Xbox launches official news service ahead of May 21 reveal

Friday, 17th May 2013 00:17 GMT By Brenna Hillier

Microsoft has opened an official news portal pertaining to all things Xbox.

The newly-launched Xbox Wire features sections devoted to the Xbox 360; E3; games; entertainment; and the big May 21 reveal.

The site is currently in beta, according to a letter from editor Lisa Gurry, and is expected to go official on – oh hey, May 21. There’s a surprise.

“We have so much good news to share with you,” Gurry said of the new blog.

The site will occasionally host posts from Microsoft executives as well as lesser-known members of the Xbox team. Larry Hryb – better known as Major Nelson – will also contribute.

1. monkeygourmet

Come ONNNNNN the 21st!!!!! :)

I want all the rumours to be put to bed!

I want to finally see if MS has had the balls to build a more powerful machine and if the rumours of the AMD 20nm Volcanic Islands GPU being ready for 720 at the end of 2013!

Bring it on!

It’s all or bust and then I go PC and Big Window! :)

#1 1 year ago
  2. Yoshi

Anyone know where I can watch this after the event? As I’ll be working :(

#2 1 year ago
  3. Zohar

Many websites will be recording it. I’m sure it’ll just be a simple Google search away.

#3 1 year ago
  4. lexph3re

Im really looking forward to the 21st

#4 1 year ago
  5. Yoshi

@3 Well yes that’s what I thought about the Playstation event. For example VG247 had a page ready to embed a stream and then once stuff got revealed they edited that article to show the reveals which spoiled everything. IGN did the same :/

#5 1 year ago
  6. Moonwalker1982

I’m watching it on my plasma via the 360′s Live Event Player :)

#6 1 year ago
  7. Templar_Dante

Absolutely no one I know is excited for this, since Eurogamer had the article saying for certain
    Next Gen Xbox GPU 7790. and its common knowledge it has DDR3.. my tech friends interest ended.

#7 1 year ago
  8. Templar_Dante

MonkeyGoumet, dude, you’re smoking some good Shiz lmao.

HDMI IN
    HDMI OUT
    DVR
    HD7790

According to Digital Foundry.
    Believe.

In fact, I bet right now, MSFT WILL NOT even mention any specs but vague crap.
    Like,

8 Core CPU
    Latest AMD GPU (lol cuz its a 7790, not a 6770 or 7770) lol
    8GB Ram.

Dont build yourself up to be broken down, Monkey.

#8 1 year ago
  9. The_Red

That is one sexy site design. Not too generic / tech heavy and not too casual / metro.

#9 1 year ago
  10. DrDamn

Gametrailers maybe? I found it a lot more consistent and better quality for the PS4 reveal live.

#10 1 year ago
  11. monkeygourmet

Oh yeah, it’s wishful thinking, I know.

Simple fact is;

If 720 is underpowered im just going to SLI 2x GTX680′s or something similar and go Steam Big Picture as my main gaming device next gen.

Im not spending the best part of £399 on a ‘next gen’ machine that won’t run 1080p & 60fps.

Thing is, I just can’t imagine MS being able to offer a $499 – £499 (if rumours are true) console unless it’s a step up from the PS4.

I feel we are on the verge of new technology really kicking in; SOC’s, smaller faster GPU’s, Memory stacking etc.. and MS is the only company with deep enough pockets to be able to take advantage of more advanced R&D at the moment.

Plus, the security lockdown has been crazy. I think MS has sent ALOT of red herrings out so far…

Like I said, apart from the DDR5 memory, the PS4 has been decidedly ‘off the shelf’ to me, I really don’t want to be using that kind of tech for another 8 years if the long life cycle this gen is repeated.

If MS go similar or worse than that, Im def going PC. Once i’ve done the initial outlay, buying a new GPU every 2 years or so and cheaper games / Mods seem like the way to go.

But, as you said, if they don’t talk about spec’s, we will know they’ve gone cheap and im out!

#11 1 year ago
  12. viralshag

That really is a slick website. I like it.

#12 1 year ago
  13. Ilovesony

Microsoft… you betta bring it.. Cause the Sony Fanboys are waiting… Like a woman on a boat in shark infested waters…. On her period

#13 1 year ago
  14. TheBlackHole

“£399 on a ‘next gen’ machine that won’t run 1080p & 60fps.”

Can you make a PC that runs 1080p % 60fps for £399?

#14 1 year ago
  15. monkeygourmet

Give or take…

The thing is… If I drop £1000 on a rig, it’ll kick the shit out of next gen. Obviously it’s more than twice the cost, but through steam sales it’ll easily make up the difference through software in the pace of 6 months.

Then, in a year, I can get another GTX 680, SLI them.

A 720 / PS4, 1 year online subscription, and 10 games will be roughly £1000…

A £1000 rig will not only be twice as powerful but dropping another £50 can get a lot of great games in the steam sales…

#15 1 year ago
  16. TheBlackHole

I never understood what OS they were using on that PC – it’s certainly not windows unless they’ve omitted the license fee from the £300.

Linux isn’t exactly user friendly.

#16 1 year ago
  17. NocturnalB

My goodness i see some major drama queens here. “Oh the tech specs aren’t ahead of this and that or even close to current top end PC’s! No one i know is even remotely excited!”

Ok. Thanks for the info. If you feel your money is best spent elsewhere then do it. That is the way the world works. No duh the consoles are already going to have dated hardware, they are designed to be affordable for the common living room gamer to have an enjoyable experience; for the masses. Ever think that’s maybe why they so closely resemble domestic computers?

If you and any tech buddy you have’s only concern is solely based on having top notch technical specs and prefer a mouse and keyboard (not to say a controller isn’t still an option for you) then yes you are absolutely correct, you are better off spending YOUR money and time where you see more fit.

Meanwhile, consoles are still working as intended.

#17 1 year ago
  18. monkeygourmet

It’s called:

Piracy :)

#18 1 year ago
  19. monkeygourmet

Of course, but business models are changing…

Get with the times, Grandpa!

#19 1 year ago