Wolfenstein: The New Order – Warren Spector apologizes over comments

Wednesday, 8th May 2013 16:57 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

Bethesda has released the debut video for Wolfenstein: The New Order to the masses, now that the exclusivity period has ended on it. Get it below. Meanwhile, Warren Spector has apologized to fans over comments he made regarding the game yesterday.

According to a post on his Facebook page, Spector apparently pissed off a bunch of Wolfenstein fans yesterday when he asked if the world “really needed another Wolfenstein game,” as he was “so tired” of “generically dark, monochromatic, FPS, kill-the-Nazi-giant-robot games.”

Today, Spector said he owed the the Wolfenstein team an apology, as he wasn’t “trying to diss” them or the game.

“I have total respect for anyone making a game,” he said. “I know how hard it is… And to everyone who pointed out that I didn’t know enough about the game to judge, well, you were right. Consider this my mea culpa. I hope I can buy you guys a coffee or something at some show to make up for all this rigamarole.

“I’m disappointed that people assume they know my motivations for saying what I said. I’m not bitter about the “failure” of the Disney Epic Mickey games – I don’t consider them failures.

“Though I was wrong to take out general frustrations on an individual game and on a single team, I’ll stand by my overall statement about lack of variety and innovation in mainstream gaming. I was simply expressing, once again, my long-held belief that we make too many shooters, lots of which look, sound and feel like basically the same game dressed up in different clothes. I’ve been saying that for years – it’s nothing new.

Wolfenstein: The New Order is a single-player FPS which is in the works for PC, PS3, Xbox 360 and next-gen systems.

It is in development at MachineGames and is set for release in Q4 2013.

1. ps3fanboy

have some balls spector and stand by your words… this is weak.

#1 1 year ago
  2. Gheritt White

^Not as weak as your comment.

#2 1 year ago
  3. zinc

Fair play to Mr Spector. I wonder how many devs toiling away at the next big shooter are actually silently agreeing with him?

Though if I’m honest, I can’t remember the last game I played that didn’t involve guns… Dragon Age maybe?

#3 1 year ago
  4. Djoenz

Yeah man Im getting sick and tired of guns tbh.
    Dragon Age most definitely was a fresh breath of air.

I might say Dead Island for me cause I hardly used guns in that game same for Riptide.

Oh and Mortal Kombat 9 but it got super dull real quick.

I havent bought Bioshock Infinite yet because its a shooter.

#4 1 year ago
  5. Edo

“Wolfenstein got in the line of fire, but I’ve been shooting at this target for a long time.”Yep,a matter of bad timing,he should’ve made this comment like 7 days ago….

#5 1 year ago
  6. cw5th

It is good to see that he is aware of his unfair comment. He just should have aimed these words at the publishers and their never pleased shareholders.

But on the other hand the public is responsible because they’re buying those games. If everyone wants to play jump’n runs and shooters aren’t selling anymore then those game factorys will churn out jump’n runs or other demanded flavours…

Nearly no big dev has the financial indipendence to make what it wants.

#6 1 year ago
  7. TheWulf

It’s a shame many people (even here) still don’t understand what Spector is talking about. There’s this whole thing with generic settings that have next to no character of their own, and they all play up this immature version of grimdark as you can’t yet expect a game to have the gravitas of a film like Blade Runner. So what happens is that even the best examples of that are very childish — I’m looking at you, Witcher.

And yes, it also applies to fantasy settings. Generic and/or dark are things that many games suffer with, today. Reinventing the wheel for novelty’s sake is something that should happen in the entertainment industry, but far too many are playing it safe. They’re going with comfort zones and just selling what they know the mainstream will lap up. I mean, how many instances of something like Pan’s Labyrinth has gaming had?

This is why gaming isn’t taken very seriously, as it tends to be popcorn entertainment. And even when it’s trying to be grimdark, it’s a childlike grimdark without the philosophical and moralistic underbelly that carry films of the same trope. This is why I’ll sometimes have more fun with SR3 than a grimdark game, because games are still better at doing that.

I’m not saying that we shouldn’t try, but there’s this cancer at the moment of a sort of generic, faux grimdark thing. It’s kind of what kids would see adult films as, you know? You can’t really even put the Witcher alongside something like Blade Runner. The original, maybe, if you squint and turn your head a bit, but most certainly not the Director’s Cut. And I’m sorry if that upsets anyone.

But games like To the Moon have come closer to being mature games than anything else has to date. New Vegas had some brilliantly mature writing, too, which separated it from the mainstream.

I guess what I’m saying is that we should step away from grimdark and grey palettes. Grey palettes should be left to die, whilst we learn to embrace colour and arty aesthetics again. In the interim, we should work on creating games which are actually mature — and then, at some point in the future, when the mainstream is ready; then we turn back to grimdark to see if it can be handled with any amount of maturity.

But right now, all we have is popcorn grimdark. And I don’t want popcorn grimdark. Popcorn grimdark is generic, dull, and about as philosophical and moralistic as a Nascar fan.

—Edit—

For the record, this is why I said that I was glad when I heard that CDPR was stepping away from popcorn grimdark with Cyberpunk 2077. If they can first learn how to make genuinely mature games, then they’re on the right path. But we really have to drop this popcorn grimdark thing down the nearest well, first. This is a wheel that needs to be reinvented.

#7 1 year ago
  8. Demigod

He does have a point, to a degree but went about it in an undiplomatic way.

To put my own point in an undiplomatic way it would help his case if he had actually made a good game in over a decade. The epic mickey games wasn’t a failure in one respect that they met his vision but critically and financially they failed. We do need a large variety of games but we do have that especially if you include tablet, mobile and Indy the problem is at E3 and the games press in general don’t show them as much, there isn’t the add money in it.

#8 1 year ago
  9. Ali

I am totally interested in this game and I have always loved the franchise and considered it to be the classic that should never die. I am not really sure why shouldn’t Wolfenstein remain with us. Even if its concept is overused, it is actually the first to do it and you can’t blame an original game for doing what the others followed it for.

Spector has no point in his comments, if he is so frustrated about the genre, he could have fired the on CoD/BF, but he did so only when Wolfenstein showed up as if it’s budget is bigger than the other mentioned games. Spector should know that Deus Ex possibly his best game and one of the best games ever was violent and has enough gore to be one of the “Sterioids promoting games”

I have heard him praising David Cage for his games, I have never liked em and I am not really a big fan of whatever Beyond is. But unlike Spector, Cage works hard to live to his points rather than just throwing trash at whatever the there are doing.

#9 1 year ago
  10. povu

When was the last Nazi shooter outside the Wolfenstein series that didn’t have them as zombies only?

#10 1 year ago
  11. rusty_shackleford

we need more wolfenstein! its hardly an overdone franchise, theres what, less than 10 wolfenstein games in 30+ years? and maybe only 3-4 major wolfenstein games. its hardly a played out franchise and its definitely a different kind of shooter than your generic realistic gloom and doom fps.

what has spector done in the last decade thats relevant? dues ex was alright but its no platform to talk down on other games a couple decades later….

#11 1 year ago
  12. Mineral4r7s

@7 ever tried Dark Souls?

#12 1 year ago
  13. fihar

He’s got a point though. When was the last time a non-Nintendo AAA title uses a bright colour palette, is whimsical in nature and doesn’t involve blood?

#13 1 year ago