. Then once he’s dead it’s a piece of piss.

#45 1 year ago
  46. redwood

than how did you got cursed O_o , don’t tell me those big-eyed frogs got to ya.. :) but anyway i think the area before seath in the crsytal caves is a good place for farming purging stones.they have these walking shells which give up purging stones.. my memory is a bit fuzzy when it comes to farming stuff in DS.. played it last year

#46 1 year ago
  47. Dave Cook

@46 I haven’t been cursed yet :D Just getting ready for Seath. Thanks for the tips, I’ll bear them in mind!

#47 1 year ago
  48. redwood

if you have been to the catacombs.. the boss for that area drops a mask which boosts your curse resistance.. also seath is very easy.. just keep running from one end to the other end of the cave, and hit him once each time you run by him. he will go down without hitting you once.. I couldn’t kill him in a couple of tries but than i wore some light armor and that helped alot.

#48 1 year ago
  49. Dave Cook

@48 amazing, thanks :)

#49 1 year ago
  50. redwood

@49 praise the sun!

#50 1 year ago
  51. polygem

i got the mask already, endurance is skilled pretty good, have some of those overpriced purgingsStones in the inventory as well. now i only have to get to seath first…

#51 1 year ago
  52. redwood

i think one of the most beautifully designed bosses in DS was the wolf.. I don’t want to spoil anything here but that was just heart breaking.. reminded me of SotC

#52 1 year ago
  53. Dave Cook

@52 agreed. Everything about that fight is incredible, the setting, tone. Perfect. Same with the Moonlight Butterfly.

#53 1 year ago
  54. Armitage Shanks

Oh man,i have only made it as far as the depths,pretty sure i stopped playing right before a boss area,not looking forward to whats waiting for me.I have only ever managed to summon one person into my game for a boss fight,i don’t know if its the case that not that many people are playing co op anymore or what,but i have been invaded a number of times,seemingly by players with gear and health way beyond my level,i have read that they can only be 10 or so levels above you but i dunno,they really didn’t seem to be anywhere around my level,one guy looked like freakin Sauron from lord of the rings and one hit my ass,another guy was a caster who i managed to backstab with the Drake sword and still didn’t go down,i was around level 18 maybe.Great game though,glad i finally got around to picking it up,I cant remember the last time i felt so wary and fearful of what is around the next corner whilst playing a game.

#54 1 year ago
  55. Dave Cook

@54 bear in mind that some Black Phantoms that enter your game aren’t actually players. Some of them are AI enemies that look like players :)

But yes, invaders can be very annoying. Good luck with the Depths.

#55 1 year ago
  56. manamana

@52 absolutely. Must be one of the few most awesome bosses ever. Will have forever a place in my gamerheart, just like Dark Souls.

#56 1 year ago
  57. Clupula

@40 – Wait…I can go across the lake? I guess you mean around it, right? Because I did try, with the hydra to just run up to the damn thing and try to swing away when it only had two heads left, and I drown.

#57 1 year ago
  58. Clupula

@38 – Yeah, I learned my lesson with the chests in there. lol

#58 1 year ago
  59. manamana

@57 you were to close and drowned. Stay on the coastline in front of the hydra and keep on hacking and dodging. Afterwards you can go round (towards the lefthand side)

#59 1 year ago
  60. Clupula

@59 – Oh, the hydra’s been dead for a while. I used magic and arrows to kill it, while chopping the heads off when it would try to attack me with them, but yeah, I didn’t know I can go around the coast. Going to try that now.

#60 1 year ago
  61. Clupula

Checking out the area around the lake has been really fun for me, in the way that only Dark/Demon’s Souls can be. After killing that crystal golem thing, I went up a ladder and found myself back in the garden, where there was something that I thought was just another giant rat, but turned out to be some weird hedgehog/cat thing that came barreling at me at like 900 MPH. I managed to hide in the woods, out of its reach and killed it. I was all, “HA! Suck it, bitch!” And then, next thing I see…there’s two more of them.

#61 1 year ago
  62. salarta

@13: As other people have said already, you need a melee weapon to cut off Seath’s tail, at least by my understanding.

@27: Sounds like how I always beat Flamelurker in Demon’s Souls. Lure him near the entrance and always keep him on the opposite of the big bone to the left of the entrance. From there, use Soul Arrow or Soul Ray, they go right through the bone. Turned what was always among the hardest bosses into a cakewalk.

@55: Some Black Phantom “invaders” are actually Good Guy Gregs about it, not really there to kill you but to clear the way for you thanks to other enemies completely ignoring their presence. I actually did this once in Demon’s Souls, cleared the whole level for the guy… then I had to find him, hidden in a remote tower because he was afraid of fighting me, and even when he saw my character completely naked and weaponless and not even trying to attack him, he spazzed out the moment he saw me. On the flipside, one that helped me killed off the three knights that were outside the castle of Old King Allant.

@57: You can get close to the Hydra, just that there IS a rapid drop-off if you get too close. You can see it if you stop and look closely, but it’s understandable that some wouldn’t do that because a giant monster is attacking at the same time.

#62 1 year ago
  63. Krono

Great job Dave! I don’t think I’ve actually beat them solo..so now I think I need to go try Lol.

Also, the easiest way to get rid of curse is to go buy purging stones from Oswald, who’s at the base of the first bell after the Gargoyles. DON’T be that low level guy trying to get through New Londo Ruins to get to the merchant..those ghosts..they will demolish you.

#63 1 year ago
  64. YoungZer0

Hm, I don’t remember how I killed those two, I think I needed 5 tries or so. I did it alone. Matter of fact, I finished the entire game on my own, not once did I summon anyone. … I think I never bothered to know how to do that.

And I don’t even remember the last boss.

I read a lot on the wikis, guess that gave me a good start. I recommend EpicNameBro on Youtube. He’s the #1 source for information about the game and about the many ways you could play and finish it. It’s a little bit extreme just how much he knows about the background story of Dark Souls.

#64 1 year ago
  65. polygem

@Clupula: thanks man, you inspired me to go back and finally kill that hydra. before i did that i fully maxed my morning star at the blacksmith on the way to darkroot and got the trophy for it. stone giants are one hit kills now! the hydra was a walk in the park. took me 3 minutes with my brandnew morning star. went the same route through the lake and up the ladder now….will return to anor lando later!

oh…havel had to die too now, he instakilled me twice before when i was a rookie with just one hit, this time i gave him three hits in the face and he was history. i love this game.

#65 1 year ago
  66. Bomba Luigi

Yeah, thats was pretty hard against these two. In my second Playthrough I refused to call someone did it all alone, which was a pain in the Ass sometimes.

But thats the Glory of the Souls Games. They drive you Insane, but then give you a feeling of accomplish something great. You don’t get that in a lot of Games these Days.

#66 1 year ago
  67. polygem

@Young: yeah EpicNameBro has some great videos. i found that guy when i was looking for soul sacrifice videos. really fun to watch and he explains stuff really good. he´s a very good nerd ;)

#67 1 year ago
  68. Killbot5000

Hours of glitch abuse for O&S? Not necessary.

In this game a change in tactics is worth more than a leap in levels. Your boss has armor? Try piercing. Slow and no armor? Use a bleed weapon. You can literally whoop the asylum and stray demon with an non-leveled thief just because they start with the bandit knife and that has a bleed effect. Is your enemy heavily armored, like Havel? Well, get naked and backstab them. Easy.

Glitch abuse just ruins the game. And over-leveling ruins PvP.

#68 1 year ago
  69. polygem

sif is dead. poor guy. but he started.

#69 1 year ago
  70. orakaa

One of my most memorable moment in the game isn’t related to combat, but a fragment that can COMPLETELY be missed by the player, in relation to Quelaag’s sister.
    The only way to approach and understand her story is to enter her covenant (chaos servant). Only then can you realize the horror and despair behind Quelaag and her sister’s stories. The “fair lady”, who sacrificed herself and whose only real contact was with her sister, that you killed. When she mistakes you for her sister and say, in a painful, weak voice “Quelaag… is that you ?” it really got me. VERY intense moment.

Almost as strong as in Demon’s Souls, when you enter the boss area (Maiden Astrea). Her speech, as you enter this area, begging you to leave, makes you understand that what you are doing is… not really ok. She has come and sacrificed herself to protect the lost and the damned. Even after you face Garl Vinland, you have to go through those dead babies who try to prevent you to kill their last ray of light. And the maiden who let you kill her without any further resistance.
    It’s really the first time that I really felt like “should I really do this?”, on multiple occasions. It’s as if, until then your quest seemed to be “for the greater good”, but that, at this very moment, you turned into the evil you were trying to fight and got corrupted, as the other bosses.

#70 1 year ago
  71. polygem

i agree, that was a very strong moment in demons souls. i think the way the story is presented in these games is just perfect. if it would be more story focused it wouldn´t really work with the games trial and error structure. it would get in the way of the gameplay too much. some npc lines here and there, items that explain back stories and some light cutscenes here and there. read the rest between the lines. it´s just right.

that said…i just abandoned the chaos covenant :( i also killed eygli (if that´s his name? the eggmonsterpyro) because i hitted him just once by mistake and he wouldn´t ever forgive me. so i killed him. i know, i´ve lost a pyrotrainer because of that-just found that out today…now she does not have anyone anymore right? not even eggman, wait, that´s another game.
    i didn´t know. she must hate me now.

i don´t want to transform this (great) article into my dark souls progress blog, but i have beaten sif today AND those Ornstein & Smough fuckers.

my char is really performing well atm…very happy with it.

now that i have the lordvessel travelling became much more convenient…

46 hours in. game is insane. still no end in sight.

i am in the middle of Duke Archives now.

the area with the broken clock and the weirdo sounds in that hall was so awesome.

game of the decade.

#71 1 year ago
  72. White Corvid

Dave, I know how you feel – the community is filled with amazing helpers and some nasty invaders. I’ve been both. I was upwards of sl 60 the first time I faced O&S and frankly my character was an unfocused mess – took me two days to get by them. A more focused character I made beat them at SL 30 and recently I beat them with a SL 6 mage (mages are really overpowered in PVE). In fact I went on to beat the game without leveling up beyond 6 – the real challenge was ‘The Four Kings’ using magic only. Anyway my long point is that anything is possible in this game if you have the right gear and the know how. Without the community of DS I wouldn’t have got nearly so far (people band together in hard times and for a gamer, it doesn’t get much harder than Souls.

Once you take down Orenstein the battle is over – you can just use the pillars to keep the big fella at bay after that (damaging him after he makes an unsuccessful attack). One of the best battles in the game is actually in the DLC – ‘Artorias’

#72 1 year ago