Microsoft to announce “tons of exclusives” at E3 next month

Saturday, 18th May 2013 18:37 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

Microsoft is set to unveil its new Xbox console next week, but it is apparently saving some of its big software announcements for E3 as the console reveal is serving as foundation laying so to speak.

To get the hype train steaming along, Aaron Greenberg has teased “tons of exclusives” and “world premieres” for Microsoft’s E3 conference, stating the presentation will be “all about the games.”

Speaking in the latest Major Nelson podcast, Greenberg stated the firm is stretching announcements across both events.

“We’re really going to tell one story across two events,” said Greenberg. “So we’re going to start on the 21st and really that’s about revealing the next Xbox platform, really our vision for the future of games, the future of entertainment. We definitely have a lot of surprises planned.

“I know everyone knows the Infinity Ward team is hard at work on world premiering the next Call of Duty: Ghosts, so we’re going to see what that looks like for the first time. People are going to get a great inside look at really the making of the new platform and the team that’s brought it to life.

“I mean, to be honest, it’s really about the team, the people here, that’s why we’re inviting people to campus, we’re going to bring them behind the scenes a little bit. We’ve never done this before and so it’s really exciting to be able to do that. But I think it’s a lot of laying the foundation, probably the best way to describe it, and then just a couple of weeks later we go to E3.”

Greenberg concluded his appearance on the podcast by stating that E3 “is all about the games,” anyway but even after the show had concluded, the firm will have “a lot to share between then and this holiday.”

Microsoft will host its E3 press conference on the Monday before E3, June 10. E3 runs June 11-13.

Thanks, Gematsu via VideoGamer.

1. Lengendaryboss

3 days till MS new generation event and also if E3 is about the games don’t bring Usher or Bieber to promote Dance Central 4(?), because the audience is not a bunch of girls screaming :D

#1 1 year ago
  2. loveaya

Let me guess. Halo 5, Gears Of War 4, Fable 4, Forza 5, Alan Wake 2.

#2 1 year ago
  3. KAP

^ this.

#3 1 year ago
  4. Lengendaryboss

@2/3 Well there is MS Black Tusk Studio working on a New IP as huge as Halo i can’t think of anything else though.

#4 1 year ago
  5. Max Payne

Actually I don’t think w’ll see Alan Wake or anything from Remedy to be exclusive especially not on xbox

#5 1 year ago
  6. The_Red

To be fair, Alan Wake is just a 2 and a pretty sweet one at that. The rest though…

Sadly, this is our reality. Horray! PS4 is a brand new console but wait, it has another Killzone, another InFamous and probably another GOD. Wii U is a new console but it has another Mario, another Zelda and such. Same thing here. The whole thing is fucked. I really hope a new player enters the console / hardware race so we can have a new mascot, a new exclusive and a new approach rather than this.

#6 1 year ago
  7. vormison

Give me a new Geometry Wars and Project Gotham and I’ll be sold.

#7 1 year ago
  8. Lengendaryboss

@Red
    I am amazed you missed out new IPs like Destiny, Knack, Zombi U and Nintendo Land.

#8 1 year ago
  9. Hunam

Probably a bunch of kinect games.

#9 1 year ago
  10. reask

Well heres hoping they do as I seldom turn my 360 on these days.
    I skipped halo 4 and gears judgment so cmon ms and give us some new games that will make me get back in to your console again.

#10 1 year ago
  11. Talkar

If Doom 4 is exclusive for the nextbox then unfortunately i’ll have to buy it no matter what…
    But then again, John Carmack isn’t insane so i doubt it will even be on the nextbox, much much much less be an exclusive :P

#11 1 year ago
  12. Beta

Hmm, I’m going to reserve judgement until I see it.

Haven’t liked the direction MS have been going recently, hoping the next console is more about the games again than the set top box approach. :)

And by games I of course don’t mean “better with kinect” :P

#12 1 year ago
  13. Gekidami

I never understand why people keep bringing up Alan Wake when talking about MS games. You know, they dont hold any rights to the IP, literally none and the games were sort of horrible flops on 360. Remedy Entertainment seemed to be a lot more happy with the Steam sales, so why people think they’ll stay locked to MS (when they’ve already ported their games to a ‘third party’; Steam) is baffling.

I’m guessing people just really struggle to come with MS exclusives.

Oh, by the hey, MS holds no rights to Gears of War either. But at least MS published them and they’ve only stayed on MS platforms, for now.

Anyway, i’d say a bunch of LIVE games and timed exclusives incoming.

#13 1 year ago
  14. Lewis247

I think Microsoft has the chance to actually show off worthwhile exlusives and hopefully a ton of new IPs. I think it’s the only way for them to not end up like the WiiU.

Also if we see our first glimpse of Halo 5 I will shit my pants.

#14 1 year ago
  15. Lengendaryboss

@Gekidami

#15 1 year ago
  16. Talkar

Halo, Gears, Alan Wake and Fable are already out on the PC. Maybe some of them are missing their latest entries, but nonetheless they are still multiplatform franchises.

#16 1 year ago
  17. Gekidami

What a retarded thing to say. In what way does Alan Wake on Steam benefit MS? I’ll save you the time and answer that straight away: It doesnt.

#17 1 year ago
  18. monkeygourmet

Windows…

Also, he said:

they will always be associated with MS.

Although these titles are on PC, how many people associate them on that platform? Not many i’ll bet, as soon as most people think of Halo, Gears and Alan Wake they think of Xbox.

Just type in ‘Alan Wake’ in google, mostly 360 stuff comes up first.

#18 1 year ago
  19. Gekidami

Windows? That isnt answering my question, how does it releasing on Steam benefit MS? Unless you want to say Steam is “associated” with Microsoft as if it was some exclusive IP they owned, because you know, it runs on Windows.

But in the end it still boils down to i’m right, you’re wrong. My main point has yet to be addressed, MS dont have any rights to the IP, so bringing it up as one of their flagship games is dumb. Especially when you take into account the fact that they bombed.

#19 1 year ago
  20. monkeygourmet

You asked the question as if Lengendaryboss had said:

“MS benefits from having Alan Wake on Steam…”, but he didn’t.

He just said people associate it with MS and Xbox. Without doing market research, we will never know what platform people associate it with.

But coming down to brass tacks, it isn’t an exclusive, your right. It’s a console exclusive though, and that counts for most console gamers if they don’t intend to get a PC.

#20 1 year ago
  21. machy

3rd party doesn’t count as exclusive sire same goes for time exclusive dlc

#21 1 year ago
  22. Gekidami

But my original point was that naming Alan Wake a flagship MS game, throwing it in with the likes of Halo & Fable, isnt valid. He then talked about “association”. Ok fine, but what exactly does that have to do with what i said? Actually read what he said:

Until those developers go multiplatform with those franchises they will always be associated with MS.”

Thing is, in the case of AW, they already have. Because Alan Wake on Steam doesnt benefit MS. Its on a non-MS related platform.

#22 1 year ago
  23. monkeygourmet

People count them though. For example, if you typed in:

Xbox 360 exclusives, stuff like Alan Wake, Witcher 2, Fable series would pop up, even though a lot are third party and on PC too.

#23 1 year ago
  24. Gekidami

People count them because when it comes to MS exclusives, the bottom of the barrel needs to be scraped, long and hard. Of course, people are wrong.

#24 1 year ago
  25. monkeygourmet

You are right, im just saying people don’t see it like that.

People do view Alan Wake as a big MS exclusive, thats just a fact. It was delayed so much people thought it was vapour ware, MS made a big deal about it and most 360 fans thought of it as an exclusive you couldn’t get on PS3.

#25 1 year ago
  26. Lengendaryboss

@Gekidami
    Not really i wasn’t aware Alan Wake was on PC, but that doesn’t change the fact that most people associate those franchises with MS and by Multiplatform i meant PlayStation or Nintendo platforms, PC releases also means its a console exclusive, which counts in a way. Oh i never said anything about benefiting MS i said “association” with MS. Association with brands depends on which platform you sell best on or are very loyal to, in either of those instances a platform will be the go to place for that franchise.

#26 1 year ago
  27. monkeygourmet

So your just bitter or something?

#27 1 year ago
  28. Erthazus

Sony fanboy Gekidami is crying right now.

Alan Wake is still exclusive to one console and you can’t get it on the PS3. Besides, the team that made the game is probably making another exclusive game to the Xbox Next.

#28 1 year ago
  29. Gekidami

lol How so? You really going to tell me MS has such a big library of IP’s? Come now, people wouldnt need to bring up third parties if MS actually supplied their console with games themselves.

I agree, games coming out on Steam are irrelevant, Steam being on PC is irrelevant. Only consoles count, you’re right.

#29 1 year ago
  30. Lengendaryboss

@Gekidami
    Never mind.

#30 1 year ago
  31. Ge0force

Also on pc means it’s not a x360 exclusive. It’s that simple. :)

I also don’t understand why some people call Alan Wake an x360 franchise, since it sold like sh*t until MS started to give the game for free with some cheap x360 bundles. PC version sold very well tho.

#31 1 year ago
  32. monkeygourmet

360 seems to have done alright from where i’m standing… I’ve certainly played a lot of games I couldn’t get on the PS3 this gen.

#32 1 year ago
  33. Gekidami

Indeed, it flopped. People really are just bringing it up because they cant think of any other 360 exclusives, and AW isnt even one. You can moan and ad hominem all you want, in the end you know i’m right even if the fanboy in you refuses to admit it.

#33 1 year ago
  34. Lengendaryboss

@Gekidami
    You are right, but completely missing what i said about primarily associated with MS but whatever.

#34 1 year ago
  35. monkeygourmet

Oh dear, your fan boy is showing…

#35 1 year ago
  36. Djoenz

Im curious about the new IP’S!

#36 1 year ago
  37. Ge0force

Why is is discussion about Alan Wake anyway? It’s obvious that there will be Alan Wake 2 since it became somewhat of a “cult” franchise. But we all know that the game will also be on pc a few months later.

So I’m very curious, if Greenberg is telling the truth, where he gets all those amazing exclusives. It’s very unlikely that large 3rd party studios would make xbox exclusives and ignore millions of ps- and pc-gamers. I’m also very curious how many new exclusives they’ll have. MS’ most talented studios are working on sequels or Kinect shovelware.

#37 1 year ago
  38. Djoenz

We just have to wait and find out. They better stop that timed dlc exclusive crap.

#38 1 year ago
  39. Lengendaryboss

@Ge0force
    I would hate to say its my fault but my sentence at @15 poked a bear :) and started this heated debate, but on topic hopefully.

#39 1 year ago
  40. viralshag

@37, you mean like CCP did with Dust 514? They seem to have no problem launching a game exclusively on one console while skipping over their main fanbase on the PC and potential users on the 360.

It’s an entirely possible situation.

#40 1 year ago
  41. Erthazus

@Gekidami, Steam is relevant but Alan Wake is still exclusive to one CONSOLE and a lot of just console players play only on console.

#41 1 year ago
  42. Silent Killer01

ok, Xbox live arcade and timed exclusives isn’t something you want to brag about.

#42 1 year ago
  43. Mjorh

Microsoft n Exclusives……hmm….ironic!

#43 1 year ago
  44. Djoenz

Is Dust 514 even any good?
    Its a free mmo right? I havnt tried it yet.

#44 1 year ago
  45. Gekidami

Dust 514 isnt a very good example seeing as CCP set out from the get-go to specifically get into the console market and the game turned out to be impossible on 360 due to the closed nature of its online.

#45 1 year ago
  46. Coheno

Well no shit. Isn’t that what should happen at E3?

#46 1 year ago
  47. nironz

Hey, xbox fanboy you forget about new ip Ryse..
    “Idiot” currently still developmet with crytek..

read this: http://www.crytek.com/download/fmx2013_c3_art_tech_donzallaz_sousa.pdf

50 staff develop ryse
    100 sraff develop Crysis 3

#47 1 year ago
  48. pukem0n

oh, how i would love for Microsoft to go back making great exclusives and overall great games that make their console irresistible to the core gamer.

really, i would love it, but im also aware that likely wont happen. but if it would, man…

#48 1 year ago
  49. ps3fanboy

only exlusive here is that online fee to pay to play your games online. they call it ‘xbox live gold’ or whatever… LOL!

#49 1 year ago
  50. pistolpig

Looking forward to finding out what these exclusives are. Hope there’s some new IPs in there.

I currently own a gaming rig PC, an XBox 360, a PS3 and a WiiU. Not to mention an Ouya, a Vita and a 3DS. I’ll be buying one of each new system and any extra variety I can get my hands on, from either side, is a great thing imo.

Getting pretty sick of all the bickering on game sites. They’re all great gaming platforms in their own ways. If you’re totally attached to one platform or the other, why do you visit articles about the “opposition” anyway?

#50 1 year ago
  51. tmac2011

halo 5,6, and 7 windows 8 LOL js show me something else other than halo and the next call of duty games, show me Metal gear solid 4 running on the next xbox that be something haha :D

#51 1 year ago
  52. heroes159

2 days guys…. 2 days :D

#52 1 year ago
  53. sg1974

I’m looking forward to Tuesday but I’m not sure my wallet is. My PS4 order is in and I suspect I’ll be putting in a preorder for another console soon. That is, only if they drop the Live subs on the full-price SKU.

#53 1 year ago
  54. mistermogul

Tbh to keep my business MS need tons of exclusives to stop me from moving over to Sony next gen…

I hope they have new IP, free Xbox live and no Kinect 2.0!

#54 1 year ago
  55. ps3fanboy

yes two days guys, before they reveal of the ‘always on’ box….

#55 1 year ago
  56. CyberMarco

I find it a bit hard to understand those who have an XBox 360 and are going to jump ship on the PS4, you already have an established library and I suppose you would want to play the sequels too…

#56 1 year ago
  57. MangoMantang

Probably Kinect 2 games and Kinect 2 exlusives.

#57 1 year ago
  58. DuckOfDestiny

Halo 5, Gears Of War 4, Fable 4 and a shit load of crappy Kinect games.

#58 1 year ago
  59. Da Man

They have co combat GT19, Killzone 11 and Motorstorm 9 with something..

#59 1 year ago
  60. redwood

guys.. if you read closely.. what it really means, is that they don’t have shit to show for when it comes to games come this 21st.. you’ll probably see the CODthingy.. and really long talk about why the nextbox is so “ace”.. and maybe 2 -3 new games.

#60 1 year ago
  61. monkeygourmet

lol at all the Sony fanboys complaining about sequels a couple of days after GT6 was announced…

#61 1 year ago
  62. Clupula

@61 – The difference is that while Sony do put out a bunch of sequels, they also have probably introduced an equal number of new ip’s every gen.

For every God of War, Twisted Metal, Gran Turismo, Killzone, and Sly Cooper game, there were also a Last of Us, Uncharted, Beyond, Heavy Rain, Motorstorm, White Knight Chronicles, and Heavenly Sword. Some of those became new franchises, some of those became single games, and two of those flopped, but they were all new ip’s introduced alongside their sequels.

Microsoft didn’t really introduce any new ip’s this gen, unless you want to count Alan Wake. While exclusive, Gears of War was still Epic games.

#62 1 year ago
  63. noamlol2

DuckOfDestiny is probably right

i really wish there is backwards compability so i won’t have to switch systems every time i feel like playing an arcade game or RDR…

#63 1 year ago
  64. monkeygourmet

They have done quite well this gen. They need to be careful though, the sequels are coming thick and fast.

It felt like MS did better on downloadable exclusives this gen compared to PSN, although I could be wrong there. It was probably pretty even on that front.

#64 1 year ago
  65. speider

Destiny with special features, the new look of Ryze, Watch Dogs campaign multiplayer, Titan reveal, Devil’s Third, and something new from Capcom, Namco, EA, Ubisoft and Activision is my hope.

Additionally, I’d like to see reasons for why switching out my current console with the new one will give me more options for playing and connecting the way I want, and not just having what came before in a new package.

Lastly, backwards compatibility and the option of playing 360 games with people who play on 360 would probably seal the deal for me.

#65 1 year ago
  66. EZXPSnazzyPanic

Sounds like they are not gonna showmany games then Good move microsoft, good move, selling a gaming system and not gonna show games…

#66 1 year ago
  67. Krisgebis

@62: Many of the PS games you listed, were from 2nd and 3rd party developers, so why is Gears a problem because it came from Epic?

Alan Wake, Viva Pinata, Gears of War, Mass Effect (later went multiplat), Blue Dragon, Lost Odyssey, Shadow Complex.
    Now what were you saying?

#67 1 year ago
  68. fearmonkey

I need just one stellar title to get me excited but I have my doubts its going to happen. A killer RPG would get me, but if it’s also on PC, i’d just get it on it. I’m not much into racers, so its about the shooters and RPG’s baby, MS don’t let me down.

#68 1 year ago