Origin update rolls out, adds achievements

Thursday, 9th May 2013 11:27 GMT By Alex Donaldson

EA has begun rolling out a new version of PC platform Origin, adjusting the system’s interface and adding new features.

The update is available to those who have opted-in to be part of beta updates. Those users will get the chance to update to version 9.2.1 now – but if you don’t want to be in the beta, this update will roll out fully in a few weeks.

EA boasts that the update features a revamped Application Settings menu, while PC users that enjoy broadcasting their gameplay online now have the ability to automatically archive their broadcasts. A new multi-launcher also opens up more options for players on beefy 64-bit systems.

The feature most likely to be used by a greater number of gamers is the belated addition of achievements. Achievements earned in titles like Battlefield 3, Mass Effect 3 or Dead Space 3 will now show on your profile. Players will all have an ‘Origin Point’ total, which functions much the same as Xbox’s Gamerscore.

More information on the update is available over on the official Origin site.

1. Llewelyn_MT

Why bother with improving the quality of your service when you can implement achievements?

#1 12 months ago
  2. freedoms_stain

This puts them at somewhere between 4 and 5 years behind Steam.

It’s good progress when your service, launched in 2011, gains a feature in 2013 that your main competitor has had since 2008. Right?

#2 12 months ago
  3. ballz

steam does not have points system for achieves, so origin owns them on this

#3 12 months ago
  4. freedoms_stain

@3, Achievement point aggregators are beyond pointless.

I have 33K gamerscore… What the fuck does that even mean? It’s a number without significance. On Steam the only metric I get is %age completion for any given game, because that’s a metric that has a tangible meaning.

#4 12 months ago
  5. GrimRita

Its great to see EA chase. Normally, if they cant beat the competition, they just buy them out – clearly Steam isnt for sale.

#5 12 months ago
  6. ps3fanboy

one of the reasons i did go for a sony console as a gaming platform. so i didnt have to deal with these idiotic online depending clients between me and my games… gfwinlive, uplay, steam, origin etc its all crap… makes no sense at all, specially for a windows platform.

#6 12 months ago
  7. Talkar

I commend EA for sticking with Origin. It already has the streaming feature which has been requested for Steam for how many years?

#7 12 months ago
  8. Samoan Spider

@6 Problem you have is that you buy an ubi game, you sign into uplay as part of it, buy an ea game, sign into origin, buy a Valve game, there’s steam. You might have a Sony console, but you still have the log ins to other companies, just not the clients that go with it but it’s still a barrier and these companies need to stop (but won’t)!

Steam is a fantastic service. On the laptop in small mode, it’s pretty light and quick to get to games I want, and the PC has big screen mode which gives me the option of PC quality yet a ‘console’ experience so I love it. Origin and uplay are nowhere near as cleanly operated in this fashion so I dislike them and I more often than not crack purchased games so they run from steam at a button press instead of signing in through the other services. I have 66k gamerscore on the 360 and its fucking pointless as has been said above. Percentage completion is useful, points are pointless.

#8 12 months ago
  9. heroes159

achievements …….yes yes yes yes yes yes yes .. Hell yes . I was totally waiting for this Feature. Next Stop should be Trading & Gifting system through Origin :)

#9 12 months ago
  10. theevilaires

So now both steam and origin copied Microsoft huh. Fuck achievements thats a dumb name. I’ll take my trophies anyday over that crap.

#10 12 months ago