Sony won’t let PS4 slip to 2014 in Europe – report

Tuesday, 14th May 2013 12:03 GMT By Dave Cook

PlayStation 4 will not be delayed into 2014 in Europe, an alleged insider has stated.

CVG reports that “an insider involved with PlayStation’s business strategy”, has told the site that Sony expects Microsoft to become more aggressive in Europe, in response to PS4 being the first next-gen console revealed.

The source suggested that both Sony and Microsoft are targeting Europe aggressively, and as a result the PS4 creators are “prepared to do whatever it takes” to ensure the next-gen rig isn’t delayed in the territory.

It follows claims that Sony will experience shipping issues with PS4, which could lead to a shortage in some regions. CVG’s source added that if this does happen, then Europe and the US would receive more consoles to help drive sales over the ‘safe’ region of Japan, which has always lapped up Sony consoles since they began.

1. RandomTiger

Good!

2. The_Red

They have too. The next-gen is the “me too” gen. Both are Blu-ray and both are x86. Both are with AMD and both are mostly marginal steps above previous ones.

If MS console gets subsidized / payment plans, Sony has to follow suit. If Sony gets high RAM and no always-online DRM, MS has to follow suit. If one has in box camera, the other most do so too. If one has worldwide launch in 2013…

3. SplatteredHouse

You know what happens when you don’t speak up, Nintendo?
    You don’t get a say!
    Sony pushing for Europe in 2013 would count towards a big symbolic boost for them.

@2: That’s just the trap. They should not consider it truth, or gaming on consoles runs the risk of becoming a barely distinguishable homogenized gloop, and they’ll continue to drop those people who aren’t interested in more of the same.
    As platform holder I think it’s their responsibility from the outset: to go big, to show new, and then other creators can react to that example of platform identity proposed by those actions.

4. Sylrissa

Smart move from Sony to focus on getting units out to other territories even pulling units from japan.

They need to show the EU(and others) that they have learnt from past mistakes and this is a good step in the right direction.

5. JRNO

Works for me. As much as I want to see a killer launch line-up though, I hope they won’t rush them out the door just to sell consoles. I’d rather see them take their time with the new inFamous – not that what they’ve shown so far hasn’t been good stuff.

Can’t wait for E3!

6. DrDamn

Hmmm, I’m putting 2 + 2 together here. MS + EA in a special relationship, big push in Europe = FIFA shenanighins if you ask me.

7. Lengendaryboss

@DrDamn Interesting POV but FIFA is more closely associated with PlayStation platforms in EU by that i mean it sells best out of the console versions, is marketed alongside PlayStation platforms and SCEE have that Football Sponsorship Deal going on till 2015 so it might be difficult to break that bond but knowing MS it won’t be all that difficult.

8. NooB GobliN

Well, good! I’m hoping to be playing some true next-gen games this winter. And I’d prefer to do it on PS4 tbh. I’ll probably get both new systems eventually, when the quality games reach a magic number.

I can’t wait for the next generation of consoles. Saw some gameplay of the new Metro game on Xbox and it didn’t look up to snuff. I long for a day where the resolutiion is 1080, all the textures are nice and crisp, solid AA, zero screen-tear, and tight frame rate that doesn’t dip below 30.

And yes I’m aware of PCs…

9. ps3fanboy

that is the spirit sony, squeeze that rat microsoft and its always onbox outta eu!

10. dizzygear

We have been treated like shit since the PSone days by SCEE. I see no reason to believe them now if they cant even release Counterstrike GO on the EU stores.

11. No_PUDding

I’ve heard that GDDR5 RAM is actually very difficult to source materials for at the moment.

So, I am sure demand on a console scale will put some pressure on stock levels.

Still, I have a vested interest, please allow me to purchase a PS4 this year.

12. TheKeyPit

They will fail if it slips to 2014 in Europe.

13. laughing-gravy

Good news, at least they won’t be a year behind this time.

14. polygem

@Noob Goblin: awesome screenname!

15. Lounds

How is GDDR5 Ram hard to source it’s on every major graphics card. Only budget cards use GDRR3. Surely GDDR5 is being produced in mass quantities.

16. Erthazus

Oh god… Again GDDR5 talks… Everyone likes to talk about PS4 memory like it’s a new Jesus or something. In reality it is just a memory with HIGHER SPEED.

but absolutely no one talks about the most important parts of it. CPU and GPU which makes your games actually work.

17. Joe Musashi

Yeah. It must be really frustrating when some guy just goes on about a hardware spec here or a post-processing detail there like it’s the most important thing in the world. Completely missing the point of videogames, huh? Geez, some people!

JM

18. Lounds

Erth, I was responding to the guy about shortages because of GDDR5, which there shouldn’t be seeing as memory is cheap to produce. You’re right about CPU’s and GPU’s. AMD have never really had to mass produce in this high demand in a long time lol.