Sony and Microsoft to go ‘heavily’ on free-to-play next gen, says Epic’s Rein

Thursday, 9th May 2013 16:19 GMT By Alex Donaldson

Epic Games VP Mark Rein has said that both Sony and Microsoft are to chase the free-to-play and in-app purchase business models with their next generation of hardware.

“The next-gen consoles are going to be fully embracing the free-to-play and these IAP-type business models,” Rein said at the Game Horizon conference today. “So in case you don’t know that I’m putting that out there. Sony and Microsoft are both going heavily in that area.”

Joystiq reports that when pushed on the issue with the suggestion that there weren’t many examples that the companies were moving in this direction, Rein remained confident.

“Well, I’m telling you,” he said. “I’m telling you what they’re telling developers.”

E3 is mere weeks away – and we may learn more on the platform holder’s free-to-play plans there.

1. OlderGamer

Nothing free about microtransactions.

2. monkeygourmet

@OG +1

Exactly…

@Topic

Yuck…

Children gaming and Microtransactions are a fucking HORRIBLE combination…

Loads of whiney little shits asking their parents to buy ‘cheats’ for them because they have a 2 second attention span and can’t be bothered to play with any skill…

“Daddy, please unlock the uber killing gun for me on Gears of Duty 5… Thristan has one and it’s only 400 MS Sony points…”

Kid goes from unskilled twat, to over powered SPAM monster in the time it takes Dad to open his wallet… (rather than wondering why his 8 year old is playing a 18+ wargame for 12 hours a day…)

This shit RUINS games if you have Micro Transactions as your focus in the planning stages and CREATION of a product.

It’s cancer bleeds into every area of the gameplay and game design, fucking hate it, big time…

3. viralshag

Yeah, because that’s what always happens when a game is F2P and has MTs…

Neverwinter is F2P and that’s great. It’s unbelievable that no matter how many games handle MTs well, gamers still react in the exact same ways.

4. G1GAHURTZ

NNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!

I might go Wii U, instead.

5. monkeygourmet

Because of EA / Activision’s business practice probably…

Your example is hardely falls into the same bracket as Child powered franchises like:

COD, FIFA, Battle Field, Spyro Toy shit, Need for Speed etc…

If you honestly don’t think the F2P & MT’s won’t be abused like a mother fucker next gen, you have ALOT more faith in the big companies than I do! :0

6. Djoenz

Yeah this is something I despise. Its all over mobile games etc. if this transcends to consoles I will walk away and never look back.

They offer premium items for money, but if you dont buy them (a lot will) you will fall short and feel like the game is too hard etc. so you are forced to buy the special items due to peer pressure.

Make a very competetive game with beautiful visuals and bam this strategy works super well.

Example is Rage Of Bahamut awesome trading card game with awesome people and a lot of people buy card packs for an insane amount of money. I did it myself as well while the company behind it (mobage) had no feelings even for paying customers….

Cant log in for over a month? well too bad…..

7. monkeygourmet

Last ‘true’ console my friend, as silly as that sounds, it’s probably true.

Basically the Dreamcast 2, although I don’t think it will put Nintendo under.

8. hives

This is not bad news. It will be like on PC – many F2P games, most of them not that great, but we will also get 2 or 3 good ones (Tribes Ascend is good example from PC, or even Planetside 2 or Ghost Recon Online).

9. monkeygourmet

But; Halo… Gears of War… Forza…?

I don’t think I would like a F2P model in those games.

10. viralshag

@5, If you honestly think that those games you mentioned are played solely by under 18 year olds and “kids” then I think you’re fooling yourself into thinking that they get some sort of cheap popularity.

Never mind the fact most of them are some of the most solid and fun gaming experiences out there.

And if parents haven’t learnt how to stop their kids from abusing their credit cards by now, I have no sympathy for them whatsoever. You’re the parent, not the company selling the product. Does the “I’m suing the company because my kid spent loads of my money on your service” really still fly these days? Shocking if true.

11. Zarckan

That Fat Fuck doesn’t have a clue! He sits in his ivory tower protected by his bloated broken engine thinking he KNOWS EVERYTHING.

CNUT!

12. monkeygourmet

Fun, yes. If you like that sort of thing.

Filled with kids… Yes, I’m afraid that is true. Just log onto any of those games, play a few matches and have a chat to some of the under age brats playing them…

Im not saying they are the only ones to play these games, but you can bet thats the demographic the marketing teams are going for…

11- 15 year old males… Even though the games are 18+.

13. OlderGamer

Watch your step MG, you are making too much sense. Some folks just can’t follow it.

MG + a few more.

14. viralshag

@12, Strangely enough I think “fun” is just the sort of thing that people like and probably one of the main reasons people game in the first place.

As I said before in another article, I don’t chat in random online matches, like 95% of the people I see in these games that don’t have a mic on.

While the source is questionable, this article from last year based on the FIFA Interactive World Cup, seems to suggest that stats say the average FIWC is 26, which I think can easily be applied to the rest of the community, in terms of FIFA at least.

I have no doubt that COD would be similar, like a lot of games.

15. viralshag

@13, He’s not making any sense because none of it is provable. If it has been please provide the links and I’ll accept it.

Some of us aren’t ashamed to admit they enjoy playing the popular “casual” games.

But to try and make out like the majority of gamers playing COD and FIFA are either spoilt brats or kids with jobs maintaining a rather expensive hobby, is bordering on stupidity.

16. OlderGamer

“I have no doubt that COD would be similar, like a lot of games.”

I highly doubt that one VS.

Madden, FIFA, and prolly most sports games are going to have older demographics. It just makes sense. I know people close to my age that play EA Sports games exclusivly. I’m not saying your not going to find younger kids that are rabid sports fans, sure. But that number against rabid fps/shooter fans?

Anyways it doesn’t matter. It doesn’t change MGs point.

17. OlderGamer

Not evrything needs a link. Just look around. Just because a lot of kids play one genere of game, doesn’t mean that older adults can’t also play and enjoy the same game. But if you play those games, your in denial to not recognize that vast amounts of young players are playing.

There is no right or wrong there.

But if you break down the age demographics for a game like XB360 CoD and PC NeverWinter, you would likly find a dramitic age gap. So if the biz model that deals with mostly adults(responible for their own purchases) in a lot of PC games, get placed into a pool of games that are heavily populated with kids…their is massive potential for backlash.

Search for links if you like, but that is pretty much just common sense.

18. viralshag

What point exactly? You guys are acting like the gaming world hasn’t been dealing with MTs for quite some time now.

How on earth did you come to the conclusion that an MMO on a PC would have an older demographic than that of a game on a console.

Not everything needs a link but if you’re just going to pull figures out of the air then back it up with something. It’s well known the average age of gamers is in the 30s, so that gives credence to my argument of a genre not being filled with just kids.

Please feel free to use anything other than “only adults play PC games”.

19. stretch215

So what? If a game is worth the money, I’ll spend it, whatever method of spending that may be. Why don’t you wait to see what the actual situation is before obsessing over baseless hypotheticals.

20. monkeygourmet

Yeah, I fear your trying to turn my point into something it wasn’t. Maybe I didn’t explain it well enough! :)

I know what your saying about certain F2P games, I just have zero faith that this business model will be used in a way that benefits most games in the next generation.

My reasonings for this are hard to back up with solid proof as it’s a future prediction.

EA & Activisions ‘dry run’ with these features this generation have done NOTHING to enhance my gaming experience, at best, I just had to put up with them being there.

Most peoples arguements FOR these in games were:

‘It’s not that bad’ or ‘If you don’t like it, don’t buy it’.

These are the worse arguements ever IMO, effectivaly it’s bending over and taking it from a big company who are forcing this business model onto the gaming landscape.

It was never, never ever ASKED for, it just got attached to games that people are addicted too, then called a success by the marketing team.

Why do you think games like COD are a flagship poster child what with all the DLC, Season Passes, online community and COD Elite becoming the norm for big titles to follow?

The games have become yearly churned out bullshit, but people lap it up while waiting for the next X Factor.

I don’t mind people being into thrashy or cheesy main stream media, but it annoy’s me when people try to dress it up as anything else.

Now, with F2P / DLC and now Micro Transactions (another shitty buzz word… It’s just more fucking DLC dicktards!!! Even worse this time as it usually means buying shit thats already in the game) becoming the norm, Companies finally know they have a demographic hooked and by the balls.

This is NEVER a good thing for the consumer, not in any way shape or form.

21. stretch215

Lol. I think someone’s worried about getting rocked by “kids” in mp.

22. viralshag

@20, It might not have been asked for but it’s clearly not been rejected either. What you may find unpopular doesn’t set the trend for the rest of us.

This whole idea of everything in gaming should be free for us while companies that provide it pretty much go bust is so retarded. If it was down to some gamers I’m sure they would have a DLC-less, MT-less, F2P game that burnt itself out in a month and gets slammed for poor management.

DLC and MTs offer fans of a game, genre or company to offer support. And yes, I mean in terms of money because being a forum fanboy really means absolutely nothing to them. And the best bit is, if you don’t like the game or the company, then you don’t have to give that additional support. So the “it’s optional” argument is rather valid. There’s no gun to your head making you enjoy content a lot of us are willing to pay for.

23. OlderGamer

Keep twisting VS.

I am not going to correct you at every word. But I never said most of what you think I did. You are grossly over generalizing.

24. Djoenz

For the first time I totally agree with you :P
    Amen!

25. viralshag

@23, I’m not twisting anything? I’m replying to your exact wording…

“But if you break down the age demographics for a game like XB360 CoD and PC NeverWinter, you would likly find a dramitic age gap. So if the biz model that deals with mostly adults(responible for their own purchases) in a lot of PC games, get placed into a pool of games that are heavily populated with kids”

There is no twisting in my comment about that statement. Please don’t talk about over generalizing when you have done exactly that. “Dramatic age gap” between COD and an MMO? Business model that deals mostly with adults? Games that are heavily populated with kids?

If this is going to be another word-twisting-nonsense comment section I’m just going to declare myself out.

26. OlderGamer

What you are doing VS is taking what I say out of context, to shoe horn it into what you want to argue about. You grabed a quote from me, fine. But do you not see the words LIKLY and IF? I am not making a medical documant, not stating anything as pure fact, just stating an opinion. You want to agrue that. You can’t. It is an opinion. You can state your own. But neither one can be right or wrong. Do you see the difference?

27. Cobra951

@20: Perfect post, MG. Hear, hear.

28. monkeygourmet

29. monkeygourmet

Of course Im not trying to pretend my views are the only ones that count. I just know there are better ways of handling DLC and F2P.

Why do you think there is an article every day or so regrding these kind of things and DLC that is already on the disc, (to save the poor, poor dev’s having to upload it after a games released… The poor lambs, I feel sooo sorry for them).

It’s all bullshit my friend, just ways of extracting more cash from you.

Basically chopping 1 game up into sections (something you used to buy in one lump), then sell slices of it off to you bit by bit.

You want cheat codes?

You can buy those seperatly too…

etc… etc…

30. G1GAHURTZ

I’ve probably played more CoD hours than anyone here (except maybe Erthazus), and it’s obvious that anyone who says that most of the people playing it are between 11-15, has absolutely no idea what they’re talking about.

Likewise, I’ve also pumped many, many hours into FIFA, and it’s almost impossible to tell the age of anyone, because almost no-one uses a mic.

So how people can start talking about demographics, when they don’t even play these games, is beyond me.

31. Djoenz

PSN:
    MW2
    MW3
    Black Ops
    Black Ops 2

I have played these games and put a lot of hours in them. There were occassions of little children. In all the time I played across all titles I could say on PSN
    10-20 % are little children from 11-15 etc..

However let me say this that the so called grown ups or older players etc. have bigger mouths than some of these little children.

Fuck I had online verbal disputes to the point I wanted to knock someones teeth out.

32. fearmonkey

Everyone sing with me… (To the tune of Macho man by the village people)

Micro transactions man.
    MS wants micro transactions man
    Micro transactions man.
    MS wants micro transactions.

33. zinc

I’ll wait to see how it’s implemented before losing my shit over this.

Mass Effect multiplayer has a fremium unlock style & whilst frustrating, is hardly a game breaker.

34. monkeygourmet

Viral completly took a certain part of my point and ran with it…

I said children and micro transactions don’t mix very well.

I said ‘loads’ of kids. Considering how many millions of people play COD over all the platforms, I guarantee that is a lot of underage players. Same with most popular games with a huge fan base.

Kids also like cheats. Check most videos on YouTube for people trying to find cheats and glitches in COD, again kids…

When I was a kid, all my friends and I were obsessed with hidden levels, warps, blood codes, cheats in general for NES, Snes and Megadrive games. The cheat section of most magazines was a goto section.

Having quite a few young nephews, I can see nothing has changed. They too are obsessed with cheats and glitches. Most adults don’t really give a shit about stuff like that.

Now cheats and unlocks can be bought in a lot of titles (it’ll only get worse next gen), that’s why I said its a bad combo.

35. viralshag

@34, actually my initial response was solely to do with MTs. You guys are pushing this kids and MTs thing and I’m simply trying to point out that its bit of a non-issue considering parents so far have managed to avoid getting bled dry by their kids using them.

If you’re a smart parent, it’s not going to happen. There have been exceptions and occasions where it has but the fact remains your “kid filled” game theory or opinion has quite a lot of holes in it.

36. G1GAHURTZ

@34:

Micro transactions are nothing to do with cheats and glitches, though.

I hate MT based games*, but it’s nothing to do with that reason.

I hate them, because they are specifically designed to make you want to spend more and more money. They’re a form of psychological manipulation, that ‘wins’ when you press that ‘buy’ button.

That’s nothing to do with kids ruining MP games, and everything to do with a bunch of non-gaming, capitalist, greedy executives trying to turn gaming into type of mind control, akin to the tobacco industry.

I don’t think that anyone would play an online game where there’s disparity in ability, based on how much money you spend. So I’m not concerned that that could happen at the moment.

What I’m concerned about is a bunch of ‘free’ games that do nothing but spam you with reasons to spend money.

* I do, however, openly admit that since I’ve taken a break from console gaming, I have been playing Jetpack Joyride, which is F2P. However, as of right now, I have put over 37 hours into it, unlocked all of the achievements and reached the top rank 15 times, without spending a single penny. I have no intention of spending a single penny, and I consider this game to be an exception to the rule.

37. monkeygourmet

Okay, Micro Transactions… How would you define them?

For example: Battlefield Bad Company 2. You could pay MS points to unlock the ‘high tier’ weapons straight from the start of multiplayer along with new camo suits.

What would you call that?

DLC, pay to unlock, pay to cheat, micro transactions? It’s all the same shit, and ultimately has the same effect on balancing IMO.

These things are clearly the ‘elephant in the room’, in gaming right now.

38. G1GAHURTZ

I’m not sure about you “high tier” weapons claim, but camo has pretty much no impact on gameplay at all.

Even if it did, people wouldn’t play such games. This is a key point.

I don’t think that there’s a single game where ou can pay to get an advantage. And, again, if there was, I’m quite certain that hardly anyone would play it, if anyone at all.

39. monkeygourmet

You could unlock the ‘end’ weapon of whichever class you wanted.

e.g. End tier super rifle just buying paying for it.

Anyways, your right about the demographic thing. I can’t really prove it, just give you many examples from my and my friends experiences playing online, reading lots of forum posts surrounding underage gamers in stuff like COD and the countless articles analysing the shift to DLC in gaming.

I’ll just have to se what happens with PS4 / Durango, but articles like this keep cropping up every day, seems pretty obvious to,me which way things are heading.

40. viralshag

@39, what does it really change though? People with tons of free time get one up on me because they have more time to unlock everything. I still go into a MP game with my standard stuff. What difference does it make, or would you even notice when in OMP?

There is always some one better skilled, better geared or just generally better. The main difference gear and weapons often don’t make up for THAT much lack of skill.

41. monkeygourmet

It changes game structure and even gameplay depending on how hell bent a company is on using these devices while a game is in production.

Dead Space 3 is a good example.

Did anyone actually WANT an action shooter with micro tranasactions and co-op? It was a great example of how things get prevented once the ‘suits’ step in…

Honestly, I’m happy to hold my hands up on this one. More than happy to say I’m wrong as I don’t like the gaming future I’m describing! :) I just feel the end of this gen was a warm up for more of this stuff next gen.

42. Richenbaum

Dead Space 3 was primarily a single player game though and the micro transactions and co-op were entirely optional and had no effect whatsoever on anyone except the people deciding to use them. If you want to hate it because it was “too actiony” for you, fine, but the fact that bad players needed to buy resource packs had nothing to do with that.

43. monkeygourmet

Devs said that they were upset with people only using 1 or 2 guns in DS1 & DS2…

Make Dead Space 3 an action game…

Make hordes of enemies to shoot, ammo transferable across all weapons…

Then make Micro Transactions available if players want to ‘fast track’ better weapons…

Of course you don’t HAVE to use them, (I said that argument just sucks early on in the thread…) but IMO all these factors add up to a change in gameplay that wasn’t a benefit to the player.

So much so, scores were pretty shit, lots of complaints were made, longtime fans were pissed off and sequels are now not looking likely because of these choices no one asked for in the first place.

As I said early, a lot of this is my opinion based on my experiences. But, I am writing under a topic based on a statement from a big name dev openly discussing MS and Sony of activity pursuing these kind of games for next gen…

44. Erthazus

They are going after f2P market is because that’s where consoles are outdated as fuck.
    that was the same with PS3 and 360 which were behind PC’s in multiplayer aspect.

I bet, Blizzard’s next MMO will be multiplatform: PC, PS4, Next Xbox

45. RocknRolla

Good I never pay for in-game content anyway :) Eeexelent (Mr. Burns face..)

#45 1 year ago
  46. Lord Gremlin

I don’t buy or even try games with microtransactions in it. Guess I’ll have to wait and see if there’s anything for me to buy on PS4 to begin with.

#46 1 year ago